How to Use PkHeX for Gen 1-5 Games?

rickjones12

• 1 month later...
Would I need homebrew for Gen 1 games, something like save_manager to extract the save file? And what about gen 3 games like RSE, are they for ROMs only or I have to buy something for the GBA system? Last but not least, what about gen 4-5?

Allow me to break it down for you

For

GB/GBC Carts: Some type of dongle, such as from here or how this website describes it.

For GBA Carts: Hardware wise, if you had a GameShark Advance or Action Replay Advance it would allow save dumping (provided the software works with your computer)

Alternatively, if you have still have an operational NDS with GBA slot (NOT 3DS or DSi), and a DS flash cart, there is homebrew that allows dumping of Gen III and Gen IV saves.

For DS Carts: Homebrew as mentioned above, or alternatively the Save dongle (save dongle won't work with Gen VI games and onward)

For 3DS Carts: If using Japanese cart, this works and dumps save file.

If obtained the correct region one, this also backs up save (but doesn't reinject modified saves;not possible to do so)

For Gen VI, non-japanese carts would require Homebrew/CFW access to dump and backup saves.