Regarding Shiny Hunting in Colosseum

Umbra

Hello everyone, I know it's probably going to take a while to get a response to this most likely but I wanted to ask a question. Is getting a shiny Nascour's Metagross or Evice's Tyranitar possible? I'm fairly certain all of the shadow pokemon can be found shiny under rare circumstances (excluding the Japanese E-reader events since they have fixed values I think), but I have to make sure first before I play through English Colosseum again and start spending a whole load of time trying to get either of these lol

Hello everyone, I know it's probably going to take a while to get a response to this most likely but I wanted to ask a question. Is getting a shiny Nascour's Metagross or Evice's Tyranitar possible? I'm fairly certain all of the shadow pokemon can be found shiny under rare circumstances (excluding the Japanese E-reader events since they have fixed values I think), but I have to make sure first before I play through English Colosseum again and start spending a whole load of time trying to get either of these lol

I'm pretty sure they can be shiny. Of course it's really difficult with it being 1/8193 chance and the shiny glitch in colosseum complicates things further

Yeah I figured as much, thanks for the reassurance. But forgive me, what exactly is this glitch and how would it affect my attempts at shinies if you don't mind me asking? Is it the one where enemy trainers can have it appear as shiny but it is not shiny when you catch it?

Also, if I remember correctly, if you lose against Nascour the first time, you spawn at the Realgam Tower but instead of facing the trainers before, you go straight to Nascour again. Would the PID of the Metagross have stayed fixed or does it change again when you encounter it the second time? It would take less time if it changes again the second time because that means I could save right before Nascour, battle him and catch Metagross, repeat

When you first encounter the shadow pokemon it's shininess is determined using the opponent's trainer ID. After purification the shininess is recalculated using the player's trainer ID. This means that even if it's shiny when you catch it, there's only 1/8192 chance of it still being shiny after purification. If it wasn't shiny when you caught it, also has the 1/8192 chance of being shiny after purification. So if you want it shiny after purification you won't know until you purify it. If you're aiming to reset the game until they're shiny, you'd have to get all the way to purification before resetting. If you only care about them being shiny while they're shadow pokemon then it doesn't matter.

Maybe you could use a save editor to change your TID just before you purify it and choose a TID that will keep the shininess. I doubt anyone would judge you for that after all the effort of resetting for it.

The PID of the pokemon is set the first time it is used in battle so you would have to reset without saving. I think if you manage to lose to him before he sends out the metagross then it might possibly work. I don't know if it's set when the battle starts or when it is sent out but more likely when the battle starts so I doubt it would work but you can test what happens if you lose before the shadow pokemon comes out on another trainer to see.

Oh boy, seems like it's even more work than I first anticipated lol. No wonder why Colosseum shinies are so notoriously hard to find. I could have sworn shadow pokemon retain shininess when purified if they already were shiny, but I trust what you are saying is true. It's going to be a lot of work regardless, but I will probably end up trying to get them anyway. Thanks for the replies again!

Oh boy, seems like it's even more work than I first anticipated lol. No wonder why Colosseum shinies are so notoriously hard to find. I could have sworn shadow pokemon retain shininess when purified if they already were shiny, but I trust what you are saying is true. It's going to be a lot of work regardless, but I will probably end up trying to get them anyway. Thanks for the replies again!

Yeah it's a lot of hard work but it would be pretty impressive if you pulled it off. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

i know its been a while since anyone posted here but i needed to make a clarification on something. the shiny chances are re-rolled after capture not purification, meaning it can be shiny for you and not them. its will retain its shiny color even after purification. i can confirm since i have gotten a shiny shadow pokemon myself

24 minutes ago, paulydoregon said:

i know its been a while since anyone posted here but i needed to make a clarification on something. the shiny chances are re-rolled after capture not purification, meaning it can be shiny for you and not them. its will retain its shiny color even after purification. i can confirm since i have gotten a shiny shadow pokemon myself

the game generates a PID for the pokemon.

during battle, it will display as shiny if the NPC trainer ID makes the PID shiny.

after battle (capture), it will be shiny only if YOUR trainer ID makes the PID shiny.

There's no re-rolling involved before/after purification/capture.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

the game generates a PID for the pokemon.

during battle, it will display as shiny if the NPC trainer ID makes the PID shiny.

after battle (capture), it will be shiny only if YOUR trainer ID makes the PID shiny.

There's no re-rolling involved before/after purification/capture.

thanks for providing the info to back-up my statement kaphotics

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Alex1oo3 said:

So once you encounter said shadow Pokemon it's pre determined? So the second time I fight said shadow it will never be shiny or always shiny?

Yup, it’s detailed that are generated in the first encounter are stored, to be used for the second encounter.

so if it couldn’t be shiny in the first, it wouldn’t change in the second.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

Yup, it’s detailed that are generated in the first encounter are stored, to be used for the second encounter.

so if it couldn’t be shiny in the first, it wouldn’t change in the second.

Ok that helps a million! One last probably dumb question is what if it changes owner like how mirror b takes them after you beat them still no change or?...