Oh look, another confused noob.

Natasha

Yep utterly confused noob here..(ignore my account age.. I utterly forgot I'd made it lol look me 5 registration attempts to notice it saying "your email is already registered")

I've googled and browsed through the forum a bit but honestly I'm confused by lot of the conflicting results i've found so thought it simpler and quicker to just do this.

I have a old Purple NA 3DS with latest pushed firmware 11.0.0-33U

I have Pokemon Y was a downloaded installed game on the system not a cartridge.

My goal was to make a egg and place it in my box containing a shiny Chandelure that a gf of mine wanted with legal base stats. no buffing or crazy shit just simply making it shiny and have it as an egg

Eggs can still be traded right or was that never a thing and I'm on some bad memory trip?

The idea of the egg was so when it hatched it would be her pokemon rather than mine IE her trainer ids no trade xp training buff so she could mold it how she wanted

I thought an egg would also help prevent her (and me) getting flagged and banned from like anything net wise with pokemon.. as some of the pages I read said nintendo was doing that.

What are the steps I can take to do this?

my PC has a SD card reader and the game/saves are saved to said card.

Lot'a pages said that doing it on the pc should work as it removes the 3ds system from the editing process.. others say that you need to have access to hombrue an whole host of other things to do it.

Appreciate your time in reading this.

~Nat

Heya, good on your for stopping by again.

Anyway, to answer your questions, yes, trading eggs is still possible. However, in your post it seems you are wanting specifically Chandelure and not Litwick, this makes things a little bit trickier as eggs do not legitimately hatch into Chandelure.

There is hope though, in your post you do not specify if you do have access to Homebrew, so I will assume you don't based on your last statement.

I believe your first order of business should be to get an entrypoint so you may run the Homebrew channel and extract your savegame to begin the editing. Not to worry though, 3DS homebrew is (at least in my opinion) the easiest to get a hold of, though i've been out of the loop for a while since I downgraded my O3DS a long time ago.

Do yourself some research and try to find an access point that works for you, and i'm sure someone can assist from there.

Alternatively, you could always request someone who already has the ability to hex edit to give your gf the egg under the conditions you can specify her in-game information. Do keep in mind though that online trades go through a very basic legality check meaning something as blatant as a Chandelure egg will not get through, so if you decide to settle for this method you will have to do with Litwick instead.

Get back to me as soon as you can specify what you're really able to do or not. There are some elitist people here but the only thing you'll get flamed for is not being able to tell everyone what you want.

Thank you for the reply KonohaDaze,

Yes to clarify I do NOT, currently have access to homebrew of any form on my Old 3DS device. This is part of my confusion as some web pages say it's possible to get it on my current firmware and others say it isn't. and nun are alll that clear on the steps or things I'd need to do it.. some talk about downgrading, others talk about having a spific game and someone else who already has homebrew channel..

One I found talked about making a actual hardware mod thing that let me dump my er.. Nand? as a backup file and also be able to replace it with a down grade to an older one.. of which then gets me a bit more confused as to how to keep that safe or usable with Poke Y as it being a Downloaded digital copy tends to at times check version an request I firmware update if there was one available that I'd missed the notification on.

Second.. I'll admit I've not played pokemon in quite a while and as such was honestly not sure if Chandelure had a previous form. So a Egg with a shiny Litwick for her to train an play with an evolve on her own would be a corrected course of action.

As said I'd like to purely just make it shiny, no haxoring or buffing or any such that might be construed as illegal to either my or her game and system. She does a lot of online play and I'd hate to be the cause of her system getting locked out if that is a thing.

my further concern would be getting my own system locked out of the shop or other features which is why I'd hoped there was away to grab the save off the SD card and remove any software or os changes to the 3ds..

^^;; honestly lol, I just wanted to surprise her with something nice that she actually f'n mentioned she wanted xD

~Nat

As far as I'm aware, there are no free entry points on 11.0.0-30

The only ones available require you to buy certain games and/or special equipment.

If you traded me one of her own in-game caught Pokémon, so I can have her OT and ID/SID, I could make an egg that will hatch as shiny on her game and trade it to you, so that you can give it to her.

I can dig into it to make a list of possible entry points for you in a bit but be aware you will (likely) have to buy certain games or other things. It would allow you to do all the save dumping and editing yourself though rather than having to wait and hope that someone can help, which may be worth it. That and imo it's always worth it being able to make backups of your save files.

And yeah, without homebrew access there isn't really anything you can do as far as save editing goes.

This a better info source: https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits

Any game listed as secondary exploit needs someone with a homebrew enabled 3ds to install the exploit, then you can use it in any 3ds.

For 11.0 you should try to download SmileBASIC if you are USA region, don't know if it is freeware though, but it's gonna be a primary entrypoint (standalone) for 11.0.

If you know someone with a 3ds in firmware 10.5 or lower you could use browserhax to get your save with his console or install a primary entrypoint (maybe you have super mistery dungeon or oras)

Thank you all for the replies :3

From the lists mentioned only SmileBASIC would let me do it on my own.. I do not have access to any 3ds that was previously exploited to do any of the secondary methods.

I got bit excited when I saw the smashbro one but then quickly realized it was for the new 3DS line not the old one.

As mentioned it would be much easier to ask if someone would be willing to trade me something for the egg in question.. don't really anything that would be of equivalent value for a shiny though.. besides maybe my second event Celebi that was given lvl 100. the first one was lvl 10 and in my active party lol.

my friend code .. if I found the right string lol. is 3196 - 4946 - 9700

Umi is the Mii I've registered as well me.

SmileBasic for Canada is around 15 bucks or so.. plus tax for whatever stupid reason.. steam and PSN never charge me tax but Nintendose *grumble*

That and I can't find any further information "how" to get that working or set up from the homebrew wiki page as there is no further link.

~Nat

Edit: also if the "Trade xp boost" or how pokemon traded tend to grow faster. would be a thing regardless of who's ids the egg has.. then it having mine would be no problem.

Meant to post this earlier but I had this sitting in the text box for a while and got distracted by other things, lol.

If you're gonna be trading the egg over to her to have her hatch it, then it will have her OT/ID numbers and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Only other way would be to make it hatch on your game, so that when it's traded to her, it would get the exp bonus.

Think you originally wanted to trade her the egg, then it would have been a super nice surprise for her to see it hatch as shiny, rather than just directly trade her a shiny. It's up to you though, I can trade with you and get your trainer info to make an egg which would hatch shiny on your game, or you could give me one of her Pokémon so I have her trainer info, and then you can inconspicuously trade her the egg directly and have her get the surprise of it hatching shiny :P unless you tell her in advance, lol.

Once we've traded I should be able to get something ready not long afterwards. I can't really just make something directly because shinyness depends on the ID and SID of the person who hatches the egg (iirc? at least it worked that way up until now and im -pretty- sure it still works that way.)

I'd have to give it a PID that makes it hatch shiny when hatched by a trainer who has the right ID and SID. Probably I'll just breed a regular Litwick egg on my own and then change the PID.

Also oh yeah, might be useful to have my FC too... you're looking for 2165-8999-9595

I'll try to monitor this thread, but you can quote me when you're able to trade and it'll notify me via email on my phone, so I won't miss it (unless I'm really unavailable at the time.)

Meant to post this earlier but I had this sitting in the text box for a while and got distracted by other things, lol.

Lol No worries I do that a lot in other programs an get all "ahhh shit.. i didn't hit enter again." meanwhile 2+ hours have past an my friend thinks I had some diabetic event and am twitching on my floor or some shit.

If you're gonna be trading the egg over to her to have her hatch it, then it will have her OT/ID numbers and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Only other way would be to make it hatch on your game, so that when it's traded to her, it would get the exp bonus.

Think you originally wanted to trade her the egg, then it would have been a super nice surprise for her to see it hatch as shiny, rather than just directly trade her a shiny. It's up to you though, I can trade with you and get your trainer info to make an egg which would hatch shiny on your game, or you could give me one of her Pokémon so I have her trainer info, and then you can inconspicuously trade her the egg directly and have her get the surprise of it hatching shiny :P unless you tell her in advance, lol.

Forgive my ignorance on such matters, I wasn't sure how it worked or such.. I've honestly never done much trading with any of the newer games, think "proper" trade I did was on hard BGC Crystal with the old cable and everything >///<

Once we've traded I should be able to get something ready not long afterwards. I can't really just make something directly because shinyness depends on the ID and SID of the person who hatches the egg (iirc? at least it worked that way up until now and im -pretty- sure it still works that way.)

I'd have to give it a PID that makes it hatch shiny when hatched by a trainer who has the right ID and SID. Probably I'll just breed a regular Litwick egg on my own and then change the PID.

Whichever way is easiest an will cause less issues honestly. Didn't know shiny chance or such was tied to any IDs.. just thought they were low RNG..

Either way It would be awesome to give her an egg and avoid the trade xp buff as you said so she can take her time with it an shape it how she likes. She plays wayyyy more than I do.. I mostly play around with Pokemon Shuffle before bed these days but would like to actually get somewhere in pokemon Y.. save got corrupted after a sys update so had to reset it while back which kind'a killed my drive so I only have my starter two or three caught poke and bunch of event ones.

Also oh yeah, might be useful to have my FC too... you're looking for 2165-8999-9595

I'll try to monitor this thread, but you can quote me when you're able to trade and it'll notify me via email on my phone, so I won't miss it (unless I'm really unavailable at the time.)

Added on my end :3

its only 7:30 here an I'm usually up till 1 or 2 ish.

~Nat

Alright, well I'll get online in-game then.

I would ask for you to trade me one of your Pokémon caught in your game so I can have your trainer info, and also trade me a Pokémon from her exact game that you plan on trading the egg to. If you don't have one, then :S I don't know when you'll be able to trade with her to get one but I can't do much without it.

Just to make 100% sure I'm doing it right, I'll make a test with you at first, and make an egg that should hatch shiny on your game. I've not really tested it myself, so I want to make sure I do it right... wouldn't want to ruin it by having it hatch not-shiny on her game by accident.

Then once we've confirmed it worked right I'll make another one that should hatch shiny when sent to her game. Again it's very important that you give me a Pokémon captured from the exact save file you are trading it to, otherwise well, the Litwick won't hatch shiny and that would be a shame.

Alright, well I'll get online in-game then.

I would ask for you to trade me one of your Pokémon caught in your game so I can have your trainer info, and also trade me a Pokémon from her exact game that you plan on trading the egg to. If you don't have one, then :S I don't know when you'll be able to trade with her to get one but I can't do much without it.

I've not got anything from her atm but I can try and get hold of her to do that first if that helps.

~Nat

Edit: apprently she'd perfer if it had my id so if we do an egg that hatches off my id and I just send her the shiny litwick then that should work fine.

Ah well if it already wasn't gonna be a huge surprise, we can definitely do that.

Edit: This should be good, let me know if I somehow messed something up and it isn't shiny.

Ah well if it already wasn't gonna be a huge surprise, we can definitely do that.

Edit: This should be good, let me know if I somehow messed something up and it isn't shiny.

Sorry for double post. wanted make sure ya saw the reply.

it worked perfectely :D

level 1 female Litwick with Ember and Astonish. Shinyy. its got a blue flame an the red star in the bottom left of its screen.

Thank you soooo much for your help Ammako!

Now on the other topic of actually getting homebrew on my ds.. I'm curious what steps I'd need to do.

I've got enough Nintendo shop $ that I should beable to get the SmileBASIC that you and the others mentioned..

If I did get that, what would be the next steps?

Could I then downgrade further to do something bit more permiant or would it be best to stick with something that only activated when I wanted to use it so not to potentially brick or lock out my 3ds?

How would updates an the like work if I went either root after such?

This was one of the posts I'd found

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4iry4s/

which talks about a arm9loader thing.. but that has to be installed by down grading wayyy back or something. yet seems to suggest that updates are fine. though Ive no idea the diffrences between the NANDs it talks about and only that NAND is a kind of memory spot or something..

that then lead me to this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

that talks about the steps to get it on my 3ds if I chose to do that.. but as staid

How would that effect my ds? what would be the risks in terms of online interaction or potential lock out or bricking an the like.

how would I keep things uptodate so they didn't get all mad and go "oi your firmware isn't __ you can't play me" ?

~Nat

As of right now, -if- you wanted to downgrade, your only option is absolutely to stay on 11.0.0-33 as there is no way to guarantee this method would work in newer FW versions.

But you would have to get your 3DS hardmodded so that a nand dump can be made, which would then be modified to replace the 11.0 firm with a 10.4 firm, which would then allow you to use downgrader tools to downgrade from 11.0 to 9.2

For this you would need homebrew access, which for now you can only get through Freakyforms or SmileBASIC, or the other option would be Super Mystery Dungeon, which would require you to have access to another homebrew-enabled 3DS to install so it's not of much help atm.

(There is also oot3dhax and ninjhax but the 3dbrew page seems to imply that they haven't yet been fixed for 11.0, so I don't think they are options.)

Freakyhax you can install like this, and you can only get it as a physical retail cartridge. You're on your own as far as finding it goes, but I guess you could try Amazon or eBay, or perhaps local video game stores.

For SmileBASIC, the exploit for it hasn't been released yet, so no-one can really tell you how it'd work. It may be a good idea to purchase it and install it before it inevitably gets removed, though.

As of right now, -if- you wanted to downgrade, your only option is absolutely to stay on 11.0.0-33 as there is no way to guarantee this method would work in newer FW versions.

But you would have to get your 3DS hardmodded so that a nand dump can be made, which would then be modified to replace the 11.0 firm with a 10.4 firm, which would then allow you to use downgrader tools to downgrade from 11.0 to 9.2

For this you would need homebrew access, which for now you can only get through Freakyforms or SmileBASIC.

Freakyhax you can install like this, and you can only get it as a physical retail cartridge. You're on your own as far as finding it goes, but I guess you could try Amazon or eBay, or perhaps local video game stores.

My Local EB (GameStop) did not have Freaky Delux in stock an the system said nun within a 20km radius.. so if that root then online would be the option..that said.

For SmileBASIC, the exploit for it hasn't been released yet, so no-one can really tell you how it'd work. It may be a good idea to purchase it and install it before it inevitably gets removed, though.

I did pick up a 20$ nintendo card, so I've enough I'll grab SB later to night.. I've seen a video of proof of concept.. so hopefully it will be up soon. (twitter page with the same handle as the listed author of the SmileHax on the homebrew wiki.

but of course my consern would be it getting patched or such, there is a listed update for the program on the eshop if you search the program.. so it may already have been patched?

honestly.. the idea of being able to back up saves and inport them to avoid any coruption like before is in and of it self a high point of interest.. but I'm so well. noob to it that I still don't quite get all the pro/con/risks.

Arm9Loader is said to atm be fine for "updating" as the hack itself does not get overwritten somehow and is an altenrative boot mode?

but the bottom line would be my digital copy of Poke Y at times does firmware check an if I'm not on current cuz I missed an update notification, it will not let me play till its updated.

~Nat

Edit: also I can't seem to log out of the forum lol. keeps saying bad gate way xD

The only way to be able to not worry about nintendo updates is to downgrade to 9.2 and use a custom firmware, either with or without arml9loaderhax.

If correctly set up, you don't need Arm9LoaderHax to prevent updating your 9.2 system (which is a long process were you can brick your 3DS, the possibility is really low if you use opthelper, which makes sure everything is ok before any real attempt). Of course if a child is to use the console or the boot failures are a nuisanse arm9loaderhax is a better option.

The dangerous process is still the downgrade (again, pretty low brick rate with the correct tools and making sure you have the correct files (and all of them) in the sd card).

I think there are homebrew options to keep playing online while not being in the latest firmware. Given pokémon games haven't had an update for a very long time, your main concern should be e-shop and other game updates if nintendo updates firmware and you want to stay in 11.0 (unless they can't patch SmileBasic, but they have already gone the "update or you can't run the game" way brefore).

Of course with a hardmod you don't have to worry about bricking as long as you have a working nand backup.

If i was gonna go through the trouble of a hard mod.. would rather be doing it on a newer 3ds.. had had an opportunity to grab the LOZ N3DSXL for about half of what it would cost new an I second guessed myself.. was gone the next day lol. I mean I love my purple one but Monster Hunter is a game I would like to play.. and it is imho very much not playable without that camera nib.

Last time i did a CFW was on my old PSP (which died a battery leak). it was very straightforward.. can't recall what I used but sounds very close to the opthelper you mentioned where it did a check stage before attempting.

and yes that is more true to the point Eshop support an such now that I've been reminded would be more so my worry of loss.. while the inability to re-sell the games back to a shop or someone else is bit of a snag, not having a small binder full of carts in my backpack is nice.. course the price of lot'a these is still pretty ouch lol. Kind'a interested in the FireEmblems but.. 60 bucks up here each.

That aside yes.. though I don't think Y hasn't been updated in awhile it still as I mentioned Firmware checks..

maybe waiting might be an idea? I don't mean to sound wishywashy on doing a CFW as I know how nice those have the potential to be at least from a PSP and Wii perspective.. was fun making my own anime or game themes lol.

Guess I'm also balencing how much I use my 3ds atm.. which is usually bit rare these days but I do pick it up at least once to three times a week at night before bed.

Sorry to sound so indecisive.

~Nat

Well, forget about customfirmware without hardmod until a new kernel exploit is released.

Also, cubic ninja and Ocarina of time have been updated to work under latest firmware (but they are secondary exploits).

SmileBASIC is your best bet, as I said I'm pretty sure there's a way to keep playing online without updating trough homebrew, but you'll loose e-shop (or maybe that was also patched? Can't remember).

Also, waiting in a firmware until something comes out is wise, but I think all the recent kernel exploits that allowed downgrading all worked in the latest available firmware, in fact the first downgrade exploit worked better in the latest available firmware (less brick probabilty) or so they said. Nintendo tends to fix exploits after the scene releases them.

The best is to have a secondary exploit in physical, since those can't be patched by nintendo and are usually updated in a few days after a new firmware comes out. As I mentioned Pokémon ORAS or Super Mistery Dungeon might be of your interest, but you'll still need SmileBASIC (or someone) to install it.

The best is to have a secondary exploit in physical, since those can't be patched by nintendo and are usually updated in a few days after a new firmware comes out.

Pretty sure that's false, see we all thought Cubic Ninja and/or OoT would be absolutely foolproof and always work no matter what and we'd only have to wait for payloads. Now there we are.

codebin randomization may have been bypassed but as far as I know, no actual release for 11.0 has been made for ninjhax, you gotta compile it yourself which is absolutely user-unfriendly. As for oot, from what I can see a release has only been made 10 days ago. That's almost a month and a half of waiting.

There's no telling what tricks Nintendo could have up their sleeves to block other cart-based exploits.

That being said, as long as they didn't find a way to block httpwn, you could remain on whichever firmware you are on where your entry point is working and keep access to all online features. But, we can't guarantee that updating to latest firmware will always be safe.

Also, @Natasha , as of right now I'm pretty sure that the only time the game checks for firmware version is when you want to get online. It won't prevent you from actually playing the game (although not having access to wifi features could definitely be a problem yeah.)

But if you do get another 3ds on which you'd install cfw, you should normally be able to update to latest firmware anyway, and in the event that you can't, given that you have kernel access it's a lot easier to bypass Nintendo's restrictions and access online features anyway (for example, when new 3ds could only update up to a maximum of 9.5 on cfw, they could still install some system modules from newer firmwares along with other workarounds to retain all internet access anyway.)

In short cfw more or less guarantees that you can remain 'safe' and always keep homebrew access no matter what.

I'd personally recommend you keep that 11.0 3ds on 11.0, you can always get a hardmod done later to downgrade it. If you're getting a n3ds, make sure it's on 10.5 or lower so you have access to both browserhax and themehax for downgrading. Otherwise if it's on 10.6-10.7 you could still do it but it would require you to get ocarina of time 3d if you don't already have it. But yeah if you get another 3ds and get cfw installed on it you could pretty much kinda ditch your first 3ds and move to using the new one almost exclusively. You can still buy games off the eShop when on cfw so you don't have to worry about that, and if you're quick enough (no telling when a new firmware update may come), you could system transfer from your old 3ds to the new one so you can have all your games and stuff. I'd recommend backing up all your save files with svdt through smilebasic first though, -just in case- something wrong happens with system transfer (i've seen it happen not too long ago to someome in this forum... They made a wrong turn and lost access to their pokemom save file, although fortunately we were able to recover it.)

Also with cfw you could just buy retail cartridges, dump the rom to your computer and convert it to a digital version that you can install, so you wouldn't need to buy games from eshop that you can't resell later, while not being restricted to carrying tons of cartridges around, lol.

(Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place and hard to follow, I don't get much screen space when typing on my phone so it's harder to write coherently)

Well, forget about customfirmware without hardmod until a new kernel exploit is released.

Also, cubic ninja and Ocarina of time have been updated to work under latest firmware (but they are secondary exploits).

SmileBASIC is your best bet, as I said I'm pretty sure there's a way to keep playing online without updating trough homebrew, but you'll loose e-shop (or maybe that was also patched? Can't remember).

Also, waiting in a firmware until something comes out is wise, but I think all the recent kernel exploits that allowed downgrading all worked in the latest available firmware, in fact the first downgrade exploit worked better in the latest available firmware (less brick probability) or so they said. Nintendo tends to fix exploits after the scene releases them.

The best is to have a secondary exploit in physical, since those can't be patched by nintendo and are usually updated in a few days after a new firmware comes out. As I mentioned Pokémon ORAS or Super Mistery Dungeon might be of your interest, but you'll still need SmileBASIC (or someone) to install it.

I bought/downloaded SmileBASIC last night. as mentioned, I don't have access to any other 3DS for the "secondary" exploit options.

OoT on the HomeBrew wiki lists it works solo on my Firmware but ONLY for "New 3DS" not my Old one without the camera nub.

-Snip-

Also, @Natasha , as of right now I'm pretty sure that the only time the game checks for firmware version is when you want to get online. It won't prevent you from actually playing the game (although not having access to wifi features could definitely be a problem yeah.)

But if you do get another 3ds on which you'd install cfw, you should normally be able to update to latest firmware anyway, and in the event that you can't, given that you have kernel access it's a lot easier to bypass Nintendo's restrictions and access online features anyway (for example, when new 3ds could only update up to a maximum of 9.5 on cfw, they could still install some system modules from newer firmwares along with other workarounds to retain all internet access anyway.)

In short cfw more or less guarantees that you can remain 'safe' and always keep homebrew access no matter what.

I'd personally recommend you keep that 11.0 3ds on 11.0, you can always get a hardmod done later to downgrade it. If you're getting a n3ds, make sure it's on 10.5 or lower so you have access to both browserhax and themehax for downgrading. Otherwise if it's on 10.6-10.7 you could still do it but it would require you to get ocarina of time 3d if you don't already have it. But yeah if you get another 3ds and get cfw installed on it you could pretty much kinda ditch your first 3ds and move to using the new one almost exclusively. You can still buy games off the eShop when on cfw so you don't have to worry about that, and if you're quick enough (no telling when a new firmware update may come), you could system transfer from your old 3ds to the new one so you can have all your games and stuff. I'd recommend backing up all your save files with svdt through smilebasic first though, -just in case- something wrong happens with system transfer (i've seen it happen not too long ago to someome in this forum... They made a wrong turn and lost access to their pokemom save file, although fortunately we were able to recover it.)

Also with cfw you could just buy retail cartridges, dump the rom to your computer and convert it to a digital version that you can install, so you wouldn't need to buy games from eshop that you can't resell later, while not being restricted to carrying tons of cartridges around, lol.

(Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place and hard to follow, I don't get much screen space when typing on my phone so it's harder to write coherently)

No worries you're fine, I followed most of it <3.

I don't really have the means to get a newer 3DS atm.. the new Monster Hunter Unlimited is apparently having an exclusive N3DSXL release to go with it, would love that but up here in Canada the new units are pretty much 300 after tax. Only reason I was considering the Hyrul one was cuz it was 160 used and with trading in my current one, would'a brought that down to 100 ish. that I could'a "one" in a pinch but as I don't work and am on Disability. would have made the rest of the month very tight.

I think for now I will keep on curent firmware and delay any other firmware updates it trys to push for least a while. I don't play Online much at all so long as Y or few of my other instaleld games don't get pissy then that shouldn't be a problem.

I am heading to the mall atm.. so I'll see if my EB has any other used New3DXls.. an their costs.

Thank you both for such grate help, I know dealing with a easily confused noob who is already pretty "omfg what is what where do I start what do" .. can be pretty .. ickky. lol. but I really do appreciate it.

~Nat

Edit:

I also still can't log out of the forum..everytime I click its "Bad Gateway:"

Ah yeah, well, you could also look into getting a secondhand one if you wanted to. Should definitely be a lot cheaper than retail. :P

That's if you absolutely want a N3DS, though. Secondhand regular 3DSes would be even cheaper (and 2DS even cheaper.)

Though you mentioned trading in your current one, that could really be an option, and heck if you waited until the exploit is released for SmileBASIC, you can backup all your save files for all your games and restore it once you get a new one after trading in your old one. Then you could call Nintendo and tell them you need your NNID transferred over to your new 3DS, and you'd have to give them the serial code for the old one I believe, and then you'd be able to log onto it on your new 3DS and not lose any of your games.

You wouldn't really have the opportunity to do a transfer in the store when trading in, because doing so would require you to update the new 3DS to latest firmware, and yeah you probably don't want that if your goal is to downgrade it for cfw, hehe.

-Snip-

Sorry don't know how todo mentions lol.

They didn't have any New 3Ds in stock anymore, the Hyrul one I'd seen is long gone.

They would have been pretty good about the whole transfer thing,

If I'd set it up needing a PC for the last step then doing it in shop would take very little if it's just transferring my NNID and the licences to what titles I had.

That said lol can't do it if they don't got any.

I've held a 2DS.. it.. horrible imho..

I'm not opposed to a hardmod but if I was going to that length then ya.. would rather do it on a newer unit for that much work.

Am kick'n myself hard I didn't go for that Hyrule edition.. and the Monster Hunter um.. Generations? think it's properly called, not Unlimited.. is way too costly and coming out way too soon for me to be able to swing that.. maybe Craigslist or ebay?

I mean.. I'd be giving up my beautiful metallic purple.. so I'd want something with at minimum a decent visual fidelity to seem worthy the loss of said beloved color in favor of the hardware an other improvements.

~Nat

Thing about the system transfer is that like I said you would need to update the new 3DS to latest firmware version.

Highly unlikely that the store would let you bring your computer and use it along with various hack entry points you may have to downgrade the console and install custom firmware before having even purchased it :P because you would need to at least downgrade it and install a basic menuhax cfw, the emunand of which you would update to 11.0 and -then- finally do a system transfer.

Although I guess if they really -would- let you, then that's a thing that could be done, heh.