Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

19 hours ago, Tyrantium said:

Why can't Dusclops learn the TM for Earthquake?

I did all the movesets from scratch and didn't reference the canon movesets because it would have taken far too long. I'll add it in the next update.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:19 AM, Jayrod said:

Thank you for the help!

Pokemon XG v1.16-2 Jayrod suicune fix.ups

Here's your patch. Apply it to a clean ISO and you should be able to continue playing as normal. I haven't been able to test it so let me know if it works. You'll still only have one chance at suicune so good luck ?

17 hours ago, NotNiceHotIce said:

@StarsMmd I recently beat the game and decided to face Greevil a second time to get those shadow pokemon I missed. I started the battle with him and he had no pokemon. Is this intended? If so, where can I find the shadow pokemon I did not obtain from him? 

Which version are you playing on? This was an issue a while back was fixed in a later update.

So i just recently found this, and have a few questions regarding certain encounters. Did I miss the Shadow Pikachu encounter? Also, how does one go about enabling the Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ray, Gdon, and Kyogre events? I love the hack, thanks again. PS: I've already caught every shadow pokemon bar pikachu, absol, ho-oh and togetic.

22 minutes ago, InsaneGlitch said:

So i just recently found this, and have a few questions regarding certain encounters. Did I miss the Shadow Pikachu encounter? Also, how does one go about enabling the Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ray, Gdon, and Kyogre events? I love the hack, thanks again. PS: I've already caught every shadow pokemon bar pikachu, absol, ho-oh and togetic.

The shadow pikachu shouldn't be possible to miss. It was right at the beginning of the game in the Cipher Lab. If you check your shadow monitor in the PDA menu does it show as seen? I assume you knocked it out and will need to get it from Miror B. 

@StarsMmd The patch worked! Thank you so much for your help. With suicune caught I have caught all pokemon possible in the game including wild and shadow. Now i just need to finish the Orre Colloseum but the sixth challenge is causing me some issues tbh. But thank you again I really appreciate the patch. But unfortunately I just found out that the update changed my Zapdos' ability from drizzle to static, he was my plan to defeat the Orre Colloseum :(. But its ok though, now that you have enabled to see shadow pokemons nature before you open their heart I plan on starting over anyway and making a whole new team. You keep updating the game to make it better and it always makes me want to start a new game to experience it. Thanks for all the hard work keep it up!!

Edited by Jayrod

17 hours ago, StarsMmd said:

The shadow pikachu shouldn't be possible to miss. It was right at the beginning of the game in the Cipher Lab. If you check your shadow monitor in the PDA menu does it show as seen? I assume you knocked it out and will need to get it from Miror B. 

I had messed up the patch at first is why I missed it. Thank you. How does one trigger the legendary events? If you don't mind me asking.

Edit: It says "Downloaded from the Drive" on Shadow Pikachu. Does that mean its never going to pop up? I've sat in game for about 6 hours now trying to get Mirror B to pop up. 

Edited by InsaneGlitch

14 hours ago, NotNiceHotIce said:

@StarsMmd I'm playing on 1.0.7-2

Try this patch and let me know how it goes. Apply to it to a clean ISO.

Pokemon XG v1.0.7-4.zip

12 hours ago, Jayrod said:

@StarsMmd The patch worked! Thank you so much for your help. With suicune caught I have caught all pokemon possible in the game including wild and shadow. Now i just need to finish the Orre Colloseum but the sixth challenge is causing me some issues tbh. But thank you again I really appreciate the patch. But unfortunately I just found out that the update changed my Zapdos' ability from drizzle to static, he was my plan to defeat the Orre Colloseum :(. But its ok though, now that you have enabled to see shadow pokemons nature before you open their heart I plan on starting over anyway and making a whole new team. You keep updating the game to make it better and it always makes me want to start a new game to experience it. Thanks for all the hard work keep it up!!

I'm glad it worked! If you'd like to finish off your run you could always switch back to the previous version you were using now that you've got suicune. ?

11 hours ago, InsaneGlitch said:

I had messed up the patch at first is why I missed it. Thank you. How does one trigger the legendary events? If you don't mind me asking.

Edit: It says "Downloaded from the Drive" on Shadow Pikachu. Does that mean its never going to pop up? I've sat in game for about 6 hours now trying to get Mirror B to pop up. 

Ah, I see. It doesn't sound like you'll be able to catch it then. If you tell which version you're playing on I can help you reset the flag for shadow pikachu's trainer, allowing you to battle her again. It looks like for whatever reason you didn't actually encounter it in the first place. This time you should be able to catch it and even if you knock it out it should go to Miror B. as normal.

The legendaries are triggered at certain points in the story. There is usually some dialogue to inform you when they are available. The legendary beasts are available once you beat Gorigan at the Cipher key lair. The weather trio are available after you beat Greevil. 

11 minutes ago, StarsMmd said:

Ah, I see. It doesn't sound like you'll be able to catch it then. If you tell which version you're playing on I can help you reset the flag for shadow pikachu's trainer, allowing you to battle her again. It looks like for whatever reason you didn't actually encounter it in the first place. This time you should be able to catch it and even if you knock it out it should go to Miror B. as normal.

The legendaries are triggered at certain points in the story. There is usually some dialogue to inform you when they are available. The legendary beasts are available once you beat Gorigan at the Cipher key lair. The weather trio are available after you beat Greevil. 

Ah ok. I'm playing on version 1.1.6-2. Also, thank you for the info on the legends.

Hello again and I cannot stress how much fun this romhack is! It's been taking up a lot of my free time lately and I have no regrets :)

I ran into a potential issue recently involving Surf and a teammate with Water Absorb. When I used Surf, the first thing that happened was that Lapras's ability triggered and it got some health back - then the attack was totally finished. The enemy team wasn't hit by Surf at all. I'm posting to see if this is a bug with the romhack or legitimate Pokemon XD behavior.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:02 PM, InsaneGlitch said:

Ah ok. I'm playing on version 1.1.6-2. Also, thank you for the info on the legends.

Here you go: Pokemon XG Etrian.ups

This patch should allow you to catch shadow pikachu finally. I got a bit lazy so I gave it to the super trainer outside the pokemon hq lab. You can just battle him again until you get it. 

Apply the patch to a clean ISO.

12 hours ago, EtrianThotyssey said:

Hello again and I cannot stress how much fun this romhack is! It's been taking up a lot of my free time lately and I have no regrets :)

I ran into a potential issue recently involving Surf and a teammate with Water Absorb. When I used Surf, the first thing that happened was that Lapras's ability triggered and it got some health back - then the attack was totally finished. The enemy team wasn't hit by Surf at all. I'm posting to see if this is a bug with the romhack or legitimate Pokemon XD behavior.

I'm really happy to hear that ?

Yes, it is a bug of which I am aware. I made surf work like earthquake so it hits your ally as well, which it doesn't normally do in gen III. However, water absorb and volt absorb aren't programmed to take earthquake's effect into account since it doesn't need to in the vanilla games.

Storm drain and lightning rod initially had the same issue when I added them but I managed to fix it. I can do the exact same process for water/volt absorb but it's been a lower priority than some other stuff (mainly because it's tedious and only one or two people had even noticed the bug anyway).

I'll have it fixed soon though!

On 9/5/2018 at 1:00 PM, StarsMmd said:

Can't you continue playing by turning off the function? If not, you could try the Pokemon XD save editor by @Tux. I think you may be able to use it to change your location to somewhere that works.

I tried this but there's no utility in the save editor that allows me to modify my coordinates/location:( Is it possible for you to quickly modify it to bring me back somewhere normal again?:x

Edit: Attempted to see if i could use dolphin's cheat search tool to find the addresses for the mc's xyz coordinates but i realized i don't know what to look for cause i don't even know the current values@_@

Edited by sparkswordkirby

18 hours ago, sparkswordkirby said:

I tried this but there's no utility in the save editor that allows me to modify my coordinates/location:( Is it possible for you to quickly modify it to bring me back somewhere normal again?:x

Edit: Attempted to see if i could use dolphin's cheat search tool to find the addresses for the mc's xyz coordinates but i realized i don't know what to look for cause i don't even know the current values@_@

I believe I've figured out a method of calculating the coordinates but it's not so simple and the address moves around. If you send me your dolphin memory card file I'll see if I can sort it out for you. ?

On 9/22/2018 at 1:41 PM, StarsMmd said:

Here you go: Pokemon XG Etrian.ups

This patch should allow you to catch shadow pikachu finally. I got a bit lazy so I gave it to the super trainer outside the pokemon hq lab. You can just battle him again until you get it. 

Apply the patch to a clean ISO.

I'm going to give it a try now. I'll update this when I see what happens.

UPDATE: It worked great! Thanks for the fix!

Edited by InsaneGlitch

Hey !

First of all, thanks a lot ! As a huge XD fan, I absolutely love this hack. It's everything I wanted to have on the switch as a sequel for this awesome game.

Anyway, any chance to get the move "Strenght Sap" at one point?

Oddish, Bellsprout and Hoppip can learn it through breeding in USUM and I'd love to have it on my Vileplume in this game !

And once again, thanks a lot, the hack is really awesome.

I was going to ask, are there any plans on adding mewtwo to the game? Since it's the only legendary not available in this hack. Also, I was wondering if there was a way you can develop like a hardcore mode for people who would like to do a challenge run, shadowlocke, etc? I think that would be amazing, with a steeper level curve and possibly harder battles? I love the hack, I'm so glad you took the time to make something as amazing as this. You have my vote for years top rom hack!

On a side note, is there a way to edit the ups file for the hack? Because I was wanting to go in and change a few things to my liking as to make it harder for myself.

Edited by InsaneGlitch

I just relaunched the game for the first time in a couple months, continuing from where I left off in the Cypher Base.. But I think my Charizard has changed? When I first obtained it (level 43 encase there is a second one later on) I could have sworn it had Drought, but now it's ability is Tough Claws? I get Tough Claw's is the ability of it's X form, but I've always loved Y and was super hyped for my Drought Zard bringing devastation. Does the Charizard always have Tough Claws? Every other one I've encountered from Trainers has Drought 

Very glad that an Ability Capsule will be released in a future update. This is a godsend; every time I edit a pokemon's state on that Gamecube Save Editor, it ALWAYS changes the special ability, even if I'm not touching that pokemon at all. This is a reason why I couldn't use many of the pokemon since their abilities constantly change.

How will we obtain the Capsule? Can it be purchased from a store? Can we use it as many times as we want?

Edited by Michael Morningstar

Hey @StarsMmd, been playing through the game again on v1.6.1-2 and ive noticed a few odd things that i didnt see you mention on the upcoming v 1.8. First is im using a life orb on a pokemon and say i use a attacking move but i get flinched (like from fake out) i still take life orb damage. Also I know you said you fixed the poke snacks from pyrite town but the poke snacks i bought from there and also from phenac city dont work. When i sort the bag it seems like the game is reading them as a different item because it puts them near the top of the bag instead of the bottom. Also when i go to a poke spot it says i dont have any in my bag. And last thing i noticed is a very minor thing but after i get the snag machine from team snagem and i catch the shadow absol form mirror B, every time i try to reset to get a different ability/nature, the absol always has a impish nature. I resetted like 10 times but it was always impish. Again its not a huge deal but its just something i noticed. I know you work really hard on this game to fix all the minor things and i really appreciate what you do, i havent had this much fun playing pokemon in a looooong time. I cant wait for the next update to come out. 

Oh I actually have a quick question. I knew in later generations kings rock doesnt stack with moves that have flinch chance so is that also true in this game since its based on later generation games? Or can i use kings rock with moves like crunch and iron head to increase the chance of flinch? Thanks again for all the help and all the hard work you do. 

Sorry for the late response. I've recently traveled so I'll be in Nigeria for a bit and then heading to South Africa for a little while.

I have completed Pokemon XG v1.1.8 and it is now available for download! Here's what's new:

Spoiler

v1.1.8
Bug Fixes

• Fixed battles not ending immediately after defeating last pokemon
  • Fixed sitrus berry not working outside of battle
  • Fixed herbal medicines not working
  • U-turn and volt switch no longer switch if the move was protected against (still not perfect)
  • Fixed trick room ending message happening twice
  • Updated descriptions and images of battle bingo cards
  • Fixed a bug that caused some spread moves to fail when they had 1 pp remaining
  • Better hit boxes for overworld legendary encounters
  • Snow warning uses the proper animation for hail
  • Fixed a bug where the move foul play crashed the game on the Nintendon’t emulator
  • Pokemon no longer take life orb recoil damage after they flinch
  • Fixed some animation issues after abilities activate

Quality of Life Changes

• Two NPCs in the Cipher Key Lair give PC access and one for healing
  • Decreased mt. battle levels for easier training
  • Starter pokemon can be female
  • Added item ability capsule
  • Hail/sandstorm/shadow sky residual damage animations are skipped
  •  

Updated Mechanics

• Electric types can’t be paralysed
  • Spore/powder moves don’t affect grass types
  • Prankster moves don’t affect dark types
  • Ghost types can’t be trapped
  • Toxic doesn’t miss when used by poison types
  • Gen 7 critical hit ratios (base critical rate is 1/24 ~4%)
  • Moves that target both foes (e.g. blizzard) have their power reduced by 25% (normally 50% in gen 3)
  • Moves that target all other pokemon (e.g. earthquake) have their power reduced by 25% (normally no reduction in gen 3)
  • The following moves thaw the user if frozen: flame wheel, flare blitz, sacred fire, scald, shadow tribute, shadow blaze
  • Added abilities defiant, competitive, sniper, unaware, poison touch and poison heal
  • Added held items toxic orb and flame orb
  • Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav and Iapapa berries work as they do in gen VII
  • Berries activate after each move rather than at the end of the turn
  • The ability justified gives a +2 attack boost when hit by shadow moves

I spent some time testing things out on this version but I didn't have the space to bring my wii u with me so I didn't make it to the end of the game. I have fixed the few bugs that I encountered so it should be pretty stable. My focus was making the game more stable and polished as well as really making it feel like gen VII mechanics.

V1.1.8 is compatible with save files from v1.1.6 but there will be some inconsistencies like some pokemon changing abilities or some shadow pokemon having different shadow moves. However, for the best experience start a new save file ?

On 9/23/2018 at 11:13 PM, Xeno1023 said:

so i just patched a normal rom of xd to XG and instead of a beldum in my party i got a zizagoon?

I replaced the beldum with zigzagoon in a recent update. It's a better utility mon in the early game and from watching a lot of playthroughs of XG I felt beldum ended up being dead weight, especially with how slow the start of XD's story is. It was either boxed immediately or became an extra pokemon to balance exp around really early on. I added metang at the pokespots so it's still obtainable pretty early on.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, Emalisha said:

Hey !

First of all, thanks a lot ! As a huge XD fan, I absolutely love this hack. It's everything I wanted to have on the switch as a sequel for this awesome game.

Anyway, any chance to get the move "Strenght Sap" at one point?

Oddish, Bellsprout and Hoppip can learn it through breeding in USUM and I'd love to have it on my Vileplume in this game !

And once again, thanks a lot, the hack is really awesome.

I appreciate the kind words. ?

I've added it my to-do list for the next update but IRL commitments mean I don't quite have the time atm.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, InsaneGlitch said:

I was going to ask, are there any plans on adding mewtwo to the game? Since it's the only legendary not available in this hack. Also, I was wondering if there was a way you can develop like a hardcore mode for people who would like to do a challenge run, shadowlocke, etc? I think that would be amazing, with a steeper level curve and possibly harder battles? I love the hack, I'm so glad you took the time to make something as amazing as this. You have my vote for years top rom hack!

On a side note, is there a way to edit the ups file for the hack? Because I was wanting to go in and change a few things to my liking as to make it harder for myself.

I have a whole big Mewtwo post-game quest in mind. The post-game for XD needs more content and Mewtwo deserves a big introduction.  I'm working on completing a proper script editor which will make it a lot easier to make large scale changes. I can't say it'll be added soon but it'll be cool. ?

On 9/24/2018 at 7:46 PM, Tsukichan6272 said:

I just relaunched the game for the first time in a couple months, continuing from where I left off in the Cypher Base.. But I think my Charizard has changed? When I first obtained it (level 43 encase there is a second one later on) I could have sworn it had Drought, but now it's ability is Tough Claws? I get Tough Claw's is the ability of it's X form, but I've always loved Y and was super hyped for my Drought Zard bringing devastation. Does the Charizard always have Tough Claws? Every other one I've encountered from Trainers has Drought 

Charizard can have either drought or tough claws as its ability. When catching it as a shadow pokemon it'll be randomly assigned on or the other. I can't see why the ability would have changed other than using a save editor or cheat codes. Another possibility is that you had reset the game without saving after catching it and the first time you caught it had drought but the second time it had tough claws. Besides that I'm not sure what else could have changed it.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:59 PM, Michael Morningstar said:

Very glad that an Ability Capsule will be released in a future update. This is a godsend; every time I edit a pokemon's state on that Gamecube Save Editor, it ALWAYS changes the special ability, even if I'm not touching that pokemon at all. This is a reason why I couldn't use many of the pokemon since their abilities constantly change.

How will we obtain the Capsule? Can it be purchased from a store? Can we use it as many times as we want?

I finally invested some time into making a proper assembly compiler. The way I used to do it was pretty slow and I feel silly for not doing it sooner. It's made it so much easier to reprogram the game and I've been able to make a lot of the more tedious or lower priority changes that I would have previously dreaded and it's made more ambitious routines like the ability capsule's feasible. 

The save editor issue has been quite troubling and I had previously planned to edit the source code to be compatible with XG but it would require me to rewrite it every time I made the tiniest update. When the game is more or less complete (in like another year or two) I'll consider it. At least for now the capsule mitigates the most pressing issue of it changing abilities.

The ability capsule is one use only but can be obtained infinitely. It can be purchased as a Mt. Battle prize using poké coupons and there are a small handful given for free here and there. 

16 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Hey @StarsMmd, been playing through the game again on v1.6.1-2 and ive noticed a few odd things that i didnt see you mention on the upcoming v 1.8. First is im using a life orb on a pokemon and say i use a attacking move but i get flinched (like from fake out) i still take life orb damage. Also I know you said you fixed the poke snacks from pyrite town but the poke snacks i bought from there and also from phenac city dont work. When i sort the bag it seems like the game is reading them as a different item because it puts them near the top of the bag instead of the bottom. Also when i go to a poke spot it says i dont have any in my bag. And last thing i noticed is a very minor thing but after i get the snag machine from team snagem and i catch the shadow absol form mirror B, every time i try to reset to get a different ability/nature, the absol always has a impish nature. I resetted like 10 times but it was always impish. Again its not a huge deal but its just something i noticed. I know you work really hard on this game to fix all the minor things and i really appreciate what you do, i havent had this much fun playing pokemon in a looooong time. I cant wait for the next update to come out. 

Oh I actually have a quick question. I knew in later generations kings rock doesnt stack with moves that have flinch chance so is that also true in this game since its based on later generation games? Or can i use kings rock with moves like crunch and iron head to increase the chance of flinch? Thanks again for all the help and all the hard work you do. 

I had planned to fix the life orb recoil damage when a pokemon flinches in a future update but since you brought it up again I gave it a quick look and it wasn't too difficult in the end so it has now been fixed in v1.1.8. 

I hadn't properly updated one of my lines of code from years ago so the one obscure little file that contains the pokemart data wasn't actually being compiled. I compiled it manually in testing so it seemed fine but that didn't translate to the final product. I believe it should actually be changed in v1.1.8 though.

In XD, shadow pokemon are randomly generated the first time you encounter them. After this, their ability, gender, nature, IVs, etc. are saved and will not change in future encounters (The exception is Zook's Zangoose which is only set when you fight him yourself. The first 2 times you see it aren't set in stone and it's common for it's gender to visible change between appearances). You would have had to reset the fight with Gonzap to change its stats. 

King's rock does not stack with flinching moves in XG. XG aims to be as close to gen 7 as possible in terms of mechanics and it's getting pretty close!