Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

I'm still waiting for him to reappear with carvanha. I'll let you know when/if he appears

The pokespot appearance can have up to 2 shadow pokemon (colosseums only have one each) so it doesn't seem likely although not impossible. I'll add it as a known bug for now but do let me know. Cheers.

The pokespot appearance can have up to 2 shadow pokemon (colosseums only have one each) so it doesn't seem likely although not impossible. I'll add it as a known bug for now but do let me know. Cheers.

I don't think he will appear. I specifically remember I didn't get the "x has fled somewhere" message for Carvanha. But i just brushed it off as a glitch having to do with added shadows

I don't think he will appear. I specifically remember I didn't get the "x has fled somewhere" message for Carvanha. But i just brushed it off as a glitch having to do with added shadows

I see. I was pretty sure I got that message when I was testing which was why I thought it would work fine. I'll have to check again.

Are all the new shadows mandatory throughout the story e.g scripted Cipher Peon encounters or can be "missable" like the two trainers in Gateon Port?

They're all on required battles so you can't miss them by accident.

When I try to patch with NUPS, I get this message:

"The patch doesn't match the file.

Patch anyway?"

You just need to toggle the option to Ignore before you attempt to patch, and it'll work fine.

On another note, yesterday's stream went pretty well, we cleared all the way up to the halfway point of Key Lair, managing to get lucky and obtaining two Shinies in Grimer and Golbat. Though Golbat was a real pain in the ass to evolve.

All I was really finding was minor text errors that existed in other versions.

There's one with Eagun in front of the Relic Stone where he talks about the Shadow Pokemon being ready to be purified, it comes up as "Yourshadow".

Some weird spacing in the last line Naps/Mark has in the Cipher Desert Lab when he refers to Shadow Pokemon.

And Mirror B.'s name isn't spaced when he's talking, only in the battles itself.

Encounter a weird, but nice bug at the top of Key Lair.

I caught a Pokemon as the AI was going to switch it out, due to stat drops, and it prevented his Pokemon from switching in, turning the battle into a 2vs1 situation.

Battle in question is Arcanine/Exploud, caught Exploud as it was trying to switch to Slowbro, switch never happened, Slowbro didn't come in until Arcanine was dealt with.

Managed to duplicate the bug on Citadark Isle's first trainer with Gyarados and Crawdaunt.

Edited by PinkOnion

When I try to patch with NUPS, I get this message:

"The patch doesn't match the file.

Patch anyway?"

I haven't heard of this before but hopefully Onion's suggestion works. Are you sure you're patching onto a clean ISO?

You just need to toggle the option to Ignore before you attempt to patch, and it'll work fine.

On another note, yesterday's stream went pretty well, we cleared all the way up to the halfway point of Key Lair, managing to get lucky and obtaining two Shinies in Grimer and Golbat. Though Golbat was a real pain in the ass to evolve.

All I was really finding was minor text errors that existed in other versions.

There's one with Eagun in front of the Relic Stone where he talks about the Shadow Pokemon being ready to be purified, it comes up as "Yourshadow".

Some weird spacing in the last line Naps/Mark has in the Cipher Desert Lab when he refers to Shadow Pokemon.

And Mirror B.'s name isn't spaced when he's talking, only in the battles itself.

That sounds awesome. Shame I missed it. Been trying to find a solution to the new shadow pokemon not reappearing because they definitely should. I still have proved for sure that they don't reappear. Hopping onto your stream now! I'll get those sorted out thanks.

Encounter a weird, but nice bug at the top of Key Lair.

I caught a Pokemon as the AI was going to switch it out, due to stat drops, and it prevented his Pokemon from switching in, turning the battle into a 2vs1 situation.

Battle in question is Arcanine/Exploud, caught Exploud as it was trying to switch to Slowbro, switch never happened, Slowbro didn't come in until Arcanine was dealt with.

Managed to duplicate the bug on Citadark Isle's first trainer with Gyarados and Crawdaunt.

It's a safe assumption that the programmers didn't notice that bug since the AI would never switch out those pokemon with the default AI for those trainers. It's very interesting.

Hey! Going through the game right now in a faint = death run, literally right at the beginning of Shadow Pokemon Lab.

I noticed that:

Some of the Pokemon didn't come with the plates that were in v9.0. The only Shadow that came with the plate was Treecko(Meadow), but i distinctly recall Mudkip, Poochyena, Bagon, Electrike, and Torchic having each type plate of which they don't. Is this an oversight or intentional?

Thanks in advance.

Hey! Going through the game right now in a faint = death run, literally right at the beginning of Shadow Pokemon Lab.

I noticed that:

Some of the Pokemon didn't come with the plates that were in v9.0. The only Shadow that came with the plate was Treecko(Meadow), but i distinctly recall Mudkip, Poochyena, Bagon, Electrike, and Torchic having each type plate of which they don't. Is this an oversight or intentional?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah they're meant to be removed. In fact I accidentally missed treeko whoops. You now get them on pretty much the last pokemon of that type you encounter before the bosses at the end. Makes a bit more sense that way.

It took a while because I had to progress in my save file to find a new shadow pokemon but I managed to get a two of them to show up with mirror b. I think especially since you didn't get the message that it fled maybe you had started the save file on a previous verison? Either that or I made a mistake on just carvanha.

Edit: In fact I didn't even start a completely new save. I probably just missed something on carvanha or you just needed to give it more time. I'll check to confirm

Edit2: Knocked out carvanha and Mirror B caught it! Looks like everything works after all :)

Edited by StarsMmd

It took a while because I had to progress in my save file to find a new shadow pokemon but I managed to get a two of them to show up with mirror b. I think especially since you didn't get the message that it fled maybe you had started the save file on a previous verison? Either that or I made a mistake on just carvanha.

Edit: In fact I didn't even start a completely new save. I probably just missed something on carvanha or you just needed to give it more time. I'll check to confirm

Edit2: Knocked out carvanha and Mirror B caught it! Looks like everything works after all :)

I re-patched it, and everything was fine after that. Sorry for worrying you. Must've been a patching error

I re-patched it, and everything was fine after that. Sorry for worrying you. Must've been a patching error

Hahaha that's okay! I should have confirmed 100% in the first place but I wanted to upload the update out as soon as possible. Glad you sorted it out ;)

When I try to play the patched file in Dolphin (tried multiple versions), it crashes right after the Nintendo logo fades. Unpatched files work fine.

Which patching program are you using? Also are you using a clean NTSC ISO?

NUPS. and yes.

Maybe you need a different ISO. The starting ISO has to be indentical to the one I used. All I can say is I googled it. Make sure it's not one that has had the file size reduced by wiping the trash bytes or whatever it's called. Did you get the ISO recently or is it one you've had before?

Maybe you need a different ISO. The starting ISO has to be indentical to the one I used. All I can say is I googled it. Make sure it's not one that has had the file size reduced by wiping the trash bytes or whatever it's called. Did you get the ISO recently or is it one you've had before?

Got the ISO recently. I thought that might be the issue (I mentioned that issue in the patching process) but it ran fine by itself so I figured it was fine. But if you configured the patch file for a particular ISO config than that could be the issue. I'll try another.

Got the ISO recently. I thought that might be the issue (I mentioned that issue in the patching process) but it ran fine by itself so I figured it was fine. But if you configured the patch file for a particular ISO config than that could be the issue. I'll try another.

Oh yeah you mentioned that the program said it was a different file. It shouldn't be too hard to find the right one though. :)

Finished up the second run of the game to what could be considered 100%, and I'm very satisfied with the experience as a whole.

Apart from the couple of minor text bug stuffs, the mod was a nice challenge with basically every Pokemon I saw being usable, movesetwise.

Big fan of the shiny rate increase, as we saw plenty of Shinies on the stream, 5 catchable ones across both runs, and a lot of salty trainer ones that I couldn't obtain.

First run's team was Gardevoir, Jolteon, Blissey, Typhlosion, Breloom and Donphan.

Gardevoir was just all around solid for the team, with Jolteon there just for it's speed.

Blissey became pretty stupid to kill once it got enough to Defense, the only reason it ever died was due to Shadow Smash criticals. The backbone.

Typhlosion was okay, but Lava Plume just felt really weak. Breloom became super good once it got Spore, but it really needed speed support to function well. Donphan was that speed support, but it was really lackluster for me, since it usually just died to Shadow Burst constantly.

Second run(100%) team was Lanturn, Jirachi, Jumpluff, Entei, Regice and Crobat.

Lanturn only came in really late in the game, but it worked so much better than the Vaporeon I was using up to that point, barring the ground weakness.

Jirachi was kind of a mixed bag, it either worked or it didn't. Was really good for catching Shadows when it was still Shadow due to Chill.

Jumpluff was really helpful when it actually hit it's status attacks, and Moonblast was nice for chip damage. Also the only decent thing I had to damage the million Swamperts that appeared in the post-game.

Entei ended up spawning Adamant, so I took it up, and it really pulled it's weight once it eventually learned a Fire attack to use.

Regice was the last minute addition because I was missing a 6th, and it's ability to deal with most of the Dragons was a great boon.

Crobat was really powerful once it actually evolved. (I hate you Golbat.) Also had access to Fake Out in this mod, as well as Poison Jab for the Fairies.

Game had plenty of amusing moments on the stream(Surfing Regice, Triple Focus Band Sneasel), and I wouldn't be opposed to a third run through of the game once some time passes, with a completely different set of 6.

I would definitely recommend giving this mod a shot if you can run it on your computer through Dolphin, as it's so much better than the original Gale of Darkness.

Thanks for all your hard work up to this point Stars, and thanks for the work to come.

c4c8a7a999b341afbd211b689168443e_zpsjtimvmkd.png

Oh yeah you mentioned that the program said it was a different file. It shouldn't be too hard to find the right one though. :)

OK so patching went fine and I got to the title screen. Will start playing later. Thanks!

BTW I'm a programmer and am interested about how you created the patch...