The New PS3 Slim

Fallen

Playstation_3_Slim.png

After much anticipation Sony announced the release of a much slimmer and sleek looking PS3 that consumes 34% less energy, weighs 33% less, and is an overall 33% smaller. The slimmer system also comes with a hard drive upgrade of 120gb opposed to the 80gb offered in the older version that retailed for $399.99 USD. Furthermore, the price is also slimmer, now retailing for 299.99 USD.

Overall Sony has delivered an overall better gaming console by slimming many things without sacrificing Blu Ray gaming and video. However, the PS3 slim does not support third-party OS install. This means no more linux. Most would agree though that is a small price to pay for a slimmer, lighter, more cost effective gaming experience.

It is more appealing now. I've always wanted one, mainly for the Blu Ray, but the price was a negative. I actually just sold my Wii for $180 and have about $150 in gift cards. I'm about 97.82% sure I'm going to buy one come September 1st. Lol

It is more appealing now. I've always wanted one, mainly for the Blu Ray, but the price was a negative. I actually just sold my Wii for $180 and have about $150 in gift cards. I'm about 97.82% sure I'm going to buy one come September 1st. Lol

I only really want one for Street Fighter 4, Armored Core For Answer, and Assassin's Creed. That's about all I can think of off hand.

I could never sell my Wii. :B I play too much Brawl.

The Slim looks like a good purchase to me, but I'd really have liked to see the return of backwards compatibility and those awesome card slots the 60GB/original 80GB PS3 had. The lack of Linux support makes it unusable for things like cracking SSL, and hopefully the lack of officially sanctioned homebrew will motivate hackers to start trying to run some code on the PS3. :creep:

The slim is the one that has 120gb and is smaller. The bigger one has 80gb for the same price.

Um i know that?

As for the backwards compatibility coming back, that won't happen. The still sell a fair amount of PS2s.

Aww, but that would be very awesome, what was the reason it stopped?

I would absolutely love one...sadly, I'm attached to my nostalgic PS2...and I'm only getting a PS3 if it has backwards compatibility, which will replace both my PS2 and PSP (The PSP really disappointed me...a lot.), naturally I'll sell the PS2 and PSP. I really love the graphics on the PS3...not to mention how awesome Arkham Asylum looks (It looks absolutely beautiful...just mind-blowing).

The Slim looks like a good purchase to me, but I'd really have liked to see the return of backwards compatibility and those awesome card slots the 60GB/original 80GB PS3 had. The lack of Linux support makes it unusable for things like cracking SSL, and hopefully the lack of officially sanctioned homebrew will motivate hackers to start trying to run some code on the PS3. :creep:

Maybe a PS2 emulator for the PS3 will come from the lack of Linux?

Yay! Great news :P Instead of an eleven hundred dollar laptop...that I will probably only need for college, I'm getting a PS3 :D I'm not sure whether I should get the slim, the 80gig, or backwards compatibility PS3. I favor the touch sensitive buttons on the Phat...they're just so awesome. Then again the slim saves power and is lightweight and compact. Then there's the backwards compatibility...I have a HUGE collection of PS2 games that I don't want to see go to waste...then again I can always keep my PS2. My adorable PS2 that's been with me since I was in diapers. So what do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine for trading in old PS3 and paying £70, definatly worth it, and in my eyes (Not in manyothers >.>) easily, the best console out now, I can't imagine my life without Metal Gear Solid 4/Gran Turismo 5 and, the only "Good" exclusive game 360 has is like... er.... Halo, which I hate anyway, so yah :D

@Nara-Chu: Definatly get the slim, and keep your old ps2, if you have enough plugs, it's not even too much effort to switch your ps3+ps2 around ;P

The shiny gloss finish is a very nice touch, but I tire of the endless smudges and fingerprints. The matte finish is still very nice, not as nice as a nice shiny, but at least the fingerprint smudges are no longer a factor.

I got my slim about a week and a half ago and am enjoying it immensely. It's so much quieter than the original cinder block-sized model. Overall it just has a much cleaner look and feel to it.