[GEN 3] Mystery Event/Gift Research

I'm unable to reproduce any of your work.

1) I created a fresh Emerald save and activated Mystery Gift.

2) Using the provided Emerald Save on page 1, I moved 332 bytes from 0x2570 to 0x26bb over to my save.

3) Moved WonderCard checksum at 0x256C-0x256D over to my save.

4) Then I set 0x26C6 and 0x26C7 to 0xFF for Icon.

5) After that, I moved 1000 bytes from 0x28AC to 0x2C93 over to my save.

6) Moved Green Man Script checksum at 0x28A8-0x28A9 over to my save.

7) After injection, I opened and saved my save file with A-Save to repair the checksum.

Loaded up my game and nothing changed.

Then I just tried grabbing the whole chunk from 0x256C to 0x2FF3 and copying it over and still nothing....

I'm unable to reproduce any of your work.

1) I created a fresh Emerald save and activated Mystery Gift.

2) Using the provided Emerald Save on page 1, I moved 332 bytes from 0x2570 to 0x26bb over to my save.

3) Moved WonderCard checksum at 0x256C-0x256D over to my save.

4) Then I set 0x26C6 and 0x26C7 to 0xFF for Icon.

5) After that, I moved 1000 bytes from 0x28AC to 0x2C93 over to my save.

6) Moved Green Man Script checksum at 0x28A8-0x28A9 over to my save.

7) After injection, I opened and saved my save file with A-Save to repair the checksum.

Loaded up my game and nothing changed.

Then I just tried grabbing the whole chunk from 0x256C to 0x2FF3 and copying it over and still nothing....

Possibly you pasted it into the wrong section or maybe you pasted it into the older save section.

Remember that there are 2 of them. In order to make it work you have to paste it into the section where the newest save file is stored.

Also you can copy the whole thing together at once for testing purpose, then you don't have to copy every single part of it.

It's maybe not the most clean way to do it, but it's good for a start. Once you gained experience doing it, you can try it the clean way.

Oh and make sure that you don't mix up the japanese and west versions.

Their Mystery Gift Data is incompatible (due to different data size) and the offsets are too different as well.

Did lostaddict explain to anyone how he resolved the checksum issue?

Well about the checksum routine... I can't talk about it for now.

We decided to not share the algorithm to prevent abuse.

I have sent him an email and I still have hope that lostaddict will respond.

But don't worry, there will be a tool and if he doesn't show up we can work on it without him.

There will be definitely a release in the future.

I will let you guys know if I hear something.

Stay tuned!

Possibly you pasted it into the wrong section or maybe you pasted it into the older save section.

Remember that there are 2 of them. In order to make it work you have to paste it into the section where the newest save file is stored.

Also you can copy the whole thing together at once for testing purpose, then you don't have to copy every single part of it.

It's maybe not the most clean way to do it, but it's good for a start. Once you gained experience doing it, you can try it the clean way.

Oh and make sure that you don't mix up the japanese and west versions.

Their Mystery Gift Data is incompatible (due to different data size) and the offsets are too different as well.

Got it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?s4aenh9h66p7069

Unfinished Checksum Code

//Read the TAB file into memory.
           BinaryReader TAB_reader = new BinaryReader(new FileStream(@"tab.bin", FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.None));
           byte[] TAB_data = TAB_reader.ReadBytes(0x200); // Read 512 bytes into an array
           TAB_reader.Close();

//Read the WonderCard into memory
           BinaryReader WC_reader = new BinaryReader(new FileStream(@"WonderCard.bin", FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.None));
           byte[] WC_data = WC_reader.ReadBytes(0x14D); // Read 332 bytes into an array
           WC_reader.Close();

//BinaryReader WC_reader = new BinaryReader(new FileStream(@"GMScript.bin", FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.None));
           //byte[] WC_data = WC_reader.ReadBytes(0x3E8); // Read 1000 bytes into an array
           //WC_reader.Close();

Int32 iSeed = 0x8530;
           Int32 tabNum;
           Int32 tabVal;

foreach (byte curByte in WC_data)
           {
               tabNum  = (iSeed ^ curByte) & 0xFF;
               tabVal = TAB_data[(tabNum * 2) + 1] << 8 | TAB_data[tabNum * 2];
               byte upper = (byte)(iSeed >> 8);
               iSeed = tabVal ^ upper;
           }

iSeed = ~iSeed & 0x0000FFFF;
           Console.WriteLine("Hexwise result: {0:x}", iSeed);
           Console.WriteLine("Bitwise result: {0}", Convert.ToString(iSeed, 2));
           Console.ReadLine();

Here's the code for checksum validation. This is only up to the last step in Morfeo's example so it's not providing accurate results yet.

When I get home from work, I'll debug Emerald and see exactly what it's doing with the checksum validation.

Edited by comradesean

Does anybody know what happens if I injected the item with one of the tools in the first post, and then put in the wonder card through Morfeo's code? Would I get two of the item, would the game break, or would the second one not be received?

The Wonder Card is just a delivery device. The ticket is yours for good after you've used the Wonder Card by talking to the DeliveryMan.

There's only one Wonder Card per game and Morfeo's code will overwrite whatever is there with the new one.

OK, thanks. Also, if you happen to know, are the injection tools in the first post supposed to give you Wonder Card? I assume not, and that the programs would just give you the item, as I can not seem to get the Wonder Card to appear, even after unlocking mystery gift.

OK, thanks. Also, if you happen to know, are the injection tools in the first post supposed to give you Wonder Card? I assume not, and that the programs would just give you the item, as I can not seem to get the Wonder Card to appear, even after unlocking mystery gift.

It's injecting a Wonder Card.

Make sure that you're using both the Master and Anti-DMA code.

When you insert the Wonder Card code itself make sure you only do two blocks at a time, load your game, and then save. Continue until you run out of blocks. It's all there in the instructions.

I think the only quirk is that you need the latest VBA (not vba-link) and make sure Wireless is enabled.

Takasan's Tools are injecting the Wonder Card and the Mystery Gift Event.

As a matter of fact the Mystery Gift Event is always tied to the Wonder Card.

So the error must be somehwere on your side...

Remember that the Tools only work with the Japanese versions.

It's very important that you use the latest version of vba-link with wireless setting ON.

Whoop, guess I should have been more clear. I meant using the tools like "TicketPE - たかさん's Events Version (for Emerald)".

I think you might be trying this on an English rom. It's an injection and the save structures are different.

You need to create a save using the Japanese rom and then drop the new save into the software. I'm not sure after that, but I think you have to talk to the DeliveryMan before loading your save on the English rom. That probably destroys the WonderCard data?

I think you might be trying this on an English rom. It's an injection and the save structures are different.

You need to create a save using the Japanese rom and then drop the new save into the software. I'm not sure after that, but I think you have to talk to the DeliveryMan before loading your save on the English rom. That probably destroys the WonderCard data?

The Wonder Card + Mystery Gift data is still intact in that case. But only a Japanese ROM can load it.

So theoretically the Wonder Card should be viewable if he loads his save file with the Japanese Emerald Version.

And with the Wonder Card viewable the Mystery Gift gets activated as well.

Just like you said he could go to the 2F in the Pokémon Center and claim the Item and switch back to the english version.

He doesn't has to make a new save in that case. At least that's how it worked when I did some testings before.

comradesean and ajxpkm, once again, my reply/reply with quote buttons are not working, so sorry about that. When I injected the Wonder Card into my game, I actually got my save file extracted from a legitimate Japanese copy of emerald. Even so, I still loaded it up and saved it with the Japanese Rom on my computer before using the tool, just in case. I picked up the ticket (specifically the Aurora Ticket) from the delivery man, saved the game, and checked to see if the Wonder Card was there, and it was not. I then tried to load it up in VBA Link with the wireless adapter on, and the Wonder Card was accessible. Also, just out of curiosity, is the Wonder Card normally only viewable if the Wireless Adapter is inserted into the GBA? Or is this just a side effect from the tool? Thanks for the help :) I plan to re-extract my save file from my Japanese game, inject the Old Sea Map, and shiny hunt for Mew. Gotta love runaways. Thanks broken Emerald RNG. (Going to go for it as legit as is possible in Emerald, so no purposeful RNG abuse).

EDIT: Just tried loading up that save file in an English Rom just out of curiosity. The item is there, but the Wonder Card is not.

comradesean and ajxpkm, once again, my reply/reply with quote buttons are not working, so sorry about that. When I injected the Wonder Card into my game, I actually got my save file extracted from a legitimate Japanese copy of emerald. Even so, I still loaded it up and saved it with the Japanese Rom on my computer before using the tool, just in case. I picked up the ticket (specifically the Aurora Ticket) from the delivery man, saved the game, and checked to see if the Wonder Card was there, and it was not. I then tried to load it up in VBA Link with the wireless adapter on, and the Wonder Card was accessible. Also, just out of curiosity, is the Wonder Card normally only viewable if the Wireless Adapter is inserted into the GBA? Or is this just a side effect from the tool? Thanks for the help :) I plan to re-extract my save file from my Japanese game, inject the Old Sea Map, and shiny hunt for Mew. Gotta love runaways. Thanks broken Emerald RNG. (Going to go for it as legit as is possible in Emerald, so no purposeful RNG abuse).

I'm glad we could help you!

Yes it's true. The Wonder Card is only viewable with an Wireless Adapter.

That's the reason why you can't see it on your GBA.

It's not a sideffect of the Tool, it's just how the game works.

Good hunting!

when the Tool will release?? Any new progress?

Nothing new regarding lostaddict. Looks like he's gone.

I think we might have to live with the fact that he's may not coming back.

But as long as I'm here everything is still there. A lot work has been already done.

I have talked with comradesean about everything and since he knows the checksum algorithm now he's able to make Mystery Gift Events.

Today I gave him the scripts, with that he could work on a new Tool.

Nothing new regarding lostaddict. Looks like he's gone.

I have talked with comradesean about everything and since the checksum algorithm he's able to make Mystery Gift Events now.

Today I gave him the scripts, with that he could work on a new Tool.

Dang, sucks that lostaddict disappeared off the face of the planet. But it sounds like what information was still here brings the tool close to being a reality again? I have no idea how making a program to do it would work, so I don't know if it would take a day (though I doubt it's that low) or a year to complete. Also, just out of curiosity, do you know if there is anything that distinguishes the Wonder Card from "TicketPE - たかさん's Events Version (for Emerald)" from a legitimately received Wonder Card? Assuming that the save file was only ever opened in a Japanese cartridge/rom.

Dang, sucks that lostaddict disappeared off the face of the planet. But it sounds like what information was still here brings the tool close to being a reality again? I have no idea how making a program to do it would work, so I don't know if it would take a day (though I doubt it's that low) or a year to complete. Also, just out of curiosity, do you know if there is anything that distinguishes the Wonder Card from "TicketPE - たかさん's Events Version (for Emerald)" from a legitimately received Wonder Card? Assuming that the save file was only ever opened in a Japanese cartridge/rom.

Yes, I was actually the one who found out about the checksum routine location.

And together with the official distributed Events I was also the one who collected all the scripts we found inside the Roms.

It's all archived and well documented. We could say maybe 50% of this project here was my work so not too much information is lost...

All we basically have to do is figure out about all the Offsets again, where we have to inject the data ect.

For all the different types of versions... About the other stuff like Egg Events and Trainer Events... that could take more time...

And of course, most importantly... a new Tool has to be crafted... but this is all just a matter of time...

How long it takes? Depends on the programmer.

I'm horrible in programming and often busy, so that's why I would like to hand this to someone who's more skilled than me and has time for it.

In my case it would take months to a year to finish the whole project.

I think this time we could make a beta release as soon as the Ticket injection works.

About Takasan's Tools.

The Tool mentioned by you has customized Events.

The real officially distributed Events you can only find in:

TicketPRS (Ruby & Sapphire)

Eon Ticket

TicketP (FireRed & LeafGreen)

Aurora Ticket 2004 SUMMER - Mystic Ticket 2005 WINTER

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13223[/ATTACH]

TicketPEe (Emerald)

Eon Ticket - Mystic Ticket 2005 WINTER - Old Sea Map 2005 SUMMER

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13224[/ATTACH]

These are the Events you can find in the Tools that came from real distributions.

If you want only legit ones be careful to only use the ones I listed.

Originally the reason I linked them in the first post was for research purpose,

This was also the meaning of the whole Thread actually... :rolleyes:

So to answer your question. The customized Old Sea Map from the Tool you mentioned has the wrong color.

While the real one was brown this one is blue. The data is a bit different too, but they actually work the same.

Edited by ajxpkm

Man, the reply button comes and goes as it pleases for me. Anyways, if I use TicketPEe for the Old Sea Map on a Japanese cartrdige, everything would be exactly as it was when originally distributed? Including data, color, etc. Or would the fact that I used the tool to inject it make it technically (even if only slightly) different than if I had legitimately received the event? If it is slightly different, I assume this problem could not be remedied with the creation of a new tool?

Man, the reply button comes and goes as it pleases for me. Anyways, if I use TicketPEe for the Old Sea Map on a Japanese cartrdige, everything would be exactly as it was when originally distributed? Including data, color, etc. Or would the fact that I used the tool to inject it make it technically (even if only slightly) different than if I had legitimately received the event? If it is slightly different, I assume this problem could not be remedied with the creation of a new tool?

That is almost a philosophical question.

In my opinion it is legit. Because the data is identical to the data of a cartridge that was connected to a distribution device.

But there are people out there who wouldn't agree with me and say it's not legit because it didn't came from such a device and was injected in a different way.

The data itself however is identical to one that come from a device... so yeah... I think you need to decide for yourself if it's legit or not. :)

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for :) As far as I am concerned, it is semi-legit, since every piece of data is exactly the same, but it was not put into the cartridge from an official Nintendo event. Anyways, that doesn't matter, since this is the best possible thing now that there is no way to get the event 100% legit from Nintendo. Thanks a million!!!

EDIT: Just to be sure, when you say the real Wonder Card is brown, you mean the color of the second picture for TicketPEe in the original post right?

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for :) As far as I am concerned, it is semi-legit, since every piece of data is exactly the same, but it was not put into the cartridge from an official Nintendo event. Anyways, that doesn't matter, since this is the best possible thing now that there is no way to get the event 100% legit from Nintendo. Thanks a million!!!

EDIT: Just to be sure, when you say the real Wonder Card is brown, you mean the color of the second picture for TicketPEe in the original post right?

I agree with you.

Yes, exactly! That's a Screenshot of the Old Sea Map you can get from the Tool.

The one that was distributed at the PokéFesta in Summer 2005 in Japan.

Official Website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060205094715/http://www.pokemon.co.jp/event/festa2005/game02.html#mew

You can also see the Wonder Card in the Pokéwiki:

http://www.pokewiki.de/Alte_Karte

And here is the original post of the time when I studied about the legality of the official distributed Mystery Gift Events...

Ironically I showed the Old Sea Map as an example.

https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?46883-GEN-3-Mystery-Gift-Research&p=208529&viewfull=1#post208529

And it was just the beginning...

Over the time I have collected and researched so many 3rd Gen Mystery Gift Events that I can easily see which one of them is hacked and which is not.

I was even able to compare them with some of very trustable source. If there's anybody here who knows how to determine it's me.

:)