Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

Wow, you're really on the ball this weekend for patching the game with all these hotfixes! This is just that reminder that you asked me to make about adding a quick option or prompt to set Colosseum battles to either the Single or Double format.

Keep up the amazing work -- Even after all this time it still makes me so happy to see an old favorite of mine get these kinds of mods.

20 hours ago, tjallan53149 said:

@StarsMmd Were this game not specifically designed to team build exclusively for double-battles, I'd say making the Colosseums single battles is pretty cool, but a lot of my Pokemon are kind of garbage in single-battle format; Orre Colosseum in particular being the "Competitive Pokemon"/Battle Tower-esk Colosseum doesn't make much sense as a Single Battle Colosseum since you're spending the entire game refining a team specifically designed for Doubles.

Finally, I meant to ask this question quite a while ago but forgot to do so- is there any way to lower EVs in this game?  Such as EV-lowering berries or an EV-resetting NPC?

Let me know if you'd like me to compile a log of potential errors I find when playing through the most recent patch and I can send you a word document outlining them if you'd like

I would agree but I put a lot of effort into designing a good selection of TMs, tutor moves and relearn moves and making all those options reusable and easily accessible. This makes it very feasible to switch your strategies for single/double battles quite easily. Honestly, without reason to switch up the team a lot of these features go unused and as the developer it makes me sad XD.

I've been asked about EV reducing berries recently actually so it's on my todo list. I'll get around to it soon!

Yeah it's tough for me to find all the bugs myself so it would be very helpful to get a list of anything you find. Thanks ?

13 hours ago, Hecto said:

Wow, you're really on the ball this weekend for patching the game with all these hotfixes! This is just that reminder that you asked me to make about adding a quick option or prompt to set Colosseum battles to either the Single or Double format.

Keep up the amazing work -- Even after all this time it still makes me so happy to see an old favorite of mine get these kinds of mods.

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. Will get that uploaded shortly.

Edit: v1.1.3b (colosseum double battles) <-- apply to a clean ISO

1 hour ago, PinkOnion said:

Early in the stream today playing 1.1.2, none of the type resistances or weaknesses seem to be working.

@StarsMmd

Yep, sorry about that. I noticed it myself just before you mentioned it so I've got a new patch ready now and it'll be uploaded in a few minutes. Thanks ?

Edited by StarsMmd

Hey @StarsMmd, I'm playing on 1.1.3 and my shadow Poochyena was caught with Fur Coat, but when I purified it, the ability changed to Rattled.  Also, the description for Rattled says "Prevents item theft" instead of what it actually does. I'll post again if I find more bugs.

screenshot

Edit: Moxie says "Powers shadow moves"

Edited by spiri7omb

51 minutes ago, spiri7omb said:

Hey @StarsMmd, I'm playing on 1.1.3 and my shadow Poochyena was caught with Fur Coat, but when I purified it, the ability changed to Rattled. Also, the description for Rattled says "Prevents item theft" instead of what it actually does. I'll post again if I find more bugs.

screenshot

Did you catch the poochyena in 1.1.2? The Poochyena line no longer has fur coat, instead it has rattled -> moxie in 1.1.3, so it probably updated when you purified it.

Just now, Nuxl said:

Did you catch the poochyena in 1.1.2? The Poochyena line no longer has fur coat, instead it has rattled -> moxie in 1.1.3, so it probably updated when you purified it.

Ohh yeah that's it. Thanks for that catch.

Today's stream went pretty well, got a Shiny Nidoqueen I probably won't use, had Weezing Shadow Boom many times, and saved by accident after catching my last team member with a bad nature and bad ability, haha.

There was one thing I noticed, during the battle with Matt for the System Lever, his Primeape was getting double Moxie boosts after KOing something with Close Combat.

Whilst doing some grinding in preparation for today's stream, I've noticed a couple of things.

Close Combat's stat change animation is different, showing a raise instead of what the text says, which is a drop.

Tail Glow is also inverted in this way.

And Storm Drain apparently blocks the user's own Rain Dance, which isn't right.

Also, I forget if you mentioned this before in another post, but Moxie, Storm Drain and Lightningrod all use the blue increase stat indicator for Speed instead of the actual stat.

On another note, the stream will be live shortly.

Edited by PinkOnion

Tyranitar can't learn Flamethrower.
This made me beyond sad since I'd designed my team specifically with that in mind and was the whole reason I was running a Naughty Nature over Adamant.
Small nitpick I know, but it's just so incredibly sad.
Could you perhaps find it in your heart to allow Tyranitar to breath fire once again at some point in the future?
My T-Rex just isn't the same without being able to reliably nail things like Skarmory, Scizor and Foretress on the Special Side like it could since Crystal Version.
If not, that's okay, I still greatly appreciate the hack.
(melodramatic post aside, you really should consider adding it to its movepool at some point in the future. ;) )

You should also consider replacing Feint with something like Follow Me since it sounds like you've removed Protect from virtually all NPC Pokemon, effectively making the move an inferior Quick Attack and virtually useless.
image.thumb.png.0e94d5e954ac6f8dc2eda06d626bb060.png

Edited by tjallan53149

So I'm in ONBS tower right now fighting the commander and Granbull's Rattled ability is just shutting out all of my moves completely - Tried using Hyper Voice, Dazzling Gleam, Extrasensory, Mud Shot, Water Pulse and Yawn on it and every time Rattled is activated and its completely blocked. Had this problem with Shadow Poochyena in Gateon Port too but Shadow Stealth worked there and I was able to catch it. No such luck with Granbull - it isn't shadow and I don't have any shadow pokemon in my party. How do I hit something with Rattled? 

EDIT: Okay so apparently Crunch works so I'm guessing that you can only hit that pokemon with not very effective moves (like a reverse Wonder Guard)? a) That's a little bit OP b) but why though? The in-game description says "prevents item theft" and the general description of Rattled is "Speed is raised by one stage when a pokemon is hit by a ghost, bug or dark move" so why does it just shut out everything bar not very effective moves?

Edited by FlareBeast

2 hours ago, FlareBeast said:

So I'm in ONBS tower right now fighting the commander and Granbull's Rattled ability is just shutting out all of my moves completely - Tried using Hyper Voice, Dazzling Gleam, Extrasensory, Mud Shot, Water Pulse and Yawn on it and every time Rattled is activated and its completely blocked. Had this problem with Shadow Poochyena in Gateon Port too but Shadow Stealth worked there and I was able to catch it. No such luck with Granbull - it isn't shadow and I don't have any shadow pokemon in my party. How do I hit something with Rattled? 

EDIT: Okay so apparently Crunch works so I'm guessing that you can only hit that pokemon with not very effective moves (like a reverse Wonder Guard)? a) That's a little bit OP b) but why though? The in-game description says "prevents item theft" and the general description of Rattled is "Speed is raised by one stage when a pokemon is hit by a ghost, bug or dark move" so why does it just shut out everything bar not very effective moves?

Having this same issue, it only allows you to hit them if you use a ghost, bug, or dark type move. If I didn't have a pokemon with dark type moves I would have been stuck.

Thanks for updating the Colosseum matches to go back to doubles! Though I notice that there isn't a prompt to ask for a preference, it's just back to doubles altogether. I doubt that would be maintainable across updates to have single and double branches. Is that a future plan and this was just a quick, temporary fix, or...? It seemed like you wanted to give Singles a shot, so I wouldn't want you to scrap the idea entirely just because I asked for doubles to return.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:09 PM, spiri7omb said:

Hey @StarsMmd, I'm playing on 1.1.3 and my shadow Poochyena was caught with Fur Coat, but when I purified it, the ability changed to Rattled.  Also, the description for Rattled says "Prevents item theft" instead of what it actually does. I'll post again if I find more bugs.

screenshot

I literally wrote up the code to change the descriptions but I must have forgot to run it. This has been fixed for the next update.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, PinkOnion said:

There was one thing I noticed, during the battle with Matt for the System Lever, his Primeape was getting double Moxie boosts after KOing something with Close Combat.

Thanks for letting me know. I've now fixed this issue for the next update.

On 5/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, Karametrachat said:

Just finished the game, patch fixed the Greevis battle. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to add the ability to remove the snag machine after all shadow pokemon are captured and purified like in the alt ending?

Is that not already the case in vanilla XD? If not then while I could probably do it, it would be a low priority right now. Sorry! ?

On 5/21/2018 at 4:10 PM, PinkOnion said:

Whilst doing some grinding in preparation for today's stream, I've noticed a couple of things.

Close Combat's stat change animation is different, showing a raise instead of what the text says, which is a drop.

Tail Glow is also inverted in this way.

And Storm Drain apparently blocks the user's own Rain Dance, which isn't right.

Also, I forget if you mentioned this before in another post, but Moxie, Storm Drain and Lightningrod all use the blue increase stat indicator for Speed instead of the actual stat.

On another note, the stream will be live shortly.

A lot of the new moves I had to program from scratch in the last big move update just use the white stat raise animation because I got lazy. I just used the same code for both increasing and decreasing, whereas technically they're supposed to also have different colours based on the specific stats that were raised or lowered too. I'll get around to doing the stat change animations properly eventually. The one where intimidate sometimes turns into the blue stat raise animation is a bug though and I have no idea why that one happens. Similarly for the animations on moxie, etc. I literally just copied the code from speed boost activating and there are no other similar abilities to pool code from. Would be a bit of work to do a custom job for different stats being raised by abilities but will get around to it one day also.

As for the issue with storm drain, I noticed this was possible a while back with nasty plot on justified but simply opted to remove the possibility rather than checking for it as I'd have to redo the code. It'll be a quick fix though so I'll have it ready for the next update.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:52 AM, tjallan53149 said:

Tyranitar can't learn Flamethrower.
This made me beyond sad since I'd designed my team specifically with that in mind and was the whole reason I was running a Naughty Nature over Adamant.
Small nitpick I know, but it's just so incredibly sad.
Could you perhaps find it in your heart to allow Tyranitar to breath fire once again at some point in the future?
My T-Rex just isn't the same without being able to reliably nail things like Skarmory, Scizor and Foretress on the Special Side like it could since Crystal Version.
If not, that's okay, I still greatly appreciate the hack.
(melodramatic post aside, you really should consider adding it to its movepool at some point in the future. ;) )

You should also consider replacing Feint with something like Follow Me since it sounds like you've removed Protect from virtually all NPC Pokemon, effectively making the move an inferior Quick Attack and virtually useless.

Don't worry, I assure you it wasn't intentional and it's already been fixed for the next update. It gets hard to keep track of everything sometimes. 

Follow me had to be removed in order to program wide guard which I decided was more important as it meant I didn't have to nerf shadow shake and shadow wave which are otherwise very broken. I do plan to reimplement follow me from scratch though.

20 hours ago, Matiri said:

Not sure if it's been fixed but in 1.0.7, herb items would just not work at all. It would always say that "it is meaningless" to use it.

I'll look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

12 hours ago, FlareBeast said:

Yup, my bad. Any move that doesn't activate rattled accidentally treated as an immunity meaning it can only be affected by bug, dark, ghost and shadow moves. I've fixed this for the next update. It was just a small oversight on my end ?

The ability description will also be fixed in the next update.

8 hours ago, Hecto said:

Thanks for updating the Colosseum matches to go back to doubles! Though I notice that there isn't a prompt to ask for a preference, it's just back to doubles altogether. I doubt that would be maintainable across updates to have single and double branches. Is that a future plan and this was just a quick, temporary fix, or...? It seemed like you wanted to give Singles a shot, so I wouldn't want you to scrap the idea entirely just because I asked for doubles to return.

It's possible in theory but will take a little bit of effort. It's on my list so I'll get to it eventually!

I have searched high and low, on every single page of this forum, through all of the documentation, and via Google, and for the life of me, I cannot find the evolution guide for this game.

I saw that Scyther evolved into Scizor via level-up when Stars mentioned it in a reply several months ago, but I have no idea how to evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed (or if I even can evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed), how to evolve Slowpoke into Slowking, if/how Clampearl evolves in this game (assuming there's ever a means of randomizing this game), or what level Haunter, Kadabra, Graveler, Machoke, Onix, Seadra, or Porygon evolve into their respective "Trade Evolution" forms.

Did I simply miss a document/post that outlined these things?  I'm compiling a table of renewable Pokemon in this game and at the very least, I need to know if Pokemon like Politoed and Slowking can be obtained via PokeSpot evolution or if those branch evolutions simply aren't possible, in which case the Shadow Politoed and Shadow Slowking become far more valuable (and in turn, their Natures and IVs become far more important).

On a side note, I find it quite interesting that Jynx, the only Ice/Psychic type in the game, was changed to Ice/Fairy despite Alolan Ninetails being in the game.  Granted, it does have some niches in the form of Lovely Kiss, higher overall Speed and Special Attack, and the ability to not summon a hailstorm upon entry and thus generally allow better team-building synergy among a wider pool of potential teammates.  And design-wise, I could definitely buy it being a Fairy type if I didn't know any better.  I don't necessarily dislike the change, but I do admittedly miss its unique Psychic/Ice typing, along with its STAB Psychic moves and lack of x4 weaknesses.  That being said, I can't deny that its new Fairy typing does some pretty cool things for it as well.

@StarsMmd If you're ever up for it, I'd love to hear your thought process behind the typing-change, as I'm sure it would allow me to both better understand and appreciate it.
(and thank you for your patience with me, because I know I've kind of been sending you a barrage of trivial questions as of late)

PS. In Generation III, spread damage moves in double battles are programmed to only do 2/3 of their normal damage, rounded down.  This was changed to 3/4 damage in Generation IV-onward (basically 66% spread damage vs. the 75% spread damage).  For example, Earthquake is base 66 w/o STAB and Dazzling Gleam base 52 w/o STAB, whereas they'd be base 75 and base 60 respectively in Sun & Moon Doubles.  This also calculates to make spread STAB moves have their non-STAB base power (STAB EQ is base 100, for example) rather than being slightly higher (base 112).  Did you chose to update the spread-damage mechanic to Gen IV+ base power or keep it at the Gen III base power?  You mentioned moves like Shadow Quake and Shadow Storm already being borderline broken, so I can't help but wonder if that fact alone makes the Gen III spread-damage calculation more balanced than the modern one.

Edited by tjallan53149

1 hour ago, tjallan53149 said:

I have searched high and low, on every single page of this forum, through all of the documentation, and via Google, and for the life of me, I cannot find the evolution guide for this game.

I saw that Scyther evolved into Scizor via level-up when Stars mentioned it in a reply several months ago, but I have no idea how to evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed (or if I even can evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed), how to evolve Slowpoke into Slowking, if/how Clampearl evolves in this game (assuming there's ever a means of randomizing this game), or what level Haunter, Kadabra, Graveler, Machoke, Onix, Seadra, or Porygon evolve into their respective "Trade Evolution" forms.

Did I simply miss a document/post that outlined these things?  I'm compiling a table of renewable Pokemon in this game and at the very least, I need to know if Pokemon like Politoed and Slowking can be obtained via PokeSpot evolution or if those branch evolutions simply aren't possible, in which case the Shadow Politoed and Shadow Slowking become far more valuable (and in turn, their Natures and IVs become far more important).

On a side note, I find it quite interesting that Jynx, the only Ice/Psychic type in the game, was changed to Ice/Fairy despite Alolan Ninetails being in the game.  Granted, it does have some niches in the form of Lovely Kiss, higher overall Speed and Special Attack, and the ability to not summon a hailstorm upon entry and thus generally allow better team-building synergy among a wider pool of potential teammates.  And design-wise, I could definitely buy it being a Fairy type if I didn't know any better.  I don't necessarily dislike the change, but I do admittedly miss its unique Psychic/Ice typing, along with its STAB Psychic moves and lack of x4 weaknesses.  That being said, I can't deny that its new Fairy typing does some pretty cool things for it as well.

@StarsMmd If you're ever up for it, I'd love to hear your thought process behind the typing-change, as I'm sure it would allow me to both better understand and appreciate it.
(and thank you for your patience with me, because I know I've kind of been sending you a barrage of trivial questions as of late)

All trade evolutions are simply changed to evolving at level 40. I have no idea what happens with slowpoke in this scenario as it has 2 level up evolutions. I should probably just change that but for now slowpoke isn't obtainable through ordinary means.

The XD randomiser already exists. 

The only reason for changing Jynx to fairy type was that there weren't a lot of fairy type pokemon in the game and I needed a good number since there are 5 zones in mt. battle which specialise in fairy types as well as lovrina using mono fairy teams. I chose Jynx simply because like you said, it visually looks like it could be a fairy type.

I actually reverted Jynx to ice/psychic in the previous update though. I changed Jynx's typing years ago before alolan ninetales even existed but now that alolan ninetales is in XG and nobody has had any real problems with its inclusion I felt there was no need for Jynx to be fairy type anymore. I've undone most of the type changes I made in order to make the hack less confusing for those that don't want to read a bunch of documentation just to play.

P.S. No worries. I like questions. ?

4 minutes ago, StarsMmd said:

All trade evolutions are simply changed to evolving at level 40. I have no idea what happens with slowpoke in this scenario as it has 2 level up evolutions. I should probably just change that but for now slowpoke isn't obtainable through ordinary means.

The XD randomiser already exists. 

The only reason for changing Jynx to fairy type was that there weren't a lot of fairy type pokemon in the game and I needed a good number since there are 5 zones in mt. battle which specialise in fairy types as well as lovrina using mono fairy teams. I chose Jynx simply because like you said, it visually looks like it could be a fairy type.

I actually reverted Jynx to ice/psychic in the previous update though. I changed Jynx's typing years ago before alolan ninetales even existed but now that alolan ninetales is in XG and nobody has had any real problems with its inclusion I felt there was no need for Jynx to be fairy type anymore. I've undone most of the type changes I made in order to make the hack less confusing for those that don't want to read a bunch of documentation just to play.

P.S. No worries. I like questions. ?

Cool, thank you for your answers!

Anything to note regarding Gen III Vs. Gen IV+ spread damage?

17 hours ago, tjallan53149 said:

Cool, thank you for your answers!

Anything to note regarding Gen III Vs. Gen IV+ spread damage?

I hadn't realised the spread damage had changed between generations. I'll see what I can do ?

16 hours ago, Slayerspear said:

Where can I find the updated patch?

It's not done yet but should be done tonight.

Just chiming in with a few other things I've noticed and remembered during my off-stream training.

In Mt. Battle Area 8, there was a Dragonite that used Outrage, but it wasn't locked into it, as it went for Aerial Ace immediately after.

Also, Snattle's Porygon2 still has Trickster when it's technically impossible now, in both fights that it's in.

14 minutes ago, PinkOnion said:

Just chiming in with a few other things I've noticed and remembered during my off-stream training.

In Mt. Battle Area 8, there was a Dragonite that used Outrage, but it wasn't locked into it, as it went for Aerial Ace immediately after.

Also, Snattle's Porygon2 still has Trickster when it's technically impossible now, in both fights that it's in.

Yeah outrage has been broken for a while but I have no idea when or why it changed. I'll try and see again though.

Snattle's porygon 2 is an exception and is specifically programmed to have trickster. ?

4 minutes ago, StarsMmd said:

Yeah outrage has been broken for a while but I have no idea when or why it changed. I'll try and see again though.

Snattle's porygon 2 is an exception and is specifically programmed to have trickster. ?

I figured the P2 was probably special, given the team gimmick.

Edited by PinkOnion
Accidental double post.