Pokemon XG : NeXt Gen (Pokemon XD : Gale of Darkness hack)

StarsMmd

Going with just the popular options doesn't sound too interesting to me. I like to use some underappreciated pokemon when i play. Like, in the colosseum Randomizer, i ended up having a new love for Venomoth (Sleep powder snagging ftw)

Everything is going well my G. I'm currently writing a script assembler based off the script disassembler @Tux wrote. I've been really getting the hang of scripting in xD and a program to do it would be really convenient.

I've recently been trying to figure out how feasible it is to add more shadow Pokemon into the game. From everything I've seen so far, there is a very good chance of this. I'll need to run some tests later today. There are a lot of Pokemon that I'd really like to be obtainable in the game but had to be cut due to the limited number.

I just wonder whether that might reduce the enjoyment of the game though. It means more time is spent catching and purifying Pokemon you don't care about for the sake of completion. It might be best to add just a few more mons. I wonder if people would prefer to have every single Pokemon be obtainable in xD. What do you think?

Either way it will be a little while before I start adding more pokemon as each obtainable pokemon needs to have its level up,tutor and tm moves redone to fit XG's new mechanics and this takes time. I'm pushing for a release that is stable before trying to do anything too fancy.

Oh I wouldn't mind at all. I'd love more Shadow Pokemon to give more variety as if it were an actual Pokemon, not to mention the PokeSpot Pokemon since you said you figured out a way to add more, I think. For completion's sake, sure some people wouldn't really care but for the sake of variety because of xD's small cast (Considering half of them are caught in the last 2 areas...), I'd really appreciate that variety and would not only do it for completion but also because there's just more things I can add to my team.

Oh I wouldn't mind at all. I'd love more Shadow Pokemon to give more variety as if it were an actual Pokemon, not to mention the PokeSpot Pokemon since you said you figured out a way to add more, I think. For completion's sake, sure some people wouldn't really care but for the sake of variety because of xD's small cast (Considering half of them are caught in the last 2 areas...), I'd really appreciate that variety and would not only do it for completion but also because there's just more things I can add to my team.

I see what you're saying but let me propose this to you. Let's say there are 100 obtainable pokemon in the game. Out of those 100, you choose a team of 6. If one was to then add 50 more obtainable pokemon to the game, but none of those 50 were worth replacing one of the 6 you already chose. Then has adding those 50 shadow pokemon made the game more enjoyable?

If it was hypothetically possible to choose 100 shadow pokemon such that the majority of players would be happy with their team of 6 then those 100 would be better than 150.

The advantage of having more pokemon is that more people will be able to create their perfect team of 6 since there's a higher chance all of their desired mons is available.

For now it will just be around 100 (the same number as in the original) until things have been tested more. So I will be aiming to have 100 which allow as many people as possible to create their perfect team. Who knows what the future holds though

I see what you're saying but let me propose this to you. Let's say there are 100 obtainable pokemon in the game. Out of those 100, you choose a team of 6. If one was to then add 50 more obtainable pokemon to the game, but none of those 50 were worth replacing one of the 6 you already chose. Then has adding those 50 shadow pokemon made the game more enjoyable?

If it was hypothetically possible to choose 100 shadow pokemon such that the majority of players would be happy with their team of 6 then those 100 would be better than 150.

The advantage of having more pokemon is that more people will be able to create their perfect team of 6 since there's a higher chance all of their desired mons is available.

For now it will just be around 100 (the same number as in the original) until things have been tested more. So I will be aiming to have 100 which allow as many people as possible to create their perfect team. Who knows what the future holds though

Hey man. As far as adding new pokemon goes, I wonder how good it would be if you added eevee as an obtainable pokemon to one of the pokespots :D. Also, re-organizing where some pokemon are obtainable (as an example, if you could catch the first evolution of salamance, which you don't obtain till basically the very end, i think that would be bagon right?) as either a shadow pokemon earlier in the game or a pokespot capture, it would mean people would be able to raise it as their own throught the journey, rather than capturing it late game to be used as a tank in the last battle or something. There's a lot of potential to increase the enjoyment everyone would get out of this game with re-arranging/adding new obtainable pokemon to the game, if done right, I agree. Also, it was pointed out to me by one youtuber that there is a serious lack of fighting type pokemon in the game. Maybe that would make for some good options.

Oh, and on the note of eevee, maybe it would be possible to add a few more stones in places? Just a thought, nothing that would unbalance the game too heavily.

Keep up the good work!

Sif

Hey man. As far as adding new pokemon goes, I wonder how good it would be if you added eevee as an obtainable pokemon to one of the pokespots :D. Also, re-organizing where some pokemon are obtainable (as an example, if you could catch the first evolution of salamance, which you don't obtain till basically the very end, i think that would be bagon right?) as either a shadow pokemon earlier in the game or a pokespot capture, it would mean people would be able to raise it as their own throught the journey, rather than capturing it late game to be used as a tank in the last battle or something. There's a lot of potential to increase the enjoyment everyone would get out of this game with re-arranging/adding new obtainable pokemon to the game, if done right, I agree. Also, it was pointed out to me by one youtuber that there is a serious lack of fighting type pokemon in the game. Maybe that would make for some good options.

Oh, and on the note of eevee, maybe it would be possible to add a few more stones in places? Just a thought, nothing that would unbalance the game too heavily.

Keep up the good work!

Sif

I considered making it possible to get more eevees actually. The thing that changed my mind was that because eevee evolves using the sun/moon shard in xD. It's impossible to get every eeveelution. You'd have to have picked one of the shards at the start and in order to get 4 out of the 5 at best. It isn't necessarily an issue but my aim was to increase the number of obtainable pokemon as much as possible. It is already such a hard decision and so a second eevee slot wasn't enough of a priority. When I add a few more shadow pokemon to the game (assuming it works without issues) then I definitely think that would be a great idea.

As for pokemon such as salamence, I feel the exact same way and I have made the likes of bagon, beldum and dragonair available early enough in the game that they can be used properly. Of course this just means that some other poor pokemon end up being at the end but there isn't much that can be done about that.

There will be a good selection of fighting types and of every type in general. Good type representation was a top priority in deciding which pokemon would be available.

When xD was released, the shadow pokemon in it were actually quite rare. So the pokemon company put pokemon in for the sake of completing the pokedex (like lugia). However that isn't a consideration anymore so the obtainable pokemon have been changed completely. In fact Lugia, eevee and togepi only 2 pokemon are obtainable in the same locations as they were in the original.

With all this being said, every pokemon so far has been decided by me alone. I haven't taken into consideration how other people might feel. So while I feel like my decisions are pretty good I will definitely be open to moving things around based on feedback from the community. Of course, not everyone will agree though but I will be making hack tools for xD this summer so at the very least anyone should be able to tweak the game to their own preferences.

I dunno about anyone else, but I've always wanted to be able to have a Vaporeon learn Bubble Beam in the newer games. Unfortunately, Vaporeon doesn't learn the move while leveling up, and the nature of Eeveelutions rules out teaching it via breeding.

The first and only method existed in Generation 1, when Bubble Beam was TM11, and was given as the prize for beating Misty. And while you can transfer a Vaporeon from Gen 1 to Gen 2, it's currently impossible to transfer from Gen 2 to Gen 3. And personally, it makes no sense that Vaporeon can't learn Bubble Beam: I mean, Its Pokedex entry lists it as the 'Bubble Jet Pokemon'! And Bubble Beam's move description is "A spray of bubbles is forcefully ejected at the target", keyword being 'forcefully'.

Ahem, sorry for the rant. Anyway, I don't suppose making Bubble Beam available to Vaporeon in your xD mod would be at all possible? Perhaps via the Move Tutor or something?

I dunno about anyone else, but I've always wanted to be able to have a Vaporeon learn Bubble Beam in the newer games. Unfortunately, Vaporeon doesn't learn the move while leveling up, and the nature of Eeveelutions rules out teaching it via breeding.

The first and only method existed in Generation 1, when Bubble Beam was TM11, and was given as the prize for beating Misty. And while you can transfer a Vaporeon from Gen 1 to Gen 2, it's currently impossible to transfer from Gen 2 to Gen 3. And personally, it makes no sense that Vaporeon can't learn Bubble Beam: I mean, Its Pokedex entry lists it as the 'Bubble Jet Pokemon'! And Bubble Beam's move description is "A spray of bubbles is forcefully ejected at the target", keyword being 'forcefully'.

Ahem, sorry for the rant. Anyway, I don't suppose making Bubble Beam available to Vaporeon in your xD mod would be at all possible? Perhaps via the Move Tutor or something?

Wow, that's a really specific request. Funnily enough, I just went to add it to vaporeon's level up moveset, turns out I already gave it bubble beam. xD

Man, I really can't wait for this to be done. I need something new to tide me over until sun and moon. Excited the Gamecube hacking community is starting to bloom

Yeah it's really exciting! This is just the beginning. I'm becoming familiar with the scripting system in xD so future updates of XG will have some really cool stuff. Even the raw ASM routines are getting more comfortable for me so I'm eager to see what I can come up with.

Hopefully some people with expertise in models, animations and music will be interested in xD because those are a little out of my scope right now.

Wow, that's a really specific request. Funnily enough, I just went to add it to vaporeon's level up moveset, turns out I already gave it bubble beam. xD

Yay!

Excited the Gamecube hacking community is starting to bloom

Thus, the GameCube continues to be vindicated by history, yes?

It's going pretty well. Should be done with this initial release in a few days ??

That's so sweet. I can't wait to play the game that you've been trying so hard to re-vamp! Maybe you could leak out a spoiler or two of what we should expect that isn't apart of the screenshots? Or possibly add more so that the newer people could re-live the hype that's being dropped upon us?

That's so sweet. I can't wait to play the game that you've been trying so hard to re-vamp! Maybe you could leak out a spoiler or two of what we should expect that isn't apart of the screenshots? Or possibly add more so that the newer people could re-live the hype that's being dropped upon us?

Hmm, I'm not sure where to start there's quite a lot. In general you can expect a completely new selection of shadow pokemon and a steeper level curve making the game more challenging and entertaining. I've tried to put in as many features from newer generations as possible. The most significant being the addition of the fairy type and the physical special split. I also added things for convenience like the ability to learn tutor moves as many times as you want. I'll have a full break down when I post the download link in a few days time.

Hmm, I'm not sure where to start there's quite a lot. In general you can expect a completely new selection of shadow pokemon and a steeper level curve making the game more challenging and entertaining. I've tried to put in as many features from newer generations as possible. The most significant being the addition of the fairy type and the physical special split. I also added things for convenience like the ability to learn tutor moves as many times as you want. I'll have a full break down when I post the download link in a few days time.

download link in a few days ?, cant wait.

****Hyping intensifies****:bidoof::bidoof::bidoof::bidoof::bidoof::bidoof:

i look every day if stars released this game. i hope this hack is compatible with nintendont

Sorry for the long wait but you won't have to wait much longer! I can confirm that it works perfectly on nintendon't. You can use the same settings you would use for regular XDGoD. I think I use "wii u wide screen" without "force wide screen". Forcing wide screen causing some visual errors in places.

I prefer nintendon't just because it runs at full speed consistently and is generally more reliable. The graphics and sound are all perfect. It's actually not too difficult to set up too.

On the other hand, Dolphin has a really cool feature which lets you automatically load custom textures into the game using the common .tga file type and therefore doesn't require any knowledge of the game's texture formats or even which files those textures came from. I thought of making all shadow pokemon have darker textures like shadow lugia does by replacing their shiny colours and then just removing shininess from the game. However, since it would only work in dolphin which can be slow and unreliable at times, I ultimately decided not to.

I'm hoping to find the actual texture files in the ISO eventually and when I do I will be able to use shadow textures directly from the ISO which will work on any emulator. So far no luck though. I know where to look, I'm just not sure what the data is supposed to look like. ?

Stoked that this is coming along (and that it's gained much more attention recently). After you help me set up your tools on my iPad, it was easy for me to see how time-consuming the whole process is. I tried starting a hack of my own but had to pause for lack of time.. hopefully I'll pick that up again this summer.

Looking forward to your release!

Stoked that this is coming along (and that it's gained much more attention recently). After you help me set up your tools on my iPad, it was easy for me to see how time-consuming the whole process is. I tried starting a hack of my own but had to pause for lack of time.. hopefully I'll pick that up again this summer.

Looking forward to your release!

Yeah it really does take a lot of time. You could always use XG as a base since a lot of stuff is already implemented. I'll be making some proper hack tools soon too.

This sounds like what i've been waiting for forever. Nintendo doesn't seem to be releasing a new shadow pokemon game anytime soon so i cant wait to play this.

I know the feeling. Don't know why Shadow pokemon were dead in the water after xD. Unless you count Shadow Mewtwo in Pokken. But this hack will at least build interest in the shadow pokemon genre again

I know the feeling. Don't know why Shadow pokemon were dead in the water after xD. Unless you count Shadow Mewtwo in Pokken. But this hack will at least build interest in the shadow pokemon genre again

I agree so much and I can't wait for the download link to drop.