pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

I can randomize the romfs files but something like the tms I don't really know how to do. I have tryed everything that I think of but nothing worked. Can someone make me feel dumb and explain what i have to do to randomize the tms?

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Just 1 more question. If I randomize so I can find wild megas. How do I keep them as mega pokemon because I know from past experiences they revert to base form when saving with one in your party.

Having it in your Box doesn’t revert the Form after exiting the game.

10 minutes ago, RSiopa said:

I can randomize the romfs files but something like the tms I don't really know how to do. I have tryed everything that I think of but nothing worked. Can someone make me feel dumb and explain what i have to do to randomize the tms?

Make sure your code.bin is decompressed, edit with the TM editor in the ExeFS tab. When done, rename .code.bin to code.bin and move it to the appropriate location on your SD Card (assuming Luma LayeredFS, sd:/luma/titles/<titleid>/)

Well I guess enough frustration set in for me to sign up here and ask for help.

I've been messing around with Pokémon X for a while now and have made loads of changes to stuff, and obviously since not everything is easy to test on any save, I've started modifying saves as well so I can test stuff out, but recently I've been constantly stopped by a very annoying issue where I just can't save the game.

It happens pretty much all the time, everytime I press the save button (specifically the "yes" button on the save prompt) I just get a soft lock where the game just freezes there though the music keeps playing. Very occasionally it saves just fine, but it seems to be completely random as I haven't yet been able to replicate it consistently (well when I beat the Elite 4 once it saved just fine when every other attempt at saving wasn't doing it, but I've only tried that once because it's not exactly the most useful method of saving).

For the longest time I assumed this was an issue with PKHex interacting with a hacked game and creating a corrupted save in the process, or maybe just JK Save Manager was screwing something up, but now I just tried fixing it by deleting everything and reinstalling the game without any previous save data, and it still happened, so I'm led to believe it's being caused by something I changed on PK3DS (just tested saving on a vanilla game and as expected it works).

Does anyone have any idea on what it might be? I've done edits on a lot of RomFS stuff and had messed around with CRO a bit as well, but I've already tried deleting the modded CRO files and it still didn't work (and I had also tried changing ExeFS stuff but gave up on it because I didn't know how to bring those changes into the game). I'm using Luma v8.1.1 on a 11.2.0-35U 3DS.

Edited by NamelessWhatever

10 hours ago, NamelessWhatever said:

Does anyone have any idea on what it might be? I've done edits on a lot of RomFS stuff and had messed around with CRO a bit as well, but I've already tried deleting the modded CRO files and it still didn't work (and I had also tried changing ExeFS stuff but gave up on it because I didn't know how to bring those changes into the game).

Read my last comment here regarding ExeFS edits. As for the rest, I have 2 questions:

1. What are you using to run the mods? Luma LayeredFS? NTR LayeredFS? A rebuilt CIA?
2. What changes did you make? Would need to know every last one, since I've been playing a Pokemon X randomizer with no issues whatsoever.

35 minutes ago, sora10pls said:

Read my last comment here regarding ExeFS edits. As for the rest, I have 2 questions:

1. What are you using to run the mods? Luma LayeredFS? NTR LayeredFS? A rebuilt CIA?
2. What changes did you make? Would need to know every last one, since I've been playing a Pokemon X randomizer with no issues whatsoever.

I don't really understand much about this stuff but I assume it's LayeredFS? I have the 'game patching' option enabled on Luma so I assume it's that, no idea what NTR is. Definitely not a rebuilt CIA though.

I changed some stuff in game text, level up moves, evolutions, item stats, move stats, title screen, trainers (for some reason when testing the Elite 4 was still vanilla though), wild encounters, and a lot of personal stats in RomFS. As for CRO, I think the only change is all gift Pokémon having max IVs, other than that, nothing I think.

ExeFS is the weird one, though, I really don't understand it - I did once spend a whole day just trying to get it to work and no matter what I tried nothing seemed to have any effect in the game. Earlier today I just tried recompressing the exefs.bin after renaming .code.bin to code.bin (as someone said on the previous page here) but that didn't work either. However, the first Pokéball Mart in Aquacorde Town is selling only Cherish Balls (which seems to be an ExeFS edit?), which is probably a leftover of Eternal X, the romhack I originally started working on (it was through it that I found out about PK3DS actually), so it seems whatever ExeFS edits were originally made by him/her are still there while my own don't. I've tried editing the shiny rate (originally because I wanted to test some shiny textures I made, but those didn't work either, instead they froze the game, so I gave up on that too) and Mart items, always to no effect.

Is it possible that maybe the saving freeze happens because the games expect some files to be modded when they aren't? That's the best theory I have, but I don't really understand much. If so, how do I put the freaking ExeFS into the game? I tried just about everything - putting an exefs.bin in the title folder, putting the files themselves there inside an exe or an exefs folder, I even tried rebuilding a CIA once but was eventually stopped by errors of all sorts. I'm using a digital game from Freeshop, though I do have the original (Y) game on cartridge (used to have X too but whatever).

(btw, not replying to this too soon as the Breath of the Wild DLC is finishing downloading here and I'm gonna be all over that)

@NamelessWhatever If you're adding GARCs/CROs to the following path, then you're using Luma LayeredFS:

SD:/luma/titles/0004000000055D00/romfs/
(ExeFS edits go to the following path: SD:/luma/titles/0004000000055D00/code.bin)

code.bin should never be re-compressed when put back on the SD Card, Luma LayeredFS only (properly) loads decompressed. I wouldn't expect the "too many files" thing to be related, since I always add ~12 or so files when doing a Gen 6 randomizer and have never experienced any slowdown or crashes.

As for shiny rate, make sure you're using the latest build as older builds just straight up didn't work with the Shiny Rate Editor.

how to dump out pokemon move to a .txt file by pk3ds ,,,

I have downloaded a personal entries file like this one on Internet , it include move tutors ,,,

Spoiler

======
31 - Nidoqueen - 031 (Stage: 3)
======
Base Stats: 090.092.087.075.085.076 (BST: 505)
EV Yield: 3.0.0.0.0.0
Abilities: Poison Point (1) | Rivalry (2) | Sheer Force (H)
Type: Poison / Ground
Item 1 (50%): 
Item 2 (5%): 
Item 3 (1%): 
EXP Group: Medium-Slow
Egg Group: Undiscovered
Hatch Cycles: 020
Height: 01.3 m, Weight: 060.0 kg, Color: Blue
Move Tutors: 2,7,11,12,13,14,17,23,25,26,28,30,32,43,44,45,50,55,58,64,65

but when I tried to dump personal entries by using pk3ds Build 207 by myself , the move tutors is missing ,,,

Spoiler

======
31 - Nidoqueen - 031 (Stage: 3)
======
Base Stats: 090.092.087.075.085.076 (BST: 505)
EV Yield: 3.0.0.0.0.0
Abilities: Poison Point (1) | Rivalry (2) | Sheer Force (H)
Type: Poison / Ground
Item 1 (50%): 
Item 2 (5%): 
Item 3 (1%): 
EXP Group: Medium-Slow
Egg Group: Undiscovered
Hatch Cycles: 020
Height: 01.3 m, Weight: 060.0 kg, Color: Blue

how can I dump out a pokemon's move ? ,,,

And how can I dump TM which can pokemon learn into .txt file .. like this ...

Spoiler

Naganadel
73/73/73/127/73/121
Poison/Dragon
Beast Boost
Genderless
150.0kg (100)
Undiscovered
30720 Steps
Slow
3 SpA
Evolved    Air Cutter
-    Air Cutter
-    Dragon Pulse
-    Peck
-    Growl
-    Helping Hand
-    Acid
7    Fury Attack
13    Venoshock
19    Charm
23    Venom Drench
31    Nasty Plot
37    Poison Jab
41    Toxic
47    Fell Stinger
53    Air Slash
61    Dragon Pulse
TM02    Dragon Claw
TM06    Toxic
TM09    Venoshock
TM10    Hidden Power
TM15    Hyper Beam
TM17    Protect
TM21    Frustration
TM24    Thunderbolt
TM27    Return
TM28    Leech Life
TM32    Double Team
TM34    Sludge Wave
TM35    Flamethrower
TM36    Sludge Bomb
TM38    Fire Blast
TM40    Aerial Ace
TM42    Facade
TM44    Rest
TM46    Thief
TM48    Round
TM49    Echoed Voice
TM58    Sky Drop
TM62    Acrobatics
TM65    Shadow Claw
TM67    Smart Strike
TM76    Fly
TM81    X-Scissor
TM82    Dragon Tail
TM84    Poison Jab
TM88    Sleep Talk
TM89    U-turn
TM90    Substitute
TM95    Snarl
TM97    Dark Pulse
TM100    Confide
Tutor    Draco Meteor
Tutor    Signal Beam
Tutor    Gunk Shot
Tutor    Uproar
Tutor    Dragon Pulse
Tutor    Iron Tail
Tutor    Snore
Tutor    Heat Wave
Tutor    Tailwind
Tutor    Sky Attack
Tutor    Shock Wave
Tutor    Gastro Acid
Tutor    Helping Hand
Tutor    Outrage
Tutor    Snatch
Tutor    Ally Switch
Tutor    Throat Chop
Tutor    Laser Focus

Thank you ,,,

21 hours ago, RSiopa said:

I have tryed to randomize the mantine surfing mart in Pokemon Ultra Moon but I can't seem to find the file that has the randomized shop.
Can you let me know the name of the file please?

Poke Mart data in Gen 7 is stored in a CRO, can be edited directly with pk3DS (Mart, BP Shops, Tutors). Data is stored in Shop.cro

I'm having trouble randomizing UM.

sometimes, the edited (repacked) ROM crashes when I try to load it. other times it works fine, and I just don't know why. I'm only editing Wild Encounters. Did this 4 times- worked twice, failed twice. are there stuff I shouldn't touch for US/UM, like SOS or fishing encounters? one guide I watched said to keep PK3DS open when copying the ROMfs folder, is that true? any other tips that help?

Edited by AceHeart

18 hours ago, Theoldbucwild said:

hey, how come when i try to edit the trainers or static encouters i get an error and the program closes

Use the latest build.

18 hours ago, AceHeart said:

I'm having trouble randomizing UM.

sometimes, the edited (repacked) ROM crashes when I try to load it. other times it works fine, and I just don't know why. I'm only editing Wild Encounters. Did this 4 times- worked twice, failed twice. are there stuff I shouldn't touch for US/UM, like SOS or fishing encounters? one guide I watched said to keep PK3DS open when copying the ROMfs folder, is that true? any other tips that help?

Don’t repack a CIA (or .3DS for Gateway); use Luma LayeredFS. 

I'm using a 3DS file. 

sorry, I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what you're saying. is LayeredFS a different hacking tool? does it replace pk3DS or is it used instead of repacking a ROM after using pk3DS?

Edited by AceHeart

On 08/12/2017 at 2:04 PM, sora10pls said:

@NamelessWhatever If you're adding GARCs/CROs to the following path, then you're using Luma LayeredFS:

SD:/luma/titles/0004000000055D00/romfs/
(ExeFS edits go to the following path: SD:/luma/titles/0004000000055D00/code.bin)

code.bin should never be re-compressed when put back on the SD Card, Luma LayeredFS only (properly) loads decompressed. I wouldn't expect the "too many files" thing to be related, since I always add ~12 or so files when doing a Gen 6 randomizer and have never experienced any slowdown or crashes.

(hey, I'm back)

Hm, alright. I had a code.bin file in the TitleID root and a .code.bin file in the exe folder, and since they were different filesizes I assumed they had different purposes rather than one just being the decompressed version of the other. I tried this now and it worked, so thanks! It always seems the biggest problems have the easiest solutions lol, pretty stupid that it was such a small thing after I had so much drama with this whole ExeFS thing.

This didn't fix the saving issue, but after looking at the RomFS directories here and deleting mostly everything I didn't know about from the SD card, now I just managed to save three times with no problems. I can't be sure yet that the issue is solved, because occasionally in the past it would have these spells where everything seemed to be fine, but I think I truly believe this time.

So with that, most of my problems here I believe are solved. If the big one (saving) is, then I'm gonna be pretty pleased, though I would still like to know how to mod textures as I really wanted to change some shinies (hopefully without crashing the game this time). It seems this was doable in some earlier version of Ohana 3DS (?), but in all the versions I downloaded the necessary features were either missing or didn't work properly (same for SPICA).

43 minutes ago, AceHeart said:

I'm using a 3DS file. 

sorry, I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what you're saying. is LayeredFS a different hacking tool? does it replace pk3DS or is it used instead of repacking a ROM after using pk3DS?

It's a much simpler method of patching the game. It's merely a feature of Luma, so if your 3DS has Luma it should be quite easy to use - if you don't know, just boot up your 3DS while holding Select, if the Luma menu shows up just tick "enable game patching" and that's it. From then, you'd just have to put the files from your romfs folder into SD/luma/titles/[TitleID]/romfs where TitleID is a very long number for your game (don't know what it is for Ultra Moon, but it shouldn't be too hard to find I assume).

1 hour ago, NamelessWhatever said:

(hey, I'm back)

Hm, alright. I had a code.bin file in the TitleID root and a .code.bin file in the exe folder, and since they were different filesizes I assumed they had different purposes rather than one just being the decompressed version of the other. I tried this now and it worked, so thanks! It always seems the biggest problems have the easiest solutions lol, pretty stupid that it was such a small thing after I had so much drama with this whole ExeFS thing.

This didn't fix the saving issue, but after looking at the RomFS directories here and deleting mostly everything I didn't know about from the SD card, now I just managed to save three times with no problems. I can't be sure yet that the issue is solved, because occasionally in the past it would have these spells where everything seemed to be fine, but I think I truly believe this time.

So with that, most of my problems here I believe are solved. If the big one (saving) is, then I'm gonna be pretty pleased, though I would still like to know how to mod textures as I really wanted to change some shinies (hopefully without crashing the game this time). It seems this was doable in some earlier version of Ohana 3DS (?), but in all the versions I downloaded the necessary features were either missing or didn't work properly (same for SPICA).

Did you copy the entire RomFS directory from your ROM dump? You should only be moving over files that you edited with pk3DS. You can always find GARCs in Options->About GARCs. Depending on the game, it'll output every GARC that pk3DS can load/edit. Example of Omega Ruby: https://i.imgur.com/YFJ4dIR.png

So if, for example, I only randomized Wild Encounters, Trainer Pokemon, and Static Encounters in Moon, I would move the following to my SD Card:
/a/0/8/3
/a/1/0/4
/a/1/0/5
/a/1/0/6
/a/1/5/5
The rest of the GARCs wouldn't be moved to my SD Card because they were not modified and there serves no purpose of moving them.

As for CROs, there are only a few notable ones:
- DllBattle.cro (Gen 6; Type Chart)
- DllField.cro (Gen 6; Static Encounters, Gift Pokemon)
- DllPoke3Select.cro (Gen 6; Starter Models)
- Shop.cro (Gen 7; Poke Mart data)

If you're only moving files that were edited, the game should experience no slowdown whatsoever. I've made several randomizers and never came across the issues you mentioned because I only moved what was edited, the rest is loaded by the game at default. Luma LayeredFS only checks for edited files on the SD Card, and if said file doesn't exist, it loads from the game on its own -- hence the extra, unedited files are unnecessary ;)

1 hour ago, sora10pls said:

Did you copy the entire RomFS directory from your ROM dump? You should only be moving over files that you edited with pk3DS. You can always find GARCs in Options->About GARCs. Depending on the game, it'll output every GARC that pk3DS can load/edit. Example of Omega Ruby: https://i.imgur.com/YFJ4dIR.png

If you're only moving files that were edited, the game should experience no slowdown whatsoever. I've made several randomizers and never came across the issues you mentioned because I only moved what was edited, the rest is loaded by the game at default. Luma LayeredFS only checks for edited files on the SD Card, and if said file doesn't exist, it loads from the game on its own -- hence the extra, unedited files are unnecessary ;)

Yeah, I do realize you don't need to move the whole dump to the SD. Originally since I started off with Eternal X, I was only moving the same files that hack used, but I think it was when I tried hacking textures that I looked up more files I should be moving over and I probably just moved too much - for example, an hour ago when testing the Elite 4 it was all weird, their first Pokémon was the species I set it to but then had all weird movesets and the game would crash as soon as it fainted. Now I've further cleaned up the SD (back to just the same files from Eternal X) and everything seems to be working just fine.

I still want to mod those textures though..! But I can live without that if I have to. At this point I'm happy I managed to salvage the patch and can go back to just editing stuff normally.

If I wanted to read some base stats or movepool changes from a set of romfs files what would I need to do? Is it possible to read them by themselves or would I need to extract the cia or 3ds file to set as context. This is mainly regarding a set of ultra sun romfs files that I want to read because the hack creator didn't make a list of the stat, ability, typing and movepool changes they made and I want to see what they are. If there are any specific programs I need to potentially extract the game from my 3ds if someone could direct me towards that as well that would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Malicart said:

If I wanted to read some base stats or movepool changes from a set of romfs files what would I need to do? Is it possible to read them by themselves or would I need to extract the cia or 3ds file to set as context. This is mainly regarding a set of ultra sun romfs files that I want to read because the hack creator didn't make a list of the stat, ability, typing and movepool changes they made and I want to see what they are. If there are any specific programs I need to potentially extract the game from my 3ds if someone could direct me towards that as well that would be appreciated.

Dump your own game and replace the GARCs from your dump with the GARCs from the ROM hack.

I have randomized my marts and after updating to 1.1 my Ultra Moon seems to be crashing when I go to use a poke mart.

Edit: Forgot to mention that its only when I select buy. I can select sell no problem

Edited by Brodie