Gen II Virtual Console inject save file error

CaptainLibrary

Hi, I hope someone can help me? I'm playing Pokémon Silver on 3DS with the recently released patches to enable wireless trading. I extracted the sav.dat with JKSM but it won't be read by the 09-18-16 release of PKHeX:

Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size.

File Size:

32784 bytes (0x8010)

I tried renaming the .dat as a .sav so I'm imagining that the file size is the issue, and that it's something to do with the patches used to port the games to VC, or just the VC emulator itself creating saves in a format that PKHeX can't use for Gen II?

EDIT: Worth noting I think, Pikasav will load the file once renaming the file extension. But I'd rather use the fantastic PKHeX if possible! :D

I think it was missing the timestamp that emulators add to the end of the save.

After adding the timestamp manually, it loads on Pkhex.

How I tested it:

I loaded your save in an emulator, saved once, test and confirmed it worked on Pkhex.

Reverted to an untouched version of your save, pasted in the last 2 row of bytes, and also confirms that the save also loaded in Pkhex.

Hence proves that was likely to be the issue.

Size issue perhaps. Adding 2 lines of 0s at the end solves the problem too.

perhaps it'll be good to allow GSC be loaded with or without the last 2 lines of bytes,

since it was the VC that saved this as a smaller size.

I think it was missing the timestamp that emulators add to the end of the save.

After adding the timestamp manually, it loads on Pkhex.

How I tested it:

I loaded your save in an emulator, saved once, test and confirmed it worked on Pkhex.

Reverted to an untouched version of your save, pasted in the last 2 row of bytes, and also confirms that the save also loaded in Pkhex.

Hence proves that was likely to be the issue.

Size issue perhaps. Adding 2 lines of 0s at the end solves the problem too.

perhaps it'll be good to allow GSC be loaded with or without the last 2 lines of bytes,

since it was the VC that saved this as a smaller size.

That's awesome, thanks for the help. I can just add those two lines but I agree that it would be cool if a future PKHeX release didn't look for those bytes.

EDIT: Added two rows of 0s and works fine, then can be reinjected into the VC game as long as I remove the two rows again after editing, thanks again :)

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2016 at 0:28 PM, CaptainLibrary said:

That's awesome, thanks for the help. I can just add those two lines but I agree that it would be cool if a future PKHeX release didn't look for those bytes.

EDIT: Added two rows of 0s and works fine, then can be reinjected into the VC game as long as I remove the two rows again after editing, thanks again :)

Pretty much a newbie here. How do I go about adding and then taking out the two rows of zeros.

You'll need a hex editor, I recommend HxD.

Open your sav.dat with it, scroll down to the end of the file, add as many 00 bytes as you need. When comes time to reimport it to your VC just do the same thing, but remove the 00s you added previously.

12 hours ago, Ammako said:

You'll need a hex editor, I recommend HxD.

Open your sav.dat with it, scroll down to the end of the file, add as many 00 bytes as you need. When comes time to reimport it to your VC just do the same thing, but remove the 00s you added previously.

Awesome. I thought this might be what I needed to do. Thanks for clarifying.