I need some help with modifying a Pokémon Red ROM.

Now before I begin I will say yes, I do own a legal copy of Pokémon Red in fact I bought it when it was new.

Anyway I'm thinking about making a video later this month that's like this:

The player goes to Route 1 and a level 95 Scolipede uses hyper beam.

My question is how is the best way to make it look as believable as possible?

For starters I'm not sure how to make a Scolipede sprite look like it's from Pokémon Red, honestly I think I might even need someone else to make that sprite for me, don't worry when I make the video I will give credit to whoever does it.

I'm sure I don't have to entirely edit the ROM itself, I can just modify the ROM a little bit and do the rest of the edits in Movie Studio Platnium 13.0 which is the program I use.

My plan is just remove the sprite from the Pokémon Red game, and add it back in in the program. But I'm not sure how I'll make it work, that's why I'm asking.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered will make everything considerably easier for you, in particular sprite replacement and making sure that the sprite given is valid (IIRC the limit is 64x64 and with two or three shades of gray). Then you'll want to just replace the name and sprite of some mon, like Rattata, and adjust the route 1 encounter table.

If you want your scenario to happen with the first battle (i.e., before you even get a Pokemon), you'll also need to change the default battle type to the Safari Zone battle type.

grep(1) is your friend here since the source is relatively large.

I looked at the font, and yeah, it does seem easy to copy. If someone can tell me what the font is, I could put it in the video clip myself with Movie Studio Platinum.

And yes, I am trying to edit a video clip to make it look like a hack. I'm not trying to edit the ROM itself.

Can someone tell me where I can request someone more experienced to make a Red-style sprite of a Gen 5 Pokémon?

Well I have decided I will edit the ROM itself for the most part, I got the tools I need. I already figured out how to make a wild Pokémon use hyper beam, and I have figured out how to modify the level, but what I don't know is how I can change the Pokémon's official name and how to replace the Pokémon's sprite on the battlefield. I have realized that simply putting a new sprite in to the video clip won't work since hyper beam in that generation also means blinking a bit.

I also still need help with finding someone experienced to make the sprite for me. Does anyone know where I can ask for help with that? If not I'll try making the sprite myself, which won't be easy as making sprites isn't something I'm used to doing.

https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered will make everything considerably easier for you, in particular sprite replacement and making sure that the sprite given is valid (IIRC the limit is 64x64 and with two or three shades of gray). Then you'll want to just replace the name and sprite of some mon, like Rattata, and adjust the route 1 encounter table.

If you want your scenario to happen with the first battle (i.e., before you even get a Pokemon), you'll also need to change the default battle type to the Safari Zone battle type.

grep(1) is your friend here since the source is relatively large.

I tried that link but it doesn't help much as I have no idea how to open these files. If it helps I use Windows 7.

And I want it to happen in the first wild battle, after I already beat my rival.

EDIT: It's been almost a full day and no help yet. Ah well guess I have to figure this all out on my own, won't be easy, but I can do it.

Edited by Blaze The Movie Fan