SM - Magearna [JPN] [Sun/Moon]

Josephvb11

5 months ahead of their release, the first Japanese Pokémon Sun and Moon event has been released.

In the new games events will work differently, as to get special Pokémon like in this case Magearna you only need to scan the QR code with the RotomDex, then you can catch it in-game.

The first QR code for Japan has been released. It also confirms that the codes will be the same for everyone in the same region (but they are region locked)

FKVPh9K.jpg

Maybe we could get some info from the QR code data, but probably it's using new encryption keys.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note your wording is a little bad and got my hopes up. You said "then you can catch it in-game." which I took to mean I would be able to go find it and catch it in any ball and nickname it if wanted hopefully without a shiny lock to SR for a shiny.

Here is a quote from a official site that says you just obtain it.

"If you use the new QR Scanner function in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to scan in the corresponding QR Code, you'll be able to obtain the Mythical Pokémon Magearna! Magearna will be a special ally that you can put to work on your behalf in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon."

source http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/magearna/

Capturing it also counts as "obtaining it", though. I can't really find any info about if you get it given to you or if you get to capture it. Just Serebii has it supposedly being in a Cherish Ball with a Wishing Ribbon but yeah, until I see other sources to back this up I'm not really going to put my faith in Serebii.

Also, those are new Pokemon Tretta cards are they not? Or something like that... wonder if any of the info on the card is relevant to what you get in-game... I certainly wouldn't mind Flash Cannon.

Note your wording is a little bad and got my hopes up. You said "then you can catch it in-game." which I took to mean I would be able to go find it and catch it in any ball and nickname it if wanted hopefully without a shiny lock to SR for a shiny.

Here is a quote from a official site that says you just obtain it.

"If you use the new QR Scanner function in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to scan in the corresponding QR Code, you'll be able to obtain the Mythical Pokémon Magearna! Magearna will be a special ally that you can put to work on your behalf in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon."

source http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/magearna/

Capturing it also counts as "obtaining it", though. I can't really find any info about if you get it given to you or if you get to capture it. Just Serebii has it supposedly being in a Cherish Ball with a Wishing Ribbon but yeah, until I see other sources to back this up I'm not really going to put my faith in Serebii.

Also, those are new Pokemon Tretta cards are they not? Or something like that... wonder if any of the info on the card is relevant to what you get in-game... I certainly wouldn't mind Flash Cannon.

Yes, you will be able to catch it in-game just like in Gen 4. Here's more info about the functionality http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/discover-pokemon-using-the-qr-scanner/

When you scan the code, Magearna's habitat is registered in the Pokédex, then you can catch it. It was never mentioned that Magearna would have a ribbon or come on a special Pokeball, Serebii made that up.

This will also be the case in all regions, as the European PR confirmed (http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/2072/brand-new-pokmon-and-details-revealed-for-pokmon-sun-and-pokmon-moon):

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function. Trainers will be able to catch the Mythical Pokémon Magearna by scanning a special QR code which is planned to be distributed in Europe at a later date. More details for this will follow.

Yes, you will be able to catch it in-game just like in Gen 4. Here's more info about the functionality http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/discover-pokemon-using-the-qr-scanner/

The original QR code functionality refers to sharing of a habitat of a Pokemon in the Pokedex,

and there is no indication whether the QR code for Magearna merely unlocks an in-game event, or if it works as serial-code events, (except maybe offline or may require online)

If we can remove the encryption, it may be possible to see if this code is a wondercard or merely location unlock,

but I find it hard to determine, without the actual Sun and Moon itself

The original QR code functionality refers to sharing of a habitat of a Pokemon in the Pokedex,

and there is no indication whether the QR code for Magearna merely unlocks an in-game event, or if it works as serial-code events, (except maybe offline or may require online)

If we can remove the encryption, it may be possible to see if this code is a wondercard or merely location unlock,

but I find it hard to determine, without the actual Sun and Moon itself

That was confirmed in last month's CoroCoro. Also, the Japanese website clearly mentions that the first compatible QR code for the feature will be given in July to Pokémon Ga Olé players: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/collect/160602_02.html

Also in the European PR. (http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/2072/brand-new-pokmon-and-details-revealed-for-pokmon-sun-and-pokmon-moon):

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function. Trainers will be able to catch the Mythical Pokémon Magearna by scanning a special QR code which is planned to be distributed in Europe at a later date. More details for this will follow.

And no, they never use the world "catch" for distributions.

TWwvkJB.png

46 A9 D7 41 CB A2 AB A2 34 08 46 1A C1 68 B3 22 71 99 C1 5F FA 27 84 66 2F E1 69 45 9D DC 24 09 AE 08 FA 30 2A 6E 70 26 05 1C 83 78 D0 98 98 50 00 28 02 1F E2 1B 1A 81 65 C9 91 87 79 BA 14 05 97 E0 3E D3 EA F2 FD 82 C0 26 B1 7E 6B B0 D1 C4 BC 6C E0 6E 9F AC 2E 5D CD D4 02 59 83 DE 57 C6 7C A5 04 F4 B4 50 50 00 00 00 00 00

.j.t.º*º#@„a¬.‹2'.œ.ÿ¢xFbþ.”YÝÂ@šà.£.¦ç.`QÈ7..‰…..€!þ!±¨.\™.w›¡@Y~.í>¯/Ø,.k.æ»..KÆÎ.éúÂåÜÝ@%˜=å|gÊ[color=#ff0000]POKE[/color].......

Not long enough to be a Wondercard (unless they really trimmed down the size).

That was confirmed in last month's CoroCoro. Also, the Japanese website clearly mentions that the first compatible QR code for the feature will be given in July to Pokémon Ga Olé players: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/collect/160602_02.html

I'm not disagreeing that the QR functionality will work.

I'm saying that the mechanics of the QR functionality has not been fully explained.

That link, while applying to normal QR codes events,

doesn't specifically mean that all QR codes = catch.

As a mater of fact, they described QR codes will be able to see its habitat in the Pokedex.

Also, while you repeatedly say "it is confirmed in coro coro",

Coro coro only mentions you will obtain Magearna, at level 50 (and its moves).

It doesn't specifically mention if it will be via standard wondercard procedure or through catching.

And no, they never use the world "catch" for distributions.

You're right regarding that they almost never use the word "catch",

as they use "get" or "obtain", which is more ambiguous.

However, since the debut of Gen VI,

Game Freak has either stopped or very rarely have wondercards that activate capture events,

Likely to prevent supposed "confusion" (when interviewed to regarding why Azure Flute was never released)

With Eon Ticket being so far the one exception (likely due to mirror RSE, and also it had a lot of publicity)

and the furthest they typically go is to have item events initiate in easily accessible locations, such as Pokemon Center.

(Like Hoopa Prison bottle or Diancinite.)

So until there is:

1. confirmation that ALL QR codes = catching

(which by the way, I can't imagine a habitat of nothing but Magearna

Yes, They previously phrased it as using the QR to find the habitat,

not that it generates an event or encounter)

2. Have a lot of publicity about how to trigger the event/encounter in-game

(to ensure players won't have any confusion)

There is not enough evidence to suggest that Magearna would be a capture event.

While I'm at it, I will also argue against my point,

and state there is no saying the QR codes could work as wondercard system,

I find it mind boggling that they will proclaim it's level and moves, if it was meant to be captured.

I don't think they did that for Spiky Ear Pichu in HGSS, or for Zoroark in BW on Corocoro, right?

edit:

Interesting that they used the word "catch", and there should be no reason to doubt them when they are being hopefully unambiguous.

Also response to Kaphotics post:

It could always be a Pokemon one receives, as an in-game trigger, rather than battle.

edit2:

is gamepress an actual official site?

The UK site for Pokemon states this:

If you use the new QR Scanner function in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to scan in the corresponding QR Code, you'll be able to obtain the Mythical Pokémon Magearna! Magearna will be a special ally that you can put to work on your behalf in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

However, since the debut of Gen VI,

Game Freak has either stopped or very rarely have wondercards that activate capture events,

Likely to prevent supposed "confusion" (when interviewed to regarding why Azure Flute was never released)

With Eon Ticket being so far the one exception (likely due to mirror RSE, and also it had a lot of publicity)

Well they did do Liberty Pass right after Gen. IV ended too :P

That and in Gen. IV, Member Card and Oak's Letter both had it relatively straightforward in their item descriptions, telling you to go to Canalave Inn and Route 224 respectively. Azure Flute was less clear in-game, though they could just have added instructions to the Wondercard itself like they did with the Secret Key.

That being said, I feel like a better reason as to why they wouldn't use item-activated in-game events anymore could be because they know hackers will make cheats or save edits, or figure out exploits, that let you get those events in advance. By not making this kind of event anymore, sure people can still cheat to get hacked event-only Pokémon, but they can't get the real thing until they actually release an event for it.

See what happened in D/P/Pt, people glitched their way to obtaining Darkrai and Shaymin. So when they made Platinum, they changed the Darkrai and Shaymin, making Darkrai Lv. 50 and adding a Fateful encounter flag requirement for Sky Form Shaymin + gave Shaymin from Platinum the Fateful encounter flag. Then they distributed it only to Platinum players. It didn't help that people also used AR codes a lot to get Member Card/Oak's Letter and Azure Flute throughout Diamond and Pearl's lifespan before Platinum came out.

Probably easier to not make any more of that kind of events and stick to regular Wondercard event Pokémon. That way they know no-one will be able to get the real thing until they say so.

Victini was a day-1 release thing, so that wasn't a huge problem, and this Magearna thing seems to be a day-1 thing as well.

I don't see the point in this kind of distribution if all the codes are the same... the qr just needs to be photographed to get the event. I'm not complaining at all, it makes it a lot more accessible, but makes it kind of pointless, unless their aim is to make events finally not time-dependent (the qr scanning will work forever, no need to hack wondercards in the save or get the distro devices...).

And I do actually prefer distributions that enable in-game events, they should always make at least one of these distributions for the legendaries (even the other version's mascot at some point), it is far more enjoyable than just getting the pokémon given as gift.

Well they did do Liberty Pass right after Gen. IV ended too :P

That and in Gen. IV, Member Card and Oak's Letter both had it relatively straightforward in their item descriptions, telling you to go to Canalave Inn and Route 224 respectively. Azure Flute was less clear in-game, though they could just have added instructions to the Wondercard itself like they did with the Secret Key.

That being said, I feel like a better reason as to why they wouldn't use item-activated in-game events anymore could be because they know hackers will make cheats or save edits, or figure out exploits, that let you get those events in advance. By not making this kind of event anymore, sure people can still cheat to get hacked event-only Pokémon, but they can't get the real thing until they actually release an event for it.

See what happened in D/P/Pt, people glitched their way to obtaining Darkrai and Shaymin. So when they made Platinum, they changed the Darkrai and Shaymin, making Darkrai Lv. 50 and adding a Fateful encounter flag requirement for Sky Form Shaymin + gave Shaymin from Platinum the Fateful encounter flag. Then they distributed it only to Platinum players. It didn't help that people also used AR codes a lot to get Member Card/Oak's Letter and Azure Flute throughout Diamond and Pearl's lifespan before Platinum came out.

Probably easier to not make any more of that kind of events and stick to regular Wondercard event Pokémon. That way they know no-one will be able to get the real thing until they say so.

Victini was a day-1 release thing, so that wasn't a huge problem, and this Magearna thing seems to be a day-1 thing as well.

It wasn't a typo; I typed Gen VI. (not IV)

But yeah, in Gen V, Using Shiny Johto Beasts to get Zoroark, and using Liberty Ticket to get Victini are Day 1 events,

and those events got a lot of coverage, so it's understandable that users would know how to get the event done.

Furthermore, day 1 events makes users want to get the game on launch day, which boosts sales tremendously.

I would agree too on the hacking part.

It's probably why since Gen IV, event legendaries aren't programmed in-game any more.

Thing is, Magearna, for a day 1 event, is at level 50.

I don't see the point in this kind of distribution if all the codes are the same... the qr just needs to be photographed to get the event. I'm not complaining at all, it makes it a lot more accessible, but makes it kind of pointless, unless their aim is to make events finally not time-dependent (the qr scanning will work forever, no need to hack wondercards in the save or get the distro devices...).

And I do actually prefer distributions that enable in-game events, they should always make at least one of these distributions for the legendaries (even the other version's mascot at some point), it is far more enjoyable than just getting the pokémon given as gift.

I miss in-game events legendaries too.

It adds a certain amount of story and character to the game.

It does seem a bit odd that the QR codes are the same.

I'll confirm on whether it is once I collect mine.

I prefer in-game events too, always better to me to have them with my own OT/ID and in whichever ball I may prefer.

Sadly they haven't given us the opportunity to get all of them under our own OT/ID, which leaves some 'holes' if you could say it like that, and... patterns happen to be important to me, so in the end I just use regular events for my collection.

TWwvkJB.png

46 A9 D7 41 CB A2 AB A2 34 08 46 1A C1 68 B3 22 71 99 C1 5F FA 27 84 66 2F E1 69 45 9D DC 24 09 AE 08 FA 30 2A 6E 70 26 05 1C 83 78 D0 98 98 50 00 28 02 1F E2 1B 1A 81 65 C9 91 87 79 BA 14 05 97 E0 3E D3 EA F2 FD 82 C0 26 B1 7E 6B B0 D1 C4 BC 6C E0 6E 9F AC 2E 5D CD D4 02 59 83 DE 57 C6 7C A5 04 F4 B4 50 50 00 00 00 00 00

.j.t.º*º#@„a¬.‹2'.œ.ÿ¢xFbþ.”YÝÂ@šà.£.¦ç.`QÈ7..‰…..€!þ!±¨.\™.w›¡@Y~.í>¯/Ø,.k.æ»..KÆÎ.éúÂåÜÝ@%˜=å|gÊ[color=#ff0000]POKE[/color].......

Not long enough to be a Wondercard (unless they really trimmed down the size).

How did you get the bytes out of the QR code?

• 2 weeks later...
Why do they insist on region locking?

I wonder if it's possible to use HANS to bypass it...

Region locking, is to prevent access from people of different region, for various different reasons.

Example would be "it's exclusive for our people, you will get your own event soon" type of thing or if the QR code is actual script, "it's programmed in japanese, so imagine japanese text confusing english users" type of thing.

Why do they insist on region locking?

I wonder if it's possible to use HANS to bypass it...

Depends on if they follow the same route as Gen. VI and give every region the same game with a language selection.

Also depends on if it requires you to connect to the internet. If it doesn't then I assume it may work.

Hans doesn't actually change the region the 3DS reports. For that you need Luma3DS custom firmware, but it only changes Country, the sub-region geolocation (i.e. USA -> New York) remains the same, so it would output an illegal pokemon (JAP-> New York). You can still retrieve the wondercard though.

The only reliable way that I know of is a full Jap Emunand.

Hans doesn't actually change the region the 3DS reports. For that you need Luma3DS custom firmware, but it only changes Country, the sub-region geolocation (i.e. USA -> New York) remains the same, so it would output an illegal pokemon (JAP-> New York). You can still retrieve the wondercard though.

The only reliable way that I know of is a full Jap Emunand.

So the region and the language options actually just do the same thing and change the same setting?

I'd have thought that Region would spoof the region of the 3DS while Language forces games to run in a certain language.

So the region and the language options actually just do the same thing and change the same setting?

I'd have thought that Region would spoof the region of the 3DS while Language forces games to run in a certain language.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't used it in a long time. I remember testing this though, but I should test again to confirm. Is there any online WC event running in japan right now?

The Region and Language spoofing spoofs 3DS region to correct region and correct language,

However it is unclear if the sub-region (like the jap>new york mentioned above) is changed,

as that data is already save as the basic data in the save.

An example is, even if you were to play your X or Y on a different system, you won't be able to get different type of Vivillons, as the starting sub-region data is already saved into your save game.

Hence when spooking, you will catch pokemon that are Caught on a Japanese 3DS, but country is New York (which is obviously an illegal combination)

No clue but afaik HANS still doesn't support reading update data, so trying to connect to the internet to get a Wi-Fi events fails because it asks for latest update.

That's why I said, if it requires you to connect to the internet in one way or another, then it may not be possible to use HANS. I mean, at first we could because there wouldn't be any updates yet, but later on, when updates start showing up, it wouldn't be possible anymore until HANS was updated.

Hence when spooking, you will catch pokemon that are Caught on a Japanese 3DS, but country is New York (which is obviously an illegal combination)

Spooky. :P

No clue but afaik HANS still doesn't support reading update data, so trying to connect to the internet to get a Wi-Fi events fails because it asks for latest update.

That's why I said, if it requires you to connect to the internet in one way or another, then it may not be possible to use HANS. I mean, at first we could because there wouldn't be any updates yet, but later on, when updates start showing up, it wouldn't be possible anymore until HANS was updated.

Spooky. :P

/brainfart

I meant Spoofing xD

Apparently there may be a way to get HANs to support reading update data (not too sure cause I don't use HANs myself),

I've tried extracting the ROMfs to grab the update data and it still would not go online. (This)

Ye I've heard about that. But much like you I've only really heard from people trying it and not having any success in actually making it work, so I just assume that it doesn't work. Not a very user-friendly process either way.