[GEN III] Mystery Gift Tool - Nintendo Events, Wondercards, e-Trainer cards and e-Berry editor (and more!)

suloku

The tool can't detect that my European English Pokémon Emerald save is English, I know for sure it's legit as it's from a cartridge I dumped and checked the MD5 with the no intro database. It is not really a big problem of course but I thought I would report it.

https://i.imgur.com/tUimTUC.png

https://i.imgur.com/PPTt2Bi.png

A bigger problem is that my European English Pokémon Ruby R2 save (also from my own cartridge and checked with the no intro database) is detected as a Emerald save.

https://i.imgur.com/zMgVTfc.png

https://i.imgur.com/3hjfWCg.png

The same problem occurs with my US English Pokémon Sapphire R2 save (also from my own cartridge and checked with the no intro database).

https://i.imgur.com/8nZZxnI.png

https://i.imgur.com/lzg5hzk.png

You might be right about FRLG not having mystery event, my memories might have cofused me, as I never looked into the jap games that much. I recall testing if the script would work without a wondercard in FRLG and I think it worked, so they could have done it just likr they did in emerald, but these games came out before emerald, so who knows.

Shin-Chan, if you pm me your saves I'll take a look, as I said the auto-detection is not bound to always work as there is no 100% way of doing it.

Maybe I should just prompt the user for game and language like pkhex does? Or check the file name looking for key workds like "green", "emerald" and the like?

What I meant in my previous post is that the buttons which are only usable for a specific game like the inject and export berry are only usable if the game was detected correctly by the auto detection but not if you set it manually.

Thanks, updated: https://github.com/suloku/wc-tool/releases/tag/0.1c

I've also included the ect and ecb files you uploaded earlier (with propper credit in a little readme I put with them). Tell me if you want me to remove them or the credit (I guess I should have asked first? I assumed you were Ok with it, hope it is not a problem).

ps: the problems Shin-Chan was having were due to the savegame files being empty.

ps2: @Invader TAK I think I can add the "Switch Cartridge" to the nds app, save-manager does not support this, but I think I can implement it without much issue, if you'd like to beta-test so we know it doesn't mess up the savegames tell me.

Thanks, updated: https://github.com/suloku/wc-tool/releases/tag/0.1c

I've also included the ect and ecb files you uploaded earlier (with propper credit in a little readme I put with them). Tell me if you want me to remove them or the credit (I guess I should have asked first? I assumed you were Ok with it, hope it is not a problem).

Thanks for the fix!

And also thanks for including the ecb and ect files. I'm ok with that, no worries.

I found a major bug with the ECT Editor and two smaller displaying issues.

1. Unhandled Exeption in ECT Editor
    Some Japanese ECT files (like 08-A003 Tuber Sonya) throw unhandled exceptions when loading them. The files are fine, injecting works.
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '1770' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
    Parameter name: SelectedIndex
    at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
    at WC3_TOOL.ECT_editor.update_ectData()
    at WC3_TOOL.ECT_editor.Load_ECT(String path)
    at WC3_TOOL.ECT_editor.Load_ect_butClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    ************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    WC3_TOOL
    Assembly Version: 1.0.6154.38959
    Win32 Version: 1.0.6154.38959
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Mystery%20Gift%20Tool%200.1c.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
  2. ECB files always load with non-JAP encoding
    When loading Japanese ECB files with JAP encoding checked their name will be displayed in non-JAP encoding though. You have to uncheck and recheck the checkbox to see the correct characters. This doesn't happen in the ECT Editor.
  3. TV and Swarm Record Mixing TID is shown in hexadecimal.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into them tomorrow as it's getting late here and I was working on the Day Mirage Spot for ORAS (finally got it working :D)

And I've also updated the NDS version of the injector to support cartridge switching https://github.com/suloku/savegame-manager/releases/tag/0.1b (@Invader TAK)

While updating the NDS version I've been wondering 2 things, since my intention for the nds and GC/Wii versions was to keep them locked to official events that were distributed to each region:

- When (if ever) we get a Mystyc Ticket for FRLG, should I enable it for other regions besides english? The same goes for the Emerald one. We suspect it was possible to get them on other non-jap cartridges, but we have no real evidence besides this being the case for Aurora Ticket distribution.

- Should I include Old Sea Map for non-jap versions with a very big ILLEGAL indicator? As I said, the idea was to only distribute official events, but maybe this would be convenient? I could say the same for the in-game emerald eon ticket, which just requires enabling a flag in the save for it to trigger, but this was never released outside japan.

I don't want to confuse people and make they think they are getting a legal OldSeaMap or Eon ticket for emerald. For any "illegal" events there's always the pc version, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into them tomorrow as it's getting late here and I was working on the Day Mirage Spot for ORAS (finally got it working :D)

And I've also updated the NDS version of the injector to support cartridge switching https://github.com/suloku/savegame-manager/releases/tag/0.1b (@Invader TAK)

While updating the NDS version I've been wondering 2 things, since my intention for the nds and GC/Wii versions was to keep them locked to official events that were distributed to each region:

- When (if ever) we get a Mystyc Ticket for FRLG, should I enable it for other regions besides english? The same goes for the Emerald one. We suspect it was possible to get them on other non-jap cartridges, but we have no real evidence besides this being the case for Aurora Ticket distribution.

- Should I include Old Sea Map for non-jap versions with a very big ILLEGAL indicator? As I said, the idea was to only distribute official events, but maybe this would be convenient? I could say the same for the in-game emerald eon ticket, which just requires enabling a flag in the save for it to trigger, but this was never released outside japan.

I don't want to confuse people and make they think they are getting a legal OldSeaMap or Eon ticket for emerald. For any "illegal" events there's always the pc version, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Initial DS Tool testing shows that the cart swapping does work. However, the Aurora Ticket refuses to inject. For English Emerald, it just injects the Mystic Ticket while the ticket never gets injected into English FRLG.

Regarding the questing regarding including the Old Sea Map and Eon Ticket for-Japanese copies of Emerald, I personally wouldn't have a problem with adding them to the DS and GC/Wii tools. With the Old Sea Map, it should entirely up to the player if they want that illegal event or not. However, I think Eon Tickets injected this way should NOT be sharable. Keep the sharable tickets to R/S and Japanese Emerald.

Initial DS Tool testing shows that the cart swapping does work. However, the Aurora Ticket refuses to inject. For English Emerald, it just injects the Mystic Ticket while the ticket never gets injected into English FRLG.

Did that happen with the previous version?

EDIT: nvm, I found the problem (I foolishly forgot a couple break statements). Jap FRLG is afected in the same way. Bad news is I can't recompile and upload until tonight, but will do as soon as I get home.

EDIT2: @Invader TAK uploaded new version for NDS: https://github.com/suloku/savegame-manager/releases/tag/0.1c

I'll update the GC/Wii for the USA Emerald Mystic ticket on other regions at another time.

Edited by suloku

Did that happen with the previous version?

EDIT: nvm, I found the problem (I foolishly forgot a couple break statements). Jap FRLG is afected in the same way. Bad news is I can't recompile and upload until tonight, but will do as soon as I get home.

EDIT2: @Invader TAK uploaded new version for NDS: https://github.com/suloku/savegame-manager/releases/tag/0.1c

I'll update the GC/Wii for the USA Emerald Mystic ticket on other regions at another time.

SUCCESS! Aurora Ticket injected into English Emerald and English LeafGreen! Cart swapping was also a success.

It's for real GBAs and carts.

Cool. I'll try out the GC version on the cube and the wii and see how they hold up too then.

EDIT:

DS version gave me an error saying that it 'could not find ini file', but I didn't see an ini in any of the packages.

Wii, GC, and PC versions went all the way through the process for FR and E but failed to put anything on, I didn't see anything in the mart or PC.

I'm clearly missing something but I'm not quite sure what.

Edited by hking0036

Cool. I'll try out the GC version on the cube and the wii and see how they hold up too then.

EDIT:

DS version gave me an error saying that it 'could not find ini file', but I didn't see an ini in any of the packages.

Wii, GC, and PC versions went all the way through the process for FR and E but failed to put anything on, I didn't see anything in the mart or PC.

You need the ini file from the savegame tool the DS event tool is based off of.

Okay cool, thanks for letting me know. Any idea what the story is with the pc/gc/wii versions?

Got the DS one working, but same results as above. I must just be missing something.

Okay cool, thanks for letting me know. Any idea what the story is with the pc/gc/wii versions?

Got the DS one working, but same results as above. I must just be missing something.

If you're trying to inject the Aurora Ticket, suloku messed up with the code and will update later today.

suloku said:

I'm not too worried about "Illegal" events. I've been wanting to experiment. For example, taking this shareable Emerald Eon Ticket and the Old Sea Map and injecting them to a Japanese save and then backing up and writing that on a Non J game and see what happens. I like to push the boundaries and whatever rules are implemented into the tool, I'll just work around. Not to say I don't value legitimacy. But these are just trophies for my personal collection anyway. I've really been wondering what people would consider the legitimacy of that to be.

The wonder news I'd like to scan into my games. I have a good majority of the E-reader cards, the actual physical cards. A Colosseum set, Fire Red/Leaf Green, the Decoration Present, etc. so I'm not worried about that feature either.

I mention this because the tool has E-reader support. I want to scan the Japanese E-reader cards into my English game and get the English versions of the final 3 shadow Pokemon and try the Fire Red/Leaf Green trainer hill cards on a J save and then restore it to other regions, etc. What would the legitimacy of these be considered? Mainly the shadow Pokemon. With stuff like the Regi dolls, I can 100% legitimately just trade them using record mixing so that isn't an issue.

Edit: I really wanted to thank you all and everybody who participated in the other thread. Never did that teenager, back in 2008 who spent countless hours looking up AR codes or means of getting these tickets into his games think he'd be sitting here now actually able to do so. (Or do 1/10th of the other things I can do now either.) Seriously, thank you all so much.

Edited by HaxAras

So what's the difference between Emerald Eon Ticket distributed in Japan, and the one you can get via Record Mixing rith R/S?

Do they both change different areas of the save file or something?

EDIT:

If you're trying to inject the Aurora Ticket, suloku messed up with the code and will update later today.

Ok, what's exactly not working with the 0.1c?

Pleasetell me

Game (RS, E, FRLG):

Region:

Ticket:

Wooops, I had the file in my sd card, I though I removed the code checking for the ini, the modification doesn't need the file at all, next update will remove the need for that file.

So what's the difference between Emerald Eon Ticket distributed in Japan, and the one you can get via Record Mixing rith R/S?

Do they both change different areas of the save file or something?

When you record mix:

Eon ticket item is added.

Flags for the event are set.

The one distributed in japan:

Sets a flag that enables an in-game event. This in game event (at the 2nd floor at the pokemon center) in turn enables the flags for the eon ticket event and provides the eon ticket item.

Sets the eon ticket as the "sareable" item via record mixing.

So, with the official event, you can record mix emerald with other games to get the ticket on those games. Also, the save has the in-game eont ticket event flag set, which is something really technical but for me it triggers the savegame "illegal" if made on a non-japanese region.

I'm not too worried about "Illegal" events. I've been wanting to experiment. For example, taking this shareable Emerald Eon Ticket and the Old Sea Map and injecting them to a Japanese save and then backing up and writing that on a Non J game and see what happens. I like to push the boundaries and whatever rules are implemented into the tool, I'll just work around. Not to say I don't value legitimacy. But these are just trophies for my personal collection anyway. I've really been wondering what people would consider the legitimacy of that to be.

Jap wondercards aren't compatible with non-jap games, they have a different format due to character encoding.

The wonder news I'd like to scan into my games. I have a good majority of the E-reader cards, the actual physical cards. A Colosseum set, Fire Red/Leaf Green, the Decoration Present, etc. so I'm not worried about that feature either.

I mention this because the tool has E-reader support. I want to scan the Japanese E-reader cards into my English game and get the English versions of the final 3 shadow Pokemon and try the Fire Red/Leaf Green trainer hill cards on a J save and then restore it to other regions, etc. What would the legitimacy of these be considered? Mainly the shadow Pokemon. With stuff like the Regi dolls, I can 100% legitimately just trade them using record mixing so that isn't an issue.

The e-reader was deliverately blocked, so in my opinion they are not legal in any way, but I agree it's fun to mess with these things.

There has been research, done with those 3 missing pokemon, it can be done with emulators on any region right now, I can't find the thread though. There were even some savegames to get those last shadow pokemon.

I realized it didn't work like Gen IV and you had to go to the second floor so I was right and I'm just stupid, please forgive me.

(assuming the homebrew versions pull from the PC Wondercards)

NDS:

Emerald

Aurora (EN_UK): FAIL (Injects Mystic)

Mystic (USA): PASS

Fire Red

Aurora Ticket (US): FAIL

PC:

Emerald

Aurora (EN_UK): PASS

Fire Red

Aurora (USA): PASS

GCN:

Emerald

Fire Red

Aurora (USA): FAIL

Wii:

Emerald

Fire Red

Aurora (USA): FAIL

Unfortunately my LG, R and S carts aren't far enough to get mystery gifts but if you pass along a save I'll be glad to test.

I didn't expect the wii version to also fail.

I only have spanish carts, so testing on my side is a little tricky (need to mess with the region detection so mine are recognized as other regions). I'm sorry for the trouble, I thought this was working fine. I'd like to have the time to fix this as soon as possible, but my free time is pretty scarce until february, I can't look into this until tomorrow, but I'll try to get them fixed as soon as possible.

Also, there should be no need to test LG or both R and S, since the same code applies to both versions of the same game, as the save is basically the same (unless the cartridge isn't correctly recognized, but give I'm reading the rom header this should not happen).

ps: I'll link you to my RS saves.

I only have spanish carts, so testing on my side is a little tricky (need to mess with the region detection so mine are recognized as other regions). I'm sorry for the trouble, I thought this was working fine. I'd like to have the time to fix this as soon as possible, but my free time is pretty scarce until february, I can't look into this until tomorrow, but I'll try to get them fixed as soon as possible.

Also, there should be no need to test LG or both R and S, since the same code applies to both versions of the same game, as the save is basically the same (unless the cartridge isn't correctly recognized, but give I'm reading the rom header this should not happen).

One issue I had with the PC tool is I couldn't inject Wonder News. It was the same deal with trying to inject the Aurora Ticket on FRLG using the DS tool before you fixed it. I only tried on English FRLG, though.

it's A-okay. Where do you go in sapphire to get the tickets? I don't see anyone upstairs like in E/FR so I don't know if it's an error or if I just don't know where to go.