Hi, I'm currently in the making of my own little rom hack, Nothing big just changing some trainer sprites, specifically Lucas and Dawn.

I have currently changed both Lucas and Dawn's overworld sprites to Riley and Cheryl. Since I'm very new and inexperienced with rom editing

(It took me several hours to figure out how to change the overworld sprite) I would really appreciate it if anyone would do a detailed tutorial

(or preferably do it for me) on how to change the back sprite and front sprite of Lucas and Dawn in Pokémon Platinum.

I have linked some images and files below that may be useful if you are so kind to help me. :smile:

Front and back sprites

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13450[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13451[/ATTACH]

Rom download link:

Pokémon Platinum Rom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread doesn't seem TOO old, so I hope this isn't necroposting...

I changed the backsprites.

Would you mind sharing how you did that? I'm trying to do the same thing (with different sprites) in Diamond, Pearl, AND Platinum and I'm having a hard time finding out how to do it properly with the tools that are available.

Some tools that I've seen people claim will work, I can't find, because they're mostly from old posts and the links I find are dead.

This thread doesn't seem TOO old, so I hope this isn't necroposting...

Would you mind sharing how you did that? I'm trying to do the same thing (with different sprites) in Diamond, Pearl, AND Platinum and I'm having a hard time finding out how to do it properly with the tools that are available.

Some tools that I've seen people claim will work, I can't find, because they're mostly from old posts and the links I find are dead.

I used a tool that Kazo made. its pretty hard to find so i will link it to you.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tphcolo64151gtc/rgcn.zip

Thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-platinum-heartgold-soulsilver-trainer-backsprite-editing.366353/

I used a tool that Kazo made. its pretty hard to find so i will link it to you.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

Do you know if that'll work on HG/SS as well? There are also encrypted back sprites in that one, though I haven't the slightest idea when they're actually used in the game if at all, to be honest.

EDIT: Actually... how does this even work? I'm just getting differently scrambled results...

Yes it works on HGSS.

To use it, select "unscramble" and select a scrambled sprite, A window should open prompting you to save. Save it and then edit it how you like, but it must be 16 colors or less. When your finished editing it select "Scramble" and select the sprite that you edited and should be scrambled. It should ask you to save so save it and it should be scrambled.

If your getting an error saying that the image is not 64x800 you need to open Tinke and goto the sprite you exported and change the width to 64 and height to 800.

To use it, select "unscramble" and select a scrambled sprite, A window should open prompting you to save. Save it and then edit it how you like, but it must be 16 colors or less. When your finished editing it select "Scramble" and select the sprite that you edited and should be scrambled. It should ask you to save so save it and it should be scrambled.

This is the result of me doing exactly that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13635[/ATTACH]

"test" is the original export from Tinke and the second is what the program gave me when I selected that.

• 3 weeks later...

The ROM is just the official unaltered ROM still. I worked on HG/SS in the mean time, which I managed to do with relative to success.

But I never figured out this backsprite situation for D/P/Pt. The sprites I'm looking to insert are custom, too, so I really just need to figure out this program you linked me.

EDIT: This is what I see in Tinke itself, by the way. I'm certain that I'm supposed to somehow export it as a proper image, but I don't know how. That seems to be my issue at this stage... the program you linked will only help me once I've figured this part out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13723[/ATTACH]

Also, I assure you that it's the correct file... but I don't see any way to un-encrypt it... I'm not sure how everyone just does it without needing to address it at all. I tried getting a newer version of Tinke, but the compile.bat failed on me and I couldn't figure out why. I'm running 0.8.1.0 right now...

Edited by Quo

I think I'll try bumping this again, if it's not a problem...

I'm just kind of out of ideas here is all...

EDIT: So I figured out where the discrepancy is... since, as I said, I'm looking to do Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, I was starting with Diamond. I assumed they were all the same in this regard... but they're not. I can see Platinum's just fine, though...

Which means Diamond and Pearl's might be impossible...? I'm not sure... but I suppose I'll keep looking for more information on Diamond and Pearl specifically. Thanks for the help so far, though, CrystalLink.

EDIT2: Once I figured out the problem, I was able to hunt down the solution. For anyone who finds this thread looking for answers later, I found said solution here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4238206&postcount=1506 (just past the "EDIT" mark on that post)

Happy hacking.

Edited by Quo