VC RBY - Virtual Console Mew (UK)

BlackShark

14 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

After reextracting I saw that the OT Name Trash Bytes are a little bit different tho'...

86 85 50 00 00 00 00 50 89 80 82

Let's at least wait for another Mew and then compare and see if it's identical.

Interesting, can you elaborate on the differences between the JP Mew, my Mew, and if one comes a third Mew?

Interesting that there's only one Mew in the party. From what I know about Gen 1 distributions they had a cart with many Mews on the save.

I wonder if the rom is set so it doesn't save when reset, did anybody see what the mew traders did between trades - were they just going straight in to the next trade or did they go to the PC and get a new one? I'd be surprised if they were getting new ones each time because then they would just put 6 in at a time to save time.

I just caught an interesting detail whilst rewatching the video.

It was only for the briefest of moments, but I noticed that the Mew distributor had access to Restore Points unlike normal Virtual Console versions of the game, and as soon as my trade was completed he used the restore point.

This could mean that they were in fact using a special version of Red or Blue VC, or there's actually something hidden in the VC release that may re-enable Restore Point usage, as this is still a VC release capable of link-trading.

20161122_180228.mp4_snapshot_02.00_[2016.12.07_18.30.39].jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RupeeClock said:

I just caught an interesting detail whilst rewatching the video.

It was only for the briefest of moments, but I noticed that the Mew distributor had access to Restore Points unlike normal Virtual Console versions of the game, and as soon as my trade was completed he used the restore point.

This could mean that they were in fact using a special version of Red or Blue VC, or there's actually something hidden in the VC release that may re-enable Restore Point usage, as this is still a VC release capable of link-trading.

20161122_180228.mp4_snapshot_02.00_[2016.12.07_18.30.39].jpg

Probably VC machine was just modified to allow save point restore.

1 minute ago, RupeeClock said:

I'm wondering if they may've even had the VC rom on a game card rather than on the system itself, but there's no way to tell from here.

As far as I know Nintendo doesn't use game cards anymore for Pokemon distributions since they were stolen in past generations. So they probably didn't use one in this case as well.

26 minutes ago, BlackShark said:

As far as I know Nintendo doesn't use game cards anymore for Pokemon distributions since they were stolen in past generations. So they probably didn't use one in this case as well.

Seems like the last time they used it was Gen V, and stopped using it for two generations.

That sounds about right, one of the last distros was the Liberty Ticket distro I think.

Everything after that has been distribution by password or Nintendo Zone in endorsed locations.

In any case, the restore point thing means that lots of Mews are identical to each other, but it's possible that the other distribution systems weren't identical to each other.

5 minutes ago, RupeeClock said:

That sounds about right, one of the last distros was the Liberty Ticket distro I think.

Everything after that has been distribution by password or Nintendo Zone in endorsed locations.

In any case, the restore point thing means that lots of Mews are identical to each other, but it's possible that the other distribution systems weren't identical to each other.

Actually if you check ebay, there's also a Zoroark carts.

Yeah, that means the Mews are all clones of each other.

There's ones for Keldeo and Meloetta, too.

Took a while before they stopped using distribution cartridges. Shame, the roms are more fun to have than the dumped Wondercards imo. :P

If it is a restore point, then every mew should be the same... probably.

Now, they had multiple consoles? Maybe different consoles got different trash... but I doubt it, if it is a custom VC release, the game might have a patch that makes the first pokemon always be a mew (we know the VC games have the original rom + on the fly patches). Restore point might only be for speeding purposes, unless it only allows loading the point and not saving, if it allows saving a restore point I don't think they'd risk losing the distro capabilities, hence that the first pokemon in the team gets always patched to be the mew seems like a good safety measure.

3 hours ago, XJ55 said:

That's great! I owned a Mew GEN I Distribution system ( the famous blue cart with several mews in it) which at some point was lost during a shipment and now it's gone forever. I was really interested in this old school mew event. So it seems that all the distributed mews were clones?

I actually managed to get a mew that came from one of those carts, thanks to Cirellio: 

I also read at some old google groups post from back at 2000 that the Mews in those carts were all 1:1 clones, unlike the ones coming from the distribution machines which had same OT, same IVs but different ID#. Do you happen to remember if the mews on the cart had all the same OT ID?

That's right, they had multiple consoles. My cousin was with me at the event and we received our Mews at the same time from different vendors.

We compared them briefly and they had matching IDs and stats, they appeared to be identical. His 3DS isn't hacked though and he lives in London unlike myself, so it's not possible to check his Mew to see if they're byte for byte the same.

1 minute ago, RupeeClock said:

That's right, they had multiple consoles. My cousin was with me at the event and we received our Mews at the same time from different vendors.

We compared them briefly and they had matching IDs and stats, they appeared to be identical. His 3DS isn't hacked though and he lives in London unlike myself, so it's not possible to check his Mew to see if they're byte for byte the same.

There's always the posibility of your cousing trading the mew to your console, you dump the save and then you trade it back. If you have the chance to do that, it would be awesome, actually comparing different vendor outputs.

5 minutes ago, suloku said:

There's always the posibility of your cousing trading the mew to your console, you dump the save and then you trade it back. If you have the chance to do that, it would be awesome, actually comparing different vendor outputs.

I'd like to do that myself if the chance happens, but it's very unlikely since we don't meet very often. Maybe I'll get to see him at Christmas time but that's the best that could happen. It's also possible that he's been playing the game since then and the Mew has levelled up or something.

There's also HMM who has yet to dump their save game, the only issue is there's no guarantee they had a different vendor to me.

Edited by RupeeClock

2 hours ago, RupeeClock said:

This is assuming you already have homebrew or custom firmware access on your 3DS.

• Use JK's Save Manager (JKSM) to extract your Pokémon Yellow VC Save.
    • If you are using the Homebrew Launcher version and it doesn't work properly, you may need to use the 9.6 MMAP files linked on that same page.
  • This will export a sav.dat file to your SD card under JKSM/Saves/Pokémon_Yellow/(custom folder name)/
  • Open this sav.dat file using PKX-Delta. When you open it, specify the correct game version.
  • Once your game save is open you should see your in-game team, boxes, etc. Select any slot to open the Pokemon Editor window.
  • On this Pokémon Editor window, select File and Open the event Mew file
  • Save the updated sav.dat file to the JKSM/Saves/Pokémon_Yellow/ directory, preferably in a new folder so you don't overwrite your backed up save.
  • Run JK's Save Manager again, and this time import your modified sav.dat save

If all went well, run Pokémon Yellow and you should see the Mew successfully injected.

can we also use PKHeX?

27 minutes ago, RupeeClock said:

I'd like to do that myself if the chance happens, but it's very unlikely since we don't meet very often. Maybe I'll get to see him at Christmas time but that's the best that could happen. It's also possible that he's been playing the game since then and the Mew has levelled up or something.

There really should be no difference to the relevant information, so even if it is leveled up and EV trainded, as long as we can take a look at the dumped mew it would be enough. Just try to restrain him from sending it over to gen7 until you can get a dump (if he wants one you can always transfer transfer one on your console to gen 7 and trade it over pgl to him).

3 minutes ago, suloku said:

There really should be no difference to the relevant information, so even if it is leveled up and EV trainded, as long as we can take a look at the dumped mew it would be enough. Just try to restrain him from sending it over to gen7 until you can get a dump (if he wants one you can always transfer transfer one on your console to gen 7 and trade it over pgl to him).

If I get to meet him at Christmas time that'll probably be my only chance to do this, which is before it can be legally transported to Gen 7 anyway. So there might be a chance but I can't promise anything.

• Like 1

Maybe your cousin knows someone with homebrew/custom firmware in his city? That would also be a viable solution, but well, I'm more than thankful for having one already available, and we will be getting HMM's one soon too. It may be from the same vendor (or rather, same 3ds) as you said.

2 minutes ago, suloku said:

Maybe your cousin knows someone with homebrew/custom firmware in his city? That would also be a viable solution, but well, I'm more than thankful for having one already available, and we will be getting HMM's one soon too. It may be from the same vendor (or rather, same 3ds) as you said.

I doubt that he does personally since he doesn't play games as much as he used to, and didn't know much about buying a bigger SD card for his 3DS despite buying games digitally. We'll just have to wait and see with HMM.

5 hours ago, RupeeClock said:

I was one of the lucky ones who won tickets to the event, I got to attend had a fun time there, got to meet Shigeki Morimoto and have some merch signed, got the event Mew and saw some great Team Skull cosplayers.

My 3DS was already hacked and I dumped my Pokémon Yellow game save as soon as I got home, unfortunately this site was still hacked at the time.

Attached is the dumped Mew file from my extracted sav.dat using JK's Save Manager, as well as screens from PKXDelta. If you need I can also share my sav.dat file. The Mew does indeed have perfect IVs. To clarify, the save was dumped immediately after receiving the Mew, it was never stored in a box.

Forthcoming is a video recording of actually receiving the Mew in a trade, and a couple of photos I took.

Pokémon Festival UK 22-11-2016 Mew

Pokémon Festival 22-11-2016 Mew dump.png

so how do you import this file?

1 minute ago, thunderkai said:

so how do you import this file?

I believe I already explained this, you definitely saw that. Did you have trouble understanding the instructions?

ajxpk a few posts up also supplied a file you can use with PKHex, instead of PKXDelta.

This is what happens if you modify the RED english rom like ajxpkm posted (not modifying the JACK name in any way):
0035bd6501.png

So, for the UK event, they used a custom VC Pokémon RED that patches the OT name to only be GF. Probably the patch prevents any other name input.
It would be interesting to get the patch to know exactly how the modifications for the distribution work, but in any case it seems every single Mew is exactly the same, and those trash bytes are only there because they slipped when patching the name selection screen because removing the second name prevents the third from showing at all, but it still gets into the OT trash bytes.

The JAP one does not have trash, mainly because the OT is only 5+terminator bytes long, or maybe because they did it correctly, who knows.

• Like 2

Fascinating, simply by examining the "trash" bytes and with intimate knowledge of the game's programming, you were able to deduce at the event was running a modified VC version of Pokémon Red.

The alterations could be done either patched on-the-fly or baked into the VC rom, but in either case coupled with the visible restore points is solid evidence of a special Distribution version of the game.

If it's a digital title, who knows, it might even exist on the eShop CDN like Sun/Moon did at some point. If it were though I would think it would've already been discovered though, and simply knowing about it's (possible) existence is probably insufficient to even acquire it.