Gen 3 Event Generation Algorithm Research (10ANNIV, etc)

17 minutes ago, Ammako said:

I'm just waiting to see the chaos on ebay from all those people making fake Mystry Mew distro cartridges, now that the save files have been publicly posted and shared.

;)

Way easier to do that than to make bootleg distro carts, and even that isn't going to happen (and honestly, you'd be naive to think that any current Mystry Mew cartridge showing up on ebay -didn't- have its save file dumped to be reused for a future save, if it wasn't already a fake.)

Bur I think we've already said everything there was to say. If at this point you still defend the point of view that it shouldn't go public when your only arguments are baseless worst case scenario assumptions that we can easily disprove, there is nothing more we can say that will change that.

Are there any save editors for Gen. III that let you view the trash bytes and that pose no risk of altering them, by the way? Every save editor I've used doesn't seem to display them and I'm not sure how they handle that.

Plus where are all the bootleg Gen IV and V distro carts? I've seen sites that sell reproduction DS games so it is possible to do.

23 minutes ago, Invader TAK said:

Plus where are all the bootleg Gen IV and V distro carts? I've seen sites that sell reproduction DS games so it is possible to do.

Not just the fact that the carts are out there, but so are the roms.

Unless all the ones that can be seen are bootlegs (the crisp images says otherwise),
it seems that there are no carts because the demand for it may not be there.

I think that people who are aware of distro carts are likely informed enough to know about roms too..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Not just the fact that the carts are out there, but so are the roms.

Unless all the ones that can be seen are bootlegs (the crisp images says otherwise),
it seems that there are no carts because the demand for it may not be there.

I think that people who are aware of distro carts are likely informed enough to know about roms too..

And they likely have a DS Flash Cart to run the ROMs (and homebrew programs) themselves.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

What is that link? Not Pastebin. Every single time I try to open it, Malwarebytes just completely blocks it. 

The ROM. I doubled up on the links to keep it more indirectly connected from the site due to the legality of roms in general. I don't want to put the site in any potential trouble.

If it makes you unsure about it being malicious, I can upload it elsewhere, but I've uploaded files before so I hope that would help the credibility.

Edit: Oh, well if it's being blocked regardless, I can put another link up.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

The ROM. I doubled up on the links to keep it more indirectly connected from the site due to the legality of roms in general. I don't want to put the site in any potential trouble.

If it makes you unsure about it being malicious, I can upload it elsewhere, but I've uploaded files before so I hope that would help the credibility.

It's not that I'm unsure. Malwarebytes blocks it on FireFox and Chrome. I couldn't figure out how to make a web exclusion. It's not really something I've ever looked into, why would I?

Spoiler

LnyzAYA.png

It would be more of a curiosity to me anyway I guess. I don't have a GBA flashcard and I learned a bit about GBA distro roms recently. The 10th anniv one needs a link cable and I can't really do that with an emulator or an R4. I also can't program or make tools so it would be useless to me there as well. But hopefully the people who can do those things can download it. 

I'm fairly certain the VBA emulator has link cable emulation support. Though I mainly uploaded it for historical preservation, and for public knowledge, especially after I saw the demand for it from our researchers. A GBA everdrive will get the job done for those who want to use it if VBA doesn't work. Anyway, i put up two more links if the first one gives anyone trouble.

dfR7FH4.png

0TWUjF5.png

Note, I'm sorry if anyone didn't want this public, but I've been thinking hard about it for a while. I did pay a large amount of money for it so I understand that, but I honestly don't believe GBA distribution roms will make it that much easier to make counterfeits with than with DS distribution roms. It's 2016 and all pokemon distribution related data should be publicly available. We already started with posting our Mew saves regardless the obvious potential repercussions, so why stop now?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

I'm fairly certain the VBA emulator has link cable emulation support. Though I mainly uploaded it for historical preservation, and for public knowledge, especially after I saw the demand for it from our researchers. A GBA everdrive will get the job done for those who want to use it if VBA doesn't work. Anyway, i put up two more links if the first one gives anyone trouble.

dfR7FH4.png

Reveal hidden contents

0TWUjF5.png

Note, I'm sorry if anyone didn't want this public, but I've been thinking hard about it for a while. I did pay a large amount of money for it so I understand that, but I honestly don't believe GBA distribution roms will make it that much easier to make counterfeits with than with DS distribution roms. It's 2016 and all pokemon distribution related data should be publicly available. We already started with posting our Mew saves regardless the obvious potential repercussions, so why stop now?

Yeah, VBA has link support. I've just NEVER been able to get it to work properly. VBA is the most unstable program I've ever used. 

2 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

Yeah, VBA has link support. I've just NEVER been able to get it to work properly. VBA is the most unstable program I've ever used. 

Use VBA-M Beta 2 https://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/

Or VBA-M Beta 3 (which I haven't tested yet) https://github.com/visualboyadvance-m/visualboyadvance-m/releases

Link support was improved and is mostly stable now. Here's a tutorial for setting up multiplayer http://web.archive.org/web/20151006182128/http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-multiple-instances-of-vba-m?pid=7684

Thanks Deoxyz for that unexpected christmas gift!

And Merry Christmas everybody!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BlackShark said:

Use VBA-M Beta 2 https://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/

Or VBA-M Beta 3 (which I haven't tested yet) https://github.com/visualboyadvance-m/visualboyadvance-m/releases

Link support was improved and is mostly stable now. Here's a tutorial for setting up multiplayer http://web.archive.org/web/20151006182128/http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-multiple-instances-of-vba-m?pid=7684

Thanks Deoxyz for that unexpected christmas gift!

And Merry Christmas everybody!

Not to sound un-appreciative. But that newest version of VBA has already crashed on me when I tried to reset emulation. I tried to do a wired link between two instances of the program and it doesn't make any sense how this would work. 

With the instructions on how to use the Distro cart that I have, I don't see how it would work with VBA. 

VBA keeps crashing. You need to start the Distro cart and Then turn on and insert the other GBA game. And it just got all laggy and choppy. That usually happens to me after I've used it for a while and then I have to basically re-download it. I swear, that has to be one of the most poorly made programs I've ever used.

I'm just going to have to wait until I get an actual cart in my possession. No big deal. 

VBA/VBA-M do not support multiboot mode emulation. This should work:

1. Download the latest no$gba emulator. (nocashgba-w-v2.8d)

2. Download the bios file for gba and rename it to gba.rom

3. Place the gba.rom file where the no$gba.exe file is.

4. Open the no$gba file and then go to Options -> Emulator Setup. Now, set:

a) Reset/Startup Entrypoint -> GBA/NDS BIOS (Nintendo logo).

b) Number of Emulated Gameboys -> 2.

c) Link Gamepaks -> Gamepaks in all GBAs.

d) Link Cable Type -> Automatic.

6. After you are done with optimazing the settings, go to the no$gba screen and right click -> Link. This should open two gba screens.

7. At the top left, File -> Cartridge Menu (FileName).

8. Check the "Autostart Cartridge" option at the bottom left and choose the "1st machine" option right next to the "Autostart Cartridge" button.

9. Choose as "File name" the rom of the available Gen III games you want to send the pokemon to and click "Open".

10. Repeat the same procedure but this time choose the "2nd machine" option, UNcheck the "Autostart Cartridge" option and choose the GBA distribution rom you want.

11. All you have to do now is follow the steps for the multiboot mode activation. Hold START + SELECT to do so.

BE CAREFUL: You have to manually change the controls for each one of the emulated GBAs. The START + SELECT step should be done on the slave GBA aka the gba that emulates the pokemon game rom where the event pokemon are going to be sent to.

Thanks @Deoxyz for releasing this! I feel sorry for the people who paid serious money for the genuine gba distribution cartridges.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, pMD said:

Thanks for releasing this! I feel sorry for the people who paid serious money for the genuine gba distribution cartridges.

I still don't see the problem. I'm honestly grateful. The less people who aren't serious videogame collectors like me, trying to buy these things the better. These are very expensive and the few of us willing to buy them could do with less competition. I also don't see this as de-valuing the carts. 

I can download gen 3 games online for free but that hasn't de-valued the physical carts or made me want to buy the physical ones any less. 

• Like 2

I managed to grab the ROM before the post got hidden. It's flashing to my GBA size EZ Flash 3-in-1 as I type this. I'm shaking because I never thought I'd see any of these ROMs release.

EDIT: It flashed and I was able to send a Latias to my LeafGreen!

Edited by Invader TAK
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Invader TAK said:

I managed to grab the ROM before the post got hidden. It's flashing to my GBA size EZ Flash 3-in-1 as I type this. I'm shaking because I never thought I'd see any of these ROMs release.

EDIT: It flashed and I was able to send a Latias to my LeafGreen!

Glad to hear it's the real deal.

Couldn't get it working regardless of what emu I was using.

• Like 1

Just now, theSLAYER said:

Glad to hear it's the real deal.

Couldn't get it working regardless of what emu I was using.

Now if the trash bytes all match the other 10th Anniversary distributions, then we could just modify this ROM and also use it to figure out the trash bytes of the missing MYSTRY Mews.

Just now, ajxpk said:

@theSLAYER try VBALink 1.8.! Works like a charm for me.

Options > Emulator > Select BIOS file...
Options > Emulator > Use BIOS file > CHECK

If everything done right the GBA BIOS will pop up...
Image result for game boy advance bios gif

i ended up using no$gba, since my vbalink dies on me. also my gamesave (receiving) had to be the second screen..

I was using 1.7.2 and it kept getting stuck in some kind of loop where it had connection for a split second and then it died.

I guess maybe 1.8 works better, but I didn't really care to bother because the only reason I was bothering with emulators is because my GBA has no batteries :P which is an easy fix.

I don't think it's really anything specific to the distro, it just connects through the usual single pak connection that many other games use. I looked into it and apparently it just doesn't work so well because no one really has a reason to play multiplayer games through single pak on emulators, so there was never an incentive to make it work properly.

But I guess it doesn't help that Link function in VBA is just pretty bad in general, in my experience. NO$GBA is a lot more stable for this but I guess I missed the options that let you use GBA BIOS when I looked through Emulation options, lol.

1 minute ago, HaxAras said:

For the time being: I envy all of you so much. I can't get VBA to work properly with regular GBA games half the time and I looked into GBA flash carts but could never find any. Or I don't think I did. hahahahahah What can you do though? 

Seems the best GBA flash cart out now is the Everdrive X5. I think it's like $100 so, yeah.

If there are any issues with the distribution, make sure you have placed a proper save file in the "BATTERY" folder. (for no$gba)

Also, the extension of the save file should be .SAV. For instance, LeafGreen.SAV.

The left GBA screen on no$gba is gba-1 and the right screen is gba-2. If your Pokemon ROM is emulated on the right screen, the save file extension should be .SAV2.

The Everdrive X5 definitely looks really good, but if money is an issue, you can get EZ4 MicroSD for less (about $30 less or so.)

Downsides are, it requires patching for SRAM save type + EZ4 header, doesn't have RTC, relies on battery-backed memory for holding saves, and only has 16MB of PSRAM memory (meaning that 32MB games have to be written to NOR memory first.) Save files are written back to SD after returning to the EZ4 menu, which can become a problem if the battery dies out, but I get around that by reset patching my roms so that I can SR right back to the EZ4 menu without having to power off. I have the original miniSD one, but I'm pretty sure the new microSD version has the same flaws (the new one also doesn't have NDS mode, just a warning in case you'd be interested in that.)

Maybe not necessarily for you, since I figured you'd be able to afford $100 for the Everdrive, but could be worth looking into for anybody else who can't spend as much.