Restore backup from powersaves/ram2sav to new cart?

tom1

I lost my old Pokemon X cart but I have two backups and I'm wondering is it possible to restore either backup to a new cart using svdt or another tool? One is powersaves and the other is ram2sav. I've searched around but I can't seem to find any answers. I'm aware that each cart has an encryption key but I'm hoping I can get around that with svdt.

Edited by tom1

You need to have the cart it came from to have any hope of decrypting the save on your console. The cart private header used to validate the cartridge when going online is also what makes the encryption of the save unique to that cart. Without the cart you can't decrypt/transfer the save to another game. If you managed to dump a rom of your game and assuming you did it properly, it will have the private header unique to that cartridge. You'll need a flashcart like Gateway or Sky3DS and a way of injecting the encrypted save back into the rom before putting it on your flashcart. (I think there's a program out there that does this, but I forgot what it was called). PowerSaves adds a small header to the beginning of the save file stored on your computer. (assuming you kept backups which you did it looks like). You'd have to strip that out with a hexeditor before trying to inject it back into the rom.

But as I said, this would be a useless endeavor if you don't have a proper dump of the game you lost. It's the private header that you really need.

It's possible one could bruteforce the save if the 6.x encryption key gets leaked as well as the fact that the AES Engine for the 3DS was figured out. But I wouldn't count on it. (that and said key is not something you can get from a forum like this. They won't allow it for obvious reasons)

I also have a Pokemon X save I'd like to use again, but it was from PowerSaves and I don't have the original cartridge. I know it's a lost cause though. Just move on. I recreated my Pokemon save the best I could. I transferred my pokemon to ORAS before I sold my Pokemon X game, so I didn't really lose anything meaningful. :P

Knowing that you said you had a "ram2sav" backup. You should focus on trying to restore that. I don't know for certain, you can get a new game and start a new save. Then what ever method you used for ram2save can be repeated to restore your ram2save backup. But I have no experience with ram2save because I've been spoiled using emunand and savedatafiler, so I never had experience using the things most users here who don't have the luxery of a 9.2 console would have to use. So I can't help you with that unfortunately. :(

EDIT: After some searching, my memory on this is coming back to me. I recall fiddling around with the browser exploits and the old save injection stuff it came with. I could setup a 9.2 emunand and a CIA of Pokemon X and try and get your game save restored and export the result with SaveDataFiler (the resulting save would then be compatible with svdt as I believe svdt explorts/imports saves in a manner similar to SaveDataFiler and the format of the saves is the same)

I would have to assume ram2save method can be used on the eShop version of the game. Hopefully there is no problems attempting to transfer this from cartridge version to the eShop version. But I can at least try. The browser payloads might not work in emunand though now that I recall. If that's the case I'll just do it in sysnand instead. I already have a version of Pokemon X installed there though but don't remember if it was a rom hacked version or not. I recall building a custom rom at some point.

EDIT2: Actually right now it's a normal copy with a modified 1.2 patch installed.

I can just remove the patch and install the official one to work on restoring your save. Don't think I'll need emunand for this.

It probably won't be a 100% complete restore of what your original save was. How far into the game was your save and what version patch was installed at the time that save was made? PM me and I can at least try and help you with this.