VC RBY - Virtual Console Mew (UK)

BlackShark

8 hours ago, Deoxyz said:

I saw this in my subscriptions feed yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, but it should provide the knowledge needed to alter them via 8F exploitation.

Hide contents

To be honest though, since we're using an exploit that to give us an otherwise unobtainable and illegal result, I don't see the point in the extra effort of preforming exploits over just changing the DVs to 10/10/10/10 with a save editor. It doesn't make it anymore legit, it's still an exploit to obtain something illegitimately. That's just me though. Props to those who want to do it this way.

I don't care what other people see as legit or legal. If it can be done with in-game glitches or the data is in the game (in the case of island Pokemon in gen 3 for ex.) it will have a place in my collection. So if It can be done legit, using official hardware, without save editors. I'd prefer to do it that way. 

12 hours ago, HaxAras said:

I don't care what other people see as legit or legal. If it can be done with in-game glitches or the data is in the game (in the case of island Pokemon in gen 3 for ex.) it will have a place in my collection. So if It can be done legit, using official hardware, without save editors. I'd prefer to do it that way. 

Both Deoxyz and HaxAras provide valid points,
so my contribution to this discussion is this:

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you do in-game, as long as you get maximum satisfaction.

Legality issue comes up when you interact with other players.
As long as we respect what their take on it is, then it's all good.

If we don't know what their take is (such as online play), we should follow community standards,
to only trade Legit/Legal Pokemon, which in this case,
the Shiny Mew does not qualify, as it was distributed with 15 DVs, meaning not intended to be shiny.

(It doesn't matter whether transporter blocks it or not.
Arbitrary Code Execution is in the realm of cheating,
as opposed to a single trade oversight [shiny Manaphy egg])

<Also I agree with HaxAras: I try to do everything in game without save editors, it's epic fun this way>

edit:
For any users that shadow this thread,
I've uploaded pk1 and pk7 for Mews (Eng and Jpn):

edit 2:
Since International copies non-Japanese copies can trade with one another, and language of transported Pokemon follows game it was transported from:

[I was able to trade on VC between ENG and SPA, and not ENG and JPN]
(all the PK7 was transported by me.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Both Deoxyz and HaxAras provide valid points,
so my contribution to this discussion is this:

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you do in-game, as long as you get maximum satisfaction.

Legality issue comes up when you interact with other players.
As long as we respect what their take on it is, then it's all good.

If we don't know what their take is (such as online play), we should follow community standards,
to only trade Legit/Legal Pokemon, which in this case,
the Shiny Mew does not qualify, as it was distributed with 15 DVs, meaning not intended to be shiny.

(It doesn't matter whether transporter blocks it or not.
Arbitrary Code Execution is in the realm of cheating,
as opposed to a single trade oversight [shiny Manaphy egg])

<Also I agree with HaxAras: I try to do everything in game without save editors, it's epic fun this way>

edit:
For any users that shadow this thread,
I've uploaded pk1 and pk7 for Mews (Eng and Jpn):

edit 2:
Since International copies non-Japanese copies can trade with one another, and language of transported Pokemon follows game it was transported from:

[I was able to trade on VC between ENG and SPA, and not ENG and JPN]
(all the PK7 was transported by me.)

I trade a ton of Pokemon online. I'm more of a hoarder though. With certain un-released Pokemon like the English Agate Celebi, Colos Pikachu, etc. I just choose to inform people about what they are and let them arrive at their own conclusions. I don't battle often. Most of my team was traded for. I bred 1 myself and raised 2 of them. 

10 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

I trade a ton of Pokemon online. I'm more of a hoarder though. With certain un-released Pokemon like the English Agate Celebi, Colos Pikachu, etc. I just choose to inform people about what they are and let them arrive at their own conclusions. I don't battle often. Most of my team was traded for. I bred 1 myself and raised 2 of them. 

Yeah as Long as we inform them of it as is, it's Not a problem.

I also went ahead to get myself a Gen 1 shiny Mew lels 

On 1/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, RupeeClock said:

Fantastic to see the Mew files archived onto the gallery, with accommodating event videos. :)

It helps that the VC Mews are always perfect DV clones. And considering Glitch Mews are blocked (unless you use the 8F method to change the OT and TID), I wouldn't surprised if more VC Mew events happen this year.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2017 at 1:05 AM, Invader TAK said:

It helps that the VC Mews are always perfect DV clones. And considering Glitch Mews are blocked (unless you use the 8F method to change the OT and TID), I wouldn't surprised if more VC Mew events happen this year.

Since we already have the Mew,
the next thing I'm looking forward to is VC release of Crystal.

If they're nice enough to give us the GS ball,
we may finally get our first Shiny Celebi!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Since we already have the Mew,
the next thing I'm looking forward to is VC release of Crystal.

If they're nice enough to give us the GS ball,
we may finally get our first Shiny Celebi!

What'd be really cool is if they work Crystal's Mobile Data Center into the 3DS's online, but that'd mean altering things for the non-Japanese release.

1 minute ago, Invader TAK said:

What'd be really cool is if they work Crystal's Mobile Data Center into the 3DS's online, but that'd mean altering things for the non-Japanese release.

That's if they do get it to work.
(also, they could make our VC Gen 1 work off friends list, but nooooo, they only wanted to make it Local :/)

Have there been any VC games that use 3DS's Internet (not local wireless) functions so far?

5 minutes ago, Invader TAK said:

In fact the datas still exist in International Version but are not used. The map also.

So if they want to use it it'll be easy.

But I think that it'll be easier to just erase the data and replace it with a Global Link system or something like that.

Edit: Or a LAN yeah like in VBA.

Edited by jojo12100

2 minutes ago, jojo12100 said:

In fact the datas still exist in International Version but are not used. The map also.

So if they want to use it it'll be easy.

But I think that it'll be easier to just erase the data and replace it with a Global Link system or something like that.

I think replacing it with the Global Link system is NOT easy at all.

Architecture should be completely different.

It'll be easier for them to just make it local wireless, again. (since they're lazy)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I think replacing it with the Global Link system is NOT easy at all.

Architecture should be completely different.

It'll be easier for them to just make it local wireless, again. (since they're lazy)

You're right they're lazy and that's sad because there's so much thing to do.

Sometimes "new functions" are not released because of technical issues (double wild battle for example) but most of the time is purely "arbitrary".

Maybe we can launch a new project to show them it's possible? I mean to trade worldwide with a GSC rom.

Edited by jojo12100

The VC local wireless does even use standard comuniaction protocols? I recall older pokémon games using custom ones for local trading, but I agree global trading with chat rooms would be possible, or even just a box to input IP... but so difficult to implement. They could have added an alternative box managing system to the emulator, but they didn't (that's something I wished to happen).

What I still have my hopes on is that they release celebi as an event. There's an easy way to do this, but I don't think they'll be doing it:

1.- Have special download codes for the people "wining" the event
2.- The code downloads an app from the store
3.- When the app is run, you can select a crystal game in the console and enable the celebi event.

That would work, but I highly doubt we'll be seeing this, they'll just go for trade distro again if they ever do this. The celebi event is just a flag, when it's enabled you'll start the gs ball events after exiting the pokémon center in 

My opinion is that the original distro was probably just a script uploaded to the server that the game would download and execute, a script I guess was only enabling that flag, in the same way the egg events were reproduced a while ago at glitchcity forums by hacky, but unfortunately the download links are long gone (even though we could have downloaded the files when they were online with a computer, if we knew the address).

1 hour ago, suloku said:

The VC local wireless does even use standard comuniaction protocols? I recall older pokémon games using custom ones for local trading, but I agree global trading with chat rooms would be possible, or even just a box to input IP... but so difficult to implement. They could have added an alternative box managing system to the emulator, but they didn't (that's something I wished to happen).

What I still have my hopes on is that they release celebi as an event. There's an easy way to do this, but I don't think they'll be doing it:

1.- Have special download codes for the people "wining" the event
2.- The code downloads an app from the store
3.- When the app is run, you can select a crystal game in the console and enable the celebi event.

That would work, but I highly doubt we'll be seeing this, they'll just go for trade distro again if they ever do this. The celebi event is just a flag, when it's enabled you'll start the gs ball events after exiting the pokémon center in 

My opinion is that the original distro was probably just a script uploaded to the server that the game would download and execute, a script I guess was only enabling that flag, in the same way the egg events were reproduced a while ago at glitchcity forums by hacky, but unfortunately the download links are long gone (even though we could have downloaded the files when they were online with a computer, if we knew the address).

Yeah they'd never do that, they know 100% it would immediately get uploaded to various piracy websites. :P

It's more likely they would host it through Pokémon Bank, if they did something like that. They can always make a Bank update that adds a serial code redemption menu, give away serial codes, user enters it, selects a relevant VC game, and the gift gets written to its save file.

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

That's an awful screw up. Though I'm sure the trashbytes could be corrected, and it probably isn't checked for transfer legality. Even if you don't care to transfer, those question marks would annoy me. Luckily I had already decided to use a fresh YOSHIRA in my Crystal playthrough.

Well, the nickname and OT can be fixed via ACE in GS.

yup, those trash bytes aren't checked (which is why ACE'd Mew will transfer)

The Trash Bytes aren't really the issue. They just forgot to add the terminator directly after the name. In Gen 1 0x00 is treated like a terminator, but Gen 2 behaves differently, as it is an illegal input.

Unlike some people say I still don't buy the idea that the Trash Bytes were added on purpose, just to prevent nicknaming. As the odds of having the same Name and TID are so small. And someone who can hack the game can do anything. Besides it would only make sense for the OT Name but doesn't make sense for the Species name. And the OT Trash Bytes are there because they overwrote the レッド/Red default name with ゲーフリ/GF. It's easy to see, because what you find in as trash bytes in the OT Name are are bytes from the other default names.

It's probably just a normal Red Version with a patch. The patch includes removed/blocked save functionality, game starts at the Pokémon Center infront of the Cable Club, but before it skips the introduction, automatically selects the first default name with the overwritten bytes... sets a fix Trainer ID, unlocks the Pokedex to be able to trade and generates a Mew into Team Slot one and sets IVs to 0xFFFF. This would not be the case if Mew was generated based on the ingame mechanics alone, so it could be preset... but that wouldn't explain the OTN trash bytes, and that's why I believe it must have been generated like a normal Pokémon at some point, or the name is taken from the same string as the Trainer's.

@Holla!. Interesting. Can you extract the Mew pk2 from your Crystal VC game? Would love to see what happened. Or maybe this is part of the Crystal patch?

Edited by ajxpk
  • Like 1

Ah yeah I remember that now. Would love to get it. Just to see what exactly they did. Btw. I kinda wonder what they did with Crystal. I saw the new patch file but it doesn't look like there is something in if that has to do with it.

Thanks @Holla!. I will check it out as soon as I can get back to my computer. If they really fixed it, it would be wonderful.

Edited by ajxpk