Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

Any possibility to make Gyarados a dragon type similarly to Ampharos and Sceptile instead of it's flying typing? To me, it has always made more sense for it to be dragon instead of flying. Just an idea of mine, no need to change it if you'd rather keep it flying. Haven't spoiled myself if Gyarados is actually obtainable or not but even as an opponent it would be nice.

I get a lot of requests like this but I don't want to change too much because it makes the game harder to pick up. Even the few changes that are already in the game are hard enough to remember. Ampharos and Sceptile have dragon type megas which makes them more obvious. Hack tools will be released this summer though so feel free to modify the game as you please when they do :)

Did you change any shiny values in this game? Because I just found a shiny Eevee the first time i started this up...and of course it's on an emluator.

Yeah the shiny rate is around the same as in gen 6 using the masuda method with the shiny charm. It's still extremely lucky though! A lot of people will be really jealous.

Yeah the shiny rate is around the same as in gen 6 using the masuda method with the shiny charm. It's still extremely lucky though! A lot of people will be really jealous.

Well, what are you gonna do? I never went into this game expecting to trade anything over so it's no problem, I was just so surprised when I saw it lol.

Well, what are you gonna do? I never went into this game expecting to trade anything over so it's no problem, I was just so surprised when I saw it lol.

It's not a problem, it was intended. Everybody likes shinies after all. You couldn't get them in the original xD so I made them available again in XG.

I get a lot of requests like this but I don't want to change too much because it makes the game harder to pick up. Even the few changes that are already in the game are hard enough to remember. Ampharos and Sceptile have dragon type megas which makes them more obvious. Hack tools will be released this summer though so feel free to modify the game as you please when they do :)

Guessed as much. Well it's fine either way.

Thought I'd post the spoils of the stream here to prove that you can be lucky enough to get something nice.

Can't wait for the new update so I can do another run of this mod.

bb02cc5a86c6181902ebd7cdba8abea0_zpstksxzej3.png

There's only really one issue I have with this Mod so far, and it's to do with some of the later Shadows, though I suspect the new update is fixing that issue.

Thought I'd post the spoils of the stream here to prove that you can be lucky enough to get something nice.

Can't wait for the new update so I can do another run of this mod.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13471[/ATTACH]

There's only really one issue I have with this Mod so far, and it's to do with some of the later Shadows, though I suspect the new update is fixing that issue.

Nice stream dude! I can't seem to open the attachment though?

I've also noticed one odd thing with Shadow Soul when on an enemy's moveset, they don't use it at all.

I'm guessing it's because it has the Dream Eater animation and they're checking for Sleep status to use it?

They usually just spam their strongest move. Shadow soul has low base power so they usually prefer the other move.

I'm more talking about the first fight with Lovrina, where the Shadow only has Soul and Sky, and does nothing but spam Sky for the entire fight, it's weird.

The AI varies for different trainers. At orre colosseum it's really good. For easy trainer battles in the story it's usually just random without any kind of logic. It's definitely just crappy AI and nothing to do with the animation. The AI is something I will be looking into later once other areas of the game are sorted but for now I'm just working with whatever was in the original.

Hello! I finished the main game!

Excluding Orre colosseum and MT battle which will be soon.

So i played already your Colosseum Hack, and you hoped on my stream fews days ago :P

I will give my review to the game in itself.

Overall the game is well done, i did find it slightly easier than colosseum hack, in the sense that the level curve was less drastic.

I would prefer more diversity in the opposing team in general, and have less monotype type of battle. Even if i understand the idea of typical trainer using certain types, i remember more varety and very few "same pokemon" in colosseum hack for example, i think it's more enjoyable, i like the idea that in it's the kind of game where you can meet almost 386 differents kinds of pokemon.

My final team

Kyogre level 63 i took the time to purify it, mostly because i like it, and i planned a weather team from the beginning of the game.

Ferag 62 this pokemon was surprisigly good, i didn't expect it to last the whole game with it,

Gardevoir 64, Lucky egg made his life really easy, snorlax 55 i only took it for the final battle for yawn, Shadow articuno and Lugia because defense.

So overall my focus was always about weather team, so i used a lot of ninetailes, Politoad.

I had a lot of terrible nature that discouraged me from some pokemon (adamant gengar lol), but that's part of the fun.

Speaking about weather pokemon, concerning Politoad, i would slightly raise his level, because when you meet him the first time(no snag machine), you can't catch him, and when you see him again you took few levels.. make him slightly harder to use.

I also almost never used any TM, because most of the moveset are very good, thinking about i don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, I was thinking about the kind of moves they usually have and maybe a slightly weird moveset can be interesting, in the sense that you feel more implicated to add all the good moves you want(which are easily available will all the TM) to your pokemon. I never noticed this could be a problem until now, but having too good moves right off the bat makes it less personal.

I was very happy that you edited the Orre colosseum, this make the end game interesting, they seem to still have some issue sometime with the AI, but overall much harder than the main battle.

The shiny rate is right in my opinion, in the sense that you can meet some but that's quite rare, i saw 2 of them, but not shadow.

Now there is one thing i am wondering if it's possible to integrate, and that's music change.

In the multiplayer mode there are 3 tracks that are not used in the main game, i was wondering if it's possible to actually put them in some battle of the main game.

This could add some variety and create even more tension for end game for example, and also for the Orre colosseum.

I have to admit i have a slight preference for colosseum, mostly due to the fact that xD Pack a lots of shadow pokemon in the end, so i did not feel that connected to my new teamate and i don't feel like i have seen enough different pokemon which kind of increase the "feeling of adventure"

1Overall the game is well done, i did find it slightly easier than colosseum hack, in the sense that the level curve was less drastic.

I would prefer more diversity in the opposing team in general, and have less monotype type of battle. Even if i understand the idea of typical trainer using certain types, i remember more varety and very few "same pokemon" in colosseum hack for example, i think it's more enjoyable, i like the idea that in it's the kind of game where you can meet almost 386 differents kinds of pokemon.

2My final team...

3I also almost never used any TM, because most of the moveset are very good, thinking about i don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, I was thinking about the kind of moves they usually have and maybe a slightly weird moveset can be interesting, in the sense that you feel more implicated to add all the good moves you want(which are easily available will all the TM) to your pokemon. I never noticed this could be a problem until now, but having too good moves right off the bat makes it less personal.

4Now there is one thing i am wondering if it's possible to integrate, and that's music change.

In the multiplayer mode there are 3 tracks that are not used in the main game, i was wondering if it's possible to actually put them in some battle of the main game.

This could add some variety and create even more tension for end game for example, and also for the Orre colosseum.

5I have to admit i have a slight preference for colosseum, mostly due to the fact that xD Pack a lots of shadow pokemon in the end, so i did not feel that connected to my new teamate and i don't feel like i have seen enough different pokemon which kind of increase the "feeling of adventure"

This is going to be a long one!

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it. I've numbered your points above.

A few things here. First of all, each section of the story features different themes. Some are monotype while some focus on certain team archetypes like weather or stall. I think it's necessary because it gives the game more character and the themes for the admins and the peons leading up to them all reflect their roles in the game. Examples: For example, lovrina is meant to be easier (She was harder at first but it made the start of the game unnecessarily long. It's a lot harder to grind at that point in the game and grinding early game is really boring too. You also have a lot fewer team options available and it's still difficult to purify shadow pokemon. So trust me, you don't want her any harder). The battles in phenac are inspired by "heatah fajita" for those who know of it. To summarise, the pokemon's moves are specifically chosen to be weird and catch their opponents off guard like special sharpedo or offensive slowking. This ties in with the deception involved in replacing the whole city with imposters and the player is constantly being caught off guard by trainers they thought were innocent citizens. I am eventually going to update the game text to go into more depth about the psyche of the admins and their underlings but I am focusing on gameplay for now. You'll notice that lovrina has a new flavour at the beginning but at citadark isle she is as she was in vanilla xD. Text editing is a time consuming process but at the end it will all make a lot more sense in terms of the story. Otherwise you might as well just be battling randomly generated trainers in battle tower or something; the game just loses personality. A big theme in XG's story will be how people are still fearful of the snag machine after the events of 5 years ago, especially now with rumours of team snagem's return so trainers in orre use weaker pokemon to avoid having their prized mons snagged. So lovrina for example uses weak pokemon at the beginning but uses her full strength at citadark isle.

Secondly, just in terms of development, it takes a hefty amount of time to come up with trainer teams. It's a lot more work than it seems and then to do it for every single trainer in the game is tough. Having themes makes it a lot easier to make the teams. There was a point when I had a lot of coursework and stuff and would only get through around 10 trainers a week and I had around 400 to do. I actually spent a lot of time on the trainers in mausoleum and crafted each pokemon no matter how irrelevant the trainer was. However, I found that it was a waste of time, partly because the AI didn't would just spam one move and ignore the rest of the move set. More troubling though was that pokemon are usually one or two hit KOd. Most pokemon would be KOd before they even got off a move. After all the time I spent on the trainers in colosseum, I didn't even see most of their move sets in game. It's quite heartbreaking really. It just isn't worth the time at all.

Pokemon games are inherently easy, regardless of the trainers using one type or random typings. The only way to make the game harder is to make the player have to grind for levels (which can get boring) and once they grind enough the game just gets easy again anyway.

2. I like to build my team as I go along based on the one I get with good natures. It helps keep the game fresh each time you play. I'll always have my biases towards certain pokemon but there are enough pokemon that I can afford to forgo the ones with bad natures. A big factor in making the level jumps was that it gives an incentive to get new pokemon in your team. You can always train up your team to keep up if you feel that strongly about them but it also means that it's easy to throw new pokemon in which is something that rarely happens in colo/xd. I played vanilla colosseum many, many times and I never really used raikou simply because by the time you got it, it was a lower level than everything else. Basically just about anything is viable so your team always has room to grow.

3. Since gen III TMs are one time use only and I couldn't distribute more TMs outside of putting them on shadow pokemon I gave the pokemon full movesets by level up. Like in my response to 2, I wanted as many pokemon as possible to be viable. I also didn't want the player having to worry about whether they should save earthquake for a later pokemon or use it on a pokemon they might not keep until the end. However, I recently learned how to manipulate the pokemart data and I'm a lot better with the scripts so that isn't a concern anymore. I actually spent yesterday updating all the level up moves of all the obtainable pokemon so that is already dealt with for the next version.

4. The music is something that I've been thinking about recently and I will definitely be looking into it further once XG is a bit more stable. It's a low priority right now but I'm pretty sure it's a really, really easy thing to do.

The shadow pokemon formula wasn't made for games like this. The original shadow pokemon were nice for pokedex completion in ruby/sapphire so issues like packing lots of shadow pokemon at the end were actually beneficial. In a game like this where pokedex completion isn't a factor, catching and purifying shadow pokemon can get really tedious and tends to lack merit.

I had such a hard time choosing just around 50 pokemon in colosseum because no matter what I picked I felt like I'd missed out on so many important pokemon. In XG, I still have the problem that pokemon feel left out. I get a lot of comments from people asking for certain mons which I always knew was inevitable. Despite this, the game still feels heavily packed with shadow pokemon, especially at citadark isle. I'm adding more shadow pokemon in the next version and I really don't know if it's the best move. We'll see how it goes. The issue is, outside of the pokemon you actually end up using (which is usually around like 6-10 in one playthrough) any other shadow pokemon you encounter is just a chore. As cool as it is to have all the regis in the game, if you don't use them, they actually just make the game more tedious by adding more low catch rate snags which take a lot of time. Ideally, the game would only have around 50 shadow pokemon but then a lot of people would miss their favourite mons and be disappointed. If you got to tailor the shadow mons to the taste of just one or two people then it would work well.

You might wanna edit two of the duel square members pokemons. I went to EV train there and most of them have pure single ev yields for the specific stat except two. Bodybuilder Tommy has a Wartortle that gives 1 sp.defense ev and 1 defense ev instead of only sp.defense so someone with only sp.defense should replace her, for example the evolution Blastoise which gives more ev overall and only sp.defense. The second trainer is Chaser Tammy who has a Shelgon that gives defense ev's instead of attack like everyone else on her team. You can swap that with either evolution, bagon or salamence who both give attack ev's or something completely different.

You might wanna edit two of the duel square members pokemons. I went to EV train there and most of them have pure single ev yields for the specific stat except two. Bodybuilder Tommy has a Wartortle that gives 1 sp.defense ev and 1 defense ev instead of only sp.defense so someone with only sp.defense should replace her, for example the evolution Blastoise which gives more ev overall and only sp.defense. The second trainer is Chaser Tammy who has a Shelgon that gives defense ev's instead of attack like everyone else on her team. You can swap that with either evolution, bagon or salamence who both give attack ev's or something completely different.

They use the evolved forms if you rebattle them towards the end of the game.

I noticed you put a donation link in your sig and sent you a little something ;D. Also, where can I find update 0.9.4? or is it not ready yet? Thanks!

Thanks G. Much appreciated :))

I'm working really hard on the next version. It's actually quite a big update so it will take a few more days probably. Hoping I can sneak battle bingo into the next update as well but I'll see how long that will take.

They use the evolved forms if you rebattle them towards the end of the game.

Oh okay, must be right after the final battle couse that's all i have left. Would be nice to access proper ev's at all times though in case someone wants to do it from the get go without having to rely on dropping of the unwanted stats with berries or something.