Jump to content
StarsMmd

xd Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

Recommended Posts

1. Opponent sends out 2 pokemon

2. I kill one pokemon

3. Rest of turn happens

4. Then they send out another pokemon

I thought step #4 should happen before #3. Is that changed in XG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, monkey11 said:

1. Opponent sends out 2 pokemon

2. I kill one pokemon

3. Rest of turn happens

4. Then they send out another pokemon

I thought step #4 should happen before #3. Is that changed in XG?

Yes, it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ran into a bug whilst doing some grinding, had Slaking come in after Zangoose in Mt. Battle and it automatically had Truant activate when it's action came around. Zangoose didn't get to attack, though, hmmm.

How do you think that happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.0.4 won't patch for me. Have tried multiple different ROMs including the suggested NTSC U ROM, using NUPS to patch. Every time I get "The patch doesn't match the file."

 

Anyone else with this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Logie22 said:

1.0.4 won't patch for me. Have tried multiple different ROMs including the suggested NTSC U ROM, using NUPS to patch. Every time I get "The patch doesn't match the file."

 

Anyone else with this issue?

If you select "Ignore" whilst patching, it works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pokemon A kills oppo's last pokemon. I had set Pokemon B to use Wild Flare on that pokemon. Rather than the battle ending, B used Wild Flare on A. ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, monkey11 said:

Pokemon A kills oppo's last pokemon. I had set Pokemon B to use Wild Flare on that pokemon. Rather than the battle ending, B used Wild Flare on A. ???

I don't recall that ever happening to me, have you tried to replicate it a second time?

As far as I know, there are no re-direction abilities for Fire attacks, only the absorption then cancellation of Flash Fire.

Also going to attempt to go live on the stream with the mod shortly. @StarsMmd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 6:17 AM, Logie22 said:

1.0.4 won't patch for me. Have tried multiple different ROMs including the suggested NTSC U ROM, using NUPS to patch. Every time I get "The patch doesn't match the file."

 

Anyone else with this issue?

 

On 6/13/2017 at 7:19 AM, PinkOnion said:

If you select "Ignore" whilst patching, it works fine.

I have the same problem as them, and when I did it your way the game hangs after the nintendo logo.I also posted in the other thread but it seems he(the creator) hasn't been there for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metang has 48 Attack but 56 Sp Attack. Any guess as to why that is? I doubt that the EVs happened to be that drastic...

NVM, Metang's base Atk and Sp Atk are the same, so I guess it's not that unlikely.

Edited by monkey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2017 at 7:17 PM, drizzletoed said:

Sorry to suddenly dip out on my work on the app @StarsMmd, things got busy again. Hopefully I'll have a chance to look at the app again this summer..

Found some time to start the new version recently and am blown away as always.

A couple things I've noticed so far:

  • It looks like Surf and Shadow Swim hit all 3 other Pokemon on the field, but Discharge does not.
  • The TM description for Acrobatics appears to be the description for Fake Out.
  • The first trainer with a Shadow in Phenac (Julie) has a Golbat with Fake Out--but it doesn't look like there's a way for Golbat to learn Fake Out.

Having an awesome time so far, this mod is really becoming polished.

No problem :)

I was actually thinking of trying to port everything over to something more cross platform like java or python but it'll be quite a hefty task.

I'm glad you like the changes. To address your points:

- Multi target moves with secondary effects can only target 2 pokemon without some major hacking. I had a go but it will take a lot of finagling.

- I've fixed the description and it will be correct in the next version.

- In general I don't try to stick to 100% legal movesets in XG. Illegal movesets are actually fairly common on NPC pokemon in various games.

Thanks for informing me!

On 6/6/2017 at 10:42 PM, username1 said:

no don't tell him

check the documentation in the download, it's got everything you need to know and more

Thanks for filling in for me :)

On 6/8/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dio_Vento said:

I'm doing a Let's Play of this, really enjoying it so far. Episodes once per day at noon!

The starter Beldum is guaranteed shiny, right?

I've been following your let's play. It's been really interesting getting the perspective of a fellow ROM hacker, especially one with your impressive catalogue. :)

On 6/8/2017 at 4:39 AM, PinkOnion said:

It's in the download, in the documentation files attached.

Thanks for also filling in for me as always ;)

On 6/11/2017 at 5:42 PM, monkey11 said:

1. Opponent sends out 2 pokemon

2. I kill one pokemon

3. Rest of turn happens

4. Then they send out another pokemon

I thought step #4 should happen before #3. Is that changed in XG?

Yes, those are indeed the gen 3 mechanics. I updated it in XG to be more in line with the newer mechanics from later generations. 

On 6/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, PinkOnion said:

Just ran into a bug whilst doing some grinding, had Slaking come in after Zangoose in Mt. Battle and it automatically had Truant activate when it's action came around. Zangoose didn't get to attack, though, hmmm.

How do you think that happened?

I have no clue. :S 

On 6/13/2017 at 4:07 AM, monkey11 said:

Description for Mach punch looks like it is reflect or light screen

This has now been fixed and will be correct in the next update. Thank you ;)

On 6/13/2017 at 3:17 PM, Logie22 said:

1.0.4 won't patch for me. Have tried multiple different ROMs including the suggested NTSC U ROM, using NUPS to patch. Every time I get "The patch doesn't match the file."

 

Anyone else with this issue?

This error means your ROM doesn't match the one I used. They have to match exactly. I can't tell you how to get it but make sure the file size is around 1.35 gb.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:42 AM, monkey11 said:

Pokemon A kills oppo's last pokemon. I had set Pokemon B to use Wild Flare on that pokemon. Rather than the battle ending, B used Wild Flare on A. ???

Haven't seen that before. Maybe a misclick?

On 6/14/2017 at 7:43 PM, PinkOnion said:

Also going to attempt to go live on the stream with the mod shortly. @StarsMmd

Haven't been able to catch you live but I've been catching up with the replays :)

On 6/15/2017 at 5:19 PM, Burningocean2012 said:

 

I have the same problem as them, and when I did it your way the game hangs after the nintendo logo.I also posted in the other thread but it seems he(the creator) hasn't been there for awhile.

Sorry about that. As I mentioned above you need to have the same file as mine so if it says the files don't match it's probably the wrong one. Make sure it's the US version and that you've unzipped both the rom and the patch. The file size for the rom should be around 1.35 gb. If you're certain you're doing everything properly then try a different rom :)

5 hours ago, monkey11 said:

Used Earthquake and it wasn't super effective against Ninetales.

Try looking at the colour of the ninetales a little more closely. It probably wasn't the one you thought it was :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah didn't realize Ninetales and Marowak had funky types. Is that a reference to something that I don't know about?

On a more general note, the game is great. Well done!!

---------------------------

Zeke's Arcanine just used Wild Flare against his Zangoose.

Edited by monkey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, StarsMmd said:

No problem :)

I was actually thinking of trying to port everything over to something more cross platform like java or python but it'll be quite a hefty task.

Yeah, that's a lot of code to convert, especially since Java and Python lack some of Swift's nice features. I'd consider looking into Kotlin (built on + completely interoperable with Java), which is really syntactically similar to Swift. If you like Swift, you'll like Kotlin.

On the other hand, if you wanted to start with something a little simpler, you could reuse nearly all of your current code in creating a macOS app. It wouldn't be cross-platform of course, but it would at least give easier access to the editing tools for some users (including Windows users if they want to set up a VM).

I'd love to get involved again but realistcally won't be around for much of this summer, which is a bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the new mechanics since I stopped playing Pokemon around 3rd or 4th gen. Do XG Pokemon have two abilities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkey11 said:

So I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the new mechanics since I stopped playing Pokemon around 3rd or 4th gen. Do XG Pokemon have two abilities?

Some of them can have two possible abilities, but they can only have one at a time.

Let's say in the case of PIkachu in this mod, it can have either Static or Lightningrod, but not both at the same time.

13 minutes ago, monkey11 said:

Also, what's the critical hit mechanics? Probabilities and damage increase

The critical hit damage modifier is 1.5x damage, at the same critical rate. It was a change made in Gen 6. As for that Marowak and Ninetales you mentioned, those are the Alolan Forms present in Pokemon Sun and Moon, with changed typings. Ninetales is Ice/Fairy, Marowak is Fire/Ghost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the mechanics for moves that hit multiple Pokemon? Before, moves like Earthquake did the full 100 to everyone, but moves like Surf divided up the power equally.

Also, how does Aurora Veil work? I sent Ninetales into battle and Snow Warning started a Hailstorm, but Aurora Veil is still telling me there's no PP.

And IDK if it's possible to improve the AI on this, but the AI doesn't seem to realize that Lightningrod makes it pointless to keep using electric attacks that only hit one pokemon.

Edited by monkey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, drizzletoed said:

Yeah, that's a lot of code to convert, especially since Java and Python lack some of Swift's nice features. I'd consider looking into Kotlin (built on + completely interoperable with Java), which is really syntactically similar to Swift. If you like Swift, you'll like Kotlin.

On the other hand, if you wanted to start with something a little simpler, you could reuse nearly all of your current code in creating a macOS app. It wouldn't be cross-platform of course, but it would at least give easier access to the editing tools for some users (including Windows users if they want to set up a VM).

I'd love to get involved again but realistcally won't be around for much of this summer, which is a bummer.

I was actually planning on doing some android stuff this summer so Kotlin was something I'm interested in. It's definitely something I'll look into. I really hate any IDE that isn't Xcode though. I'll see how things go with Kotlin and if it looks like it will take too long to adjust to then I'll stick to OSX for now :)

Thanks for the advice!

18 hours ago, monkey11 said:

So I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the new mechanics since I stopped playing Pokemon around 3rd or 4th gen. Do XG Pokemon have two abilities?

Not all pokemon but a lot of them do. There were already a few gen 3 pokemon with more than 1 possible ability but it was quite rare.

16 hours ago, monkey11 said:

Also, what's the critical hit mechanics? Probabilities and damage increase

A critical hit deals x1.5 damage. The probabilities are the same as in the original game. The link @PinkOnion sent is accurate.

On 6/17/2017 at 6:59 PM, monkey11 said:

Yeah didn't realize Ninetales and Marowak had funky types. Is that a reference to something that I don't know about?

On a more general note, the game is great. Well done!!

---------------------------

Zeke's Arcanine just used Wild Flare against his Zangoose.

Alolan forms from sun and moon.

Yeah, I've noticed he does that but I'm not entirely sure why. I know that the AI will use will-o-wisp to burn an ally with guts and zangoose has guts so for some reason it treats wild flare like it would will-o-wisp. I just checked, and I replaced the move poison powder with wild flare. It seems with the way the AI was built, it keeps track of the move id instead of the actual effect of the move. So he thinks he's using poison powder to poison the zangoose and activate guts. Now that I know why it's happening I can change things up so this doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, monkey11 said:

What are the mechanics for moves that hit multiple Pokemon? Before, moves like Earthquake did the full 100 to everyone, but moves like Surf divided up the power equally.

Also, how does Aurora Veil work? I sent Ninetales into battle and Snow Warning started a Hailstorm, but Aurora Veil is still telling me there's no PP.

And IDK if it's possible to improve the AI on this, but the AI doesn't seem to realize that Lightningrod makes it pointless to keep using electric attacks that only hit one pokemon.

I was under the impression that earthquake had reduced damage as well. I haven't changed it though so it works in the way it does in the original, whatever that may be. I believe it was that any move which can hit multiple targets has it's damage reduced by 25% unless there is only one target.

I accidentally gave aurora veil 0 pp but it will be fixed in a coming update.

The AI doesn't take into account which abilities your pokemon might have and even if a move doesn't work it doesn't learn from past mistakes. The AI is actually pretty lazy in pokemon games. Most of the trash trainers just choose randomly. Better ones will choose which ever move can get a KO. Some specific ones are just given a simple strategy, e.g. one pokemon uses earthquake while the other protects, then alternate. Especially with the new moves and abilities I've added, the AI isn't always perfect but I haven't quite figured out how to improve the AI yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the TM documentation is wrong.

BTW should I post all of these bugs, questions, etc here? Don't want to be spammy, but also figure you want feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, monkey11 said:

Seems the TM documentation is wrong.

BTW should I post all of these bugs, questions, etc here? Don't want to be spammy, but also figure you want feedback.

The documentation is essentially just the TM locations from the original game. I have changed the ones in realgam tower and the mt. battle coupon exchange and also added a lot of duplicate TMs to shadow pokemon so you're right it's probably a little outdated. Most of them should be correct though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2017 at 3:28 AM, StarsMmd said:

I've been following your let's play. It's been really interesting getting the perspective of a fellow ROM hacker, especially one with your impressive catalogue. :)

Thanks for the indirect compliment! I've really enjoyed your hack so far. How developed are the tools you used to make it? Super impressive how you did the REing and the actual hack production. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...