Editing Pokemon Diamond Help Needed

I am pretty new to all this and I've been googling and checking this forum along with many other sites and was wondering a few things.

1. Are there any more updated/intuitive ROM hacking tools available out there? I know these games are a bit old now, but it just seems like everything got to about 2009 and stopped. The tools available are... well not very intuitive.

2. If there are not, does anyone know where in the vast narc library I can find simple things to get me started in this large pet project like, where are the graphics for the intro/title sequence/professor introduction/larger and more detailed sprites you see when you first start (the professor, the boy and girl trainers, etc.)?

3. Sprite editors, anything even slightly better than PokeDS/Pic? Having to use photoshop, change the color table manually, and save everything one by one is doable and all, but so tedious, NSE for the GBA games is slightly better, though still mighty tedious. Just curious.

I'm sure a lot of this stuff has already been posted, and I apologize for that, I just figured I would attempt to get a more updated post, considering the age of most of the stuff I find. I would like to attempt to make a fully fleshed out ROM hack, and it's started to look like not only a mighty undertaking, but an impossible one. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.