Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen

Level 45, or if you've evolved it you can go to the move relearner at mt. battle and relearn it for 5 pokecoupons (it says 1000 but it's really 5)

Hey man. Playing through this game now and I must say, I really like the changes! On that note I'll post here a couple of my observations while playing. I'm still kind of early in the game (just reached having access to the poke spots).

Some people playing the game may prefer that the names of the NPCs aren't changed from the original game. You've probably thought of this and might consider adding it as an option into the hack tool you're working on.

The Shadow Monitor is inconsistent with the pokemon that have been replaced. You're probably already aware of this though, but I thought it would still be good to make it clear.

Anyway, other than that, good work! My team is starting to take shape, and boy does it feel different than any team I would have had in the original.

Thanks,

Sif

Adding on to this, at Phenac right now. My main team is levels...
For the pokespot stuff...

Yeah, I'll reduce them in the next update.

Thinking about it, I think I got a bit lazy about it because if I lowered the levels as they should be, then I'd have to change some of the encounters to their preevolutions. This means more obtainable pokemon and ultimately more work (like level up moves, learnable tms and tutor moves etc). This was a problem at the time when I was trying to release the game as soon as possible and also had exams but I think I will just do it properly now that time is available.

1. Some people playing the game may prefer that the names of the NPCs aren't changed from the original game. You've probably thought of this and might consider adding it as an option into the hack tool you're working on.

2.The Shadow Monitor is inconsistent with the pokemon that have been replaced. You're probably already aware of this though, but I thought it would still be good to make it clear.

Glad you like it!

1. The NPC names I did indeed consider. From the perspective of somehow who already knows the game and is used to them as they were, it seems troublesome for them to change. However from the perspective of someone who is new to the game or someone who just generally found them silly, it makes sense to have new names. Not just in pokemon, but life in general, I think one should never keep something the way it is simply because they're used to it that way. Always strive to be better, even if it means adjusting a little. That's just my philosophy though. Of course anyone is welcome to change things as they see fit when the hack tools come out.

2. Yes, I do know about the shadow monitor actually. Now that I think about it, it should be easy to solve. In theory at least. Obviously it was a low priority because it doesn't affect the game play too much.

Yo Stars, You have a log of the Shadow Pokemon one is able to catch in this ROMhack?

I do indeed. I was going to make a guide eventually. I'll just write up some code to extract all the data and turn it into a text file. This will include all the level up moves and stats and such. I will also be doing the same for the original pokemon xD data since documentation on colo/XD is notoriously either lacking or egregious. The ground work was already done just by the process of making the hack. I was mainly just waiting for the game to be more stable. A lot is still subject to change based on feedback from the community.

If you're still curious then this spoiler contains a list of every obtainable pokemon in the game, in the genIII pokedex order (differs slightly from national dex order after 251). This includes pokemon from pokespots and trades, as well as evolutions of any of those pokemon. So essentially any pokemon you can own at any point in the game. Again, subject to change.

Venusaur

Charizard

Blastoise

Pikachu

Raichu

Nidoqueen

Nidoking

Clefairy

Clefable

Vulpix

Ninetales

Golbat

Arcanine

Alakazam

Machamp

Magnemite

Magneton

Grimer

Muk

Gengar

Hitmonlee

Hitmonchan

Rhydon

Chansey

Staryu

Starmie

Scyther

Electabuzz

Magmar

Pinsir

Gyarados

Eevee

Vaporeon

Jolteon

Flareon

Aerodactyl

Snorlax

Articuno

Zapdos

Moltres

Dragonair

Dragonite

Mewtwo

Bayleef

Meganium

Quilava

Typhlosion

Croconaw

Feraligatr

Crobat

Togepi

Togetic

Flaaffy

Ampharos

Marill

Azumarill

Sudowoodo

Politoed

Espeon

Umbreon

Murkrow

Forretress

Granbull

Scizor

Heracross

Sneasel

Swinub

Piloswine

Skarmory

Houndour

Houndoom

Kingdra

Phanpy

Donphan

Blissey

Raikou

Entei

Suicune

Pupitar

Tyranitar

Lugia

Ho-Oh

Celebi

Treecko

Grovyle

Sceptile

Torchic

Combusken

Blaziken

Mudkip

Marshtomp

Swampert

Poochyena

Mightyena

Ludicolo

Swellow

Shroomish

Breloom

Sableye

Crawdaunt

Milotic

Carvanha

Sharpedo

Trapinch

Vibrava

Flygon

Electrike

Manectric

Cacturne

Glalie

Mawile

Meditite

Medicham

Altaria

Exploud

Absol

Zangoose

Aggron

Armaldo

Ralts

Kirlia

Gardevoir

Bagon

Shelgon

Salamence

Beldum

Metang

Metagross

Registeel

Kyogre

Groudon

Rayquaza

Latias

Latios

Jirachi

Deoxys

Bonsly

The imposter shopkeeper in Phenac has some weird levels for Pokemon. A level 20 Volbeat and a level 27 Illumise? Was that on purpose?

That would be an accident. It has been noted and will be fixed in the next update.

does anyone know when gardevoir learns moonblast? and altaria is really awesome i got one on level 36 and my team is only on 30 atm and what is your team at the moment? pls insert it in a spoiler

is this normal that i can continue my progress in the battle mountain but i never battled there before?

I haven't noticed that before. Are you sure? I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same situation. I can't think of any reason why that would happen.

I haven't noticed that before. Are you sure? I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same situation. I can't think of any reason why that would happen.

I also had the first 3 areas already available when i went to grind there a little.

I also had the first 3 areas already available when i went to grind there a little.

Interesting. I feel like it must have been that way in the original then. I'm not sure what I could have done to make that the case. It would make sense since the earlier areas were really weak so it would have been convenient to skip them unless you were raising a really low level pokemon from like a pokespot or something.

Was having some pokes obtainable multiple times intentional? Like;

Bagon and Salamence, Pupitar and T-tar, and Beldum and Metagross

Yes.

By the end of the game there is no point introducing new pokemon because they are all too late to be relevant. Also it's nice to have really strong pokemon for the bosses at the end but it's also nice to have strong pokemon available earlier on to be used through the game. This way you can have both. Also it gives you a second chance to get a good nature I guess. Finally you will notice that the later ones have special moves/abilities which aren't available to the previous ones.

Was having some pokes obtainable multiple times intentional? Like;

Bagon and Salamence, Pupitar and T-tar, and Beldum and Metagross

when is true, stars can you change the duplicated pokemon in the lategame out? for other pokemon.

when is true, stars can you change the duplicated pokemon in the lategame out? for other pokemon.

I will probably just add more shadow pokemon. It should be easy enough, just need to actual test it to make sure it works as intended. I'd rather not nerf the end game for the sake of adding a few less important pokemon but we shall see.

• Like 1

I will probably just add more shadow pokemon. It should be easy enough, just need to actual test it to make sure it works as intended. I'd rather not nerf the end game for the sake of adding a few less important pokemon but we shall see.

Sorry for the double post, but if you did this, wouldn't people have to fully restart to be able to catch them considering I'd assume most people who have played are past or in Pyrite?

Sorry for the double post, but if you did this, wouldn't people have to fully restart to be able to catch them considering I'd assume most people who have played are past or in Pyrite?

All trade evolutions are just level 40. No items required.

Yes you would need to restart to get them but unless one of the new pokemon was like your favourite pokemon and you just had to have it in your team, then they don't actually add affect the game and it shouldn't matter so I wouldn't bother restarting. If you enjoy XG that much then you could if you wanted to.I'm adding them in just so more people get to use their favourite pokemon but really and truly there are very few pokemon that add anything to game that aren't already in it.

At first it sounds appealing to have more and more shadow pokemon, but in the end, catching more shadow pokemon just becomes a chore.

All trade evolutions are just level 40. No items required.

Yes you would need to restart to get them but unless one of the new pokemon was like your favourite pokemon and you just had to have it in your team, then they don't actually add affect the game and it shouldn't matter so I wouldn't bother restarting. If you enjoy XG that much then you could if you wanted to.

I'm adding them in just so more people get to use their favourite pokemon but really and truly there are very few pokemon that add anything to game that aren't already in it.

At first it sounds appealing to have more and more shadow pokemon, but in the end, catching more shadow pokemon just becomes a chore.

I get what you're saying, but most of the items that are on the Shadow Pokemon are nice to have. Maybe add in some more variety to items with the Shadow Pokemon that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise and it'll not become so much of that chore?

EDIT: Also to note, if we were to update the game and add more Shadow Pokemon, would we still be able to fight Mirror B at the very end of the game considering we'd need all the Shadow Pokemon catch? That's what I was thinking since the Pokemon would still be available but not catchable in that sense since the trainers would already be beat, such as the Ciphor Peons.

I get what you're saying, but most of the items that are on the Shadow Pokemon are nice to have. Maybe add in some more variety to items with the Shadow Pokemon that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise and it'll not become so much of that chore?

EDIT: Also to note, if we were to update the game and add more Shadow Pokemon, would we still be able to fight Mirror B at the very end of the game considering we'd need all the Shadow Pokemon catch? That's what I was thinking since the Pokemon would still be available but not catchable in that sense since the trainers would already be beat, such as the Ciphor Peons.

There actually aren't that many items in gen III so the extra items probably won't end up being very exciting. Even with all the shadow pokemon so far, most don't have an item.

TL;DR: To summarise what I wrote below, I don't know yet, but I do know how to find out :)

The Miror B. issue you raised is precisely why I haven't added more shadow pokemon yet. I'll need to test whether or not the game will realise there are more shadow pokemon. From what I've seen in the scripts, it looks like it counts the shadow pokemon to check whether you have them all; it doesn't just check if you caught exactly 82. I haven't confirmed this yet but I'll eventually write a script where a character basically says how many shadow pokemon the game thinks there are. If after I add some more, the character gives the right number, then it will work just fine. If they still say 83 then I'll have to do some more research to see if I can add more.

That part is easy enough to test, it's just a matter of spending time to make the changes required. There is a second problem though. Most shadow pokemon go to Miror B. once they are defeated. However, some of them, namely the hexagon brothers' shadow mons and greevil's shadow mons, stay with their trainers. I currently have no idea how the game determines whether or not Miror B. should get a pokemon. If we're lucky, then the default behaviour is for them to go to Miror B. and there is nothing to worry about. If we're unlucky and it turns out they stay with the trainer, that would mean you only have one chance to snag them and failing to do so will make the game impossible to complete. There are a few options still if the latter proves to be true but they are a LOT of work involving increasing the sizes of game files, removing other files to accommodate that increase and also writing some complicated scripts.

From what I've seen it looks like it should be really easy to do but until I test it I really won't know for sure. It really depends on how the game was programmed. Good programmers would make the game easy to expand like this. However, since games like this are planned down to the last detail they could assume only the planned pokemon would ever be in the game and program it accordingly.

There actually aren't that many items in gen III so the extra items probably won't end up being very exciting. Even with all the shadow pokemon so far, most don't have an item.

TL;DR: To summarise what I wrote below, I don't know yet, but I do know how to find out :)

The Miror B. issue you raised is precisely why I haven't added more shadow pokemon yet. I'll need to test whether or not the game will realise there are more shadow pokemon. From what I've seen in the scripts, it looks like it counts the shadow pokemon to check whether you have them all; it doesn't just check if you caught exactly 82. I haven't confirmed this yet but I'll eventually write a script where a character basically says how many shadow pokemon the game thinks there are. If after I add some more, the character gives the right number, then it will work just fine. If they still say 83 then I'll have to do some more research to see if I can add more.

That part is easy enough to test, it's just a matter of spending time to make the changes required. There is a second problem though. Most shadow pokemon go to Miror B. once they are defeated. However, some of them, namely the hexagon brothers' shadow mons and greevil's shadow mons, stay with their trainers. I currently have no idea how the game determines whether or not Miror B. should get a pokemon. If we're lucky, then the default behaviour is for them to go to Miror B. and there is nothing to worry about. If we're unlucky and it turns out they stay with the trainer, that would mean you only have one chance to snag them and failing to do so will make the game impossible to complete. There are a few options still if the latter proves to be true but they are a LOT of work involving increasing the sizes of game files, removing other files to accommodate that increase and also writing some complicated scripts.

From what I've seen it looks like it should be really easy to do but until I test it I really won't know for sure. It really depends on how the game was programmed. Good programmers would make the game easy to expand like this. However, since games like this are planned down to the last detail they could assume only the planned pokemon would ever be in the game and program it accordingly.

I was thinking the same thing with all of what you said. It's really a fantastic thing to know that you care so deeply for this game and trying to make it the best for everyone. Keep up the good work, Stars :]

I was thinking the same thing with all of what you said. It's really a fantastic thing to know that you care so deeply for this game and trying to make it the best for everyone. Keep up the good work, Stars :]

Thanks dude :)

It was like that in the base game, this was because areas 1-3 were at a lower level than you would be at, at that point of the game.

Hey, some things I noticed. At Snagem right now.

1. The curve between Snattle and Miror B is a little too high. Snattle has a party with averages 31-33 with a shadow Gengar 35. I was used to this considering i already saw shadows with levels higher than their team's average. After this, you go to Chobin and fight a level 34 and a level 35 Nidoking, which if you hadn't grinded would be a little high, but it's alright considering it's two pokemon. Then you fight a level 40 Groudon, but again it's only 1 Pokemon.

You then have to go to S.S Libra and fight a team of level 33-34 which is alright; and then later at Cipher Key Lair(your next battle) you fight a team of level 36-37 with a level 40 Zangoose. Isn't that a little too high considering you only had a few battles of preparation?

2. Since you updated Pin Missile's power, can you change it's accuracy from 85 to 95? And Rock Blast's accuracy from 80 to 90? Both were updated in gen 5/6. If not, oh well, but at least I tried!

Hey, some things I noticed. At Snagem right now.

1. The curve between Snattle and Miror B is a little too high. Snattle has a party with averages 31-33 with a shadow Gengar 35. I was used to this considering i already saw shadows with levels higher than their team's average. After this, you go to Chobin and fight a level 34 and a level 35 Nidoking, which if you hadn't grinded would be a little high, but it's alright considering it's two pokemon. Then you fight a level 40 Groudon, but again it's only 1 Pokemon.

You then have to go to S.S Libra and fight a team of level 33-34 which is alright; and then later at Cipher Key Lair(your next battle) you fight a team of level 36-37 with a level 40 Zangoose. Isn't that a little too high considering you only had a few battles of preparation?

2. Since you updated Pin Missile's power, can you change it's accuracy from 85 to 95? And Rock Blast's accuracy from 80 to 90? Both were updated in gen 5/6. If not, oh well, but at least I tried!

1. At that point in the game there aren't very many required battles so I think it's a nice point in the story to do a little grinding. The game is a little too easy if you're always overlevelled. The level jump also helps the level curve peak at 70 with lugia which is the main reason tbh. Maybe I'll reduce the level of that pokemon though. 40 is a nice round number but maybe something a tiny bit lower will be better. I'll weigh up the options.

2. I wasn't aware of those changes. They have been noted and will be added in the next update :)

To add to the list of "bugged" moves (hehe, see what I did there?) I noticed that Wild Flare says "A reckless charge that hurts the user" But not HP damage is taken upon use.

Edit: I'd also like to add... Needs more protect. ._.

Wild flare has recoil on mine. Rock head maybe?

I'm not sure what you mean by needs more protect. If you mean you'd like to be able to teach it to more pokemon then you can teach it as many times as you like using the move teacher in agate.