GEN1 Legit Mew From ToysRus Distribution

InsaneNutter

22 hours ago, HaxAras said:

There was somebody else on Reddit who wanted their Yellow cart dumped I think it was. They would take so long to get back to me, I thought they lost interest. I know several people on Digiex were in a group PM about it. Maybe one of them/you can find the person's name and get in contact with them. I *think* they might have messaged me when I left the Pokemon community but I barely remember since that was in September-October of last year. 

So this Yellow was just someone's personal cart that had been traded a Mew, right? Because otherwise I didn't know of any Yellow carts being used for the actual distribution. But being held in December 1999 could technically make that a possibility I suppose.

(You can respond in our email convo if you want, since I don't know how long you plan on visiting here again)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 1:33 PM, Deoxyz said:

So this Yellow was just someone's personal cart that had been traded a Mew, right? Because otherwise I didn't know of any Yellow carts being used for the actual distribution. But being held in December 1999 could technically make that a possibility I suppose.

(You can respond in our email convo if you want, since I don't know how long you plan on visiting here again)

I'm pretty sure it was a Few traded over. We wanted it because so few remain on gen 1 games these days. I forget to check Digiex and never get notifications so I doubt I'll respond there either.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:10 AM, suloku said:

I'm really happy that at long last we got that savefile dumped. I recall Jen saying a friend of her had a blue cartridge as well, any news about that?

Also, confirmation that the cart is a retail one is great. Lots of thanks to both of you!

On 1/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, Deoxyz said:

@HaxAras had attempted to buy the Red cart back in May, but to no success. That's actually how I found out about this, but didn't get around to help have it dumped until recently. When he told me about it in September, he had mentioned the Blue cart to me from their talks, and iirc, the savefile was erased. It won't hurt to confirm it though, so I'll ask.

I figured I should give quick update on this to close the loose ends. Updates from Jenn were slow paced due to real life and such, but our talks have come to a close. Turns out her friend's cart was actually a Red as well, and it being a Blue must've been a false memory. The savefile was indeed erased though as I had predicted. Unfortunately, this cart has also since then been removed from the system it was sealed in, so we won't have any new pictures to archive as I was hoping for.

That's about it. Now with all my questions answered, she shipped my dumper back to me a few days ago. So the savefile we obtained in January will indeed likely be the only one we will ever archive from this event, which we are extremely lucky to have in the first place.

I guess now we can look forward to the preservation effort keeping up the momentum of the last year or so, hopefully bringing us more rare data to archive. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much is left sitting around with collectors.

Hi Guys,

I was feeling nostalgic last week so I decided to fire up my red and blue games to take a look at them. I also wanted to look at my mews that I got back in 1999 at Toys R Us giveaway during Black Friday. My sister, and brother and I were able to run through the line multiple times until we each got the sticker sheet that had the mew, thankfully the guy handing them out didn’t mind. I let my sister use one of my games to get the mew so I have two, though I’m unsure if my brother still has his. That led me to wonder how rare these are now which led me to here.

Here are the two mews I have if you need any of their info or are interested in looking at them!

7C50B456-0D11-475F-8A48-65D240BC1070.jpeg

FF59039B-B87F-422C-9326-B6E2E7FB691B.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ryan242004 said:

Hi Guys,

I was feeling nostalgic last week so I decided to fire up my red and blue games to take a look at them. I also wanted to look at my mews that I got back in 1999 at Toys R Us giveaway during Black Friday. My sister, and brother and I were able to run through the line multiple times until we each got the sticker sheet that had the mew, thankfully the guy handing them out didn’t mind. I let my sister use one of my games to get the mew so I have two, though I’m unsure if my brother still has his. That led me to wonder how rare these are now which led me to here.

Here are the two mews I have if you need any of their info or are interested in looking at them!

7C50B456-0D11-475F-8A48-65D240BC1070.jpeg

FF59039B-B87F-422C-9326-B6E2E7FB691B.jpeg

I'll never leave this site, just in the hopes to see things like yours. Very nice you found them with the save files intact. 

• Like 2

I know it's a long time ago, but we are trying to find out how many separate cartridges were given to the stores. It seems like RA, RB, BA, and BB are Red A/B and Blue A/B.

Let me know if you remember anything and thank you for sharing!

3 hours ago, Sabresite said:

I know it's a long time ago, but we are trying to find out how many separate cartridges were given to the stores. It seems like RA, RB, BA, and BB are Red A/B and Blue A/B.

Let me know if you remember anything and thank you for sharing!

No problem! I remember that there were two people with the Gameboys making the trades and one other lady that was monitoring the line and told us which person to go to so we didn’t crowd them too much. I feel like I remember seeing a carrying case behind them but I’m not sure. I only saw two cartridges while I was there which were the ones they were using.

12 hours ago, Sabresite said:

I assume each of your Mew was from each of the employees?}

Let us know if you find your brothers!

Lastly, do you plan on dumping the Mew or want to contribute them to the community?

Yep! We were in a different line when we got them. I’ll have to remember to ask him next time I see him lol.

I’d like to help if I can, but I’m not sure I understand the logistics of dumping them or contributing them. How does that process work? I’d like to keep my saves as long as they will last lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ryan242004 said:

Yep! We were in a different line when we got them. I’ll have to remember to ask him next time I see him lol.

I’d like to help if I can, but I’m not sure I understand the logistics of dumping them or contributing them. How does that process work? I’d like to keep my saves as long as they will last lol.

If you're in the US I've dumped these Mew saves for people before, feel free to PM me

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Hi! Long time on update.

Game still works and finally going to extract Mew but as I said the previous owner maxed it to level 100 and taught it all HM moves 😂

Please let me know NOW the updated and best way to extract save 

20210513_010035.jpg

Also I'm kind of not comfortable sharing ID of Mew 😬 it's on certificate (unique numbers were given) and I already seen a fake one .

I don't know if it's possible to not share it's ID number? 

16 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

and how do you determine if one Mew was a fake?

Given your statement about ID numbers, as far as I'm aware, they're all unique/different.

It was a mew certificate on ebay awhile back. I noticed writing was off and image quality looked different compared to mine so I practically don't know if they copied someone else's number or they put in a random number.  I feel bad for person who bought it. I'm going to see if I can find it again

Here it is 

Also has anyone even seen a red written one?

Like I seen multiple written like mine other other but not this

Sold cheaper though

Screenshot_20210513-183131_eBay.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've recently purchased legit U.S. Pokemon Red and Yellow Game Boy cartridges with their original batteries still holding saves.

The Red save has what appears to be a YOSHIRA Surfing Pikachu in the party, while the Yellow save has what appears to be LINKE Mew in the party (though based on the levels of Pikachu and Mew, neither seem untouched). Seller of the Yellow cart says it was from a Pokemon Stadium Tour back in the day, which seemingly jives with the LINKW Mews info here as well as some old Azure Heights forum posts (such as this one) I found.

Seller of the Red cart says they were a winner of the October 1999 Nintendo Power magazine Issue 125 contest that gave away 1000 Surfing Pikachus. Interestingly, the OT being YOSHIRA contradicts Bulbapedia, which says the OT should be NINTEN. But I can't find any other evidence documenting NINTEN as the OT, though I did find that ニンテン (Japanese for NINTEN...at least according to Google Translate) was apparently the OT for a different Japanese Surfing Pikachu distribution. So I'm wondering if the OT was transliterated and incorrectly copied over at some point and from then on just assumed to be accurate. The fact that the OT of the Surfing Pikachu on the Red save is YOSHIRA is interesting because YOSHIRA is also the OT of the Nintendo Power Mew distribution from Issue 127 in December 1999, which came only two months after the Surfing Pikachu distribution, so it would seemingly make sense if Nintendo of America used the same distribution technique/machine/software/etc for both.

Note that I posted about the LINKE Mew a while back on another thread but it didn't seem to gain any traction. However, unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), neither a legit YOSHIRA Surfing Pikachu nor a legit LINKE Mew have otherwise been publicly preserved on this site or elsewhere. So I've dumped the saves and am attaching them here in hopes that the community can review and see if it's possible to verify authenticity?

POKEMON RED - Copy_SurfingPikachu.sav POKEMON YELLOW_2021.10.12-13.24.38 LINKE MEW - Copy.sav

Edited by agentman
  • Like 5

Thank you @agentman for your contributions!

On 12/17/2021 at 9:52 PM, agentman said:

I've recently purchased legit U.S. Pokemon Red and Yellow Game Boy cartridges with their original batteries still holding saves.

That's amazing! Where did you get these from? eBay?

Note that I posted about the LINKE Mew a while back on another thread but it didn't seem to gain any traction. However, unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), neither a legit YOSHIRA Surfing Pikachu nor a legit LINKE Mew have otherwise been publicly preserved on this site or elsewhere. So I've dumped the saves and am attaching them here in hopes that the community can review and see if it's possible to verify authenticity?

Sorry about that. Well as you might already know all these Mew in that era (since Nintendo Space World '97) were distributed via these special machines and it's always the same data, with the exception of ID and OT. We have already collected some and even obtained "distribution cartridges" filled with them and I think it might just got lost in the shuffle. Personally I also have to admit that I'm not too familiar with what has been distributed internationally, I'm usually more focused on the unlocalized distributions. These are still amazing contributions regardless and especially with the Surfing Pikachu you got my attention now. The Mew looks fine, I'm still thinking about whether or not the Surfing Pikachu is real, unfortunately because this is the first one I've ever seen and I can't confirm if it is authentic based on the data alone...

What we do is building a database by collecting verified data, then we analyze the data and see what can be used for legality analysis. The main problem is that within the data structure of a Pokémon in RGBYGSC, there isn't really anything that can be checked other than the Pokémon's parameter. There's no other way and in my opinion even nickname trash data aren't useful to determine legitimacy, because there actually isn't any trash data (usually it's all EOM). So what we really need is verified data, we need documents such as letters and certificates to determine that something is authentic. Then we have something we can check against to at least confirm that it's legal.

Seller of the Red cart says they were a winner of the October 1999 Nintendo Power magazine Issue 125 contest that gave away 1000 Surfing Pikachus.

Is there any chance to get more information from the seller?

Interestingly, the OT being YOSHIRA contradicts Bulbapedia, which says the OT should be NINTEN. But I can't find any other evidence documenting NINTEN as the OT, though I did find that ニンテン (Japanese for NINTEN...at least according to Google Translate) was apparently the OT for a different Japanese Surfing Pikachu distribution. So I'm wondering if the OT was transliterated and incorrectly copied over at some point and from then on just assumed to be accurate.

I fixed it. The NINTEN OT edit came from @SnorlaxMonster, reference was MewtwoSama's posts at AzureHeight where he claimed that he owns a NINTEN Mew. Since MewtwoSama never proved from which official distribution he got it from, I don't believe the story and if you want my opinion... it's just a myth. Somehow the NINTEN Mew myth got mixed up with Surfing Pikachu, or it's because in Japan they distributed it with the OT ニンテン.

I even can imagine how the rumors started, there's a screenshot in Pokémon Power Volume 6 Jan. 1999 that shows Mew with the OT NINTEN and different stats, which was from a Pokémon Red/Blue version in debug mode. So everyone who saw this expected that they eould distribute it with this OT, what they actually distributed was a Mew with the OT MARIO.

IIRC this was also the reveal of Mew in the US, so this is very similar to the Mew reveal in May 1996 issue of CoroCoro Comic showed a screenshot of a Mew with the OT ゲーフリ, but at the end it was distributed with the OT コロコロ. Also, the stats are different and from what I know all machine Mew had the same stats.

The fact that the OT of the Surfing Pikachu on the Red save is YOSHIRA is interesting because YOSHIRA is also the OT of the Nintendo Power Mew distribution from Issue 127 in December 1999, which came only two months after the Surfing Pikachu distribution, so it would seemingly make sense if Nintendo of America used the same distribution technique/machine/software/etc for both.

You're right about this and I wouldn't be surprised if the Surfing Pikachu's OT really is "YOSHIRA", because like you said, the Pokémon was distributed via the same machine & software. What I'm more confused about is the nickname "PIKCHU"... and the irony is that it could be either mean that it's a really bad hack or that this is actually real. If it's real I wonder why would it would be this way...

What I do know is that the localization was very simple, they even left the Japanese SGB border with "POCKET MONSTERS"... If the cause for the decision for the name was because the software wasn't perfect this might explain it, but it still doesn't make sense. In order to get the correct RAM locations to set the Pokémon's nickname they need the correct lengths. The Japanese versions of the Pokémon games have a name length of 5 characters while the international version have 10 characters, + one additional character which is always EOM. In theory it could be possible that they have taken this into account for the offset calculation but not for the name itself. It still wouldn't make sense because PIKCHU is 6 characters, also based on all the known OT names up to 7 characters are possible... 

Edited by ajxpk

• 1 month later...

Hello, i m new here and i found out about this site and thanks to everyone as it is a REAL GOLD MINE !!
I went through the site looking for sav files with an original MEW and it turns out each time save would not work fine
at best  once the sav is loaded "ash" is stuck AND cannot move from his current position (usually in a poke center ) 
Am i the only one experiencing these issues i was careful to use a yellow sav with the yellow version of the game
(i use a fr version of the yellow one or the blue version still in fr for the blue save)
i attached all downloaded version from this site

Pokemon GEN1 Legit YOSHIBA Mew Save (Pokemon Yellow).sav Pokemon Blue - Mew From ToysRus Distribution.sav POKEMON YELLOW_2021.10.12-13.24.38 LINKE MEW - Copy.sav Pokémon Gelbe Edition Special Pikachu Edition Mew.sav

This thread isn’t for save support. As a last note, make sure you load the save in the correct game. That can happen if you load the save in the wrong game (let’s say a Blue save in a Yellow game).

any further replies from you, you should start your own thread in the appropriate sub forum.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Thomson said:

Anybody help….. found this after 17 years yesterday. . I have had the game about 24 years 🤙

Just saw you posted over on Digiex as well, I think @InsaneNutter might be your best bet getting this dumped (since you're in the UK); but if for whatever reason that doesn't work out, I would be more than willing to dump this save file for you, although I live in the US :D

Cheers. I havnt a clue how to download save file. But I would hate to lose this. I have left him a message and hope he gets back to me. I tried to tell him a bit off history about it. A few people have said there can’t be many games left after 24 years 😂

• 6 months later...

As someone recently asked me about @Thomson's UK Mew, the cart was unfortunately never sent my way to dump the save.

They apparently didn't want to send the cart before going on holiday and pretty much vanished after that... so who knows what went on there.

I'm always happy to help anyone reading this in the future who's serious dump / preserve their GB event Pokemon though, although i can't imagine many are still surviving these days.

• Like 1