Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

@StarsMmd

Hey man, game crashes when I try to go to the Oasis Pokespot right after Duking gives me the Pokesnacks at the first one. Just thought I'd drop it in, since I'm enjoying the hack so far and would like to continue. I'm playing version 1.1.0

Edited by charliemew2

Cool to see this hack release a new update! Can't wait to play this game again!

Few questions though:

Ampharos is no longer electric/dragon, it seems? I think this change made more thematic sense because of the mega compared to the fairies(even though I personally liked ghost fairy misdreavus and such). For what it's worth, Sceptile is also part dragon so I was unsure if this was intentional.

Could you separate the documentation from the patch file into it's own individual download? 

Have you received contact from Tux about the save editor?

give zigzagoon extremespeed, yeah? haha

Thanks for all your hard work on this great game.

I love what you're doing with the game. Just a question though:

You said that you're making strides in displaying the proper overworld models for wild Pokémon, which is awesome, but it raises suspicions on what you could accomplish with it.

Is it beyond the system capabilities to load the model as a stationary NPC that when interacted with, triggers a battle akin to a wild Pokémon battle? (ie. Putting a Pokémon at the heart of Pyrite Cave like Mewtwo in Cerulean cave)

I feel like it would add a reason to explore every corner of the game and be rewarded for doing so.

Cheers!

There was a bug in v1.1.0 which caused the game to crash when you reached the oasis pokespot and makes it impossible to progress in the game. This has now been fixed and the download link for v1.1.0 is now for the fixed version. If you downloaded the old version then simply redownload the patch from the same link and apply it to a clean iso.

15 hours ago, wakeandblake said:

I popped in for memory sake, played this a while back and I wanted to maybe replay it. So funny that the day I choose to is the day the update drops. Thanks for all your hard work. Really excited to check out this update and relive a childhood game again. :)

edit: With the second starter being changed and the first shadow pokemon being changed, the old ones (Beldum & Ralts) are named specifically, so that's a small thing that needs to be updated. There could be more situations of this but I noticed it from Aidan and the Battle Sim guy at the beginning. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks I'll get those fixed right away!

14 hours ago, PinkOnion said:

@StarsMmd

Edit: Just managed to get the game running, I'll take a looksee at what I can find.

Good to hear. Will you be streaming again?

12 hours ago, Aurorans said:

Hello, can I possibly make my own hack, or does that require a lot of programming (Which, I know none of... and am too lazy to think of working my brain... I work with user interfaces, not programming languages)

Also, when can I expect a hack tool to drop for Windows? Or is that also out of the question? I can't afford a mac, really.

No programming required with the hack tools. Just clicking buttons mainly.

The main reason I haven't got a windows version out yet is that I haven't had the time. I finish exams in like a week so I'll devote some time to it. 

6 hours ago, charliemew2 said:

@StarsMmd

Hey man, game crashes when I try to go to the Oasis Pokespot right after Duking gives me the Pokesnacks at the first one. Just thought I'd drop it in, since I'm enjoying the hack so far and would like to continue. I'm playing version 1.1.0

Thanks, I've found the issue and I'm fixing it now.

EDIT: It's been fixed now. Simply redownload the v1.1.0 patch using the same link and apply to a clean iso. ?

5 hours ago, Nuxl said:

Cool to see this hack release a new update! Can't wait to play this game again!

Few questions though:

Ampharos is no longer electric/dragon, it seems? I think this change made more thematic sense because of the mega compared to the fairies(even though I personally liked ghost fairy misdreavus and such). For what it's worth, Sceptile is also part dragon so I was unsure if this was intentional.

Could you separate the documentation from the patch file into it's own individual download? 

Have you received contact from Tux about the save editor?

give zigzagoon extremespeed, yeah? haha

Thanks for all your hard work on this great game.

I didn't feel ampharos gained much from the typing and I want to limit the type changes as much as possible. They're usually fine when people read up on the documentation and know to expect them but if not the changes can be quite confusing.

It's easier to have both downloads in one. Also, when they were separate a lot of people were asking if documentation was available. Like this, you don't have to go looking for it if you didn't know.

No word from Tux. I'll work on something myself when I have a bit more free time though.

5 hours ago, ShinyHunterTyson said:

I love what you're doing with the game. Just a question though:

You said that you're making strides in displaying the proper overworld models for wild Pokémon, which is awesome, but it raises suspicions on what you could accomplish with it.

Is it beyond the system capabilities to load the model as a stationary NPC that when interacted with, triggers a battle akin to a wild Pokémon battle? (ie. Putting a Pokémon at the heart of Pyrite Cave like Mewtwo in Cerulean cave)

I feel like it would add a reason to explore every corner of the game and be rewarded for doing so.

Cheers!

I like the way you think.

I already have a few of those in the game ?

2 hours ago, Hecto said:

According to the change log, Colosseum battles were set to singles except for Mirror B. Does that include Orre Colosseum, too? Why the change, in general?

It was a very recent decision actually and I didn't give it too much thought. I just figured it would be a nice way to mix up the game play a little. I also found that it's a lot easier to design strategies that the AI can use well in single battles. In doubles, even if you give the AI synergy between the pokemon, there's no guarantee they'll use the right moves on the same turn. In singles you only have to worry about what one pokemon is doing at any point in time. 

Edited by StarsMmd

6 hours ago, StarsMmd said:

Good to hear. Will you be streaming again?

I'll do what I can when I'm free, I'll probably do a few hours tonight, but most of the rest of the week I'm busy with training for the new job.

Already got a team in mind as well, I spent a few hours looking into it last night to try to make a team that wouldn't involve the post-game Pokemon. (I like Latias a lot, it was a hard decision to cut it out.)

Edited by PinkOnion

Hmm... I'm not really sure how I feel about the single battles for Colosseums. I decided to give it a test shot (my postgame save file was compatible enough to function) and I went to Orre Colosseum, and you made those single battle, too. It's interesting, but... I don't know. I always felt like Colosseum shined the most for its focus on Doubles, and to have the hardest challenge of the game become a Singles format doesn't sit right. I'm totally biased--Double Battles are my favorite, and it's a big reason why I like the Orre series so much to begin with.

Would there be any way to make this sort of thing configurable? Like an additional prompt, "What battle format would you like to fight in?" or something like that. Alternatively, what bit do I have to flip to patch it back to Doubles myself? I'm hoping changing a format for a particular set of battles is as simple as changing a few flags...

Pokemon XG v1.1.1 is available for download. This fixes some smaller bugs in v1.1.0 and is compatible with save files started on v1.1.0

6 hours ago, Hecto said:

Hmm... I'm not really sure how I feel about the single battles for Colosseums. I decided to give it a test shot (my postgame save file was compatible enough to function) and I went to Orre Colosseum, and you made those single battle, too. It's interesting, but... I don't know. I always felt like Colosseum shined the most for its focus on Doubles, and to have the hardest challenge of the game become a Singles format doesn't sit right. I'm totally biased--Double Battles are my favorite, and it's a big reason why I like the Orre series so much to begin with.

Would there be any way to make this sort of thing configurable? Like an additional prompt, "What battle format would you like to fight in?" or something like that. Alternatively, what bit do I have to flip to patch it back to Doubles myself? I'm hoping changing a format for a particular set of battles is as simple as changing a few flags...

Remind me on the weekend and I'll cook up a patch for that. Unfortunately most of the game files are compressed so it's not as simple as just changing bytes in a hex editor. You have to take the file out, decompress it, then change the bytes and then recompress the file and put it back in ?

On 5/14/2018 at 3:59 AM, StarsMmd said:

I didn't feel ampharos gained much from the typing and I want to limit the type changes as much as possible. They're usually fine when people read up on the documentation and know to expect them but if not the changes can be quite confusing.

It's easier to have both downloads in one. Also, when they were separate a lot of people were asking if documentation was available. Like this, you don't have to go looking for it if you didn't know.

No word from Tux. I'll work on something myself when I have a bit more free time though.

I see. I will miss the unique typing for sure(having a slow, bulky dragon where most other dragons are speedy and offensive is a change of pace). I do think it's weird that Sceptile and Altaria have the unique changes and that Ampharos doesn't though, even though all 3 have megas that give alternate typings, but for simplicity's sake, that's fair.

Gotcha. I only asked so that I could download the files on mobile without needing to download the patch.

Sounds great!

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Had another question; you mentioned Follow Me was removed for Wide Guard because of technical limitations. I always thought Follow Me was really cool for boosting moves. Now, a few months later, do you think it's possible to include both in the game or is it still one or the other?

Edited by Nuxl

Hi there. I made an account here just because of this mod. I think it is really awesome that you took one of the few 3d Pokemon games and managed to mod it so thoroughly. I am super impressed, and I think this adds a lot to the game in terms of making it more replayable and enjoyable.

But I really have to express my concern that it appears you cranked the difficulty of this game to 14 out of 10 or something. I am currently at Pyrite Town just before I need to go back inside and rescue the people in there from whoever is attacking them. Up until this point, I thought the game was reasonably challenging but nothing unbearable. However, I am having a really hard time dealing with the trainers in Pyrite. It seems that between the Cipher Lab and Pyrite there is a jump of about 5 or 6 levels. The same thing happens at Mount Battle. The six goons at Mount Battle have Pokemon that are level 17-19, while the trainers in Pyrite and Mount Battle all seem to have Pokemon that are level 25. That aside, I can't help but feel desperately out-gunned by every trainer because all of their Pokemon appear to have overall much higher stats than my Pokemon. They both usually act first, are able to 1 or 2 shot (in 1 round) any Pokemon I send out that isn't specifically designed to be a tank. This is making it very frustrating to level up any of my Pokemon--like getting my Kirlia to Level 30 so that it can evolve. My Bagon finally achieved Level 30, but then it fainted so I seem to have missed it being able to level up.

I totally acknowledge and respect that this game seems to require players to build teams and battle in a way much closer to competitive Pokemon battles online, but the extremely overpowered attacks coming from every enemy while even my super effective attacks fail to OHKO is upsetting.

Also, something weird I noticed going from 1.07 to 1.1.1 is that my movement stick on an Xbox One controller now has a weird glitch. Holding too far on down actually sends my character in the opposite direction. This never happened before I updated, and my controls have not changed. Not sue if that has anything to do with the rom hack though.

14 hours ago, StarsMmd said:

Pokemon XG v1.1.1 is available for download. This fixes some smaller bugs in v1.1.0 and is compatible with save files started on v1.1.0

Remind me on the weekend and I'll cook up a patch for that. Unfortunately most of the game files are compressed so it's not as simple as just changing bytes in a hex editor. You have to take the file out, decompress it, then change the bytes and then recompress the file and put it back in ?

Is it a similar method to using GCRebuilder to extract and rebuild, and the other peripheral tools associated with changing around the assembly? Because if so, I'm familiar with the process.

But either way, thank you for looking into adding in that functionality~ I think it'll add some replayability, too, being able to switch from singles to doubles for Colosseums, particularly endgame.

Loving this game so far. I do have an issue, however, running a good number of areas at 100% speed for some reason. My computer is more than capable of handing games like these and I have all of the recommended settings, but somehow there are few areas where I don't lag.

The worst and most notable area would be the Agate Village shrine. While most other "laggy" areas (Agate Villiage, the first Cipher Hideout south of Mt Battle, docks of Gateon Port) typically drop to 75-80% speed, the shrine falls to about 50%. What's more, the purification scene plummets to a whole 15 frames and runs at 20% speed, making it an absolute disaster to purify anything. If not an issue of the game, could there be anything in the settings to resolve this?

- Playing 1.1.1 on Dolphin 5.0

30 minutes ago, BeefyBidoof said:

Loving this game so far. I do have an issue, however, running a good number of areas at 100% speed for some reason. My computer is more than capable of handing games like these and I have all of the recommended settings, but somehow there are few areas where I don't lag.

The worst and most notable area would be the Agate Village shrine. While most other "laggy" areas (Agate Villiage, the first Cipher Hideout south of Mt Battle, docks of Gateon Port) typically drop to 75-80% speed, the shrine falls to about 50%. What's more, the purification scene plummets to a whole 15 frames and runs at 20% speed, making it an absolute disaster to purify anything. If not an issue of the game, could there be anything in the settings to resolve this?

During my own attempts to play this game in it's previous versions, I found that the later beta builds were actually really good for speed.

Currently using 5.0-7482.

Also as a heads up to anyone who is interested in seeing this game, I'll be streaming at around 2pm GMT today.

I'm kinda stuck at end game. Failed to catch Salamence and Snorlax in battle. Went back to rematch to try and catch them. Only salamence was there. After catching that if I go back to rematch again he will have no team and after i try to attack the battle will end. Snorlax is last shadow pokemon I need to catch before battle on the light house.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:26 AM, Nuxl said:

EDIT: Had another question; you mentioned Follow Me was removed for Wide Guard because of technical limitations. I always thought Follow Me was really cool for boosting moves. Now, a few months later, do you think it's possible to include both in the game or is it still one or the other?

I theorised a strategy to reimplement follow me months ago but it's low priority right now unfortunately. 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:31 AM, LoyalLedger said:

Hi there. I made an account here just because of this mod. I think it is really awesome that you took one of the few 3d Pokemon games and managed to mod it so thoroughly. I am super impressed, and I think this adds a lot to the game in terms of making it more replayable and enjoyable.

I totally acknowledge and respect that this game seems to require players to build teams and battle in a way much closer to competitive Pokemon battles online, but the extremely overpowered attacks coming from every enemy while even my super effective attacks fail to OHKO is upsetting.

Also, something weird I noticed going from 1.07 to 1.1.1 is that my movement stick on an Xbox One controller now has a weird glitch. Holding too far on down actually sends my character in the opposite direction. This never happened before I updated, and my controls have not changed. Not sue if that has anything to do with the rom hack though.

There are a lot of strategies that can make the game surprisingly easy. There are items like the assault vest, eviolite and aura filter which can boost your defenses. Moves like fake out and wide guard can prevent attacks. You have access to intimidate, snarl, burning moves, etc. to decrease the opponents atk/sp.atk. you can put opponents to sleep or protect on their attack and then use disable. 

If you're hoping for less strategy there's always the option to train at mt.battle or through colosseum battles. Especially with pokemon like kirlia and bagon which have low defenses until they evolve.

I've had the gamepad issue before and I read somewhere it's a problem with Pokémon XD specifically. 

On 5/16/2018 at 5:57 AM, Hecto said:

Is it a similar method to using GCRebuilder to extract and rebuild, and the other peripheral tools associated with changing around the assembly? Because if so, I'm familiar with the process.

But either way, thank you for looking into adding in that functionality~ I think it'll add some replayability, too, being able to switch from singles to doubles for Colosseums, particularly endgame.

After extracting the files, you need to get the archives out with GCRebuilder and then extract and decompress the files in the archives using quickBMS. It's definitely doable by hand. There's one file that contains most of the interesting data and once you've extracted it once you can just modify it and whenever you want to put it back in you run a BMS script to import it into the archive and the reimport the archive to the iso using GCRebuilder.

14 hours ago, BeefyBidoof said:

Try checking your graphics settings. There are a lot of options there which affect performance significantly.

13 hours ago, windwakemeupinside said:

Oh shit, an update? Thanks man! Will have to give this a fresh look now [I'm probably going to restart my save and stuff.] Thanks in advance, this is an awesome hack.

Thanks! ?

15 minutes ago, Karametrachat said:

I'm kinda stuck at end game. Failed to catch Salamence and Snorlax in battle. Went back to rematch to try and catch them. Only salamence was there. After catching that if I go back to rematch again he will have no team and after i try to attack the battle will end. Snorlax is last shadow pokemon I need to catch before battle on the light house.

I'm assuming you're playing on version 1.0.7-2 or lower. I believe this issue is fixed in v1.0.7-3 which is compatible with the same save file ?

1 hour ago, StarsMmd said:

I'm assuming you're playing on version 1.0.7-2 or lower. I believe this issue is fixed in v1.0.7-3 which is compatible with the same save file ?

Im actually on 1.1.1. Downloaded it the day it was posted and started new game from that.

31 minutes ago, Karametrachat said:

Im actually on 1.1.1. Downloaded it the day it was posted and started new game from that.

Yeah my bad. I made some new code to handle shadow pokemon generation but forgot to take out the old code. I'll upload a new update tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know.

I typed  a random Pokemon game on google because i was bored and i found this game before i signed up to this website and i played it for a while and it was really good very fun game to play this @StarsMmd for putting so much effort into making this game and others that helped him i recommend it to other people to play the game as well.

thanks again @StarsMmd for the Game

Much appreciated 

6 hours ago, No2h said:

For some reason my 2nd starter is Zigzagoon instead of Beldum? Was this a change that I'm not seeing in the patch notes or did I mess up somehow lol

No no, Beldum was replaced with Zigzagoon for 1.1.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:45 PM, PokemonMaster899 said:

I typed  a random Pokemon game on google because i was bored and i found this game before i signed up to this website and i played it for a while and it was really good very fun game to play this @StarsMmd for putting so much effort into making this game and others that helped him i recommend it to other people to play the game as well.

thanks again @StarsMmd for the Game

Much appreciated 

I really appreciate that. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Karametrachat said:

@StarsMmd I am also having a glitch where Stone Edge is being deflected by the magic bounce ability.

Thank you for letting me know. This has been fixed in v1.1.2 which is now available for download ?

• Like 1

@StarsMmd Wow, I can't express my gratitude for how much effort you put into making one of my absolute favorite childhood games as amazing as you did- I may not have mentioned it in my first post, but this is seriously the type of ROM hack I desired for years that I never thought would actually come to fruition- thank you again!

Additionally, I greatly appreciate the time and effort you take to respond to people's comments on here- most ROM hack threads I see lose creator involvement after a few months, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see that you're still working to make this hack even better despite how much work you've already put into it!

Thank you for letting me know which Pokemon have been removed- I've removed them from my table.

Were this game not specifically designed to team build exclusively for double-battles, I'd say making the Colosseums single battles is pretty cool, but since I often use them to both train and grind for money, a lot of my Pokemon are kind of garbage in single-battle format; Orre Colosseum in particular being the "Competitive Pokemon"/Battle Tower-esk Colosseum doesn't make much sense as a Single Battle Colosseum since you're spending the entire game refining a team specifically designed for Doubles.  I'd like Realgam to stay Singles though; the point of Realgam is that it's an escape from the main game and offers things like Battle Bingo and Battle CDs to break from the game's monotony, so offering single battles there certainly helps it fulfill that role of being unique, especially while you're still working on Bingo and the CDs.

Finally, I meant to ask this question quite a while ago but forgot to do so- is there any way to lower EVs in this game?  Such as EV-lowering berries or an EV-resetting NPC?  I find myself uncomfortable using non-renewable Pokemon in this game (virtually anything that can't be caught at a PokeSpot) or using my Shadow Pokemon after purification (because I'm pretty sure shadow Pokemon don't accumilate EVs, just experience points, but please correct me if I'm wrong) because I don't want to mess up their EV spreads, especially if they have good natures.  In fact, I generally only use Shadow Pokemon if their natures are garbage because I don't care about their EV spreads at that point.  Otherwise, my team generally consists of poor-natured PokeSpot encounters, which still makes for an entertaining gameplay experience, but there are some awesome Pokemon I'd like to use without the fear of accidentally making them nearly unusable for something like the Orre Colosseum down the road.

There's more I could say about potential mechanical errors, but this post is already running quite long and they're all pretty minor.  Let me know if you'd like me to compile a log of potential errors I find when playing through the most recent patch and I can send you a word document outlining them if you'd like; if not,  I simply appreciate you giving us such an amazing game!

• Like 1
  • Ditto 1