Salamance VS Garchomp?

chycorita

Which is better Salamace or Garchomp?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better Salamace or Garchomp?

• Salamance
    • Garchomp

Honestly, it's hard to say. I'd probably say Garchomp. It has a higher speed and a more diverse movepool. Both have a x4 weakness to Ice so it's all preferential. Garchomp has a 394 Attack VS Salamence's 405 Attack, but then there's a 299 Speed VS 303 on Garchomp.

I'd go with Garchomp though. A higher speed is always good, and a ground stab with Earthquake is definately useful. Or Salamence due to its ammunity to ground type moves, which could be rather useful to you...

Seriously, its a tough choice. I'd pick Salamence though.

I love Salemance so much! It's probably my favorite Pseudo-Legend (since Metagross is slowly declining on my favorite's list) and has always been somewhere in the top 10 of my favorites. However, that only goes so far. Garchomp is faster than Salamence and thus, gets to Outrage and kill Salamence first. The only advantages I see that Salamence has over Garchomp are:

1. Salamence gets a higher attack total

2. Salamence is immune to Ground

3. Salamence has a prettier move-pool

4. Salamence has the stats to be a good Special Sweeper

I'd choose Garchomp. Garchomp is stronger (well, in my opinion it is), that's why it was classified in the Uber Group. However, if you do not want an uber in your party you could always go with Salamence.

Garchomp isn't Uber because he is "stronger". Garchomp is Uber because of the fact that there is no ideal counter for it in the OU Tier.

Garchomp isn't Uber because he is "stronger". Garchomp is Uber because of the fact that there is no ideal counter for it in the OU Tier.

Just for accuracy, Garchomp is Uber because his impact on OU was too great.

In any case, I like neither. Salamence lost his appeal long ago, and Garchomp is simply an overrated 'cool' pokemon designed for raving ten year olds. Which is fine, but its not interesting.

In any case, I like neither. Salamence lost his appeal long ago, and Garchomp is simply an overrated 'cool' pokemon designed for raving ten year olds. Which is fine, but its not interesting.

I'll be the first to agree I don't like the design of Garchomp all that much.

But battling wise, Salamence is not a watered down Garchomp. Flygon is a much better example of a watered down Garchomp, though even he gets a few advantages (Levitate ability but still gets the same typing, access to U-Turn, Fly, STAB Dig without being screwed by EQ, and Roost, and 2/3 of the elemental punches)

Garchomp is great for sweeping right off the bat. With its 102 base speed stat it will outspeed most things that dont have boosts or dont have a higher base speed. After a Swords Dance, chomp was basically unstoppable especially if your counters were down.

Salamence needs a dragon dance boost to sweep. After that its only stopped by high priority moves unlike Garchomp who has higher bulk than even swampert and wont be taken down by ANYTHING except ice shard. Scizors CB bullet punch can take out 70% out off a salamence so SR+ sand or LO recoil=death.

They are still 2 different pokes as randomspot said. I like them both very much..........it'll be upto your own preference who you pick. Though in this case i picked garchomp for his higher coverage through STAB attacks and basically higher sweeping capabilities.

• 1 month later...

Judging from their sprite (personal opinion),

Salamence: Looks quite intimidating with wings (besides the fact that they have Intimidate ability). Traditional flying dragon.

Garchomp: Their sprites on Platinum are simply pwned for me lol Looks like it's yelling "Ready to strike, master!!" :grog:

• 1 month later...
I'll admit that Garchomp is better. But that doesn't mean I like Salamence less. Hes been on my team since sapphire version, and no one could replace him.

Not really. Salamence is actually the better of the two dragons. I am not talking about 1 on 1 battle... Garchomp would win that one, but I'd say Salamence is more useful overall. Chomp may be faster than those base 100 speeders (mence included) but I feel its options are a bit lacking... although Swords Dance + Outrage is just insane.

That is not to say Salamence is problem free. It runs into MANY problems. It requires a Dragon Dance to sweep for the most part, can get revenge killed so easily from stuff like Ice Shard or Scizor Bullet Punch, residual damage screws it over (sandstream + stealth rocks + life orb = death), and sometimes it does not deal enough damage to KO. Garchomp can actually take hits and unlike Salamence, is not weak to Stealth Rocks and BENEFITS from the sand, making moves like Ice Beam 80% accurate (ARGH!). Salamence hitting on the special side though is a lot more appealing... especially mixsets which Salamence is a lot more capable of than the sand shark.

EDIT: Actually, with Intimidate factored in, I think Salamence would win one on one against Garchomp.

Edited by wraith89

That doesn't tell me much of how his impact was too great. :\

[HGSSSPRITE]373[/HGSSSPRITE] Salamence FTW

• 2 weeks later...