Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

good work and a great game, Ive been playing for over 50 hours now, but i'm realizing there is some overlap. these are:

Shadow Bagon LV 20 is redundant with the Shadow Salamence LV 60 that you get later, and Shadow Marowak LV 36, is redundant with the Shadow Marowak again at LV 56.

also, over 30 of the wild pokemon that you put in are ones who have Shadow counterparts or are in the same evolutionary chain. i counted 31, but i may have missed some.

are these intentional overlap? I'm pretty sure the shadow pokemon overlap was accidental, but idk about the wild encounters. It's just really depressing to work at leveling up my Larvitar all the way to 50...and then just being handed a Tyranitar by the game. smh. lol

For the next update, do you think you could at least put in a note about which pokemon are catchable as shadows and which are not in the Wild Pokemon section of the documentation plz?

I've included a very patchwork modification to the list showing which wild pokemon are redundant and which are 'cleared'.

XG Obtainable Pokemon List - Copy.txt

Made an account just to post this. As someone whose favorite game of all time was Gale of Darkness, this has been a fun mix up over my usual replayings of the game (gripes about name changes aside, particularly with the Hexagon Brothers). I have noticed a pretty odd bug. I used my Breloom's Spore to put Muk to sleep, and when its turn came, it obviously was fast asleep, but Poison Touch still activated and poisoned my Breloom. I'm going to guess this is something similar to the Life Orb glitch you used to have. Also, Flame Orb and Toxic Orb seem to damage you on the turn they activate, but I'm assuming that's something you're aware of and considered too minor to fix for now. Lastly, is there any resource on the effects of (particularly held) items? It's mostly important for the original ones like the Aura Booster and then something like the Focus Sash, which is supposedly infinite use unlike the main series, but that's not in the description. Regardless, this has been a great experience, and I look forward to finishing the game (was doing Realgam Colosseum before Snagem Hideout, found the Poison Touch bug during the final series, immediately made this post).

I'm trying to play this on the android version of dolphin but it seems to crash and go back to the dolphin home screen every time I try to choose a move in battle. The normal Pokémon XD seems to work fine, any ideas? 

Edit: seems to work after disabling panic handlers with some random crashes here and there which isn't too much of an issue. Thanks for this hack, loving it! 

Edited by SlothBrah

On 11/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, SlothBrah said:

I'm trying to play this on the android version of dolphin but it seems to crash and go back to the dolphin home screen every time I try to choose a move in battle. The normal Pokémon XD seems to work fine, any ideas? 

Edit: seems to work after disabling panic handlers with some random crashes here and there which isn't too much of an issue. Thanks for this hack, loving it! 

SlothBrah, what kind of phone do you have? The game runs way too slow when I try to play it on my phone, a Pixel 2 XL.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:50 PM, Jeanpi said:

Cant place any poke snacks, pls heeeelp

Created an account just to give you this tip:

Buy poke snacks from Agate Village only! the ones from Pyrite are garbo and don't work. Figured that out late in my playthough

Edit: The version 1.1.6-2 fixes this issue.

Edit2: I just updated from 1.1.6 to 1.1.8-3 and upon KOing the first 'mon my salamence gained so much xp it went from level 51 to 56 for some odd reason. Weird.

Edited by sp00nd

On 11/8/2018 at 8:47 AM, monkey11 said:

SlothBrah, what kind of phone do you have? The game runs way too slow when I try to play it on my phone, a Pixel 2 XL.

Hey I have a pixel 3 XL, and it was slow too but I followed these settings on this video and it became quite playable.. 

Not sure if this bug has been reported or not, but I swapped my Donphan into a Volt Switch and it said that Donphan was immune, which is to be expected. However the opponent still got to switch mons. 

Edited by Protonyx

I offer the following image for inspection.  I tested the move and it does what Hammer Arm is supposed to do, but has what appears to be metronome's description.

Hammer Arm.png

Also, at the Realgam Tower in the center of the main room where you'd enter for the colosseum, the screen flickers to a stretched aspect ratio for some reason.  Not sure what's causing that.

Other than those things, everything seems really good!

PS.  When will battle bingo come back 😜

One other question, there's no gen IV pokemon in the game?  Was wondering if I'd be able to evolve the murkrow.

Edited by dontkillSif

Guest rgatton12

Hey guys.

Was wondering if anyone knew where the TM for Calm Mind is or if it's even attainable? I've lost track of my wins/rewards wins from the colosseums...

Would love it for eviolite Dusclops to run with Ice Beam/Pain Split/Shadow Ball.

14 hours ago, CobaltKite said:

So when i Heard about this hack I saw that you get a beldum as a starter with your eevee. Well when i patched and started my game i had a zigzagoon instead of a beldum. Anyone know what went wrong and how to fix? or am i just missing something?

There is no problem, it was changed in more recent versions. Maybe Stars thought that 2 easy access pseudo-legendaries before the first boss was a kinda game breaking.

9 hours ago, rgatton12 said:

Hey guys.

Was wondering if anyone knew where the TM for Calm Mind is or if it's even attainable? I've lost track of my wins/rewards wins from the colosseums...

Would love it for eviolite Dusclops to run with Ice Beam/Pain Split/Shadow Ball.

There's no Calm Mind TM in this version of the game. Dusclops can't learn the move currently.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:51 AM, dontkillSif said:

One other question, there's no gen IV pokemon in the game?  Was wondering if I'd be able to evolve the murkrow.

At the current moment no. But you can use an eviolite on Murkrow and any other pokemon that gets an evolution (not mega obviously) in later gens.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:51 AM, dontkillSif said:

You mean battle simulator? Bingo is in this game, battle simulator got removed temporarily though.

17 hours ago, CobaltKite said:

So when i Heard about this hack I saw that you get a beldum as a starter with your eevee. Well when i patched and started my game i had a zigzagoon instead of a beldum. Anyone know what went wrong and how to fix? or am i just missing something?

You can get a Metang in the cave poke spot. 

On 11/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, Matiri said:

Question: does Clefairy learn Follow Me? It hasn't as of level 38.

Follow me isn't in this version of the game. Can't add moves, can only replace them. That's the only reason I can see as to why Follow me wouldn't be in this version. Don't know the reason why it had to be one of the better doubles moves though.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:30 AM, Ebrethil said:

It's just really depressing to work at leveling up my Larvitar all the way to 50...and then just being handed a Tyranitar by the game. smh. lol

A Tyranitar that you made evolve from a Larvitar will almost always be better than a Tyranitar you just caught (only wouldn't be if you only used rare candies to level him up and the second one has a better moveset / nature or better IVs).

Edited by Emalisha

22 hours ago, gs82139 said:

Does anyone know if you can buy/obtain more than the 10 Shade Balls you're given with the master ball? Those would be really handy going into Citadark Isle.

I don't know either. Tried to check in the documentation, haven't seen it in there either.

Sorry for the late responses as usual. I was on the plane back from my travels in Nigeria and South Africa and I had a flash of inspiration. I've been working hard on Gale of Darkness tool and Colosseum tool. I've added a bunch of new features and made them a lot more stable so they won't crash so easily. I even managed to complete the script compiler and scripting language for XD. You won't believe the kinds of modifications that will be possible now (If you've used XSE to hack the GBA games, it's basically that for XD). I've also begun working on the scripting engine for Colosseum (which is completely different unfortunately) so hopefully we'll have something similar for that soon too.

The new versions of the hack tools will be uploaded soon!

Also XG v1.2.0 is on the way. Just need to test some things. Here's a list of the changes to expect:

Spoiler
  • New item: lode stone which evolves pokemon that would normally require a trade
  • New item: aura stabiliser increases accuracy of shadow moves and prevents shadow pokemon from entering reverse mode
  • Added chilan - haban type berries
  • New item: dosha berry weakens one shadow move
  • Added items wide lens, muscle band, wise glasses
  • Experience now scales based on the level difference between the recipient and KO'd pokemon as in Gens V & VII
  • Sound moves ignore substitutes
  • Chance for protect to succeed after repeat use is now 1 in 3
  • Chance for a confused pokemon to hit itself is now 1 in 3
  • Added ability super luck
  • Fixed poison touch, rocky helmet and life orb activating when move failed or pokemon had already fainted
  • Fixed u-turn/volt switch not triggering life orb/rocky helmet etc.
  • Fixed u-turn/volt switch still switching even if the move failed
  • Fixed a bug where water absorb/volt absorb/flash fire would end surf/discharge/lava plume prematurely
  • Some shadow pokemon from the key lair appear again on citadark isle if you failed to catch them the first time and haven't caught them from Miror B.
  • Items have a much greater effect on a pokemon’s happiness
  • Rescaled the purchasing power of pokecoupons
  • All mt. battle areas can be challenged as soon as mt. battle opens
  • Removed some scripted events from early in the story to speed up progression
  • The player can access the pc between rounds at the pyrite and tower colosseums
  • The agate berry master is more useful
  • Shadow pokemon gain full experience instead of 80%
On 10/6/2018 at 2:09 AM, Tyrantium said:

I've noticed something strange about Rocky Helmet. When you put a Pokemon to sleep, sometimes they take Rocky Helmet damage anyway, which I learned the hard way when trying to catch Shadows. Is it because that Pokemon targets the holder while asleep even when they don't actually attack and take damage?

This will be fixed in the next version. 🙂

On 10/6/2018 at 2:50 AM, Tyrantium said:

I think something's gone wrong with Chaser Tyler's Alakazam in Duel Square. I got way too much experience and my Salamence gained 5 and a half levels at Lv. 66 from a Lv. 60 Pokemon. I don't know if that Alakazam was bugged or if it's a greater issue, but it happened right after I updated to 1.1.8-3.

I updated some of the level up growth rates for a few species including the Bagon line. As soon as it got some experience it readjusted to the new level curve. It was a one time thing and only the result of updating mid playthrough.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:43 PM, face235 said:

I'm totally enjoying this mod so far, but I did encounter an oddity when I updated from 1.1.6 to 1.1.8-3. I was in the middle of training at Mt.Battle, and I sent out my Swellow. For some reason, it suddenly needed 12,000 Exp. to level up from Lv.23 to Lv.24. I had to use my Rare Candy on it, and it now levels up normally.

As in the previous response, I updated the level up rate for swellow so it just had to adjust to its new level curve.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, Dandra said:

Hello there!

I joined this site for the explicit purpose of saying how much I'm loving this hack you've made. Pokemon XD is one of my favorite games, and going through it again, trying to snag all the Shadow Pokemon, and forging through the increased difficulty is a lot of fun. I'm especially enjoying the different pokemon that I have at my disposal, and how it seems like each and every one of them are viable in their own way. And it just makes me excited to see what other Shadow Pokemon are in the game.

That being said, I do have a complaint or two, I'm sorry to say. This specifically goes towards the AI and their decisions of choosing a move against me. Up until the end of the Shadow Pokemon lab, I felt like the AI did employ strategies and moves that would keep me on my toes, but afterwards, something seemed to changed. The AI began choosing one specific move and spamming it every turn, despite whether or not it would be useful. For a specific example, the move protect has shown up on a number of Pokemon, which admittedly isn't the problem. The problem is that if they have protect, 9 times out of 10, the enemy AI chooses to spam it every turn, despite the chance of it failing every successive turn. I've had a battle in the middle of Pyrite, battle square, where both enemy pokemon chose to spam protect, and nothing else, which forced the battle to go on for ten minutes longer, with me just trying to get a hit in, as I didn't have a pokemon with Feint. And that's my main issue with this AI pattern. If they have protect, it becomes a game of chance as to whether or not Protect will fail on the next turn or not, which just wastes my time and ends up not being a very fun battling experience. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but I'd rather the AI not choose to spam one move over and over again, especially if it's a move that just negates anything I do to it.

This isn't the only time the AI has done this. In a battle during the Cipher Raid of ONBS, against the battle with a Shadow Torkoal, the AI had it use Shadow Burn repeatedly on a single pokemon, a Clefairy. Even after Clefairy was burned, it kept using it on Clefairy, not even choosing to use it's other shadow move.

Apart from that, I've been having a lot of fun raising up the Pokemon here, despite the rather harsh level curved at MT. Battle.

EDIT: I realize that I was playing version 1.0.7-4, rather than the most recent version that was released, so my 'complaints' might not even mean anything. That being said, I still am glad this is being so readily updated.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks!

Yeah, the game has changed very drastically since v1.0.7-4 so it is heavily outdated at this point. I'd recommend trying the latest version if you come back to XG in the future. I know some old versions float around on other sites but I upload to this forum so you can always check here to find the latest versions. 🙂

On 11/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, Ebrethil said:

good work and a great game, Ive been playing for over 50 hours now, but i'm realizing there is some overlap. these are:

Shadow Bagon LV 20 is redundant with the Shadow Salamence LV 60 that you get later, and Shadow Marowak LV 36, is redundant with the Shadow Marowak again at LV 56.

also, over 30 of the wild pokemon that you put in are ones who have Shadow counterparts or are in the same evolutionary chain. i counted 31, but i may have missed some.

are these intentional overlap? I'm pretty sure the shadow pokemon overlap was accidental, but idk about the wild encounters. It's just really depressing to work at leveling up my Larvitar all the way to 50...and then just being handed a Tyranitar by the game. smh. lol

For the next update, do you think you could at least put in a note about which pokemon are catchable as shadows and which are not in the Wild Pokemon section of the documentation plz?

I've included a very patchwork modification to the list showing which wild pokemon are redundant and which are 'cleared'.

XG Obtainable Pokemon List - Copy.txt

It's all intentional 🙂

I don't think there's a problem with having multiple ways to get the same pokemon since people have very different play styles. Just about every useful pokemon is obtainable and I add in any that are requested so it's not like they're taking up spaces that would have gone to other pokemon. 

If you choose to train up the pokemon from the start, by the time you catch as well as purify the ones from the end of the game the original one will be a whole lot stronger. The late game ones often come with exclusive moves that they can't normally learn while the original ones often have a few moves that can only be learned before they evolve meaning the late game ones won't get them even if you visit the move relearner. This gives them a little bit of variation.

By citadark isle since most people have already cemented their team so any pokemon on citadark is really just for show.  Those pokemon need to be obtainable before citadark isle otherwise nobody would ever get to use them. 

Furthermore for people who don't do the post game (in my experience most people don't) it doesn't really make a difference what the last few shadow pokemon are so might as well make them a challenge. Plus a lot of people who do stay for the post game hadn't trained those pokemon or in the case of the pokespot ones may not have even seen the pokemon. Having them available as late game shadows gives options for the post game that don't require playing around with the RNG of the pokespots or the grind to catch them up in levels.

One of the shadow marowaks is alolan so they aren't actually duplicate shadow pokemon.

I've watched a lot playthroughs of the game and this was what I felt was the best solution in order to accommodate as many different play styles and preferences as possible. I hope I explained it properly! 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:29 AM, killerASCII said:

Made an account just to post this. As someone whose favorite game of all time was Gale of Darkness, this has been a fun mix up over my usual replayings of the game (gripes about name changes aside, particularly with the Hexagon Brothers). I have noticed a pretty odd bug. I used my Breloom's Spore to put Muk to sleep, and when its turn came, it obviously was fast asleep, but Poison Touch still activated and poisoned my Breloom. I'm going to guess this is something similar to the Life Orb glitch you used to have. Also, Flame Orb and Toxic Orb seem to damage you on the turn they activate, but I'm assuming that's something you're aware of and considered too minor to fix for now. Lastly, is there any resource on the effects of (particularly held) items? It's mostly important for the original ones like the Aura Booster and then something like the Focus Sash, which is supposedly infinite use unlike the main series, but that's not in the description. Regardless, this has been a great experience, and I look forward to finishing the game (was doing Realgam Colosseum before Snagem Hideout, found the Poison Touch bug during the final series, immediately made this post).

I have now fixed the bug with poison touch activating even when the pokemon is asleep for the next update. I didn't actually consider that the flame orb and toxic orb don't damage the holder on the turn they activate so thank you for informing me. I've added it to my todo list.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:51 PM, sp00nd said:

Created an account just to give you this tip:

Buy poke snacks from Agate Village only! the ones from Pyrite are garbo and don't work. Figured that out late in my playthough

Edit: The version 1.1.6-2 fixes this issue.

Edit2: I just updated from 1.1.6 to 1.1.8-3 and upon KOing the first 'mon my salamence gained so much xp it went from level 51 to 56 for some odd reason. Weird.

As mentioned in one of the earlier replies this is simply due to Salamence's experience growth rate being updated in the new version. It's a one time thing the first time it gains experience as it adjusts to the new level curve.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:49 AM, Protonyx said:

Not sure if this bug has been reported or not, but I swapped my Donphan into a Volt Switch and it said that Donphan was immune, which is to be expected. However the opponent still got to switch mons. 

This has been fixed in the upcoming update 🙂

On 11/14/2018 at 10:50 PM, Matiri said:

Question: does Clefairy learn Follow Me? It hasn't as of level 38.

I had to make a very difficult choice between keeping follow me and implementing wide guard use follow me's code as the basis. I chose wide guard as it gave an important counter play option against spread moves, especially the broken shadow ones that I would have had to make really weak instead. I have strategised a method to program follow me back in from scratch though so it will come back in a future update!

On 11/21/2018 at 5:51 AM, dontkillSif said:

I offer the following image for inspection.  I tested the move and it does what Hammer Arm is supposed to do, but has what appears to be metronome's description.

Hammer Arm.png

Also, at the Realgam Tower in the center of the main room where you'd enter for the colosseum, the screen flickers to a stretched aspect ratio for some reason.  Not sure what's causing that.

Other than those things, everything seems really good!

Thanks for letting me know. This has been fixed for the upcoming update.

You've been around for a while so you've probably seen me say this a lot but it's coming soon 😳. It's just a lot of work figuring how to make the puzzles interesting and not too obvious. Also requires a lot of testing and fine tuning to make sure everything plays out as expected. It doesn't help that I keep changing the game mechanics hahaha.

No gen IV pokemon yet but maybe by this next year? More powerful people than I are working hard on the model and animations side of things. 

On 11/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, CobaltKite said:

I found zigzagoon was a better fit for the start of the game based on a lot of footage I saw. 🙂

On 11/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, Emalisha said:

There's no Calm Mind TM in this version of the game. Dusclops can't learn the move currently.

At the current moment no. But you can use an eviolite on Murkrow and any other pokemon that gets an evolution (not mega obviously) in later gens.

You mean battle simulator? Bingo is in this game, battle simulator got removed temporarily though.

You can get a Metang in the cave poke spot. 

Follow me isn't in this version of the game. Can't add moves, can only replace them. That's the only reason I can see as to why Follow me wouldn't be in this version. Don't know the reason why it had to be one of the better doubles moves though.

A Tyranitar that you made evolve from a Larvitar will almost always be better than a Tyranitar you just caught (only wouldn't be if you only used rare candies to level him up and the second one has a better moveset / nature or better IVs).

Thanks for filling in for me while I was gone! Also, I really enjoyed your youtube playthrough of XG. Was sad to see it finish 😭

On 11/22/2018 at 4:43 PM, gs82139 said:

Does anyone know if you can buy/obtain more than the 10 Shade Balls you're given with the master ball? Those would be really handy going into Citadark Isle.

There are a limited number because they're very OP 🙂

Edited by StarsMmd

I've got a new bug to report. Shadow Cacturne used Shadow Fear on its own ally, Sharpedo. For context, I had Mawile and Weezing out, and it had used Shadow Hunter on my Mawile the previous turn, the first turn it was out. I wish I could come up with a single reason for this AI behavior, but this needs looking into.

Is it intended that not all of my Pokemon can be burned at once? I was facing that trainer that Vander told me to battle (the one with the Sableye that knows Will-o-Wisp), and all my Pokemon except Poochyena were burned. It said that Poochyena wasn't affected when Sableye used Will-o-Wisp on Poochyena.

10 minutes ago, Marcusc04 said:

Is it intended that not all of my Pokemon can be burned at once? I was facing that trainer that Vander told me to battle (the one with the Sableye that knows Will-o-Wisp), and all my Pokemon except Poochyena were burned. It said that Poochyena wasn't affected when Sableye used Will-o-Wisp on Poochyena.

That would be Dark types innate immunity to Prankster-boosted Priority status moves in effect.

Edited by PinkOnion

This may have been asked before but what are the three pokemon Duking wants you to give him again?  He won't tell me what they are because I apparently have one of them in the pc and just tells me to switch it out to my party... I gave him Chansey and remember Dratini being one he wanted but what was the third again?

7 hours ago, dontkillSif said:

This may have been asked before but what are the three pokemon Duking wants you to give him again?  He won't tell me what they are because I apparently have one of them in the pc and just tells me to switch it out to my party... I gave him Chansey and remember Dratini being one he wanted but what was the third again?

I'm pretty sure it's Aerodactyl.

And correct, Dratini is one too.

Hello,

I just found this and was trying to patch my .iso of the game with the .ups i downloaded using NUPS but i keep getting an error saying "the patch doesn't match the file, patching canceled". How do I solve this? I'm really looking forward to being able to use this, Thanks for any help!