GEN1 Legit Mew From ToysRus Distribution

InsaneNutter

So, I can't find the time to make the post with the mews I wanted to make (my priority was getting the info, not getting anything new unfortunately), so I'm uploading this save with the info for now, as I've been requested it and there's no reason to keep it (I was waiting until I made the big post, but it's been over a month and still not the time for it).

The save attached to this post contains a Mew owned by Cirellio, who I found over at nintendoage forums. He worked at Toys R Us at Peoria (US) during Christmas holiday season in 1999 and was in charge of Mew distribution for that Toys R US. Unlike other distributions made with Mew machine, this one was made via direct trade with a gameboy such as this one:

Pcfbc.png

He also traded one to his own game, and fortunately enough, he was able to dump the savegame after all this years. What's more interesting about this distribution is the question "were those direct trade Mews also clones with the same DV values as the Mew machines?". The answer is yes, even before the Mew machines were used DVs were already fixed. The only Mew that might have scaped this would be the NINTEN Mew distributed via Nintendo Power, the very first USA distribution. I've read a very old post form an user claiming that these direct trade Mews were all 1:1 clones (all the Mews in the cartridge were exactly the same one, even ID#). This user posted that Mew's OT and ID#, but the ID is different from Cirelli's Mew, so either they were not all clones or each Toys R Us got a different ID#, or maybe each box of Mews had different ID#. I guess the probablity of finding someone with two of those cartridge distribution Mews from the same event for confirmation is nearly null.

Mew
OT: YOSHIBA
ID: 47310
DVs: 5(hp)/10(atk)/1(def)/5(spe)/12(spd)

Contributor: Cirellio

A great thanks to Cirellio for his contribution to Gen 1 event preservation!

DOWNLOAD: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24562

ps: remember you can use pkhex to revert the Mew to a "distribution state" at level 5, no stat experience and pound as it's only move.

ps2: Yes, it's a Pokémon Yellow savegame and it wasn't out when the distribution took place. Cirellio traded the Mew over to that cartridge from his blue prior to dumping the save.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid said:
I made an account just to reply in this thread. I have been lurking for years now.

I was surfing in the internet for any pre-VC Japanese saves with the event Mew, preferably around 1995-1999. But alas, I found nothing. Furthermore, I can't read Japanese. I was wondering if any of you guys have such saves.

Thank you.

I'm in the same situation, I contacted an user who had one Japanesse Mew, but he told me that he transfered to GSC and of course battery died out. I'm waiting for respones if that refered to his english games or he also had gen 2 japanesse games and the Mew vanished. I would like to find at least 1 Jap mew.

But you can see here a low quality image of a Mew distributed at Spaceworld 1999. If only we knew if those Mews also had fixed DVs... if that was the case for Spaceworld 1999 Mew, we could at least have one legit pre-VC japanesse Mew (the one from the image).

https://web.archive.org/web/20000901092347/http://www.eagb.net/gameboy/special_space_world99_03.htm

spaceworld11.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, suloku said:

Can someone gess the Mew level? I'd like to try and see if for any chance the DV can be calculated (maybe they distributed it at high level with 0 EV), but it doesn't seem to be at level 50 or 100.

I tried zooming in but it just got blurrier and blurrier. I contacted an Ebay Seller who is Japanese, lives in Japan and claims they have a lot of resources and can track stuff down. I asked them if they could track down that issue of the magezine for me to purchase. Fingers crossed. If I can get it, I can take a lot more pictures at different angles. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to do translations on it.

Present #1 Thank you!
Pokemon Mew Present!!

The final of final gifts!?

Get Mew on your Pokemon Software!! (Pokemon Software is how they referred to the Cartridges/Games)

Big Chance!
Obtain Mythical Pokemon Mew!

(Can't read the portion with the black and blue words)

Coincidentally, I have that very Pokemon Playing Mat!

edit:
With the correct volume ID or dates, you may be able to grab the entire volume at an affordable price off Mandarake

(It's like a Megastore chain that ships out first or second hand japanese stuff.
It has many stores across Japan, and shipping can be combined when bought from same store.
Got Japanese Pokemon Cards and Gundams from there lol)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

With the correct volume ID or dates, you may be able to grab the entire volume at an affordable price off Mandarake

(It's like a Megastore chain that ships out first or second hand japanese stuff.
It has many stores across Japan, and shipping can be combined when bought from same store.
Got Japanese Pokemon Cards and Gundams from there lol)

I wouldn't know what to search. If anybody could point me in the right direction or send me a link, I'd be happy to get them first chance I get. 

4 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

I wouldn't know what to search. If anybody could point me in the right direction or send me a link, I'd be happy to get them first chance I get. 

If this link is the said issue, it appears to be sold out. :/

(I think it's the correct one, since the Mewtwo Card is supposedly featured. That's likely why it was purchased)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

Well, I have a contact in Japan and I can always give this info to a few Ebay sellers and maybe one of them could track it down. 

Though honestly unless you like to keep comic magazines or want to grab the Mewtwo card, it'll be pointless to get it,
since it's not like we'll be able to redeem the Mew,
and the situation is likely as described by ajxpk

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Though honestly unless you like to keep comic magazines or want to grab the Mewtwo card, it'll be pointless to get it,
since it's not like we'll be able to redeem the Mew,
and the situation is likely as described by ajxpk

Eh, I like buying interesting things. It has a place in my collection so if the pictures would be useful to anybody, I can share those. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

At least the May 1996 issue is there.
http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1047675069&ref=list

But the weird thing is it seems that there is nothing Pokemon related in it.
At least I haven't found anything in the index...

yeah, can't seem to see Pokemon in the content page

All I've got is '97 No.233 Sep issue,
I think it's for Surfing Pikachu card or Mew information.

I have since I was 7 at the time always wanted a legitimate mew and also wanted to have a collection of every mew released I'm so glad I've found this thread. Only thing Is I can't see the link for mew save from cirellio could you send me the link purchase and as a thank you I could dump my 2016 sun and moon UK release event mew if needed ?

Thanks again for your hard work

Ps yes that's a Coro Coro Lilypad mew signed by the creator of mew Shigeki Morimoto :)

Edited by scottishdanstfu

1 hour ago, scottishdanstfu said:

Thanks so much and i could always revert it back to level 5 though then it'll be like it's untouched :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The first post has a link to a legit mew (untouched level 5), and here are another 14 that Tripred kindly uploaded for the community to enjoy (most untouched at level 5): https://goo.gl/tr06GS

We discussed the UK event mew on another thread, we are mostly certain all of them are exactly the same mew, but if you could upload yours for confirmation that would be great.

The first post has a link to a legit mew (untouched level 5), and here are another 14 that Tripred kindly uploaded for the community to enjoy (most untouched at level 5): https://goo.gl/tr06GS
We discussed the UK event mew on another thread, we are mostly certain all of them are exactly the same mew, but if you could upload yours for confirmation that would be great.

Yeah that's no problem I use pkhex so do you want me to just dump the Mew file or would you like my save file dumped and I can't see the link to the untouched mew in the first post that's why I asked :)

23 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

Yeah that's no problem I use pkhex so do you want me to just dump the Mew file or would you like my save file dumped and I can't see the link to the untouched mew in the first post that's why I asked :)

It would be better if you could upload your full savefile from your 3DS. If you don't want to make it public, you might send it via private messaging and I'll check the mew against the other one uploaded. (For anyone wondering, full savefile is better just in case pkhex bugs out and modifies the pokemon while creating the pk1 file).

Also, you are right, the link at first post is down (yet another link to repair in the new forums), here you have an alternative download (I hope this is not considered spam): https://digiex.net/threads/pokemon-gen1-legit-mew-save-from-1999-toysrus-distribution-red-blue-yellow.14648/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

I dunno as the banner in the picture says 96?

96 comes before 97 in the alphabet. ;)

It wouldn't be inconceivable that a magazine could have a date from a year earlier. 

96 comes before 97 in the alphabet.
It wouldn't be inconceivable that a magazine could have a date from a year earlier. 

Oh of course sorry complete dumb moment it would of been a picture of a previous event. Would really know why they have the 3 different diagrams but like you said it's probably about the event.

25 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

Oh of course sorry complete dumb moment it would of been a picture of a previous event. Would really know why they have the 3 different diagrams but like you said it's probably about the event.

We can only guess. Who knows why they did anything the way they did back in the day. I highly doubt anybody was asking these questions or documenting any of this sadly. 

• Like 1