VC RBY - Virtual Console Mew (UK)

BlackShark

19 hours ago, Invader TAK said:

Well, there's only one way to find out! I'll try it later (if someone doesn't beat me to it), I need to get some sleep.

Running into a problem. I can't find trading patches for RGBY, just GSC and some ROM hacks (like Prism). Someone who's better with software modification will have to try making a version of RGBY VC with both linking and restore points.

8 hours ago, ajxpk said:

Name Trash Bytes existed before and they had never a reason.

It prevents nicknaming the Mew in the case someone gets "by chance" the same OT and TID, but I really thought they would check the whole string, just like the game does. Of course the chance to make a glitch mew pass without any save editing requires soft reseting for a 1/65535 chance for the correct ID and even then it will came out as a "legal" gen 7 mew for what they care, unless you happen to get shiny DVs, that is.

Would they ban such a mew? It can be certainly adquired on unmodified console trough glitches (and patience) or arbitrary code execution.

24 minutes ago, Real.96 said:

Don't know if it has been answered before, but can the VC Mew Event (not the glitch one) be shiny? 

And also, is there a way to inject it? Or a save file with it?

I watched a video last night where some guy abused a glitch to make his gen 1 Nidoking shiny. So if you abuse the same glitch and replace Nidoking with Mew, then yes. 

My laziness will be my downfall. I'd like to do this but that is far too much work for somebody as lazy as I am. I figure if GF finds out, they might patch this or block the Mew. 

Just now, HaxAras said:

I watched a video last night where some guy abused a glitch to make his gen 1 Nidoking shiny. So if you abuse the same glitch and replace Nidoking with Mew, then yes. 

My laziness will be my downfall. I'd like to do this but that is far too much work for somebody as lazy as I am. I figure if GF finds out, they might patch this or block the Mew. 

I know this video, but talking about the Event, not the glitch. Can the same thing be done? Also can be softresetted to hace the right DV to be shiny?

The video in question is using an arbitrary execution glitch to rewrite certain parts of the Pokémon in save data, in order to give it the necessary DVs to make it shiny upon transfer.

From what I've gathered, the Mew import legality check is only checking for that OT/TID combination of GF/22796, I don't believe it actually checks that the Mew have 15/15/15/15/15 DVs?

So if I'm not mistaken, this would mean you could use the arbitrary execution glitch to give the Mew the necessary DVs, and it would successfully import and come through shiny. Technically speaking, it shouldn't be legal though as they never distributed any Mews that should conceivably be shiny.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Real.96 said:

I know this video, but talking about the Event, not the glitch. Can the same thing be done? Also can be softresetted to hace the right DV to be shiny?

The mew from the event always has all DV's set to 15, so it can't legally be shiny.

You can edit it's DV's to be shiny and then import it in the bank, since it only checks for the ot and tid

4 minutes ago, thaleskpl said:

The mew from the event always has all DV's set to 15, so it can't legally be shiny.

You can edit it's DV's to be shiny and then import it in the bank, since it only checks for the ot and tid

Perfect, that is what i wanted to know. Thanks a lot.

And is there a way to inject it? or a legit save file with it in?

1 minute ago, Real.96 said:

Perfect, that is what i wanted to know. Thanks a lot.

And is there a way to inject it? or a legit save file with it in?

Just download the pk1 that is somewhere in this thread, open your save in PkHex and inject it in your save's  1 after editing the mew's DVs.

You can extract and then inject your VC using cfw or homebrew save managers.

Also, there's no guarantee you will be able to transport the edited mew for long, since it's not legitimately available, only by editing using external programs or in-game hex editing using bugs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thaleskpl said:

Just download the pk1 that is somewhere in this thread, open your save in PkHex and inject it in your save's  1 after editing the mew's DVs.

You can extract and then inject your VC using cfw or homebrew save managers.

Also, there's no guarantee you will be able to transport the edited mew for long, since it's not legitimately available, only by editing using external programs or in-game hex editing using bugs

I don't want to edit it. I just want the legit one and not shiny. I found the save file in the previous comments, i will use it. Thanks a lot guys!

12 hours ago, RupeeClock said:

The video in question is using an arbitrary execution glitch to rewrite certain parts of the Pokémon in save data, in order to give it the necessary DVs to make it shiny upon transfer.

From what I've gathered, the Mew import legality check is only checking for that OT/TID combination of GF/22796, I don't believe it actually checks that the Mew have 15/15/15/15/15 DVs?

So if I'm not mistaken, this would mean you could use the arbitrary execution glitch to give the Mew the necessary DVs, and it would successfully import and come through shiny. Technically speaking, it shouldn't be legal though as they never distributed any Mews that should conceivably be shiny.

Yup.
Using this, you can give it the necessary DVs to be shiny.

Thing is, Pokemon Bank doesn't bother to check the DVs,
and even allows it to be imported shiny, as long as OT and TID is correct.

22 hours ago, HaxAras said:

Does anybody here actually have the ability to pull this glitch off? It would be amazing to have a Mew, birds and Mewtwo modified with this glitch and shared. 

I did arbitrary execution in GSC, 

but yet to try it for Pokemon RBY on VC. (Since I got debugging yellow, haven't had the motivation to do it).

its there's a Japanese version to it, I wouldn't mind trying.

On 1/28/2017 at 2:45 AM, HaxAras said:

Does anybody here actually have the ability to pull this glitch off? It would be amazing to have a Mew, birds and Mewtwo modified with this glitch and shared. 

I saw this in my subscriptions feed yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, but it should provide the knowledge needed to alter them via 8F exploitation.

To be honest though, since we're using an exploit that to give us an otherwise unobtainable and illegal result, I don't see the point in the extra effort of preforming exploits over just changing the DVs to 10/10/10/10 with a save editor. It doesn't make it anymore legit, it's still an exploit to obtain something illegitimately. That's just me though. Props to those who want to do it this way.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2017 at 4:53 AM, Invader TAK said:

Running into a problem. I can't find trading patches for RGBY, just GSC and some ROM hacks (like Prism). Someone who's better with software modification will have to try making a version of RGBY VC with both linking and restore points.

If you want the RGBY patches, dump a cia file of one of the original releases, decrypt it using Decrypt9, and go into the romfs. The patches will all have weird names, but they will match the name that each vc rom has for their respective releases (the actual rom is in the rom folder). I would give them to you, but I'm fairly certain they fall under the magical copyrighted content category.

However, just to save you the headache, let me tell you now that the old VC will more than likely not work with the trading patches. When gbatemp's TheStoneBanana was developing the Gen II patches, he pointed out the differences between the code.bin files of the old and new VC. One of them was the ability to read patches. If you want to work on restoring the save state feature, you should consider talking with him, since he was able to deduce how to restore the ability to use colors on the new VC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deoxyz said:

I saw this in my subscriptions feed yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, but it should provide the knowledge needed to alter them via 8F exploitation.

Hide contents

To be honest though, since we're using an exploit that to give us an otherwise unobtainable and illegal result, I don't see the point in the extra effort of preforming exploits over just changing the DVs to 10/10/10/10 with a save editor. It doesn't make it anymore legit, it's still an exploit to obtain something illegitimately. That's just me though. Props to those who want to do it this way.

I don't care what other people see as legit or legal. If it can be done with in-game glitches or the data is in the game (in the case of island Pokemon in gen 3 for ex.) it will have a place in my collection. So if It can be done legit, using official hardware, without save editors. I'd prefer to do it that way. 

12 hours ago, HaxAras said:

I don't care what other people see as legit or legal. If it can be done with in-game glitches or the data is in the game (in the case of island Pokemon in gen 3 for ex.) it will have a place in my collection. So if It can be done legit, using official hardware, without save editors. I'd prefer to do it that way. 

Both Deoxyz and HaxAras provide valid points,
so my contribution to this discussion is this:

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you do in-game, as long as you get maximum satisfaction.

Legality issue comes up when you interact with other players.
As long as we respect what their take on it is, then it's all good.

If we don't know what their take is (such as online play), we should follow community standards,
to only trade Legit/Legal Pokemon, which in this case,
the Shiny Mew does not qualify, as it was distributed with 15 DVs, meaning not intended to be shiny.

(It doesn't matter whether transporter blocks it or not.
Arbitrary Code Execution is in the realm of cheating,
as opposed to a single trade oversight [shiny Manaphy egg])

<Also I agree with HaxAras: I try to do everything in game without save editors, it's epic fun this way>

edit:
For any users that shadow this thread,
I've uploaded pk1 and pk7 for Mews (Eng and Jpn):

edit 2:
Since International copies non-Japanese copies can trade with one another, and language of transported Pokemon follows game it was transported from:

[I was able to trade on VC between ENG and SPA, and not ENG and JPN]
(all the PK7 was transported by me.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Both Deoxyz and HaxAras provide valid points,
so my contribution to this discussion is this:

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you do in-game, as long as you get maximum satisfaction.

Legality issue comes up when you interact with other players.
As long as we respect what their take on it is, then it's all good.

If we don't know what their take is (such as online play), we should follow community standards,
to only trade Legit/Legal Pokemon, which in this case,
the Shiny Mew does not qualify, as it was distributed with 15 DVs, meaning not intended to be shiny.

(It doesn't matter whether transporter blocks it or not.
Arbitrary Code Execution is in the realm of cheating,
as opposed to a single trade oversight [shiny Manaphy egg])

<Also I agree with HaxAras: I try to do everything in game without save editors, it's epic fun this way>

edit:
For any users that shadow this thread,
I've uploaded pk1 and pk7 for Mews (Eng and Jpn):

edit 2:
Since International copies non-Japanese copies can trade with one another, and language of transported Pokemon follows game it was transported from:

[I was able to trade on VC between ENG and SPA, and not ENG and JPN]
(all the PK7 was transported by me.)

I trade a ton of Pokemon online. I'm more of a hoarder though. With certain un-released Pokemon like the English Agate Celebi, Colos Pikachu, etc. I just choose to inform people about what they are and let them arrive at their own conclusions. I don't battle often. Most of my team was traded for. I bred 1 myself and raised 2 of them. 

10 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

I trade a ton of Pokemon online. I'm more of a hoarder though. With certain un-released Pokemon like the English Agate Celebi, Colos Pikachu, etc. I just choose to inform people about what they are and let them arrive at their own conclusions. I don't battle often. Most of my team was traded for. I bred 1 myself and raised 2 of them. 

Yeah as Long as we inform them of it as is, it's Not a problem.

I also went ahead to get myself a Gen 1 shiny Mew lels 

On 1/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, RupeeClock said:

Fantastic to see the Mew files archived onto the gallery, with accommodating event videos. :)

It helps that the VC Mews are always perfect DV clones. And considering Glitch Mews are blocked (unless you use the 8F method to change the OT and TID), I wouldn't surprised if more VC Mew events happen this year.

• Like 1