[Yellow] Ash's Pikachu

j2k15

Hi,

I observed that Ash's Pikachu has a catch rate of 163 (as opposed to 190 as any other Pikachu).

One of the noticeable difference is that when traded to GSC it holds a light ball.

But since GSC was not out when Yellow was, I don't think it's the reason why it has a different catch rate.

My assumption is that this different and unique catch rate is used to identify the starter Pikachu (combinaison OT/Name - OT/ID - Catch Rate).

I read that if you trade Pikachu to R/B and then directly trade it back to Yellow, it won't follow you anymore. Even if OT/Name and ID match. Maybe because catch rate is altered during transfer ?

I don't know if it's true but I read that if you trade it to GSC and trade it back, if you have kept the light ball on it, it'll still follow you and if you remove it, it will not follow you anymore. So it seems only RB are resetting catch rate during transfers.

In game it's not possible, but I'd curious to see how game behave in case you have 2 Pikachu with catch rate 163 and same OT/Name and ID.

If someone has more info, I'd be interested.

I was confused about "Ash's Pikachu", because that'd be an Event Pokémon, not something you can get in a game itself.

In Red/Blue/Yellow you're playing as a character called "Red". Ash is a character exclusive to the anime as of now.

I'm sceptical that trading to red or blue changes catch rate - could you demonstrate this?

Wild dragonair and wild kadabra have a special catch rate in yellow to anticipate gold and silver held items also, as do the stadium Pokemon. The 'GSC not out' claim is incorrect.

I don't know if removing the light ball would cause Pikachu to no longer follow the trainer - I would assume not actually - checking species and trainer ID is sufficient for that and certainly non-Pikachu don't follow you hence its not catch rate and trainer ID alone.

I'll do the test for red / blue - yellow.

I did not know that in Yellow they anticipated GSC games. Thanks for the info.

I saw something similar about Mew's fix IV to prevent its Shinyness when transferred to GSC but I was sceptical.

I was confused about "Ash's Pikachu", because that'd be an Event Pokémon, not something you can get in a game itself.

In Red/Blue/Yellow you're playing as a character called "Red". Ash is a character exclusive to the anime as of now.

Actually, I believe it is accurate to assess that the trainer in Yellow is Ash because Yellow was designed to resemble Ash's journey in the anime, hence the slight alterations from RB and if memory serves Yellow preceeded RB.

I must confess I don't know what catch rate means nor do I know the circumstances under which the Yellow Pikachu will no longer follow the trainer apart from the obvious one which is if it's evolved after being traded.

I've got a minute fragment of a memory of once exchanging Yellow Pikachu with my best friend to see if each other's would follow our trainers but to no avail though after that, if it's a legitimate memory and using Zapper (my Yellow Pikachu's crappy name) in both Stadiums, she followed me up until I restarted the game, that much I know. I hadn't included her in my mass trade to Silver on the grounds of keeping her as a walking compainion.

• 4 years later...

The starter Pikachu is identified by : species (of course) and the OT/name and OT/id.

I'm pretty sure catch rate is not relevant to identify the starting Pikachu. This shall be confirmed by testing.

If you have several Pikachu qualiying as starter Pikachu in your party, only one will follow Yellow given the first one in the party is not fainted.

Also, in Yellow, happiness is not stored per Pokemon. Only the starter Pikachu's happiness is stored. Any action done on any of the qualified starter Pikachu will affect the overall Pikachu happiness value (ex : using an item, fainting, ...).

Edit: sorry for post necronoly, I just did notice it was a post from 2016...

Edited by BlueGold