A couple questions, and a tool request...

Ok so, I want to change my character's battle and overworld sprites. Actually, not so much change as swap with one of the characters from the Battle Tower.

The former should be easy, I imagine. I (finally) found a copy of PokeDSPic Platinum. t'was a pain to find, too. It's here, in case anyone else has problems finding it.

Now, the overworld. I've read elsewhere (post 24 to be exact) that sprites can be lightly edited and swapped using a particular version of PokeTex---but THAT, I can't find. Both the Jap and Translated versions I've found will open the ROM, but only display the palette. No sprite appears in the left area, and there's nothing under Extend, so I'm assuming these versions only support Diamond and Pearl. If someone could link me to a working version, I would be really grateful.

(and I do know that certain things would be missing, like animations for running and bike riding...I'll worry about those once I can actually, you know, access stuff)

Lastly, I'm not an expert by any means in programming and hacking, but...instead of swapping sprites around, couldn't one just change the internal pointers so that they reference one sprite sheet instead of another? It seems like it'd be a lot simpler :\

Edit: it seems what I need most is plist.txt contained in the PokeTex English package that everywhere I look says SHOULD be in the upload bin <.<'

Edited by Septfox

Yeah, changing pointers would garble the sprites while you move. I've seen it happen

;)

Also I did have the pokeTEX english in the upload bin, but that was back at pokesav.org. We no longer have an uploadbin. We will get that on the list of programs later today. I will also come back and outline how you would make a list.txt for english platinum. So far no one has been brave enough to di it.

Well...it was an idea :P

Oh...well...I found the uploadbin, or an uploadbin with Pkmn files in it anyway, and assumed it was linked to here somehow :v

I'd appreciate it muchly~ as long as it's not too stupidly difficult, I'd have no problem at all building a list, if told how. It'd certainly help a few people avoid that amount of Googling I've done over the last few days.

Heck, after that, maybe I could even write a short tutorial on basic sprite/overworld editing and swapping, and post it up hereabouts :bidoof:

Sorry about that.

I added PokeTEX to the list: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324

Now to make a list go to the data/mmodel/mmodel.narc and double click it using Tahaxan Tihaxa.

Then compare the offsets of the files inside it and the offsets on the list. Make a corresponding list for english platinum using the offsets given in tahaxan tihaxa.

Thank you. Sounds simple enough...

However after I copied the first few files' offsets over, I saved and opened up PokeTex to make sure it was working. Nothing is displaying in the left pane, and only a few colors are coming up in the palette.

So...what am I missing here?

Edit: on the bright side, the Jap Platinum list included works perfectly with the Jap Platinum ROM. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, I'll keep messing with it :v

Further edit: I'm an idiot, misunderstood your instructions. Understand now, will work on list further, assuming my patience doesn't run out everyone can expect a working list soon~

Moar edit: Done indexing the sprites I consider important; all that have a matching back images for battles. I WOULD do them all, but there appears to be several extra sprites in the US version, they throw the list off somewhat and I'm not in the mood to deal with it after the frustration of having the first batch of entries (entries 4 through 63 to be precise) I put in mysteriously not work d: maybe later.

Speaking of later, after I get some sleep I'll write a small tutorial on how to edit/replace the sprites using PokeTEX along with TileMolester. For now, I've attached the modified (and rather abbreviated) list. Enjoy.

EDIT: removed the attachment, re-added it to my guide.

Edited by Septfox