Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

On 2/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, Blob55 said:

Could you lower the levels of some of the trainers? I've fought every trainer in the game up until Snattle's first battle, yet I can't beat him, plus there's no real grinding areas in the game other than Agate and Pyrite. I also did everything in Pyrite Colosseum and I can't do the Colosseum in Realgam Tower until later.

Isn't Mt. Battle available to do some grinding by that point?

For the last week, my internet went out, allowing me loads of free time. I played this game as a result, and I have to say thanks to the OP for this. It was a very fun game.

6 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

For the last week, my internet went out, allowing me loads of free time. I played this game as a result, and I have to say thanks to the OP for this. It was a very fun game.

Oh wow, I'm so used to doing Mt. Battle post-game I forgot it's a thing during the main campaign.

Though ATM, I'm busy getting the rest of the PokéSpot Pokémon.

Edited by Blob55

I've uploaded the latest updates for both Pokemon XG (v1.2.0) and Gale of Darkness/Colosseum tools (v1.0.1).

Version 1.2.0 is the first version to take advantage of my new scripting language for XD so it took a while to make and a lot of time to test. Whereas I used to edit small sections of scripts at a time, GoD tool now completely rebuilds the scripts from scratch. This means there's a much smaller chance of human error but it also means that if there's the slightest bug in the scripting tool it could have unforeseeable consequences. I think everything is working fine now but if you do encounter any weird behaviour in the game then let me know as usual 🙂

GoD tool and Colosseum tool have had a whole bunch of new features added and I've fixed all the bugs I could find so they should be a lot more reliable. I've tried to make them more intuitive but there is quite a lot there so I'll aim to make some tutorials in the near future.

I'm also happy to announce that I've done most of the foundational work on hack tools for Pokemon Battle Revolution. It's still low priority for a while but it's very similar to XD in a lot of ways so it's been a relatively simple process.

Replies to previous questions and comments:

Spoiler
On 11/28/2018 at 1:32 AM, killerASCII said:

I've got a new bug to report. Shadow Cacturne used Shadow Fear on its own ally, Sharpedo. For context, I had Mawile and Weezing out, and it had used Shadow Hunter on my Mawile the previous turn, the first turn it was out. I wish I could come up with a single reason for this AI behavior, but this needs looking into.

So it turns out that the original move in Shadow Fear's slot is actually Psyche up and it seems the AI was programmed to use some kind of Psyche up strategy to copy boosts from its ally. The AI is something I'm currently researching as it doesn't play well with a lot of the changes.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:11 AM, SurprisedPikachu said:

Hey Stars! I know you get this a lot, but I made an account so I could post in this thread. Thanks for all of your hard work, I've spent probably around 200 hours between all of the hacks and such that you've worked on (and still growing too!).

I'm playing version v.1.1.8,  and I used your XD randomizer on it. I got to the point in the game where I can get Pokemon from Pokespots, but I think that because all of those Pokemon are randomized too, it's making the game crash. I enter the Pokespot where a Pokemon is and the screen is black with the music continuing for a few seconds before the game crashes. I have a feeling it's probably something relating to the Pokemon models that are supposed to show up, maybe?

I play this game so often that if I run into something else, I'll be sure to let you know! Thanks again Stars, you rule!

I'm really happy to hear that. Thank you!

I've had a think about the issue and I know what the cause is. I've made a note to myself to make sure the pokespot script for XG works properly with the randomiser. It's not an issue in vanilla XD though.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:14 PM, Marcusc04 said:

Hey, @StarsMmd, is there an ETA on when 1.2.0 will be available? I can wait, but thought there might be an ETA since the changelog for 1.2.0 is listed in OP, but there is not a download link yet.

Out now. Sorry for the delay. It had actually been completed a while back but by the time I finished testing life stuff came up. 

On 12/13/2018 at 3:26 PM, face235 said:

I nominated this game for 2018 Game of the Year (Romhacks/Fangames) over at GBATemp, and it got in! It's up against some stiff competition, so let's support this game.

(Without breaking any forum rules, that is...)

I wasn't aware of the competition but I appreciate being considered 🙂

On 12/28/2018 at 2:38 PM, Burningocean2012 said:

Hey,can we expect 1.2.0 in time for the new year?Really enjoying this hack. :PSMD-Cheerful:

Sorry it's a bit late but it's here now 🙂

On 1/22/2019 at 12:30 AM, Blob55 said:

Will Eevee have the same stats as the one from Let's Go Eevee?

Let's go is designed for you to keep eevee as your partner without evolving it but XD expects you to evolve it straight away so I don't think the stats are necessary. If you personally wanted a version like that I could easily make a custom patch for that though.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:02 PM, Blob55 said:

BTW, is there a reason why Blastoise has a lower BST than in XD? It went from 530 to 515.

The stats in XG are rebalanced based on whatever I felt would help each pokemon be viable in its own way. 

On 1/26/2019 at 7:16 PM, Blob55 said:

I have a suggestion:

Can you replace Tentacruel with Clamperl in Oasis PokéSpot? Nothing in the Clamperl line is capturable and Tentacool can still be caught in the same PokéSpot.

I left clamperl out because its evolution is tricky to handle in an obvious way and adding both evolutions separately adds 2 niche water types in a game with many more popular options. However, I'll see if I can squeeze them in somewhere in the future. Adding new models for the pokespots is a stressful process so I've done my best to avoid adding anything new to them 😅

On 1/27/2019 at 6:31 PM, TrainerX493 said:

First, thanks for your previous post about the little unknown things about the game, I'm glad it gave you something to do at the time. (Late reply, I was going to ask my question in the second paragraph but I found a old partial reply the site remembered here. Don't know where I was going with it though, so this one is from scratch.) The 50% speed boost thing came from the bottom of the 1.0.1 changelog under the updated mechanics section in the op. Quote: " Most people don't know this but in XD, shadow pokemon get a 50% speed boost. This has now been taken out. "

Anyway, I wanted to ask about the 1.2 update note of: " Removed some scripted events from early in the story to speed up progression " I was going to make your next update my first playthrough of XD, is the change something that I would miss if it was not there (and therefore is there a way to turn it on/off or a second patch with it still included), and is there anything else I will be missing from the base game outside of the changes to the Pokemon and a couple locked off wip areas?

Edit: 1.2, not 2.0

Hmmm... I've been working on this for so many years now it's hard to keep track and I've pretty much been learning as I go so it's possible I got it mixed up with something else back then or I'm forgetting something now but I'll double check.

The events I took out are just really annoying events that can't be skipped. There's a whoooooole lot of talking at the start of the XD story and it really slows the game down. It's not too bad on the first play through but I've played/watched the game something like 50-100 times now so I decided to cut stuff out. None of it is actually important to the story though. It's things like being forced to listen to characters tell you about their hobbies which you can still find out by going up to talk to them.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, Blob55 said:

Could you lower the levels of some of the trainers? I've fought every trainer in the game up until Snattle's first battle, yet I can't beat him, plus there's no real grinding areas in the game other than Agate and Pyrite. I also did everything in Pyrite Colosseum and I can't do the Colosseum in Realgam Tower until later.

The game is balanced expecting the player to make full use of the game mechanics and features. There is a good selection of tactical moves available via the move tutor and TMs as well as held items and abilities to take advantage of. For example one could use the trick room TM to reverse the trick room in battle.

Of course, as mentioned below Mt. Battle is available for training as well.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, RustInPeace said:

I appreciate the kind words 🙂

• Like 1

Hello, glad to see 1.2.0 made it!

Sadly however, I just spent over about an hour trying to get it to work, but every configuration across all versions of Dolphin I could think of turned the same result, crashing after choosing anything in the intro battle sim. I tried all your recommendations for Dolphin in the OP, and anything else I could think of, but nothing gets past that first selection for ol' Metagross (as well as changing Pokes or giving up).

Just wanted to give you a heads up, I'm sure you'd like your hard work to, well work after all! After I can get around to trying this again I'd love to leave some more in depth/constructive feedback for certain things about the hack since I haven't played since like 1.0 a couple years ago. There's also some things I'd like to open discussion about in regards to catch rates, boss fights with multiple shadow pokes, and other things related more to the core game, but for now I'd just like to try this version out and see what's new and fresh. Thanks! 

15 hours ago, EvilApple567 said:

Hello, glad to see 1.2.0 made it!

Sadly however, I just spent over about an hour trying to get it to work, but every configuration across all versions of Dolphin I could think of turned the same result, crashing after choosing anything in the intro battle sim. I tried all your recommendations for Dolphin in the OP, and anything else I could think of, but nothing gets past that first selection for ol' Metagross (as well as changing Pokes or giving up).

Just wanted to give you a heads up, I'm sure you'd like your hard work to, well work after all! After I can get around to trying this again I'd love to leave some more in depth/constructive feedback for certain things about the hack since I haven't played since like 1.0 a couple years ago. There's also some things I'd like to open discussion about in regards to catch rates, boss fights with multiple shadow pokes, and other things related more to the core game, but for now I'd just like to try this version out and see what's new and fresh. Thanks! 

I just wanted to chime in to say that I played this hack for 6 hours the other day on Dolphin with no issues whatsoever. You must not have the right settings.

Edited by fokcs

1 hour ago, fokcs said:

I just wanted to chime in to say that I played this hack for 6 hours the other day on Dolphin with no issues whatsoever. You must not have the right settings.

Well, 1.2 came out less than two days ago, so unless by "the other day" you meant yesterday or Wednesday after noon then you probably weren't using the current version. 1.8.X worked (at least as far as getting past the intro battle sim on occasion), but having tried everything across multiple builds of Dolphin (5.0 through the most recent dev build) I haven't gotten 1.2.0 to proceed past the aforementioned trouble point.

While I havent had issues with dolphin, I have the exact same freezing issue on nintendont so I am unable to play it on nintendont but would prefer to play it there instead of on dolphin. On nintendont, any action in any battle causes the game to hang.

Edited by ShinyVulpix

6 hours ago, EvilApple567 said:

Well, 1.2 came out less than two days ago, so unless by "the other day" you meant yesterday or Wednesday after noon then you probably weren't using the current version. 1.8.X worked (at least as far as getting past the intro battle sim on occasion), but having tried everything across multiple builds of Dolphin (5.0 through the most recent dev build) I haven't gotten 1.2.0 to proceed past the aforementioned trouble point.

It was 1.2. I played it on the day it released. I couldn't tell you my exact settings since I change so much around but I ran Dolphin in administrator and have the newest build (the experimental build not the latest stable one)

3 hours ago, fokcs said:

It was 1.2. I played it on the day it released. I couldn't tell you my exact settings since I change so much around but I ran Dolphin in administrator and have the newest build (the experimental build not the latest stable one)

I'm having the exact same issue as @EvilApple567, and am also using the latest Beta build (5.0-9494) with recommended settings, so it appears to be a machine-specific issue. @StarsMmd, could you please look into this? I'm playing on desktop. I patched a copy of the same unpatched .iso as 1.8.x with NUPS (created a backup file), so I didn't patch it incorrectly. It just freezes with the sound still playing when selecting any action in the first battle.

Edit: By 'same unpatched .iso', I meant the original CLEAN .iso that I used to patch 1.8.x.

Edited by Marcusc04

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

Yeah, I had the same issue as you guys. I tried using the stable Dolphin 5.0 and the battles run. I guess it's something in the updates that are causing the freeze.

Can confirm it works on 5.0 (at least getting past the trouble point). I really thought I tested 5.0 as I stated in my reply to fokcs, but I have so many versions all over I guess I got confused, my apologies. 

Hopefully Stars will add this info into the Dolphin Recommended Settings.

Hi, I have a problem with the current version of Pokemon XG: Next Gen, I can run the original game without crash, but when I patch it and play, it allways crash when I use a move that is not in the ROM. (First battle Bullet Punch for example)

Please help me :(

Edit: I can play on the v1.8.3 but not on v2, and we don't start with Beldum+Eevee? I started with Eevee+Zigzagoon lol

Edited by Meoshimo

12 hours ago, Meoshimo said:

Hi, I have a problem with the current version of Pokemon XG: Next Gen, I can run the original game without crash, but when I patch it and play, it allways crash when I use a move that is not in the ROM. (First battle Bullet Punch for example)

Please help me :(

Edit: I can play on the v1.8.3 but not on v2, and we don't start with Beldum+Eevee? I started with Eevee+Zigzagoon lol

Try using Dolphin stable build 5.0. The Zigzagoon change is intentional because Stars wanted to switch up the Pokemon.

My friends and I are all playing the exact same game off dolphin/nintendont, but while I was able to play off dolphin, only 1/3 of my friends were able to play off nintendont... literally don't know what the issue is with the first battle and freezing, looked into the files to try and skip that battle but its also not possible

I finally tested it out myself and it froze on both Dolphin and Nintendont. I tried to work around the tutorial battle, using a save of 1.1.8 and it still froze at the Chobin Battle.

Really don't know what the issue is. May try a different patching tool.

Can anyone private message me the patched version of the game itself because when I did it, everything just freezes before a pokemon attacks

I'm playing on Nintendont so Dolphin emulator fixes won't help me

Edited by Edowg430

Sad to say, but it happened to me as well on Nintendont. Game version 1.2.0 freezes as soon as Metagross chooses a move.

Note: I'm using a dump from my physical copy of the game. Version 1.1.8-3 ran flawlessly, I stopped at Citadark's entrance for unknown reasons.

More bad news: This romhack and almost every other hack In the GBATemp 2018 Game of the Year (Romhacks/Fangames) contest got trounced hard by the Ni no Kuni DS English translation.

Yeah I tried this too on Nintendont and it froze instantly on the first turn of the sim battle. Dolphin so far though has worked incredibly well besides one random crash that I couldn't recreate. Anyone who wants to play this should try it on Dolphin for now, especially if you have a decent PC.

Hiya again Stars! I thought I would take some semi-thorough notes on things I notice while playing through the newest version of the game! I've got them organized below. I hope they are of some use or help to you, as I would love to contribute anything I can to your wonderful hack!

If there's something you don't understand, feel free to ask! I would be more than happy to clarify on anything necessary! :)

Oddities/Glitches/Misc.:

Spoiler

* In the randomizer, upon speaking to the sailor in Perr & his grandfather's shop (the one who gives you the items necessary for Eevee's evolutions), he will say "Oh, you were raising an Eevee, but you've set it free?". Presumably because there's no data of any Eevee in our party or box to begin with.
* I'm not sure how intentional it is, but when you first approach the Agate Cave to speak to the man that lets you in, you suddenly obtain Berry Juice. As long as you don't speak to the man (thus having him move), you can gain a Berry Juice nearly (if not) every step within a certain range of where he is standing. Across both a randomized and un-randomized version of 1.2.0, this happens. I very nearly got caught in a softlock because every single step I took caused me to collect Berry Juice and I couldn't navigate to speak to the man fast enough before the "You obtained Berry Juice" came up. This also can be manipulated to get an infinite amount of Berry Juice (I picked up 43 before deciding that it was likely infinite and exploitable) and thus able to be sold for infinite money.
*Does the randomizer just swap the species with one another rather than randomizing the parties in each battle? When playing in Mt. Battle, it seems that the former is occurring, which, considering that each area is essentially divided in half by typing, causes a lot of duplicate parties/species appearances. For example, the first half of Area 1 is Ghost-types; fairly basic ones such as Duskull, Gastly, and Misdreavus. In my randomized run, in this first section, each battle (in this first half of Area 1) had some combination of Ivysaur, Pichu, Salamence, and/or Teddiursa, with the "mini-boss" at #5 having Moltres and Marowak (presumably, one of them replacing the Gengar that this trainer has in the vanilla version). I have the exact same thing happen in both Colosseum and XD when a randomizer Gecko code is used, if that contributes any information.
*Lovrina's Bae shows up in the Strategy Memo as a dupe Gardevoir. After looking at how her nicknamed Pokemon are implemented in the game (using the Gale of Darkness tool/randomizer tool) as seperate Pokemon altogether, that's gotta be why...but I'm not sure if anything can be done about that. This also happens with all of her other Pokemon that are nicknamed.
*Something finicky that I wouldn't have noticed if not for playing a randomized copy of the game; one of the Shadow Pokemon I encountered was Unown in it's G form. For some reason, when I scroll to it and view it in the Shadow Monitor, it will show a random Unown form everytime I view it instead of the form I caught (G). This also happens when scrolling up or down and then back to Unown's entry. This doesn't occur in the Strategy Memo, as it correctly shows Unown as G form and does not change every time I view it.
• I had randomized both a copy of 1.1.8 and 1.2.0; when I selected the TM randomizer on both, it was successful for both TMs and Move Tutor moves on 1.1.8 while neither were randomized at all for 1.2.0 after several tries.
• I am also not sure if the option to set trade evolutions to level 36 worked or not. I tried seeing if this would conflict with the existence of the Lode Stone, but only the Lode Stone worked and not the level evolution. I'm not sure if this is because of a conflict between the two methods or because the option, just as the TM randomizer, failed.
• A leftover from the original game is a message that shows when you beat Mt. Battle Zones 1-3. The man at the counter will say something like "Oh hey, you beat the first three zones! Now you can move on to four and beyond!" I forgot exactly what he said, but it was similar to that.
• My opponent had a flame orb get activated when it switched out, but the text said that both it and the partner Pokemon had the orb activated.
• Approaching Kyogre and Groudon is enough to trigger it's battle, while every other stationary requires that you press A.
• The camera angles on menus (such as status menus, PDA, and Purification Chamber) are different between Alolan Ninetales and Kantonian Ninetales. The one for Alolan Ninetales is panned farther away.
• As of right now I'm still working on my randomizer playthrough but completed the regular one of 1.2.0! I'll update with anything else weird I might find! :)

Text issues:

Spoiler

-When speaking to Perr after getting the machine part, he says "Director,Prof. Krane" in one line of his dialogue.
-When the Fun Old Man in Area 1, #5 is defeated, he mentions that you have to "be good to beat my Shroomish," which he does not have in his party in this game.
-When talking to the Abra in the Mt. Battle Reception (in between areas, the one that teleports you back), the text will read "MT. Battle" in every mention of Mt. Battle.
-Krane, in his dialogue with Naps at the Cipher Lab, has a line that reads "I'll teach you why it's such a bad mistake to create  Shadow Pokemon" (there is two spaces between the words 'create' and 'Shadow')
-Before the Naps battle at Cipher Lab, his last line of dialogue before the battle starts doesn't end in a period (although it sounds really ominous without the period, so maybe this was on purpose)
-Every instance of receiving the ribbon after purification (at either the HQ or Agate) shows the word "ribbon" in all caps ("_____ obtained a RIBBON!").
-When delivering the Taylor Swift CD to the disguised Cipher Peon in the Phenac Mayor's house, she says "Sweet! It's "Shake it off"!" I think that the title of the song should be capitalized as "Shake It Off".
-The above capitalization error happens again when checking the music player in the house after defeating both Cipher Peons.
-There's a bookcase in the mayor's house (the bottom one) that has text reading "Phenac City'S History". Just some missed decapitalization.
-Infestation has the description of Wrap.
-The trainer in Area 4, #32 mentions her Psychic Pokemon upon defeat. This is a remnant from vanilla XD, and isn't correct in the context of XG (trainers in the first half of this area use grass types).
- Similar to the one above, the trainer in Area 4, #36 talks about her Grimer and "foul-smelling" Pokemon.
- Upon getting the 5 Sitrus Berries after clearing Area 4, the text says "5 Sitrus Berrys"
- Same for clearing Area 5 and "Lum Berrys"
- Area 6, #51 says "I have a thing for the Ground type." The trainers in the first half of this zone use Ice types.
- Area 6, #54 talks about his unevolved Pokemon, doesn't have any.
- #58 talks about resurrected Pokemon, only uses Dark types.
- Clearing Area 6 will say "2 Rare Candys"
- #62 says "Zone100" with no space.
- The PDA message from Eldes received after the credits roll reads "...Phenac, Pyrite and Gateon" when it should have a comma after "Pyrite".
- Upon defeating Mirror B. for the last time, the dialogue says "Cipher 's" with a space in-between the apostrophe and Cipher.
- The description for Shadow Colours says "Likely to burn,paralyse or freeze the target." It should read "Likely to burn, paralyze, or freeze the target."
- Defeating Exol in Orre Colosseum causes him to say "I-I Lost?" The L in lost should not be capitalized.
- When battling Smarton in the Orre Colosseum, he says "pp" when it should say "PP".
- He also says "You broke my defenses.?"
- Gonzap says "Sangem Gang" in his introduction.
- Gonzap also notes when he gives his title (that Eagun reads) that the player is an honorary Team Snagem member and not a Snagem Gang member.
- Willie says "whew, you smoked my team." The w in 'whew' should be capitalized.
- Eldes says he hones his skills at "Mt.Battle" with no space in between the words.
- Vander has the same error in his introduction and his defeat.
- Stars does the same in his defeat.
- Stars' message when Eagun reads it says "Orre colosseum" when it should say "Orre Colosseum" and "Mt. battle" when it should say "Mt. Battle". Twitter might also need to be capitalized. 😛

Other thoughts:

Spoiler

~Maybe the randomizer can have some sort of option to only allow a species to appear once as a Shadow Pokemon. Somehow with 120ish available Shadow Pokemon slots, I've had a single species appear two or three times. I don't think this is a problem in terms of Pokemon from the same evolution branch both/all appearing as Shadow Pokemon (example: Bagon and Salamence) as that feels more consistent with the feeling of vanilla XG as well as feeling much less redundant than single-species duplicates.
~~A continuation of the above thought: I feel like single-species duplicates in the Pokespot slots aren't as bad as the Shadow Pokemon slots. The player might avoid Pokespots altogether, or feel that with the 120 ~ish Shadow Pokemon "rolls" there is bound to be a team that they find enjoyable. The only other scenario I can think of where repeats might feel disappointing is the Mt. Battle rewards due to the difficulty of obtaining the Pokemon there in contrast with Pokespots. On the other hand, the prize Pokemon are also something the player may choose to ignore or not care about receiving. The game is largely over at that point, and it's pretty unlikely to have species dupes between the three prizes. Even if it happens, it could just be chalked up to "oh well, randomizer."

~In a similar vein to Shadow Pokemon species dupes, I feel that maybe the randomizer could have an option to only allow a move to appear once as a TM. TMs are reusable in XG, which makes a duplicate TM useless as well as taking away a space that another TM could have filled, effectively leaving the player with less TMs. The same may go for Move Tutor moves as well.

Needs more investigation:

Spoiler

-Shiny Shadow Onix turns more and more purple each time Shadow Whip is used. If in Rage Mode, it will turn more and more orange/red-ish. (occurred in randomizer)

1 hour ago, Dandra said:

Just popped in to say that ever since downloading and playing patch 1.2.0 the game freezes whenever the first turn of any battle occurs. Played on Dolphin 5.0-9494, unsure if it has to do with settings or not.

Are Panic Handlers off?