StarsMmd

Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

760 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

On ‎24‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 8:11 AM, Spartan-ZeroFiveTwo said:

Holy, mothballs. I just wanted to say that I discovered this hack about a year ago and I love how far it's come. Thanks so much for your hard work and I'm looking forward to a potential Colosseum one in the same vein! 

 

 

(Also, are Shadow Pokemons' heart gauges supposed to be going down super quick?) 

 

It seems the heart gauge is based on the Pokemon rarity class. My pseudo-legendary take forever whilst my starters and other regulars are finished after a hour of wandering about. Bagon took literally near six hours to finish up because I believe he leads to Salamence. Regardless, might find out more soon since I plan to catch every possible Pokemon during most versions of this hack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think Magic Bounce doesn't work with Will-O-Wisp. A Sableye used it on my Espeon and it worked. Just thought you would want to know.

Edited by Kingudaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late, but I finished this game on my YouTube channel. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Probably my favorite ROM hack I've played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I haven't seen this hack since 0.9.8 or something like that. I'll look forward to seeing how much it's improved since then.

On a side not, do you intend to go back to Mausoleum and put it up to date with XG in terms of mechanics and other changes?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focus Sash doesn't work on Shedinja, even though it's supposed to keep it from dieing, so Shedinja is useless without it. I am using 1.0.4, BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure how to catch Ho-Oh without Masterball... Strategy was to freeze it and get it at low health, but it keeps unfreezing itself with Shadow Tribute. I thought Tribute would run out after 5 uses (says 5 pp in documentation), but it isn't.

Was able to catch it sleeping after a bunch of tries.

Edited by monkey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey idk if this is where i should be asking but i tried using this hack and it wont work on usbloader(it loads up the regular game with no changes) is there a way i could just download the root files and just recompile an iso that way cuz it seems to work better for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, great hack, man. Really love playing through XD with the new additions.

Now then, all the effects of the last turn of a battle occur when they're not supposed to, leading to some cheap deaths. (i.e. Burn, Poison, Perish Song) I think it has something to do with the way you coded the wait for end of turn to send in the next Pokemon instead of immediately.

Also, Bellossom used to be Grass/Fairy in previous versions, I'd love for it to be so again, though it doesn't have to be.

Finally, you could get more Pokemon lines in if you'd reduce the amount of duplicates available as either wild or Shadow. For example, Absol is both a wild Pokemon and a Shadow. This seems a little much. Other examples include both Bagon and Salamence as Shadow Pokemon, Swablu as wild and Altaria as a Shadow, and so on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battle mechanics have been updated to the newer generations... I had the same question, was answered previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, monkey11 said:

The battle mechanics have been updated to the newer generations... I had the same question, was answered previously.

But the new battle mechanics are supposed to end the battle as soon as the last opponent's Pokemon faints. The current mechanics causes the battle to continue after this until after another turn, which also both positive and negative effects to occur when they aren't supposed to.

EDIT: I have compiled a list of duplicate Pokemon encounters, as well as the list of Pokemon lines that are unavailable within XG. If I am allowed, I can show this list to @StarsMmd. Thank you again for this great hack.

 

Edited by MightyandRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Does Rain Dance allow all electric attacks to bypass accuracy check, or just Thunder?

I forget how good it is on the first battle, but Tyrion's AI on the second battle (after Shadows caught) is pretty bad. I know this might be impossible to improve. He has opportunities to use super effective moves and instead uses less effective moves.

Edited by monkey11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave my Golbat 20 Vivid Scents, and yet it still doesn't like me very much. Happiness seems to be broken for Golbat, because my other Pokemon get more friendship over time, but not my Golbat, which sucks because it evolves by friendship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2017 at 7:49 PM, monkey11 said:

Some other questions/issues:

Hypnosis was effective against a Dark Pokemon. IDK if that's intended.

Is there a TM for Light Screen? The docu says it's in the Pyrite jail, but it's not. It's TM 46. In XD, 46 is Thief, and isn't in the game at all.

Regi Bomb hits both oppos. On each hit, ATK/DEF drops for user, so they drop twice. Is this intended?

My poke uses trick room. Oppo sends out poke whose trickster activates. Then I use trick room again. I would think at this point the order would be reverse speeds, but it's normal. Why is that? I may just not understand trick mechanics.

My poke uses trick room. On the last turn (before it expires), my poke uses trick room. It would normally go at the beginning (super low speed), but for some reason it goes at the end.

Trick room seems to only last for 4 full turns (ie. not including the turn it is used). Is that intended? I assume that in the turn it is used, the effect does not occur.

My poke uses Curse a few times. I haven't really tested this, but I get the feeling that it's ATK isn't actually being boosted. I just wanted to throw that out there and see if that's a known issue. Might just be my imagination.

 

I guess that's just how hypnosis worked in Gen 3. Not sure how it's supposed to work in newer gens.

The TM list is outdated. Sorry about that. I think it should be there somewhere but can't remember where.

I have changed Regi Bomb's effect. Thank you :-)

Trick room has it's proper mechanics which means every second one reverts it to normal. However, trickster doesn't reverse trick room. If trick room is already active then trickster doesn't change anything. It essentially exists to guarantee that certain NPCs always get up trick room without accidentally reversing it.

I think that's the way trick room is supposed to work, right? The turn it is activated counts as a turn even though it goes last so that turn is irrelevant. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I think curse should work just fine. 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:44 PM, Yoker said:

Hello. Just made an account for this topic! Pokemon XD is my childhood and I just recently learned that you are actually actively developing a hack for my favorite game of all time! Just saying that I am watching your work and really hyped for any changes that may come in the future! Love you for your works mate.

Also, a question if possible to be answered! Do you plan (or is it possible, perhaps) to change the AI to be more difficult? I would really love for this game to be very difficult or at least come with the options to change the difficulty of the AI. If that were possible alongside randomizers and other neat features, I could see a future where a lot of people would do tonnes of challenge runs. Just a suggestion/idea. Keep up the good work and I will be actively observing.

 

Thank you for the kind words. I really like XD as well and I'm glad I get to share my hack with other fans.

I have actually improved the AI ever so slightly. Most trainers are now using the AI from orre colosseum which is meant to be better. The old AI seemed to pick moves pretty randomly whereas the orre colosseum one chooses mostly super effective but occasionally mixes it up in case you switch. It's still not very good though unfortunately.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:18 PM, jumpylaxs123 said:

@StarsMmd OK so I restarted the game to have another round and I came across zook's zangoose in gateon port. Would it remain shiny till the next time I see him?

The shininess is normally determined the first time you encounter the pokemon. However, there is a bug with Zook's Zangoose where it is completely rerolled for the first 3 appearances. It is only the first time the player actually faces Zook that it's stats are saved.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:41 AM, monkey11 said:

A little strange that Octillery doesn't learn Octazooka?

Whoops. Will be fixed in the next update ;)

On 7/24/2017 at 7:11 AM, Spartan-ZeroFiveTwo said:

Holy, mothballs. I just wanted to say that I discovered this hack about a year ago and I love how far it's come. Thanks so much for your hard work and I'm looking forward to a potential Colosseum one in the same vein! 

 

 

(Also, are Shadow Pokemons' heart gauges supposed to be going down super quick?) 

The early pokemon deplete quickly but the ones later on will take a while.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:43 PM, Rhyxen said:

Hey 
first of all sorry for my bad english and now to my question.
Whatever i download i only get .gcm files from pkm xd and want to ask if there is any way to apply the patch to this file because whenever i patch it with ignore with NUPS it shut down dolphin at the start of the emulation.
Also i dont know if its allowed to ask is somebody has a page where u can download a iso and not a gcm cause i really looking forward to play this interesting game.

.gcm is the same as .iso. You can just rename it. However, if it isn't working that means you have a different iso to the one I used and you need to try another one.

On 7/25/2017 at 5:04 AM, monkey11 said:

Zapdos entered, Drizzle activated, used Hurricane, but it missed. Isn't it supposed to always hit in rain?

Also, I'm not sure that Sand Rush is working properly... Moltres, Articuno, Tyranitar, and Flygon all entered. So weather changed from nothing to sun to hail to sand. But the turn order was Moltres, Articuno, Flygon, Tyranitar. I would think that Flygon would go first, with a doubled speed. Flygon is about 10 levels lower, but I wouldn't think there'd be that much of a gap.

Also, I've been waiting a while for the final battle with Miror B. Longer than I normally have to wait for the radar to go off. Is it supposed to be like that?

Another weird thing: Registeel used Curse 2 times and so is going first when Trick Room is on. But then Trick Room expires, and it still goes before Dusclops (same level). Dusclops is super slow, but its Speed stat is not less than half of Registeel's.

Hurricane should alway hit in rain. It is possible that there was a pokemon in play with the cloud nine ability which cancels the effects of weather. 

It is possible that it really was that slow. I'm assuming the flygon belonged to the NPC and most NPC pokemon don't have EVs, IVs or boosting natures.

The final fight is scripted to activate when you visit Gateon Port for the first time after meeting the conditions. It isn't random like the other instances.

Dusclops was probably going for trick room which has -9 priority. The AI really loves spamming trick room for some reason.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:31 AM, Kingudaku said:

I think Magic Bounce doesn't work with Will-O-Wisp. A Sableye used it on my Espeon and it worked. Just thought you would want to know.

If both pokemon have magic bounce then the move works. Otherwise there would be an infinite loop of the move bouncing back and forth :-)

On 7/26/2017 at 11:57 AM, Dio_Vento said:

Late, but I finished this game on my YouTube channel. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Probably my favorite ROM hack I've played.

I really enjoyed your play through! Can't wait to see what kind of hack you make once tools are available.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:07 PM, Matiri said:

Wow, I haven't seen this hack since 0.9.8 or something like that. I'll look forward to seeing how much it's improved since then.

On a side not, do you intend to go back to Mausoleum and put it up to date with XG in terms of mechanics and other changes?   

I do plan to work on colosseum eventually but the code and scripts just aren't as nicely structured as XD unfortunately :)

On 7/29/2017 at 0:49 AM, MightyandRay said:

Focus Sash doesn't work on Shedinja, even though it's supposed to keep it from dieing, so Shedinja is useless without it. I am using 1.0.4, BTW.

I had to specifically program it not to work on shedinja because the focus sash is infinite in XG which would make shedinja a pain to K.O.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:44 AM, monkey11 said:

Not sure how to catch Ho-Oh without Masterball... Strategy was to freeze it and get it at low health, but it keeps unfreezing itself with Shadow Tribute. I thought Tribute would run out after 5 uses (says 5 pp in documentation), but it isn't.

Was able to catch it sleeping after a bunch of tries.

Shadow moves have infinite pp. They are all stored as 5 in the data but the code never subtracts any pp.

On 7/29/2017 at 3:48 PM, JordanB500 said:

hey idk if this is where i should be asking but i tried using this hack and it wont work on usbloader(it loads up the regular game with no changes) is there a way i could just download the root files and just recompile an iso that way cuz it seems to work better for me 

If there are no changes then you are playing a version that hasn't been patched or wasn't patched properly.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:30 PM, MightyandRay said:

Firstly, great hack, man. Really love playing through XD with the new additions.

Now then, all the effects of the last turn of a battle occur when they're not supposed to, leading to some cheap deaths. (i.e. Burn, Poison, Perish Song) I think it has something to do with the way you coded the wait for end of turn to send in the next Pokemon instead of immediately.

Also, Bellossom used to be Grass/Fairy in previous versions, I'd love for it to be so again, though it doesn't have to be.

Finally, you could get more Pokemon lines in if you'd reduce the amount of duplicates available as either wild or Shadow. For example, Absol is both a wild Pokemon and a Shadow. This seems a little much. Other examples include both Bagon and Salamence as Shadow Pokemon, Swablu as wild and Altaria as a Shadow, and so on. 

In gen 3, when you knock out a pokemon in a double battle the next one is sent out immediately instead of at the end of the term. I fixed this but a side effect of that turns play out when they shouldn't. I found the code routine where the check should happen but it's fairly complex so I probably won't be able to figure that out just yet.

I decided I didn't want to make too many random changes as it makes the hack harder to pick up. Hack tools will be released eventually and then anyone will be able to make their own little tweaks like that :)

Every evolution line I wanted to add has been added. There is a reason for the repetition too. A flaw that XD has is that the pokemon you obtain at the end of the game come too late to be useful. So for example, if salamence were only available at the end then it would mean that a very popular pokemon cannot be used. At the same time, a lot of popular pokemon are powerful. So if popular pokemon are placed early in the game so they can be used, then it means all the final bosses will only have weak pokemon. By having the repeats, players can use the pokemon they want and still have a challenge at the end of the game.

Also, a lot of repeats are in pokespots. I've found a lot of players don't spend much time with pokespots and so will often get to the repeats and not even notice they were repeats. Finally, some players don't like grinding to get powerful pokemon like salamence by evolving bagon but would like salamence available for post game challenges like mt. battle and orre colosseum. Having a few powerful repeats allows those trainers who don't care too much about using popular pokemon in game but still want a competitive edge for post game to easily obtain those pokemon.

 

On 7/30/2017 at 3:01 AM, monkey11 said:

Does Rain Dance allow all electric attacks to bypass accuracy check, or just Thunder?

I forget how good it is on the first battle, but Tyrion's AI on the second battle (after Shadows caught) is pretty bad. I know this might be impossible to improve. He has opportunities to use super effective moves and instead uses less effective moves.

Just Thunder.

Yeah, the AI just isn't very good. I think it's supposed to usually choose SE but occasionally mix it up to be less predictable. Depending on the RNG it sometimes mixes it up too much though.

11 hours ago, MightyandRay said:

I gave my Golbat 20 Vivid Scents, and yet it still doesn't like me very much. Happiness seems to be broken for Golbat, because my other Pokemon get more friendship over time, but not my Golbat, which sucks because it evolves by friendship.

For the longest time I though colognes increased happiness and they have been documented online to do so. I only discovered a few weeks ago when looking through the data that they actually do not have any effect on the happiness of a pokemon. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, you might want to refactor the patch to work with self-dumped ISOs. Emuparadise no longer has any Pokemon games, so finding the correct ISO for the patch is going to be a massive pain.

Alternatively, provide instructions for decompiling the ISO and copying files over, then rebuilding: I think Dolphin has a native support for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I just found about this ROM hack and im wondering, can we catch all the Gen 1-3 + 2 gen 4 mons in this hack? I been looking for a Pokemon GCN ROM hack that allows you to do that plus the physical/special split

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having an issue with patching the iso. I'm using a clean iso, I made sure of that through Dolphin. It boots, it doesn't crash the emulator and I can save no problem. When i try patching it, with NUPS by the way, it insist that "This patch doesn't match the file. Patching canceled.". Any idea on what I can do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, Darquezze306 said:

Hey, I just found about this ROM hack and im wondering, can we catch all the Gen 1-3 + 2 gen 4 mons in this hack? I been looking for a Pokemon GCN ROM hack that allows you to do that plus the physical/special split

 

No, this hack has close to all, but not all of them. In addition to Munchlax being unavailable, I have a list of Pokemon line unobtainable within XG. If you want a GCN hack that does this, you can wait for StarsMmd's Hacking tools, and either make it yourself, or wait for someone else to make said hack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing this recently and been enjoying myself so far. I would like to ask if you would consider releasing a version of the hack where the names and dialouge of people remain how they were in the original release. Of course with exception with some areas where npcs will name one of their pokemon in dialogue before battle. Thanks and looking forward to future updates/fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cocytus said:

Been playing this recently and been enjoying myself so far. I would like to ask if you would consider releasing a version of the hack where the names and dialouge of people remain how they were in the original release. Of course with exception with some areas where npcs will name one of their pokemon in dialogue before battle. Thanks and looking forward to future updates/fixes.

 

Let me guess, Lovrina's new tendency of using # a lot somewhat bothered you like it did to me. The name changes don't really bother me, though I've been playing XD for so long that I can't let go of the big names; Krane, Lovrina, Snattle, Gonzap, Gorigan, Ardos, Eldes, Greevil, and even a few minor ones like Naps, Tecot, Zook, Exol and Smarton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Matiri said:

 

Let me guess, Lovrina's new tendency of using # a lot somewhat bothered you like it did to me. The name changes don't really bother me, though I've been playing XD for so long that I can't let go of the big names; Krane, Lovrina, Snattle, Gonzap, Gorigan, Ardos, Eldes, Greevil, and even a few minor ones like Naps, Tecot, Zook, Exol and Smarton. 

Yeah It hurt when I got there. It's also more of a why change what isn't needed in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just started a new game using version 1.04, and during the second turn of the tutorial battle with the metagross and gardevoir, the game crashes. Is anyone else experiencing this? Or can it be fixed by using different dolphin configs?

I'm using dolphin version 5.0-5075 (the latest dev build). More specifically about the game crashing, as soon as I hit the "A" button to choose my second move, no matter what it is, the game locks up and eventually says that an unhandled exception happened.

I patched the game using NUPS, and patched an extracted rar archive located in my desktop. I tested the vanilla game and that runs perfectly, but the hack doesn't and always locks up on second move select. Also happens as soon as VS mode one player is chosen. 

Edited by gs82139

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2017 at 5:14 AM, gs82139 said:

I just started a new game using version 1.04, and during the second turn of the tutorial battle with the metagross and gardevoir, the game crashes. Is anyone else experiencing this? Or can it be fixed by using different dolphin configs?

I'm using dolphin version 5.0-5075 (the latest dev build). More specifically about the game crashing, as soon as I hit the "A" button to choose my second move, no matter what it is, the game locks up and eventually says that an unhandled exception happened.

I patched the game using NUPS, and patched an extracted rar archive located in my desktop. I tested the vanilla game and that runs perfectly, but the hack doesn't and always locks up on second move select. Also happens as soon as VS mode one player is chosen. 

 

The game crashes and gives me a ton of memory errors when I go into Versus mode, but maybe that's because this game wasn't built to do versus mode? Not a big priority for me. I didn't experience the turn-2 lockup problem, though. Maybe you should use the most recent stable Dolphin build instead? That's what I'm using, and it's the only difference I can figure out between the two of us.

 

 

Additionally, I came across this hack randomly after finding Paper Mario: Pro Mode. I thought to myself, "Wow! Mods for old Nintendo games are awesome!" Followed by, later on, "I wish Pokemon XD had current-gen physical-special split mechanics. It's the only thing keeping me from playing it again." And then this happens! What an awesome mod! How lucky of me to catch it with all the features already added--from what I understand from your posts, all you have now are minor bug fixes to work on?

 

Very clever renaming Eagun. I mean, we were all thinking it, after all...

 

EDIT: Also, I don't think I saw this anywhere in the changelog, but did you do anything to update the Exp Share item, or is that beyond the scope of the game's engine? It's definitely OP to make it behave as it does in current gens (Participating pokemon get full exp, all others get half) but what if the exp share was split evenly instead, or something similar? For example, if you turn the Share item "on," like a key item, or if you give it to any pokemon on the team, it simply distributes the experience evenly (1/4 to the two participating pokemon, 1/8 to the remaining four?)

 

Now that I think about it, this sounds pretty complex if you want to keep the amount of experience gained overall the same for balancing...

Edited by Hecto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one thing i really really want in this game that would make it perfect, that would be the option to play as a female protagonist, idk if it's possible but i would really appreciate if someone could do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ZoeyQuick said:

There's one thing i really really want in this game that would make it perfect, that would be the option to play as a female protagonist, idk if it's possible but i would really appreciate if someone could do it

 

From what I understand, changing models / textures that aren't already in the game is beyond the scope of this mod. Especially for a protagonist, who has many extra animations, let alone cutscenes. This mod's main attraction is the change in gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some things I'd like to report on when it comes to the bugs

When you have a Pokémon with an ability like speed boost, if they get intimidated, both Pokémon have the buffed up stat graphic instead. 

Some Pokémon can't learn moves they should either have learned that generation or in future generations. Metang can't learn Ice Punch, but there is one in the Battle Square in Pyrite Town that has it.

The Pokémon Silvia/Lovrina have will appear in the Battle Memo as their nicknames if you encounter them there first.

Some complaints

I'm sure you've gotten this quite a lot but I don't like the fact that some character names changed, as well as the writing for Lovrina/Silvia.

The TM and move tutor selection seem a little weak.

Why have Graveler as a Pokémon you can catch when the other 3 Trade Evo Kanto Pokémon are shadows?

Final words
It's a great hack, and I can't wait for the Battle Sims to be fixed. I'd love to help on that front if you need any ideas or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now