[Gen 3] Trigger's PC (Legit-Use Everything-Bank and Save Manager Tool)

trigger_death said:
I created a poll to decide if the new distributeable Regi Dolls I included should be all 3 or only 1 per game.

Check it out here.

I vote to distribute all 3. I have the actual E-reader card and it allows you to send all 3. I think it might even allow you to do it more than once.

One small issue I found with the events feature. I added a copy of my Spanish Ruby save to the tool so I could add the events and upload it elsewhere. I'd already activated the events on my save already in the tool so it claimed they'd already been used on the copy.

(The only difference between the 2 saves is one has my living Pokedex and the copy doesn't.)

Edited by HaxAras

I vote to distribute all 3. I have the actual E-reader card and it allows you to send all 3. I think it might even allow you to do it more than once.

One small issue I found with the events feature. I added a copy of my Spanish Ruby save to the tool so I could add the events and upload it elsewhere. I'd already activated the events on my save already in the tool so it claimed they'd already been used on the copy.

(The only difference between the 2 saves is one has my living Pokedex and the copy doesn't.)

That's expected. Triggers PC stores the Trainer ID and Secret ID of a game that completed an event. If you would still like to activate the event, either load it up from an executable in a different location or temporarily move your YourPC.trigsPC save somewhere else and activate the event. Who has completed the event is stored on the YourPC save file.

Downloaded, thanks I'll take a look at it. I really appreciate that everyone has been willing to share their saves with me to work on the program. :)

Edit: Found the problem. I was referencing the same flag for the Aurora Ticket. This is fixed now. It's funny, it's kind of perfect that you hadn't used the Aurora Ticket yet.

Edit 2: It's fixed in the latest released version now.

And I never will, since the Aurora Ticket was never distributed for Emerald in Japan. Nice to see me going the "as legal as possible" route helped fix a bug.

EDIT: I also say your Regi Doll event should give out all three dolls at once.

Hey o/ !

I'm sorry i didn't have the time to post bug / try everything, i'm working on my Shiny Hack-Rom stuff.

I've one little bug and one suggestion about searching :

First the bug, when i want to find Pokemon with All the IV greater than X it simply doesn't work. I've a Pidgeotto with all IV > 28, and when I do "Greater than 27" in "All" 0 result. Same with a X = 0 so it's really not working :c

And the suggestion, really important for me. The way to filter Shiny. I've a LOT of Shiny (100 in 1/8192 in Fire Red, I do not count RNG etc i've more than 500/600 of this i'm addicted) and i'd like to search without normal pokemon and ONLY making some order in my Shiny stuff. If it'd possible to add that, the search function would be perfect / important to me

Thanks o/

Sorry I forgot to respond to you Vladcik. Yes I shall fix that issue and yes I can certainly make searching for shinies.

Edit: You can now search for shinies in the latest release.

Edited by trigger_death

What would you guys think of the ability to create a *readonly* save to share? I know a lot of you have a very private collection and It seems like it may be nice if you can still make your collection viewable without risking people taking anything from it. Of course, if people really wanted to take the Pokemon and knew how to program in C# they could decompile Trigger's PC (or take the source code if I ever publish it) and write code to export the Pokemon. Is that a deal-breaker?

Alternatively I could store the Pokemon in an incomplete format where only the basic information is present. But then you may lose some of the niceties of viewing the Pokemon's info. Let me ask, what are you most concerned of people learning about your Pokemon? Are you worried they could completely duplicate it making it not unique? Or just having information on it so they could make their own version? I can easily hide the Pokemon's personality or any other specific stat if that's the primary worry.

I have finally had time to use Windows and use Trigger's PC, and I'm amazed. It is super cool, looks great and has so many features. Big thank you for all your hard work! :)

As I see the Search function as the most useful feature for Gen 3, and as others have commented on features they would see useful for their own ways of playing Pokémon, I thought I'd post some thoughts/suggestions for the Search function here:

• Could you make it so that one can move from one Pokémon to the next by pressing the arrow keys? At the moment, I seem to have to click on a Pokémon's icon to bring up that Pokémon's info. Would be a big help if I could simply press the arrow keys to move on.
  • What about a list view similar to the one Pokémon Box offers? That would help a lot with comparing and getting an overview of large Pokémon collections, especially in regards to IVs (see next point).
  • As getting an overview of IVs is still a bit cumbersome with the current functionality, could you enhance the IV search function? I like that I can select 'any' and 'higher than', but if would be great if I could, say, search for Pokémon with specific IVs lower than / equal to / higher than whatever value (e.g. a search for Pokémon with a Speed IV higher than 30 and a SpA IV higher than 20).

I know that all this is a lot of work and I don't want to be/sound rude or demanding. I just thought I'd comment about what I personally would benefit most from, similar to others have done so far. Whether or not you can / want to implement any of these, I am very grateful for all your hard work and the great tool we've got already! :)

PS: One more tiny thing I noticed: I only had a Pokémon Box save file added but I could still use the Mirage Island function. It told me no Pokémon matched (obviously), but I thought maybe you'd like to disable this feature when there's no Mirage Island game added/loaded in the first place.

- - -

To reply to your read-only question: I'm not sure. I don't see much use for it to be honest. If people wanna show off, they can do that in other ways, no? And those who fear their Pokémon might get cloned might also fear others simply creating a Pokémon based on the info they can see in Trigger's PC. Depending on how much this mode would show, people could simply recreate the Pokémon. Or actually find a way to acces the file in a way that allows them to clone the Pokémon file. But if you (and others) want it, sure, why not? :)

I have finally had time to use Windows and use Trigger's PC, and I'm amazed. It is super cool, looks great and has so many features. Big thank you for all your hard work! :)

As I see the Search function as the most useful feature for Gen 3, and as others have commented on features they would see useful for their own ways of playing Pokémon, I thought I'd post some thoughts/suggestions for the Search function here:

• Could you make it so that one can move from one Pokémon to the next by pressing the arrow keys? At the moment, I seem to have to click on a Pokémon's icon to bring up that Pokémon's info. Would be a big help if I could simply press the arrow keys to move on.
  • What about a list view similar to the one Pokémon Box offers? That would help a lot with comparing and getting an overview of large Pokémon collections, especially in regards to IVs (see next point).
  • As getting an overview of IVs is still a bit cumbersome with the current functionality, could you enhance the IV search function? I like that I can select 'any' and 'higher than', but if would be great if I could, say, search for Pokémon with specific IVs lower than / equal to / higher than whatever value (e.g. a search for Pokémon with a Speed IV higher than 30 and a SpA IV higher than 20).

I know that all this is a lot of work and I don't want to be/sound rude or demanding. I just thought I'd comment about what I personally would benefit most from, similar to others have done so far. Whether or not you can / want to implement any of these, I am very grateful for all your hard work and the great tool we've got already! :)

PS: One more tiny thing I noticed: I only had a Pokémon Box save file added but I could still use the Mirage Island function. It told me no Pokémon matched (obviously), but I thought maybe you'd like to disable this feature when there's no Mirage Island game added/loaded in the first place.

- - -

To reply to your read-only question: I'm not sure. I don't see much use for it to be honest. If people wanna show off, they can do that in other ways, no? And those who fear their Pokémon might get cloned might also fear others simply creating a Pokémon based on the info they can see in Trigger's PC. Depending on how much this mode would show, people could simply recreate the Pokémon. Or actually find a way to acces the file in a way that allows them to clone the Pokémon file. But if you (and others) want it, sure, why not? :)

Thanks for the info.

1. I've been thinking of doing that for awhile. I just need to figure out how to enable it since the arrow and WASD keys are already in use. Also if you didn't know. There's something called summary mode. If you hold shift or toggle with T, hovering over a Pokemon will automatically show the results.
  2. I may consider it but not anytime soon.
  3. As for enhanced IV searches you can already do that with the refine or add results feature.
    First: Search for Speed IV higher than 30. Press Search
    Second: Goto the Search Tab and change Search Mode to Refine Results.
    Then search for SpAtk IV higher than 20. It will only use Pokemon from the previous results.
    Alternatively if you want to check Speed higher than 30 OR SpAtk higher than 20 you would do Add Results instead.
  4. You certainly aren't demanding or rude and I love it when people make suggestions no matter how big or small they are. :)
  5. That's a pretty minor issue hehe xD. I guess I could disable it if there are no RSE games but it's certainly not an issue in any sense of the word since this tool is more aimed towards people with a decent understanding of Pokemon.

trigger_death said:
What would you guys think of the ability to create a *readonly* save to share? I know a lot of you have a very private collection and It seems like it may be nice if you can still make your collection viewable without risking people taking anything from it. Of course, if people really wanted to take the Pokemon and knew how to program in C# they could decompile Trigger's PC (or take the source code if I ever publish it) and write code to export the Pokemon. Is that a deal-breaker?

Alternatively I could store the Pokemon in an incomplete format where only the basic information is present. But then you may lose some of the niceties of viewing the Pokemon's info. Let me ask, what are you most concerned of people learning about your Pokemon? Are you worried they could completely duplicate it making it not unique? Or just having information on it so they could make their own version? I can easily hide the Pokemon's personality or any other specific stat if that's the primary worry.

I've been wondering the point as well. Is it just a way to show off? I've released older versions of my private collections to a few people in the past. But I've since gained new shinnies and re-made my living dex, etc. I have some Japanese event Pokemon I was asked not to share. Some of my Pokemon are clones, some are already public, etc. I haven't really had a desire to release my collection publicly again though.

Edited by HaxAras

If you ask me, any information that isn't already viewable in-game on the summary screen could be stripped off. PID, IVs (and optionally, EVs), and SID could be taken out, and the Pokémon can be saved as specially made Trigger's PC view-only partial Pokémon files.

It will never be possible for someone to make a copy of anything you show in those collections, because without having PID, IVs/EVs and SID, they will never be able to re-create a copy anyway. Sure, they can simply create one based on the info that is actually viewable, but then they aren't actually taking anything from your collection, are they? The re-creation would just be a different Pokémon, even if it was re-created in a way that made it legal.

You could also go one step further, and allow the user to select what info they would want to hide. So if someone doesn't want others knowing what Nature their Pokémon has, or what moves, they can hide that too.

Simplest way to do it would be to use regular .pkm files, and zero out anything that should be set as hidden. That way, you don't have to bother with creating a new file format. Anything that is zeroed out would be hidden, and if someone is able to just read the save files and extract the .pkm files somehow, they will have incomplete data.

If the Pokémon are stored in an incomplete format, then that is a non-issue. Although I do agree that I don't personally see much use in it. If there is enough interest, though, why not? I may not see the point in it, but others might really like it.

Thanks for the nice reply, Trigger! :)

One thing I noticed when adding my Japanese save files: The trainer names didn't appear right first, even after changing the game to Japanese. Only when I closed the Manage Games window and opened it again did the correct hiragana/katakana show up. Also, without a manual, people might easily overlook that they have to set their save file to Japanese. Maybe this should be done via a checkbox when the user selects which game (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, etc.) the save file is from? That might also make it possible to display the trainer name correctly the moment the game is added to the list.

Also, when adding more than one Pokémon Box save file, all of the Box save files show up as 'Pokémon Box' only. Maybe add an option to add a custom tag to these saves so that we can tell them apart ..?

Thanks for the nice reply, Trigger! :)

One thing I noticed when adding my Japanese save files: The trainer names didn't appear right first, even after changing the game to Japanese. Only when I closed the Manage Games window and opened it again did the correct hiragana/katakana show up. Also, without a manual, people might easily overlook that they have to set their save file to Japanese. Maybe this should be done via a checkbox when the user selects which game (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, etc.) the save file is from? That might also make it possible to display the trainer name correctly the moment the game is added to the list.

Also, when adding more than one Pokémon Box save file, all of the Box save files show up as 'Pokémon Box' only. Maybe add an option to add a custom tag to these saves so that we can tell them apart ..?

1) Good idea on the checkbox. It's also perfect since the GBA games are the only ones that I can't tell the language of.

1.5) Yeah I will be writing a guide to all the features before I exit beta. At the moment the Wall o' Text Changelog is the temporary guide to usage.

2) You can already specify nicknames for saves so that should suffice for knowing the difference between Pokemon Box Saves.

1) Good idea on the checkbox. It's also perfect since the GBA games are the only ones that I can't tell the language of.

Glad you like the idea. :)

Does it help you in any way if I tell you that GBA Backup Tool seems to be able to tell the language of the game? When I use it to backup save files, it shows the name of the game and the final bit has the info on which language (E for English, J for Japanese, D for German, etc.). That name's then also used as the file name for the .sav file. Maybe you already know and this doesn't help (because the info's not stored in the .sav file itself or whatever) but I thought I'd mention it in case it might be of use in some way.

2) You can already specify nicknames for saves so that should suffice for knowing the difference between Pokemon Box Saves.

Ah! Sorry, I didn't know. I should try out more things before I make suggestions. :S

- - -

Something I have just thought of that would make my life in Gen 3 much easier: an overview of occupied Secret Bases in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. As in, a list that shows which Secret Bases (locations) have trainers in them, the trainer's info (name, sprite, …) and the trainer's team. That would help immensely with keeping track of which EV teams and which Exp teams I have in which location on which game … but that might go beyond what you have imaged Trigger's PC to be used for.

It would be incredibly cool if we could put trainers and their parties from one game into a Secret Base of another game (a shortcut of what happens when you mix records). This would probably be A LOT of work, and I would probably feel too much of a cheat if I used a feature like this anyways ^^, so … just putting it out there because it crossed my mind.

Glad you like the idea. :)

Does it help you in any way if I tell you that GBA Backup Tool seems to be able to tell the language of the game? When I use it to backup save files, it shows the name of the game and the final bit has the info on which language (E for English, J for Japanese, D for German, etc.). That name's then also used as the file name for the .sav file. Maybe you already know and this doesn't help (because the info's not stored in the .sav file itself or whatever) but I thought I'd mention it in case it might be of use in some way.

Ah! Sorry, I didn't know. I should try out more things before I make suggestions. :S

- - -

Something I have just thought of that would make my life in Gen 3 much easier: an overview of occupied Secret Bases in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. As in, a list that shows which Secret Bases (locations) have trainers in them, the trainer's info (name, sprite, …) and the trainer's team. That would help immensely with keeping track of which EV teams and which Exp teams I have in which location on which game … but that might go beyond what you have imaged Trigger's PC to be used for.

It would be incredibly cool if we could put trainers and their parties from one game into a Secret Base of another game (a shortcut of what happens when you mix records). This would probably be A LOT of work, and I would probably feel too much of a cheat if I used a feature like this anyways ^^, so … just putting it out there because it crossed my mind.

The GBA Backup tool most likely knows the language of the game because it can take a look at the ROM file. I can't tell what ROM file a cartridge originated from.

As for the Secret Base stuff that's also something I've considered doing. :D

The GBA Backup tool most likely knows the language of the game because it can take a look at the ROM file. I can't tell what ROM file a cartridge originated from.

Ah, I see, thought so. Hm. Too bad.

As for the Secret Base stuff that's also something I've considered doing. :D

Oh, exciting!

Here's a tip for your debug code. You mentioned WPF earlier so I'm assuming you're using C#.

If you declare a method like this then all calls to it will be removed when you do a release build. Then you don't need to worry about removing and readding individual bits of code before you release.

[Conditional("DEBUG")]
static void DebugMethod()
{
}

It's explained here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4xssyw96(VS.90).aspx

Here's a tip for your debug code. You mentioned WPF earlier so I'm assuming you're using C#.

If you declare a method like this then all calls to it will be removed when you do a release build. Then you don't need to worry about removing and readding individual bits of code before you release.

[Conditional("DEBUG")]
static void DebugMethod()
{
}

It's explained here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4xssyw96(VS.90).aspx

It's kind of silly but I actually debug in release mode. Now my reasoning behind this is I've already forgotten to switch to release mode a few times when releasing a new version so I'd take the unupdated release build and end up posting that. Is there a way to run code in release mode only when using the debugger?

I gotta say, I don't know why I didn't think about it before. That secret base feature would be amazing!

And I've been thinking of making a feature to make a secret base for Your PC for a long time as well. :D

Welp... I just hatched a shiny Charmander with the help of a new feature I've finished for Trigger's PC. Now I'm not sure whether people will dislike this or not but similar to the Mirage Island Checker I've created an Egg Shininess Checker. It goes through every Pokemon Egg and sees if it would be shiny if you hatched it in any of your games and then it gives you the results.

What are people's opinions on this? Because I agree it does feel pretty off but technically it's nothing you can't already do with the information Trigger's PC gives you. (Although I'd never expect anyone to calculate shininess for a mass amount of eggs) I'd still probably consider this to be Trigger's PC's most illegitimate feature. Albeit it did take 11 Boxes worth of eggs.

trigger_death said:
Welp... I just hatched a shiny Charmander with the help of a new feature I've finished for Trigger's PC. Now I'm not sure whether people will dislike this or not but similar to the Mirage Island Checker I've created an Egg Shininess Checker. It goes through every Pokemon Egg and sees if it would be shiny if you hatched it in any of your games and then it gives you the results.

What are people's opinions on this? Because I agree it does feel pretty off but technically it's nothing you can't already do with the information Trigger's PC gives you. (Although I'd never expect anyone to calculate shininess for a mass amount of eggs)

That would be amazing. I'd hate to miss out on a shiny because I hatched it on the wrong save.

Edited by HaxAras

trigger_death said:
Funny thing is I was this close to removing the hatching save and making a new one since I wanted one with an ID ending in 1 or 6 so I could get daily Wiki berries.

One thing I've been contemplating. I don't know if I want to back up all my saves from my carts so I can use them on the tool or if I want to deal with trying to remember if the tool or my cart has the updated saved on it.

For ex. I currently I have my Spanish Ruby save on the tool buy my French Ruby and Japanese Emerald are currently on my carts.

Edited by HaxAras

One thing I've been contemplating. I don't know if I want to back up all my saves from my carts so I can use them on the tool or if I want to deal with trying to remember if the tool or my cart has the updated saved on it.

For ex. I currently I have my Spanish Ruby save on the tool buy my French Ruby and Japanese Emerald are currently on my carts.

That does seem troublesome.

By the way. What tool do you use to transfer and backup your cartridges? I'd love to get my shiny Ekans from my physical FireRed save over to my current saves. What's the price range on it?

trigger_death said:
That does seem troublesome.

By the way. What tool do you use to transfer and backup your cartridges? I'd love to get my shiny Ekans from my physical FireRed save over to my current saves. What's the price range on it?

I spent 20$ on some 3DS R4 I was linked to online and then had to spend another 20$ on a new SD card. I downloaded some GBA Backup tool to backup and restore saves.

Edited by HaxAras

Oh wow, so much has happened already again! Love that this thread's so active.

Glad to read that HaxAras is also for the Secret Bases. :) I have various teams with 6 Pokémon that give 3 EVs in a stat (it's a lot of fun collecting these, actually) and am working on various teams with several Latios (with nothing but Memento) and various Mewtwo (with nothing but Self-destruct) – the issue for me is having to play through Pokémon xD again and again to get the tutor to teach Self-Destruct to Mewtwo –, and the whole Secret Base thing is a lot of fun to do for me, so the more attention they get in the Gen 3 community, the better. :D

Re shiny egg checker: I have to say, out of all the "legit but also kinda not" features of Trigger's PC, this is the one I am the least worried about. I have about 16 active save files for 14 actual cartridges, and as HaxAras said, it would be a pity to miss out on a shiny just because you hatched in in the wrong game. The odds are still incredibly low (unless you create and add thousands of save files just for this feature …*and then if you go that far you might as well cheat for a shiny in other ways), so I don't mind this feature at all. In fact, I think it's pretty cool. :)

decymin said:
Oh wow, so much has happened already again! Love that this thread's so active.

Glad to read that HaxAras is also for the Secret Bases. :) I have various teams with 6 Pokémon that give 3 EVs in a stat (it's a lot of fun collecting these, actually) and am working on various teams with several Latios (with nothing but Memento) and various Mewtwo (with nothing but Self-destruct) – the issue for me is having to play through Pokémon xD again and again to get the tutor to teach Self-Destruct to Mewtwo –, and the whole Secret Base thing is a lot of fun to do for me, so the more attention they get in the Gen 3 community, the better. :D

Re shiny egg checker: I have to say, out of all the "legit but also kinda not" features of Trigger's PC, this is the one I am the least worried about. I have about 16 active save files for 14 actual cartridges, and as HaxAras said, it would be a pity to miss out on a shiny just because you hatched in in the wrong game. The odds are still incredibly low (unless you create and add thousands of save files just for this feature …*and then if you go that far you might as well cheat for a shiny in other ways), so I don't mind this feature at all. In fact, I think it's pretty cool. :)

I never thought to do that with secret bases.

My Ruby got stolen and my Emerald broke. In 2008 I went and bought Ruby and Emerald from GameStop. I used to alternate re-starting them and would always make sure to save my secret bases. My Sapphire got stolen as well. I got that back a couple years later and now it has my 100% save file. Honestly, now that I type it out. It's crazy just how long I've had some of my cartridges and all the save files I've made on them over the years. So many countless memories with gen 3. <3

The shiny egg feature would been nice for me a little sooner. I just bred over 300 eggs for my Fire Red 100% project. I made a backup of the Kanto eggs I bred for my other living dexes. Since I'm making living dexes in every language, I thought I'd get the eggs once and just hatch them in various languages. It would be really helpful to know if they'll hatch shiny on one of the many save files I'll be making since I intend to make a save file for every game in every language before I finish buying all the carts.

Edited by HaxAras