VC RBY - Virtual Console Mew (UK)

BlackShark

5 minutes ago, HMM said:

While I didn't manage to win any tickets I turned up to the event anyway and managed to bullshit my way through the Bouncers and Nintendo employees. So I managed to get a Mew which has identical stats and ID/OT to the one posted above. Unfortunately, I stupidly forgot to charge my main 3DS so I had to use my second one which isn't hacked and is on the newest firmware. Luckily I believe you only need the Homebrew Launcher to extract save files and thus PKX files and I have OoT and a Powersaves device so I can install the Homebrew Launcher even on 11.2. However they are on the other side of the country right now so I won't be able to do so for a week or two.

Anyway, here are some images of the Mew and from the event. Hopefully they are good enough proof.

Glad Project Pokemon is back.

NICE!

44 minutes ago, suloku said:

Wow! This is awesome!

Yes, you can dump with your setup from the 11.2 3DS, please contact me if you need any assistance as the vc releases need the 9.6+ mmap xml files.

Also, is the save with the mew just after receiving it? Shouldn't make much difference, but a just received state, with no storage in pc would be the best for archival purposes.

These are so good news!

Missed your question just then. Unfortunately, I did put it into the PC before saving.

Edited by HMM

I was one of the lucky ones who won tickets to the event, I got to attend had a fun time there, got to meet Shigeki Morimoto and have some merch signed, got the event Mew and saw some great Team Skull cosplayers.

My 3DS was already hacked and I dumped my Pokémon Yellow game save as soon as I got home, unfortunately this site was still hacked at the time.

Attached is the dumped Mew file from my extracted sav.dat using JK's Save Manager, as well as screens from PKXDelta. If you need I can also share my sav.dat file. The Mew does indeed have perfect IVs. To clarify, the save was dumped immediately after receiving the Mew, it was never stored in a box.

Forthcoming is a video recording of actually receiving the Mew in a trade, and a couple of photos I took.

Pokémon Festival UK 22-11-2016 Mew

Pokémon Festival 22-11-2016 Mew dump.png

Edited by RupeeClock
  • Like 5

That's great! I owned a Mew GEN I Distribution system ( the famous blue cart with several mews in it) which at some point was lost during a shipment and now it's gone forever. I was really interested in this old school mew event. So it seems that all the distributed mews were clones?

25 minutes ago, XJ55 said:

That's great! I owned a Mew GEN I Distribution system ( the famous blue cart with several mews in it) which at some point was lost during a shipment and now it's gone forever. I was really interested in this old school mew event. So it seems that all the distributed mews were clones?

Yes. All clones. Same as in Japan.
I just had a little bit time to check it out and it's surprisingly identical...
Name Thrash Bytes are the same as in the Japanese ones, all zero padding with one single terminator (0x50) at the end.

Btw. Does anyone here still has the JP VC Mew save file? I have only a jpk1 file of it. 

EDIT: 
OK! Got it! 
Thanks to suloku.

Edited by ajxpk

Hmm, that's a shame then, no difference at all.

Seeing as we'll be able to import these Mews via Poké Bank in the January update, it looks like it won't be able to examine any trash bytes or any unique flags or anything to differentiate event or region. Who knows what the end result of the transfer will be.

At least we know that now.

Yeah, but I agree with what you said, that it would be getter to get more of them just to be 100% sure.

Very interesting video btw! Looks like a modified VC Game with a Reset Option instead of Save in the Start Menu.
Also interesting to note... he has only 1 Mew in the Team, normally it isn't possible to Trade with just one Pokémon.

Edited by ajxpk

The Yellow version on my end is just the Virtual Console version, I can't remember what it was like to do link trades on the original console but it's entirely possible that they modified the game to work with the VC changes that enable link communications over local wireless.

That is an interesting detail, maybe the rom he was running was not Red or Blue version as-is, but actually a distro rom in VC?

Oh really? haha
And I was wondering already why there was a Pikachu...
I must say at this point that I haven't traded via VC yet so I didn't knew that it works this way on VC. :) 

Edited by ajxpk

Reset instead of Save in the Start Menu is always the case when in the link corner. They don't want you just saving the game while you're in there, it would mess up all kinds of things, so it's replaced with a Reset option that basically just soft resets.

Gen. I also doesn't restrict trading when only one Pokémon is in the party like later Gens do. If you trade for a fainted Pokémon, the game will simply black you out after you take ~4 steps outside the trade corner. :P

Ah, so it probably could just be an ordinary Red/Blue rom the event runners were using then.

I didn't get to see what kind of system they were running to keep the show running though, maybe they just had saves prepared that had lots of Mews in the box system and they moved Pokémon between trades, or maybe it was custom in some capacity.

It wouldn't really be worth the time for them to edit the rom and/or code a whole new thing for it when they can just fill the boxes with clones of the same Mew and visit the PC between trades.

Like they did in Gen. III really, even though at the time we know they had actual distribution roms. Come to think of it I have no idea why they did that Mew event that way.

(Also really, all I did was get a rom + save file with an emulator and I checked both of those things. :p)

At least it's cool that they're really just all clones of the same thing, that way everyone can just get a clone of one someone got at the event and still have the real thing. I mean, compared to other events where it would be incredibly unlikely for two people to receive an identical Pokémon. Having a clone in those cases feels cheap to me, when you'd normally get your own unique one.

8 minutes ago, hyogman said:

How can I download and inject this Mew on my Yellow game?

This is assuming you already have homebrew or custom firmware access on your 3DS.

• Use JK's Save Manager (JKSM) to extract your Pokémon Yellow VC Save.
    • If you are using the Homebrew Launcher version and it doesn't work properly, you may need to use the 9.6 MMAP files linked on that same page.
  • This will export a sav.dat file to your SD card under JKSM/Saves/Pokémon_Yellow/(custom folder name)/
  • Open this sav.dat file using PKX-Delta. When you open it, specify the correct game version.
  • Once your game save is open you should see your in-game team, boxes, etc. Select any slot to open the Pokemon Editor window.
  • On this Pokémon Editor window, select File and Open the event Mew file
  • Save the updated sav.dat file to the JKSM/Saves/Pokémon_Yellow/ directory, preferably in a new folder so you don't overwrite your backed up save.
  • Run JK's Save Manager again, and this time import your modified sav.dat save

If all went well, run Pokémon Yellow and you should see the Mew successfully injected.

• Like 1