Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

Orre Singles is done.

I did notice a couple of things during play today.

A few text things from Orre:

Gonzap's opening dialogue misspells Snagem as Sangem

whew isn't capitalized in Willie's loss dialogue

aaaargh isn't capitalized in Set 7's semi-final dialogue.

Also noticed a couple of interesting moments where Choice locked Pokemon Struggled to death despite having other moves.

Examples of that are Purple's Kingdra running out of Draco Meteor(Still having PP for Dragon Puilse/Ice Beam) and Red's Typhlosion running out of Eruption.(Didn't try to use any other move.)

On 6/1/2018 at 3:44 PM, purebutter said:

Thanks so much for making this hack! I've been really enjoying it so far. The new mechanics are wonderful and the difficulty is at a great level of being challenging without requiring excessive grinding.

However I've recently run into a bug that has gotten me stuck. In the battle against Mirror B. at Outskirt Stand (when you first visit the area) whenever I get him down to his last pokemon, the game freezes when I try to select my next move, no matter what I select. I've tried the battle multiple times and it's happened each time when I get him down to one pokemon and then select my moves.

Can you give me more details? Did you catch the shadow ludicolo before this fight? Which pokemon was his last or does it crash regardless? Which pokemon do you have in your team?

On 6/2/2018 at 5:47 PM, PinkOnion said:

Orre Singles is done.

I did notice a couple of things during play today.

A few text things from Orre:

Gonzap's opening dialogue misspells Snagem as Sangem

whew isn't capitalized in Willie's loss dialogue

aaaargh isn't capitalized in Set 7's semi-final dialogue.

Also noticed a couple of interesting moments where Choice locked Pokemon Struggled to death despite having other moves.

Examples of that are Purple's Kingdra running out of Draco Meteor(Still having PP for Dragon Puilse/Ice Beam) and Red's Typhlosion running out of Eruption.(Didn't try to use any other move.)

Thanks, its all been noted. I'm going to play around with the AI a bit as well so hopefully that will fix some of the odd behaviour at times.

22 hours ago, StarsMmd said:

Can you give me more details? Did you catch the shadow ludicolo before this fight? Which pokemon was his last or does it crash regardless? Which pokemon do you have in your team?

Thanks, its all been noted. I'm going to play around with the AI a bit as well so hopefully that will fix some of the odd behaviour at times.

The shadow Lucicolo was already caught in a previous battle with him and he now has a Shadow Politoed + several regular Ludicolo. I attempted the battle about three separate times taking different actions but each time once I had him down to one Pokemon and was about to finish off the battle, the game would freeze when I would select my moves. I don't think it's tied to one particular pokemon of his, because at least one time his final pokemon was the Politoed, while the other two times it was one of the Ludicolos but I can't remember which level(s) they were.

My team is Umbreon, Swampert, Sceptile, Clefable, Shelgon (all purified), and Shadow Alolan Marowak. I had a different combination of pokemon left on my own team for each crash, and also experimented with selecting different moves to see if there was one particular move that was causing it, but no matter what moves were picked, even if I chose an item or "Call", the game would freeze as soon as my choices were selected.

It may be related to a bug a user posted about a few posts back relating to status conditions, because I think in at least 2/3 of the scenarios or possibly all three his last pokemon had a status condition. I can try to attempt the battle again but make sure that his final Pokemon does not have a status condition.

EDIT: I just tried again and made sure not to inflict a status condition on his last Pokemon and was able to complete the battle without a crash! So I think that may have been the cause. I just want to thank you again for not only making this hack but being so dedicated to updating it and trying to fix these bugs. :)

Edited by purebutter

36 minutes ago, purebutter said:

The shadow Lucicolo was already caught in a previous battle with him and he now has a Shadow Politoed + several regular Ludicolo. I attempted the battle about three separate times taking different actions but each time once I had him down to one Pokemon and was about to finish off the battle, the game would freeze when I would select my moves. I don't think it's tied to one particular pokemon of his, because at least one time his final pokemon was the Politoed, while the other two times it was one of the Ludicolos but I can't remember which level(s) they were.

My team is Umbreon, Swampert, Sceptile, Clefable, Shelgon (all purified), and Shadow Alolan Marowak. I had a different combination of pokemon left on my own team for each crash, and also experimented with selecting different moves to see if there was one particular move that was causing it, but no matter what moves were picked, even if I chose an item or "Call", the game would freeze as soon as my choices were selected.

It may be related to a bug a user posted about a few posts back relating to status conditions, because I think in at least 2/3 of the scenarios or possibly all three his last pokemon had a status condition. I can try to attempt the battle again but make sure that his final Pokemon does not have a status condition.

EDIT: I just tried again and made sure not to inflict a status condition on his last Pokemon and was able to complete the battle without a crash! So I think that may have been the cause. I just want to thank you again for not only making this hack but being so dedicated to updating it and trying to fix these bugs. :)

Ah I was going to ask for the save file so I could debug it but I'll see if I can figure out the problem anyway. Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad you made it through in the end though. ?

P.S. to the people out there who have made colosseum based requests recently, just wanted to let you know I'm working on them. I'm currently updating GoD Tool to handle the differences between the two while trying to preserve as much of the similar code as possible. 

Edited by StarsMmd

Hey Stars,

Firstly I want to say that I immensely enjoy your game. XD has always held a special place in my heart and you managed to relight that fire.

Secondly I think the game could really improve from adding friendship berries. Whilst I want to incorporate shadow pokemon into my team I find myself not doing so out of fear that I might end up with a gardevoir with high attack ev's or a gengar with loads of special defense ev's. Having friendship berries could eliminate that restriction. Perhaps you could have the vendor in the outskirt stand sell them rather than his usual Pokemart load of potions, revives and balls.

Your's Sincerely,

Me

14 hours ago, Largeprune said:

I am having this issue whenever I try to save my game. How do I get around this? I know it is something to do with save states, but I don't know how to get around this issue.

1111111.png

I think it is mentioned in the purple text on this page 

TLDR: I think it says don't go back to a save state older than your save file.

On a side note I have been getting crashes while EV training Sableye. At least I think I have distilled the problem to only occur when Sableye was active in the battle. The game froze up the moment I had selected the target of my 2nd pokemon's move.

Sableye has been detained in PKMN prison for the time being.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, SirL4ncelot said:

Hey Stars,

Firstly I want to say that I immensely enjoy your game. XD has always held a special place in my heart and you managed to relight that fire.

Secondly I think the game could really improve from adding friendship berries. Whilst I want to incorporate shadow pokemon into my team I find myself not doing so out of fear that I might end up with a gardevoir with high attack ev's or a gengar with loads of special defense ev's. Having friendship berries could eliminate that restriction. Perhaps you could have the vendor in the outskirt stand sell them rather than his usual Pokemart load of potions, revives and balls.

Your's Sincerely,

Me

Thanks for the kind words ?

As for the berries. It is on my list of things to add for the next update. Haven't quite figured out where I want to put them yet though.

16 hours ago, Largeprune said:

I am having this issue whenever I try to save my game. How do I get around this? I know it is something to do with save states, but I don't know how to get around this issue.

The issue is exactly as the error message says. The memory card must be the same one used to start the save file. I'm not sure if you changed your memory card settings in dolphin at any point in time. Dolphin uses memory card files on your computer so make sure it's set up to use the same one you started with.

1 hour ago, SirL4ncelot said:

On a side note I have been getting crashes while EV training Sableye. At least I think I have distilled the problem to only occur when Sableye was active in the battle. The game froze up the moment I had selected the target of my 2nd pokemon's move.

Sableye has been detained in PKMN prison for the time being.

Which ability and which moves does it have?

Hi Stars,

Like a majority here, I really love with what you've done with XD here, shame XD isn't as well known as the other pokemon games.  I'm currently in a bad spot and could use some assistance if possible.  I'm at the point of the game where I have to battle Greevil and the game crashes/freezes whenever Shadow Rayquaza uses Shadow Ascent.  I've tried re-patching a clean ISO file and using my save states through that more or less breaks the game albeit I've noticed some changes with my current Metagross going from Tough claws to Clear body, Salamance going from Aerilate to Moxie and the levels and the team for Greevil being changed such as Lugia going down to Lv 60 and Mewtwo and Deoxys being replaced with Milotic and Scizor for example.  I'm kinda in a deadlock here as this also changes up his previous shadow pokemon line up like Latios, Latias being changed into things like snorlax and other things that have been captured prior.  Another small issue I've noticed is that the Shadow Groudon I've had has his shadow gauge seeming stretched out and his moves completely changed from Shadow burn, shake, smash, terrain changed to only shadow switch and shadow snooze. 

I really appreciate the effort put into the hack and is definitely one of my favorites but I could really use assistance towards this as I currently can't complete the game and trying to deal with a full team of shadow pokemon with shadow rayquaza crashing it everytime is a bit frustrating.  

21 hours ago, SirL4ncelot said:

Prankster.

Foul Play

WillO-Wisp

Shadow Rush

Recover

The error occurred regardless of the move I used.

Do you think you'd be able to send me your memory card file so I can test it directly?

20 hours ago, SenpaiSalt said:

Hi Stars,

Like a majority here, I really love with what you've done with XD here, shame XD isn't as well known as the other pokemon games.  I'm currently in a bad spot and could use some assistance if possible.  I'm at the point of the game where I have to battle Greevil and the game crashes/freezes whenever Shadow Rayquaza uses Shadow Ascent.  I've tried re-patching a clean ISO file and using my save states through that more or less breaks the game albeit I've noticed some changes with my current Metagross going from Tough claws to Clear body, Salamance going from Aerilate to Moxie and the levels and the team for Greevil being changed such as Lugia going down to Lv 60 and Mewtwo and Deoxys being replaced with Milotic and Scizor for example.  I'm kinda in a deadlock here as this also changes up his previous shadow pokemon line up like Latios, Latias being changed into things like snorlax and other things that have been captured prior.  Another small issue I've noticed is that the Shadow Groudon I've had has his shadow gauge seeming stretched out and his moves completely changed from Shadow burn, shake, smash, terrain changed to only shadow switch and shadow snooze. 

I really appreciate the effort put into the hack and is definitely one of my favorites but I could really use assistance towards this as I currently can't complete the game and trying to deal with a full team of shadow pokemon with shadow rayquaza crashing it everytime is a bit frustrating.  

Versions v1.1.0 and above are not compatible with save files started before v1.1.0. I'd recommend going back to your previous save file otherwise you'll cause more problems than you'll fix.

If you started the save file before v1.0.7-3 then update to 1.0.7-3 which is the other available download link. This version is designed to fix the bugs from older versions while still being compatible. If the error still occurs on v1.0.7-3 then it means you'll have to try and knock out rayquaza or capture it before it has the opportunity to use shadow ascent.

One thing I noticed is that opponents tend to spam Protect multiple times in a row again and again with both Pokemon to the point where it just wastes time. I know protect is an important part of doubles play but the way the AI uses it verges on being obnoxious 

Good evening @StarsMmd

I went through patch 1.1.5 and i went on the quest for the legendary dogs prior to the shadow Pokemon factory and i successfully caught both entei and raikou however I cannot catch suicune due to a bug thus suicune not appearing after encountering it. The overworld sprite is there however the battle shows no suicune present within battle which causes me to stay stuck within the battle

Missing suicune1.png

Missing Suicune2a.png

It feels so weird to have access to Skarmory and several shadow Pokemon variants of PokeSpot Pokemon but no Mantine...

Do you think it'd be possible to replace Golduck with Mantine since Psyduck's already a thing?  Having both stages take up the PokeSpot slots feels like a waste when I can't go full-on Pokemon Colosseum team nostalgia.

While that's the only request I'm particularly passionate about (since you were able to catch Mantine in previous updates), I'm curious on your thoughts about possibly doing similar replacements for other evolution line slots, like replacing Tentacruel and Altaria for Volbeat and Illumise or Camerupt for Tyrogue.

Whatever you decide to do will be fine, I was just very surprised that you were willing to cut Mantine out of the game completely rather than replacing a Pokemon like Octillary, who's already an obtainable Shadow Pokemon in addition to being catch-able in the cave.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, StarsMmd said:

Do you think you'd be able to send me your memory card file so I can test it directly?

I'm not sure how to do this.

Meanwhile I encountered something else which is either a bug or a hilarious addition. My Dusclops and Mawhile were in a battle and mawhile dealt a final blow with ice punch. Then, opposed to the battle ending like I would expect, Dusclops comes in like a backstabbin' Loki and shadow rushes Mawhile! Do shadow moves do this or no?

EDIT: As this is the first time I have seen this it could also be an error of my own.

Edited by SirL4ncelot

Love the hack! It’s awesome. Just one thing, when you capture Shuckle, is it broken? When I put him in my party I could never get out of a battle with him, my FPS would drop to 0 and I’d get a 3 second clip of the music on loop. I play with all of your recommended settings on a higher end PC. Any thoughts?

I love this hack but when I click certain moves I keep getting these errors popping up and I can eventually close them all and keep playing but it will do it again whenever I click the same move or it could have to do with a certain Pokemon spot.image.png.c36d1838bc4cb7f59bd736fe236dd6c6.png

On 6/12/2018 at 6:04 PM, Largeprune said:

One thing I noticed is that opponents tend to spam Protect multiple times in a row again and again with both Pokemon to the point where it just wastes time. I know protect is an important part of doubles play but the way the AI uses it verges on being obnoxious 

I've been removing protect from most of the NPC trainers as the AI is often really annoying with it. Not sure which version you're on but most of them should be gone in the more recent versions. If any NPCs are still spamming protect on the latest version please do let me know which ones so I can sort them out. :-)

On 6/14/2018 at 7:28 AM, tjallan53149 said:

It feels so weird to have access to Skarmory and several shadow Pokemon variants of PokeSpot Pokemon but no Mantine...

Do you think it'd be possible to replace Golduck with Mantine since Psyduck's already a thing?  Having both stages take up the PokeSpot slots feels like a waste when I can't go full-on Pokemon Colosseum team nostalgia.

While that's the only request I'm particularly passionate about (since you were able to catch Mantine in previous updates), I'm curious on your thoughts about possibly doing similar replacements for other evolution line slots, like replacing Tentacruel and Altaria for Volbeat and Illumise or Camerupt for Tyrogue.

Whatever you decide to do will be fine, I was just very surprised that you were willing to cut Mantine out of the game completely rather than replacing a Pokemon like Octillary, who's already an obtainable Shadow Pokemon in addition to being catch-able in the cave.

I didn't think anyone would notice ?

I hadn't seen any playthroughs make much use of mantine and with so many water pokemon available I figured I'd just cut it. I'll put it back in just for you though ?

The reason the options are slightly limited in that way is simply because it takes time and effort and make all these changes. I need to set level up moves, learnable TMs and tutor moves for each obtainable pokemon as well as overworld models, animations, etc. for each pokespot pokemon. One doesn't take too long on its own but they quickly add up when considering the hundreds of pokemon in the game.

I'm wary of adding too many unique pokemon to the pokespots though as it makes it harder to find specific pokemon for your team. For example, Golduck only has a spawn rate of 1%. If I were to simply replace it with mantine then that means mantine would have a 1% chance of being encountered and it takes a while to spawn pokespot pokemon. Furthermore, a player wanting a golduck on their team would have a 4% chance of finding psyduck as opposed to the 5% of psyduck + golduck. Increasing mantine's chance to something reasonable would require further cuts from other species. It's all a balancing act.

Also, I don't consider shadow pokemon found after Citadark Isle to be truly obtainable. Based on observations on the way people play the game, very few players make changes to their teams by that point in the game. At the same time, Citadark needs lots of shadow pokemon to feel like Cipher's secret base so I filled it with shadow pokemon but made sure those pokemon were still available earlier in case someone really wanted to play through the game with one of those pokemon.

TLDR; I'll add Mantine back in but the process isn't that simple so probably won't add too many others.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:06 AM, SirL4ncelot said:

I'm not sure how to do this.

Meanwhile I encountered something else which is either a bug or a hilarious addition. My Dusclops and Mawhile were in a battle and mawhile dealt a final blow with ice punch. Then, opposed to the battle ending like I would expect, Dusclops comes in like a backstabbin' Loki and shadow rushes Mawhile! Do shadow moves do this or no?

EDIT: As this is the first time I have seen this it could also be an error of my own.

I haven't seen it happen myself but I'll be on the lookout. ?

On 6/23/2018 at 5:37 AM, WhyShucks said:

Love the hack! It’s awesome. Just one thing, when you capture Shuckle, is it broken? When I put him in my party I could never get out of a battle with him, my FPS would drop to 0 and I’d get a 3 second clip of the music on loop. I play with all of your recommended settings on a higher end PC. Any thoughts?

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue myself but it sounds like a programming error on my part putting the game in an infinite loop. I'll try and figure out where it's coming from. It would be helpful if you could send me your save file though so I could see the issue directly. ?

On 6/24/2018 at 4:40 PM, Pokeguy7 said:

I love this hack but when I click certain moves I keep getting these errors popping up and I can eventually close them all and keep playing but it will do it again whenever I click the same move or it could have to do with a certain Pokemon spot.image.png.c36d1838bc4cb7f59bd736fe236dd6c6.png

I believe disabling panic handlers should fix the issue. Go to Config > Interface and untick "Use Panic Handlers". I hope that helps ?

On 6/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, StarsMmd said:

I didn't think anyone would notice ?

I hadn't seen any playthroughs make much use of mantine and with so many water pokemon available I figured I'd just cut it. I'll put it back in just for you though ?

The reason the options are slightly limited in that way is simply because it takes time and effort and make all these changes. I need to set level up moves, learnable TMs and tutor moves for each obtainable pokemon as well as overworld models, animations, etc. for each pokespot pokemon. One doesn't take too long on its own but they quickly add up when considering the hundreds of pokemon in the game.

I'm wary of adding too many unique pokemon to the pokespots though as it makes it harder to find specific pokemon for your team. For example, Golduck only has a spawn rate of 1%. If I were to simply replace it with mantine then that means mantine would have a 1% chance of being encountered and it takes a while to spawn pokespot pokemon. Furthermore, a player wanting a golduck on their team would have a 4% chance of finding psyduck as opposed to the 5% of psyduck + golduck. Increasing mantine's chance to something reasonable would require further cuts from other species. It's all a balancing act.

Also, I don't consider shadow pokemon found after Citadark Isle to be truly obtainable. Based on observations on the way people play the game, very few players make changes to their teams by that point in the game. At the same time, Citadark needs lots of shadow pokemon to feel like Cipher's secret base so I filled it with shadow pokemon but made sure those pokemon were still available earlier in case someone really wanted to play through the game with one of those pokemon.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about the fact that the different slots likely had different encounter rates, in that case, it would probably make more sense to replace 4 of the 1% Pokemon that still have previous evolution available like Seadra, Primape Quagsire and Golduck (but you seem to be pretty passionate about Golduck, so I suppose you can choose whatever makes sense, haha).

Just an idea, but I'm sure whatever you chose to do will be fine.  The fact that you're willing to put Mantine back in for me at all means a lot and is way more than I'd ever expect from a ROM hacker that's already doing as much work as you are. o_0

The Citidark Isle snags make far more sense now as well, thank you for the explanation!
Thank you again for all your hard work on this amazing game!

Started playing this again lol, and a feature request did occur to me.  I know you implemented the physical special split, however there is no way to know currently whether a move is physical or special except through prior knowledge/looking it up.  I was wondering if you'd be able to add in the physical/special icons to the summary screen of pokemon somewhere to indicate this, similar to later gens of pokemon.  Granted, as this would be a visual change, I'm unsure how possible it is for you to do this, but thought I'd ask all the same.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, N7Red said:

@jumpylaxs123 did you ever figure out that suicune problem? It's occurring in my game too.

Sadly I haven't found a solution and I've tagged Stars about this issue and I haven't received a response from him, or if there's a simple fix for it or a new patch in place for it. @N7Red

@StarsMmd if there's a fix for suicune please let us know.

Edited by jumpylaxs123