[Question] Pokemon X Powersaves Back Up Retrieval Attempt

Garblon

In 2014, I was an avid Powersaves user, I had used it every time an Pokemon event was released and even sometimes used it to make certain pokemon shiny. However, on November the 28th, my save file started to corrupt nearly every time I removed the cartridge from my 3ds. Unfortunately, during that time, I was really dense when It came to how 3ds cartridges worked, and I inserted and removed the cartridge so many times that it stopped working. After it stopped working, I put the cartridge in a safe place (and extracted the Powersave Backup bins) until I reached a level of intelligence where I could fix the cartridge myself.

Since I'm making his thread, I haven't reached the level of intelligence that my younger self had thought I could reach...

(TL;DR)I'm currently trying to decrypt a Pokemon X powersaves bin (and the original cartridge no longer works), would I need to use the original cartridge to create a save1keystream.bin? I have the bins that Powersaves had automatically created as well.

Edited by Garblon
slight revisions

Unfortunately, I haven't found any guides that allow you to decrypt the save without using powersaves again to make a save1keystream.bin (I'm pretty sure if I use a different cartridge to make the keystream, it won't work due to the fact that powersaves creates new bin names for different cartridges, even if they're the same game).

I could try to restore the gold/copper part of my cartridge so that I could use the original cartridge again, but I don't know what material is used for 3ds game carts.

(Basically, all of the guides I found requre you to use powersaves with the cart you started with, which isn't possible for me to do, unless I restore the part of my Pokemon X cartridge that gets read by the 3ds/powersaves)

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am in a similar siuation with a  Pokemon Y that is practically useless (bricked probably) and the Powersaves backups . I was about to start a new thread asking the same thing (how to decrypt without the keystream file), but since there is this thread, I decided to post here. So, has anyone found out any way to do it ?

Unless you are ready to try and spend the next few hundred years bruteforcing it, there is no way to decrypt the save file without access to the cartridge as it is encrypted using cartridge-specific encryption.