Simple question about PIDs

NekoSabrina

Lately, just for fun, I've been messing around with some Gen 5 roms and using PokeGen to do things in them that I wouldn't do in my actual cart games (like take Articuno through Opelucid Gym, being super overlevelled for the Elite Four, N, and Ghetsis, and other crazy stuff like that). However the thought occurred to me that PokeGen could potentially help with one of those annoying factors in Pokémon: determining what Wurmple evolves into. Since it's reliant on PIDs, you normally never know until it evolves, but since PokeGen can show you the PIDs, maybe now some influence can be brought into the picture.

As you see by my attachment, I have two Wurmples here. The first one (female with Modest) I want to evolve into Silcoon, the second one (male, nature probably to be changed later) into Cascoon. While their PIDs are visible, I haven't a damn clue what to actually do with them, or how to understand them enough to know if they'll evolve into what I want or if I have to change their PIDs to invoke the evolutions I want.

The second question is one that I think I can already guess the answer to, but I'll ask anyway just to be absolutely sure. As I've been messing around with stuff in PokeGen, I've always made it a habit to blank out the PID field so the game can reset it to match whatever changes I've made.....but most of the time, the only changes I've made are to nature and IVs, and it sounds like those are not involved in any of the PID data in Gen 5 (and beyond). Do I actually have to change the PIDs if I'm making simple edits like that, or just leave them alone unless I'm making a major change like Shininess?

wurmple1.png

Edited by NekoSabrina

So for Wurmple if the PID in hex ends in 0-7 I believe it'll evolve into silcoon, 8+ for cascoon. In regards to changing the pid after minor edits; it not necessay. IV's and nature are unrelated to PID, starting this generation (Gen 5).  In regards to shininess if you don't care about traded status just click get shiny id in the OT/Misc tab

Bulbapedia made it sound like there was a whole complex formula to determining whether Wurmple evolves into Silcoon or Cascoon. I guess I'll experiment and see what I come up with.

EDIT: As it turns out, BOTH Wurmples evolve into Silcoon. Good for the female, which I wanted to evolve into Silcoon. Not so much on the other one, which I wanted to evolve into Cascoon. This pretty much debunks the simple what-the-hex-ends-in theory, since in hex that Wurmple's PID is B608B5DF (with the B608 part, according to bulbapedia, being where the determination of Wurmple's evolution is in Gen 5+). Converting the B608 to straight numbers comes out to 46600. Not sure how simple or hard this change might get from here.

EDIT 2: Well, it seems to be pretty easy, or maybe I just got really lucky. I changed the raw number to 46605, which changed the hex to B60D, and that was enough to make the second Wurmple evolve into Cascoon.

Edited by NekoSabrina