Pokémon Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire v2.2 (New Luma3DS 7.0+ Drag and Drop supported!)

Dio_Vento

Hello Dio_Vento! First, I would like to thank you for making such an awesome Pokemon rom hack. I've been playing Pokemon ever since it came out in Red/Blue/Green, and there was always that one Pokemon that I'm not satisfied with regarding their types such as: Charizard [fire]. He's now fire / flying or fire / dragon which is cool. I'm here wondering if you can edit the types of certain Pokemon? I don't know much about Pokemon competitively but in a casual battle, I know Golduck is ridiculously underpowered because he doesn't get STAB from psychic type moves. He may still be underpowered after the change but at least it'll make him a more viable choice. There are some Pokemon who aren't underpowered but visually shows they should possess a type, but isn't. Take Luxray for example, I would assume he's an Electric / Dark type just by looking at him, shocked to find out he's only an Electric type. There were previous rom hacks that changed this, though they were from the nds generation. I've thought about changing it myself, but the process does seem a bit complicated so I thought I'd ask you first. Thanks for reading and making this rom hack.

Yes, changing the base typing of Pokémon is possible for 3DS hacking with the tool I used to create my ROM hacks (pk3DS). I chose not to include these changes in my ROM hacks because I wanted to make a "challenge mode" for players who know their way around the series and I didn't want to rely on cheap tricks like "Oh, you thought Flamethrower would be super-effective against Serperior? Sorry, it's Grass/Dragon now and also has Draco Meteor".

Thank you for the hack. I have some issues though. I tried to look into trainer info but pk3DS couldn't load some of them like Edwin 387. I can't dump trainer info to a text file too. Please help me with this problem. Thank you.

Try a newer version of PK3DS. Edwin's (rematch) data loads fine in my PK3DS. I don't know if new versions have fixed this, but previously I couldn't export my trainer battle list to text either. Something about the fact that I'd added so much data (full movesets, items, more pokemon per trainer, lots of stuff the base game didn't have) just made it fail.

Edited by Dio_Vento

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the reply. What I'm trying to do is maxing AI difficulty but I keep getting an error message saying 'Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...'

If you're trying to do that to my ROM hack, don't bother. It's already set at high-to-max AI for all the important battles, and only a couple fights have (intentionally) low to mid AI.

Edited by Dio_Vento

• 3 weeks later...

Ive tried everything to get this to work and my gateway will not read the file.

I have a 3ds on firmware 4.5.0 with the exploit. I know im decrypting the ROM correctly on the 3DS because I have pokemon neo Y on the GW and its functioning just fine. I run the ROM through the hackingtoolkit.bat, press D and Ive tried saying no to the next prompt(about the decryption) and ive tried saying yes. Then when building the the ROM back up after dragging in the new files in the distribution folder (which I re downloaded at least twice just to make sure it wasnt that I chose the wrong one or an older version) after the tool says "changed name from code.bin to .code.bin ive said yes to load the defaults and no and it still doesnt work. I know im probably missing something simple, but there are to many variables left out with the instructions that the page has.

I just want this to work, thats all

Ive tried everything to get this to work and my gateway will not read the file.

I have a 3ds on firmware 4.5.0 with the exploit. I know im decrypting the ROM correctly on the 3DS because I have pokemon neo Y on the GW and its functioning just fine. I run the ROM through the hackingtoolkit.bat, press D and Ive tried saying no to the next prompt(about the decryption) and ive tried saying yes. Then when building the the ROM back up after dragging in the new files in the distribution folder (which I re downloaded at least twice just to make sure it wasnt that I chose the wrong one or an older version) after the tool says "changed name from code.bin to .code.bin ive said yes to load the defaults and no and it still doesnt work. I know im probably missing something simple, but there are to many variables left out with the instructions that the page has.

I just want this to work, thats all

To make sure, you're repacking using 3DS Builder?

• 2 weeks later...
But that needs the full ROM, doesn't it? And there's no way to legally dump my game on 9.2+ yet, right?

Correct. There's already some homebrew functions made that can utilize romfs access to get files, but afaik there's no 'dump' yet for the romfs/exefs(code).

Did you edit the romFS with a hex editor? I forgot and have a black screen. When I get a chance, I'm going to try it to see if it works.

I have the same issue as Mantager and I did in fact do the hex editor thing. Here's the steps I took most recently (tried so many things...)

- Dump game using braindump

- Edit it in HxD

- rename it to ssapphire.bin

- put all files on SD card appropriately.

- notice that for god knows what reason my homebrew launcher refuses to see the star sapphire forwarder thus rename the ssapphire.bin and .code files to 0011C500.bin and .code (since that is the titleid according to HANS)

(note: it also doesn't show the eshop thing anymore...)

- after all that run it through HANS saying with options: region=--- / language=-- / firmware spoof=no / overclock=default (old3ds) / load code and romfs=yes / save config=yes

- it loads some stuff then gets this black screen:

712PqGI.jpg

I have the same issue as Mantager and I did in fact do the hex editor thing. Here's the steps I took most recently (tried so many things...)

- Edit it in HxD

- notice that for god knows what reason my homebrew launcher refuses to see the star sapphire forwarder thus rename the ssapphire.bin and .code files to 0011C500.bin and .code (since that is the titleid according to HANS)

- after all that run it through HANS saying with options: region=--- / language=-- / firmware spoof=no / overclock=default (old3ds) / load code and romfs=yes / save config=yes

712PqGI.jpg

I didn't tried this ORAS hack yet, but these steps worked with me so far, for Pokémon Neo Y and CTGP-7 (Mario Kart 7 mod). I changed the instructions from the looks of this ORAS mod download pack:

1) Before everything, open your game through HANS and mark their titleid.

2) Dump your game with BrainDumps

3) Download the PackHack kit, available here: http://pastebin.com/A1s8cmsD

4) Extract it, open RomFS Extractor and choose your romfs.bin dumped from your original game. A folder named romfs_ should appear at the end

5) Download this ORAS pack according to your desired game, extract it. Look for the folder "a" inside the "romfs" folder. Copy the "a" folder

6) Now open the "romfs_" generated on Step 4, and paste the "a" folder. When you're asked to overwrite files, say "Yes".

7) After that, open the PackHack kit again, open the RomFS Builder, and repack the "romfs_" folder. At the end, you will be asked to save this file: use the format "titleid.romfs" for saving this file.

8) Now, open HxD ( http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ ). Select the Hex bytes since the beginning, until the 0xFFF line (doing that, you will see the number "1000" on the foot of the program. Click to enlarge this example pic)

7ba651443374340.jpg

9) Delete these selected Hex bytes, then save.

10) Place this edited titleid.romfs on the "hans" folder on your SD Card, boot the 3DS, then HANS through HBL.

11) Just set the ROMFS option to "Yes", then boot your game.

It should work. :)

- Edit it in HxD

712PqGI.jpg

The obvious thing is that you named it "ssapphire.bin" when it should be "ssapphire.romfs". Don't name it 0011C500, I have a launcher specifically for Star Sapphire that will load the files with the proper settings. If that's not showing up, you put the files StarSapphire.smdh and StarSapphire.xml in the wrong place. They should be in sd:/3ds right next to the eshop smdh. Finally, I didn't see any step where you actually decompile the romfs and put the hack files into it. If you did what I just said without decompressing the romfs and overwriting the files, you'd get the item changes but nothing else.

Moderators, it wouldn't be okay for me to distribute modified *.romFS files (with the first 1000 bytes stripped), would it? Those files would only be usable with Hans (and thus require a retail copy of the game), since you need those 1000 bytes to recompile a ROM for piracy purposes. It would be really nice if I could distribute RR/SS as a "drag and drop" package.

Edited by Dio_Vento