pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

If you haven't read prior pages; failing to open editors right after dumping your game should obviously imply your dump is bad.

Bad guides result in bad dumps. Bad dumps are not the responsibility of pk3DS to help you correct; pk3DS expects clean & valid dumps in order to operate as intended.

Maybe it was the dump, but I have tried dumps in several different ways, the latest was via godmod9 using Zeta's dumping scripts. What would you recommend I use in order to preform a proper dump? And is there anything useful in that .dmp file that could indicate what exactly the issue is? Keeping in mind that crash.dmp was generated on the 3DS as soon as I tried to launch the randomizer.

Another question too, so following this guide (the first set of directions using poketool.exe) it does not specify what to do with the exefs folder: https://zetadesigns.github.io/randomizing-layeredfs.html.

Edited by Fops1048

I finally got it working! It was my dump- I instead decrypted the catridge from godmod9 instead of dumping or using anything else. Then I used ctrtool to extract it into romfs and exe folders. I knew as soon as I loaded it into pk3DS I had done something right- the exe was editable! Turns out the Youtube tutorial was correct, just a slightly different dumping method was required to make it work properly. Maybe it is different for US/UM but I'll be using this method from now on regardless. So I now have fully randomized X and Y versions up and running, and the technique down! Not to mention I increased shiny rate to 30% for fun and have been having some amazing encounters lol.

Now that I know how to do it... I'm gonna one day build the impossible game that's incredibly hard to beat lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this belongs here but I have a slight problem. I was trying to repack 3226.bin from 0/8/3 using the file_0000x files. However every time I run the game, in the same area the map is half loaded and no npc's are loaded either. Initially I did change the textures from the file_0000 contents and thought that was breaking it but I extracted those same clean files, repacked them without doing anything to them, and the same thing still happens. I've been able to change NPC textures on other places fine except for a few other which the similar thing happens.

p.png

On 2/9/2015 at 11:40 PM, Kaphotics said:

Edited ROMs can only be played on exploited consoles.

Please do not ask (nor private message me) how to obtain/dump/decrypt/unpack/repack ROMs as that is unrelated to the functionality of this program.

Download Link At Bottom of Post

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f44rQd9Kxr.png

pk3DS is a ROM editor for 3DS games with tools from various contributors.

All editors displayed are fully functional.

Simply feed it a folder (drag/drop or by File->Open) which contains the game romfs & exefs extracted content folders.

iEsoudA.png

Randomizers available:

• Trainer Battles (Pokemon / Items / Moves / Abilities / Difficulty / Classes)
  • Wild Encounters (Species, Level, Gen/Legend Specific, ORAS DexNav won't crash!)
  • Personal Data (Pokemon Types / Stats / Abilities / TM Learnset)
  • Move Randomizer (Type / Damage Category)
  • Move Learnset (Level Up / Egg Move)
  • Evolutions
  • TM Moves
  • Special Mart Inventory
  • etc

Download the latest version here (log in as guest, zip is under Artifacts tab)

Source code is available on my GitHub.

this does not help. what am I supposed to put in exe and what am I supposed to put in romfs?

26 minutes ago, CureMath said:

this does not help. what am I supposed to put in exe and what am I supposed to put in romfs?

>Simply feed it a folder (drag/drop or by File->Open) which contains the game romfs & exefs extracted content folders.

>Please do not ask (nor private message me) how to obtain/dump/decrypt/unpack/repack ROMs as that is unrelated to the functionality of this program.

Read. The. First. Post.

Or watch a tutorial video if you're unable to read a long body of text.

Hello! Thank you so much for your continued support with this tool :)

I have managed to extract a .cia of Ultra Moon and edit it. When I rebuild it, however, FBI will go all the way through installing it, then throw up an error (for anyone like me googling the error code looking for posts like this one about it, it was 0xd8a08012). I was worried at first about SD card space (I have 19GB free though) and/or having rebuilt it incorrectly, but when I re-extracted it in HackingToolkit9DS and opened those contents in pk3DS, it shows all the changes that I made - and it's able to open it fine, no crashing on specific windows or anything.

All I've done was extract the .cia to an empty directory, open it/edit it in pk3DS, and then rebuild it. Are there extra steps I should be taking? Or, rather: I'm not asking for a guide so much as whether or not you think that I may have missed a step with your program, and not another one you don't support, aha.

Any info you might need besides that: I'm trying to play it on a New 3DS with Luma as its CFW. I did edit the shiny rate, but it was my understanding that that should work with Luma - and, if it didn't, it would just use its normal values, not fail to install.

Edited by Snowstar837
Adding more info retroactively 3 seconds after my post as usual

On 9/17/2019 at 12:40 AM, Kaphotics said:

>Simply feed it a folder (drag/drop or by File->Open) which contains the game romfs & exefs extracted content folders.

>Please do not ask (nor private message me) how to obtain/dump/decrypt/unpack/repack ROMs as that is unrelated to the functionality of this program.

Read. The. First. Post.

Or watch a tutorial video if you're unable to read a long body of text.

I saw every word of the first post and it didn't make sense. but there is no such thing as romfs or exefs. the game is only a cia.

5 hours ago, CureMath said:

I saw every word of the first post and it didn't make sense. but there is no such thing as romfs or exefs. the game is only a cia.

romfs and exefs is something you unpack and extract from the 3ds/cia.

Thus, this goes back to what he said about:

You could try this tool, though I personally don't use it, so if you encounter any issues, I won't be able to help you with it.

In any case, this thread is meant for issues relating to the functionality of pk3DS, so make sure any further posts you have on this thread is about that. :)

• Like 1

Hi, how's it going. Sooo, i'm getting some issues when it comes to randomize certain things. Namely, i've obtained this error when trying to randomize trainers. It's happened in 2 different games, and i don't know why. Similarly, i get an error when trying to randomize wild encounters in Alpha Sapphire. I got to randomize X with no problems, so i don't know why the issues now when i have extracted the rom the same way. ¿Any help, pls?

Spoiler

Exception Details:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: El valor de '15' no es válido para 'Value'. 'Value' debería estar entre 'Minimum' y 'Maximum'.
Nombre del parámetro: Value
   en System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
   en pk3DS.RandSettings.TryGetValue(Control ctrl, String s) en C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Tools\RandSettings.cs:línea 97
   en pk3DS.RandSettings.GetFormSettings(Form form, ControlCollection controls) en C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Tools\RandSettings.cs:línea 45
   en pk3DS.RSTE.B_Randomize_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) en C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen6\RSTE.cs:línea 467
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.402, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
E:\Juegos\Pokémon- Editores\Randomizador Pokémon 3DS\pk3DS\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=es, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_es_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
E:\Juegos\Pokémon- Editores\Randomizador Pokémon 3DS\pk3DS\pk3DS.Core.dll

mscorlib.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=es, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mscorlib.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_es_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.resources.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.

Whenever I try to load pk3DS I get this error message:

Exception Details:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
   at pk3DS.Main.ChangeLanguage(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at pk3DS.Main..ctor()
   at pk3DS.Program.Main()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------

C:\Users\[redacted]\Desktop\pk3DS.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

--------------------
User Message:
The program must now close.

Anyone know what's going on with this? It was opening fine earlier today, but after I extracted my 3ds file and tried to open it again it suddenly started doing this.

Just a little question.
But it is impossible to make trainers have shiny pokemon in gen 6 right?
I've been looking for it but i am unable to find where.
I was able to when i did a UsUm one so i thought that maybe it was because pokemon in OrAs(Gen 6) were never coded to be able to be shiny.

Hmm, no reply yet... As an added to my previous post, i get this error (unable to randomize trainers and wild encounters) in both Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. I've tried both the EUR and USA versions and both fail at the same points, so it's likely something messed up with pk3ds. X and Moon give me no problem.

2 hours ago, Lunar_Ohmus said:

Hmm, no reply yet... As an added to my previous post, i get this error (unable to randomize trainers and wild encounters) in both Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. I've tried both the EUR and USA versions and both fail at the same points, so it's likely something messed up with pk3ds. X and Moon give me no problem.

Dump your own ROM instead of blaming the program.

It works fine for OR/AS, assuming you've dumped your ROM correctly.

image.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Dump your own ROM instead of blaming the program.

It works fine for OR/AS, assuming you've dumped your ROM correctly.

image.png

Now i get an answer! xD I dumped my own rom and it didn't work for a couple options (trainers and another one). While dumping the rom the same way worked for X and Moon. Maybe i'll need to dump them in other way or something, i don't know.

Hi guys!
I am part of a project to translate all Pokémon games to brazilian portuguese and i'm using PK3DS, so, I'm very thankful for this excellent feature.

So, I'm getting a error message when I try to acess the files on Title Screen, using the "Title Screen" button.

I can't see any images on screen and when I try to extract the files in "save as", I get the error:

Exception Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Referência de objeto não definida para uma instância de um objeto.
   em pk3DS.TitleScreenEditor6.clickSave(Object sender, EventArgs e) na C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen6\TitleScreenEditor6.cs:linha 244
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   em System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   em System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------

C:\Users\Fred\3D Objects\ELITE DOS QUATRO TRADUÇÕES\001 PK3DS\pk3DS Build 402\pk3DS.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=pt-BR, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_pt-BR_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Fred\3D Objects\ELITE DOS QUATRO TRADUÇÕES\001 PK3DS\pk3DS Build 402\pk3DS.Core.dll

Accessibility, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll

mscorlib.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=pt-BR, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mscorlib.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_pt-BR_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.resources.dll

--------------------
User Message:
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.

The program don't save the file.

I'm using the lastest version and I'm trying to use in Pokémon X / Y versions.

Oh! I have a suggestion to make the program compatible with other Pokémon games too, including Pokémon Bank.

Thank you for your amazing work.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Hey, I'm running into an error I can't find anything about. I loaded my randomized Alpha Sapphire rom, but nothing was randomized anymore. I had pk3ds open, but it didn't do anything. Is there something wrong?

Edit: This was a game I was playing yesterday. Everything was perfectly fine, and I closed the game and pk3ds. This is what happened when I started it up today.

Edited by Devbow

So I've got a 3ds and Ultra Moon on the way, and had a quick question.

I saw the option to edit a pokemon's stats, is there a way to mass edit all the pokemon to have the same stats (or alternatively, a way to save and load Personal Stat changes)?

I'm interested in doing a largely randomized run, but one where all the pokemon have equal stats; with the discerning features being typing/abilities/natures.

Edit: Actually, is it possible to entirely remove an item from being distributed by the randomizer? (say, setting it's % chance to appear/be a held item to 0%)

Edited by fepp

Quick update about my question. I've downloaded build 401 of pk3DS. This one didn't give me a single issue when randomizing ORAS while the 402 build didn't allow me to modify neither Trainers, nor random encounters for those games. So yeah, it WAS the program. Don't know why, but the 402 build has something messed up when it comes to those games. Worked well with X and Moon, tho.