First Pokemon Colosseum Randomised/Hack !!

StarsMmd

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Stars I am still waiting on XG like I am waiting on Frank Oceans album. Of all people I've trusted you please don't let me down like he has. You'd better blow my mind.

Surprised to see you on the forums ??. Don't worry it's still coming and it won't disappoint!

Edited by StarsMmd

If anybody cares, I made a complete list of Pokemon Masoleum shadow pokemon, TM changes and other miscellaneous things I found. You can view it in this link: http://pastebin.com/13SKKevm

Overall I really enjoyed the hack. No one pokemon feels useless, which was a huge problem in the regular Colosseum (way too many crapmons, especially with no move relearner/move tutor) they all have a wide variety of moves in their movesets and the few crapmons that are actually in this game received huge buffs that make them actually viable and fun to use.

The bosses with this hack lost their "strategies" with the altered teams (Rainish, Sunny EQ spam, status stall spam, Rain team+DoT hax ect) but still remained just as tough, and there was a few clever things done with Evice that caught me off guard.

The scailing is a bit improved in this game but Second Gonzap caught me off guard with his huge increase in levels, and the final trainer battle was fairly difficult as opposed to his battle in the regular game.

Mt Battle also saw a change which in a way makes grinding for level spikes better than the original.

The few things I had a problem with was that protect wasn't buyable anymore ( ;_; ) Light Screen/Reflect lost it's TM status, Pregym got a huge level increase, and the colosseum's received very little (if any for some of the rounds) changes (but with the few changes to Pyrite's makes low level grinding pretty hard to do so). I also wish there were more Chlorophyll/Swift Swim mons (and a shadow castform with buffed stats) to abuse Permaweather. (also what the hell, no Shadow Ludicolo? Unless it's in XG, then you're forgiven)

This was a very nice hack well put together difficulty hack and I may come back to it down the road a few years later just so I can try more team combinations. Looking forward to XG, whenever the hell that comes out (but I'm patient, I've been waiting for a Colosseum ROMhack for almost a decade and almost entirely gave up on the fact that one would come out)

Edited by mellowbusiness

Thanks For the feedback and analysis G. Mausoleum is actually unfinished at the moment. I decided to focus on xD hacking when I figured out the phys/spec split was trivial to implement in xD. I will definitely go back to mausoleum afterwards and I even reckon I could get the phys/spec split in colosseum now that my ASM is a little better.

The larger pool of obtainable pokemon in xD means it's a bit easier to get a good list of shadow pokemon. (yes shadow ludicolo is included). It also allows for more team combination options including rain/sun teams. I put a lot more time and thought into XG so I'm sure it will be worth the wait ?

I Just played this rom hack and i really liked it!

I am currently trying to finish the MT battle to consider it finished :P

I have 2 more zone to complete.

I also noticed a joke at trainer 69.. a very funny team lmao.

I have to congratulate you also for making grinding in MT battle not boring. Hope to see more of this.

Overall it's a good challenge, there is not a lot of weak pokemon, i was kinda questioning the shadow pokemon at first, but i noticed some stat change, and ability along the way.

Obviously this is an unfinished hack, but there were level 0 pokemon at the "bug gym" in the MT battle.

As a feedback, i know the order of shadow pokemon follow kind of the logic of power increase in the story but i would have love to have more dispatched "strong pokemon" through the game, even if it's already good.(I am thinking mostly about the bunch of BST 600 pokemon stacked in the end game)

Could be through the form of previous evolution for example.

Also looks like the AI have some problem with the new moves sometime probably thinking it's something else. So there is a lot of strategy that don't really work (impossible skill swap, double weather setup ect)

As a suggestion i would also gives more AI friendly moves, because some pokemon had "competitive moveset", but sometimes it's not necessarly the most optimal choice for them.

Another big thing to think about is battle items, giving the player access to more item to play with can be really interesting, as well as adding them to opposite team.

I am excited to see what you have in store for pokemon xD.

I hope many people will try this one hack because i had a lot of fun.

I Just played this rom hack and i really liked it!

I am currently trying to finish the MT battle to consider it finished :P

I have 2 more zone to complete.

I also noticed a joke at trainer 69.. a very funny team lmao.

I have to congratulate you also for making grinding in MT battle not boring. Hope to see more of this.

Overall it's a good challenge, there is not a lot of weak pokemon, i was kinda questioning the shadow pokemon at first, but i noticed some stat change, and ability along the way.

Obviously this is an unfinished hack, but there were level 0 pokemon at the "bug gym" in the MT battle.

As a feedback, i know the order of shadow pokemon follow kind of the logic of power increase in the story but i would have love to have more dispatched "strong pokemon" through the game, even if it's already good.(I am thinking mostly about the bunch of BST 600 pokemon stacked in the end game)

Could be through the form of previous evolution for example.

Also looks like the AI have some problem with the new moves sometime probably thinking it's something else. So there is a lot of strategy that don't really work (impossible skill swap, double weather setup ect)

As a suggestion i would also gives more AI friendly moves, because some pokemon had "competitive moveset", but sometimes it's not necessarly the most optimal choice for them.

Another big thing to think about is battle items, giving the player access to more item to play with can be really interesting, as well as adding them to opposite team.

I am excited to see what you have in store for pokemon xD.

I hope many people will try this one hack because i had a lot of fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hacking colosseum was quite challenging considering the mechanics and pokemon availability are so different from other games. Also, there is the fact that nobody else had ever made a colo hack (at least not publicly) so there wasn't much to compare to. There is definitely a lot to learn from where mausoleum lacked slightly.

In terms of the shadow pokemon distribution, it's actually something I struggled with a lot since there are so few slots available and so many legendaries that they just ended up getting piled up at the end. It's hard putting them earlier (especially legendaries without preevolutions) because they tend to tear through cpu teams and make the game far too easy. They also don't encourage diversity in player teams. Every time anyone played through the games they would be far more likely to use the same few pokemon. At least from my experience of the game, I often found myself torn between different team compositions. On the flip side of things, if high BST pokemon appear earlier, that pushes some of the lower BST pokemon later in the game. For a lot of pokemon, if they are encountered near the end they become really irrelevant and are too late to be considered.

I really liked the idea of being to change your team constantly through the playthrough, rather than sticking to the same few pokemon because they're already high levelled. This is why I put a particular emphasis on mt.battle as that is the best way to grind. It means that the player should be able to enjoy grinding a little bit more and be able to update their team through the playthrough without fear of being under levelled. It's really great to see that people are responding well to the updated mt. battle.

The AI problem is something I hadn't foreseen and hadn't done much research on the different AIs available. It's quite a shame because some of the trainers have really innovative move sets but just spam one move.

The items is a result of a lack of research atm. The only way I was able to introduce new/different items was through giving held items to shadow pokemon. I still haven't even found where the poke mart data is stored but I should probably take another look now that more research has been done.

These are all things I'll be hoping to improve in xD!

Thanks for the feedback. :))

While I very much appreciate and enjoy the random patches (It would be great if you could release a tool to create new ones btw) I feel I should probably warn everyone that Patch C is basically impossible to get going in it's current state.

You start with a Charmander with Smog and Mud Shot and a Ralts with Skull Bash. Willy has a Mewtwo with Psycho Boost and Sky Attack. Without grinding the fight over and over and over and over you're never going to get anywhere.

EDIT: Oh god the second fight is even worse.

Edited by Captain Fargle

While I very much appreciate and enjoy the random patches (It would be great if you could release a tool to create new ones btw) I feel I should probably warn everyone that Patch C is basically impossible to get going in it's current state.

You start with a Charmander with Smog and Mud Shot and a Ralts with Skull Bash. Willy has a Mewtwo with Psycho Boost and Sky Attack. Without grinding the fight over and over and over and over you're never going to get anywhere.

Working on it. Will probably only be on OSX for now but will have the source code available if anyone wants to port it later.

That was my first patch and I beat it by the way. It gets very easy after those two fights. Right now I'm just waiting on a randomized abilities version to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
me too. I dont know how to solve it.

If you read the posts after the one you quoted I explained what was wrong. You might have missed out the same step. Alternatively, there is a useful video tutorial by Hawluchamp on YouTube:

• 2 weeks later...
i made it so that the same trainer will have the same shadow pokemon with the same moves like in the original however I didn't make sure the rest of their teams stayed the same. In colosseum most shadow pokemon appear more than once so I thought it was at least important to keep then the same.

As you probably know the game stores separate versions of the team with and without the shadow pokemon giving the illusion of just one pokemon being switched or removed. I'll have to see if there is an easy way to identify when a tram is a shadowless version of another. I could also try and make it so that trainer teams with the same trainer name use similar Pokemon.

If anybody else has any other ideas/improvements let me know and I'll make some new patches.

Quick question, is there a randomized Version which contains jirachi and celebi? If no could you insert them into one hack?? That would be pretty awesome, just for trading to the GBA games.

And btw is it possible to trade Form NTSC too PAL?

Sorry for the double question, but the second one kinda isnt worth their own thread xD

I wanna give Masoleum a try, but when I run the game on Dolphin I get a black screen. The sound is playing so the game's on, but there's no picture.

You can play it on dolphin. You most likely didn't patch the files properly.

Check out this

by Hawluchamp on youtube.
Quick question, is there a randomized Version which contains jirachi and celebi? If no could you insert them into one hack?? That would be pretty awesome, just for trading to the GBA games.

If you really want them in the GBA games, there are much easier ways to achieve this. What you are suggesting requires you to play through the whole of pokemon colosseum just to trade them. I'm sure it would be easy to use save editors or cheat devices of sorts.

And btw is it possible to trade Form NTSC too PAL?

Sorry for the double question, but the second one kinda isnt worth their own thread xD

I have no idea actually.

------------------------------------------------

I've added a patch for the extreme randomised version in the original post

I patched the game exactly as Hawluchamp did.

Now it seems the issue is gone after messing around with the settings a bit. Huh. Now I can play :)

Though there is this issue now: I tried to save at the PC and it says the Memory Card in Slot A is corrupted and needs to be formatted. I know I can use save states instead, but is there a way to fix this or should I just go save states all the way?

Also, I noticed mellowbusiness mentioned in the pastebin that Umbreon had Shield Dust as its ability now, but my game says Synchronize.

Now it seems the issue is gone after messing around with the settings a bit. Huh. Now I can play :)

Though there is this issue now: I tried to save at the PC and it says the Memory Card in Slot A is corrupted and needs to be formatted. I know I can use save states instead, but is there a way to fix this or should I just go save states all the way?

Also, I noticed mellowbusiness mentioned in the pastebin that Umbreon had Shield Dust as its ability now, but my game says Synchronize.

Think i had that problem once when playing through the game and pretty sure it had something to do with the memcard location path conflicting with the memcard files itself so just make sure the path and the actual memcard files are in the same location. Should fix the problem.

I'm not sure about the memory card problem but it must be something to do with your settings on dolphin. You may need a new memory card file or may just need to delete the save data from your memory card file. Try playing around with the memcard manager under "tools".

If you used a save state/ save file from a non-patched colosseum, then that could explain the difference in abilities.

Just got up to Miror B. and beat him (caught Jirachi in one go too)

This hack is amazing~ all the shadow mons fit the trainers pretty well so far (except for Miror B., why Jirachi and not a Ludicolo? ;p)

Now something weird happened to my Altaira as I was making my way to Miror B.; I had all my shadow mons in hyper mode so I wouldn't have much trouble for the fight, and during a battle Altaira snapped out of Hyper Mode by itself (box even came up and said "ALTARIA came to its senses.") Idk if you modified something like this (unlikely) but I never knew that was even possible before. Weird.

Can you actually set certain shadow pokemon to be shiny 100% of the time?

Just got up to Miror B. and beat him (caught Jirachi in one go too)

This hack is amazing~ all the shadow mons fit the trainers pretty well so far (except for Miror B., why Jirachi and not a Ludicolo? ;p)

I wanted him to have a legendary but not something too powerful.

Now something weird happened to my Altaira as I was making my way to Miror B.; I had all my shadow mons in hyper mode so I wouldn't have much trouble for the fight, and during a battle Altaira snapped out of Hyper Mode by itself (box even came up and said "ALTARIA came to its senses.") Idk if you modified something like this (unlikely) but I never knew that was even possible before. Weird.

That's strange. It wasn't anything that I did so I guess it must be programmed into the game. That's pretty interesting. I feel like I may have seen it before but I really can't remember for sure.

Can you actually set certain shadow pokemon to be shiny 100% of the time?

It's possible to do although it would take a very brief amount of time to find it first. I know where all the code for that is in xD but haven't looked into colosseum as deeply.