Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

I just want to bring up that when you fight Chobin before the Robo-Groudon fight, his Magneton knows Flash Cannon while, according to the docs anyway, Magneton is not capable of learning Flash Cannon at all. This upsets me as I am currently using Magneton and want to have Flash Cannon on it.

My shadow list is broken. It shows Pokemon that aren't in the documentation given like the Vulpix, Golbat and Magmar shown and also it shows I've caught Pokemon I don't have like the Celebi was actually a Steelix. I did start the save in the 0.97 version and it wasn't until I got to the boss in Phenic that I realised there was an update being 1.2.1-3 so that might be why it's broken. As for the all the Torchic's, I have no idea what the reason for that is. My guess is because of the increased amount of shadow Pokemon available.

broken shadow list.png

8 hours ago, Wernty said:

My shadow list is broken. It shows Pokemon that aren't in the documentation given like the Vulpix, Golbat and Magmar shown and also it shows I've caught Pokemon I don't have like the Celebi was actually a Steelix. I did start the save in the 0.97 version and it wasn't until I got to the boss in Phenic that I realised there was an update being 1.2.1-3 so that might be why it's broken. As for the all the Torchic's, I have no idea what the reason for that is. My guess is because of the increased amount of shadow Pokemon available.

Releases are not backwards compatible unless otherwise stated (even then only with one or two directly before)

I havent played this rom hack in like 8 months and i decided to pick it up again recently and I LOVE the recent quality of life changes and bug fixes. Makes the game feel much smoother and more fun to play. The recent playthrough reminded me at just how well made this game was made. Now im curious and what changes you plan to make next. Whatever changes you make Stars im sure its gonna be amazing.

Hey i have a question for you @StarsMmd or anyone who can answer. I know that if i save after a pokespot alert pops up it doesnt  change the pokemon that will appear but it will change the level and the nature. So can i shiny hunt by resetting like i can for nature or is it locked like the actual pokemon that appears??

Update: Well i did some research and in the base game apparently after the pokespot alert goes off the shiny value of the pokemon is locked so im guessing thats what happens in XG as well. I just wasted hours trying to soft reset for a shiny jumpluff lmaoo

Edited by Jayrod

Hey man, just wanted to chime in and say that I've absolutely been in love with what you've done with this hack! I've had the absolutely best time revisiting a childhood favourite of mine and going through all of the updated mechanics and whatnot, especially having access to fairy types, more catchable shadow pokemon, new moves and abilities, etc. Just wanted to let you know how deeply I (and surely everyone else here) appreciate all the hard work and time you've devoted into putting this beast together, and absolutely can't wait for your future updates. I just had a couple burning questions that I wanted to run by you.

So... I know that you've answered this before with the next gen pokemon being worked on by another person, which I don't expect to be ready soon (but am super hyped about :D)), but I was just curious if it was going to only be possible to add gen 4 pokemon, or if there's any way for further gens to be added down the line? I remember you mentioning in a different comment thread that you'd really enjoy updating the sprites of the current guys, so I was wondering if there'd be a way for this to be done. If it's impossible, that's cool - the chance to take on a shadow Dialga or Giratina would make me giddy enough as it is!

Do you think there'd be any way to include Wes from Colosseum into the game as like a secret, postgame boss character kind of deal? I read somewhere that the developers had been thinking about making him the villain in the sequel, but even getting the chance to battle the guy in some form would be really interesting, I think - sort of like fighting Red in HG/SS. If this has been asked already, I apologize.

Anyways, thanks again man! You've made XD feel fresh again!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

I'd love to play this on actual hardware, specifically my Wii. Is there a way to launch this through USB Loader GX/Nintendont?

edit: wound up answering my own question. Turns out, yea it can be launched through USB Loader with Nintendont

Edited by The Majestic Mr L

On 10/5/2019 at 1:50 PM, The Majestic Mr L said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

I'd love to play this on actual hardware, specifically my Wii. Is there a way to launch this through USB Loader GX/Nintendont?

edit: wound up answering my own question. Turns out, yea it can be launched through USB Loader with Nintendont

Do you know if it's possible to launch off an SD card via Nintendont too? My computer's way too slow to work with Dolphin so this would be my only way of playing.

Hi, I've been playing this awesome hack but i've run into a very odd problem i can't seem to find a solution to. I just beat the purple haired hashtag girl in the lab with the color peons last night and saved my game. Upon loading in today the game is entirely broken. Every trainer has no pokemon. It goes about the battle as usual but when the trainer goes to throw out their pokemon, it just skips the names and the battle ends after the first turn, with them admitting defeat and giving me 0 poke dollars. I've tried deleting and making a freshly patched rom and fighting all kinds of different trainers, but nothing seems to fix the problem. here is my save file if anyone is curious/maybe wants to help... any help would be greatly appreciated!

01-GXXE-PokemonXD.gci

• 2 weeks later...

Henlo, I would first like to say that the hack is really nice to go through and it's a blast to play, great work done out there.

I ran into an issue today using the latest version...I have 1-5 free slots in my party and Toby won't give me Togepi while saying that I do not have a free slot in my party, which is not true.

Is that intended or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

Edit : Disabled cheats temporarily and he gave it to me...I feel dumb now, please excuse my dumbness for today...

Edited by speedbutt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Is there a list of the movelist changes / the shadow moves that were created for the game?

EDIT: I see it's in the documentation, thank you! I didn't realize the extent of the changes to movesets so I will definitely be keeping an eye on these docs as I play. Thanks and great work!

Edited by futuresushi
found my answer

Great hack so far! I've run into a couple potential bugs in Realgam Tower (specifically in regards to Battle Bingo): After clearing the Immunity Board (Normal tier, the Sableye one), the person congratulated me on clearing it for the first time but they gave me "???"... The same thing happened for the Bug Board (the butterfree one in that same tier). The Edgy Board (alakazam) and all the novice-tier boards gave me items though.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, DeoxysInSpace said:

None of the UPS patchers have been working for me. I'm using a scrubbed ISO. Is that the problem? The NUPS patcher just freezes and gives me a message about an exception error while giving me the option to continue or either quit.

Uhh, the OP says to use a clean ISO, which implies NOT trimmed or scrubbed. It also needs to be a Redump database legit ISO. NUPS will only allow using the patch on that version.

Edited by Marcusc04

And to expand further upon the post by Marcusc04 .

The size of the ISO MUST be 1.36 GB in size, and it must also be from the USA version of the game. If you have a physical copy of the game like I do, you can use the "CFGLoader" Homebrew to dump it to your preferred storage media attached to your Wii.

• 2 weeks later...

StarsMmd, you are a genius. Your work on XG, modding to that extent one of the lesser known Pokémon games, with no romhacking scene to help you, is awe-inducing.

The Gamecube games are criminally underrated, yet the Pokémon there look better than any mainline series ever, and the world is so much more interesting.

I am curious about what can be done at the moment in this romhack.
-Orre is supposed to be a land so lacking in Pokémon, that the majority of them are imported and sold. Could you turn shops into Pokémon shops where you can buy Pokémon, similar to the Celadon Game Corner?
-Is it possible to import move animations from Colosseum to XD? Not only Colosseum's moves are less cutesy-sparkly and more intense (compare Shadow Rush, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Psychic, etc), but it would also increase your total number of available animations (for example, have Flamethrower use the Colosseum animation and use the XD animation for, say, Lava Plume)
-Would it be reasonable to mod in a barebones breeding system? As in, say, you can put two 'mons in the daycare, and once you exit and re-enter there is a chance to get an already hatched baby.
-In that same line of thought, can the PC be expanded to have more available boxes?

Aside from that, I would love to know if you have considered those two things:
-Releasing a Windows version of the Editors for Colosseum and XD, to kickstart the romhacking scene for these two games and ultimately drawing attention to your own.
-Creating or joining the Pokémon disassembly discord server; I'm sure they would be delighted to add a section for disassembling the Gamecube games, and their help would be very useful.

Anyway, best of luck. I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Hi StarsMmd.

Just made an account and wanted to say what a great job you've done on the gamecube pokemon games.

I used your Pokemon Colosseum randomizer tool and had a blast doing a nuzlocke on that game.

I love this ROM hack and was just wondering what your thoughts were on porting over Galarian or other Alolan mons into the game.

Obviously you already have Alolan Marowak but it might be nice to include other variants such as Alolan Raichu or Galarian Ponyta.

Also hope everything is going well elsewhere and this isnt taking over your life!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, ShadowOfSilver said:

Do you know if it's possible to launch off an SD card via Nintendont too? My computer's way too slow to work with Dolphin so this would be my only way of playing.

So the both of you know, it absolutely does work. Just follow tutorials online about loading games from SD and then use your patched XD file. Loads perfectly from Nintendont and I don’t even get freezing or crashes. Good luck. 

On 10/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, AdletDragneel said:

Need some help now....when i try NUPS it just says cannot open the file so i basically cant play this and i really want to

Sorry for a late reply. If you haven’t fixed the issue yet, do the following:

make sure you have a clean ISO of XD and the NUPS file of XG in the NUPS software. Then where it asks what to do if the file isn’t compatible, hit “ignore”. For some reason it’ll say that the files aren’t compatible sometimes. If you do this, it should patch with no problem. Then open the patched iso in dolphin or other respective emulator. 

• 1 month later...