pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

is there a way to go back to an old edit? I accidentally did something and my entire rom wont work now

pk3DS saves a backup of files when it first loads that type of game; control click the Game Loaded: label and restore the backup.

There is no version-backup feature; that sort of data storage would add up quickly.

For X/Y or ORAS?

Happens with me in everything really.

ORAS. It's really annoying an I'm worried that an unavoidable trainer is going to crash my game and I won't be able to get past. I was lucky the trainer who crashed my game was a youngster in Roxanne's gym (unsure what his trainer class was randomized as it crashed before it was shown)

ORAS. It's really annoying an I'm worried that an unavoidable trainer is going to crash my game and I won't be able to get past. I was lucky the trainer who crashed my game was a youngster in Roxanne's gym (unsure what his trainer class was randomized as it crashed before it was shown)

Ya :/

Team Magma/Aqua battle crashes at some point. (Weather institution, mt pyre) and a lot of other battles too.

Specially double battles.

Oh and the battle with Steven at Southern Island also crashes when you do double battles.

For some reason my error reports are completely being ignored so whatever.

Team Magma/Aqua battle crashes at some point. (Weather institution, mt pyre) and a lot of other battles too.

Oh and the battle with Steven at Southern Island also crashes when you do double battles.

Do you have the trainer classes randomized or no?

Why is the first encouter ALWAYS a wurmple? lol

I have randomized like 5 times and the first encounter of the game is always wurmple.

Also how do you randomize the ability of wild pokemon?

The first encounter is simply a scripted battle, this does not mean Wurmple will appear in the route if you have randomized the wild pokemon.

Ability Randomization will be within the personal editor.

Sounds like you have trainers randomized (like a youngster could be a champion etc) It seems as though there may be one (or more) broken classes that are currently in the list to be randomized. I'd hold off on trainer class randomizing until we have this issue solved.

The first encounter is simply a scripted battle, this does not mean Wurmple will appear in the route if you have randomized the wild pokemon.

Ability Randomization will be within the personal editor.

Ah thanks for the answer! Very much appreciated.

Also, how would i go open finding which file the starters are in so i can tell Kaphotics and he can add the feature to Pk3DS?

Also maybe add some features

where you can randomize only abilities and not everything else?

because in the personal editor it randomizes abilities, types exp rates, etc etc

when i only want abilities randomized lol

Sounds like you have trainers randomized (like a youngster could be a champion etc) It seems as though there may be one (or more) broken classes that are currently in the list to be randomized. I'd hold off on trainer class randomizing until we have this issue solved.

From what I've noticed with some testing, it appears that the classes 103 (Pokémon Trainer Calem) and 104 (Pokémon Trainer Serena) cause crashes in OR/AS. There might be more though. I'm currently playing through AS. If I find more classes who crash, I'll post it here. Double Battles against 2 Trainers always crash in both X/Y and OR/AS, if you mix a class who has a model assigned to in battle (e.g. Archie or Steven) with a class who does not have a model (e.g. Youngster, Team Magma Grunt). The person you are battling together with in a Tag Battle, also needs to have a model, otherwise the game will crash.

Incomplete list of Trainers, which classes should not be changed to avoid crashes:

X/Y:
Calem 130-132 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Glittering Cave)
Calem 338-340 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Flare HQ)
Calem 435-437 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Route 7)
Tierno 438 - Pokémon Trainer 056 (w/ Trevor 439, Route 7)
Trevor 439 - Pokémon Trainer 057 (w/ Tierno 438, Route 7)
Serena 575-577 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Glittering Cave)
Serena 590-592 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Flare HQ)
Serena 596-598 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Route 7)
Calem 604-606 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Poké Ball Factory)
Serena 607-609 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Poké Ball Factory)

OR/AS:
Brendan 674-676 - Pokémon Trainer 127 (Meteor Falls)
May 677-679 - Pokémon Trainer 128 (Meteor Falls)
Steven 680 - Pokémon Trainer 219 (Southern Island)
Steven 942 - Pokémon Trainer 219 (Mossdeep Space Center)

Something minor I also noticed: When randomizing TMs, the Attack description in the TM menu remains unchanged. E.g. the original Rock Tomb TM still has the Rock Tomb Description although in my game it will teach Light of Ruin.

Ah. i dont know how to use source versions of stuff. dunno how to compile it

If you are running Windows, download Visual Studio (it's free).

Download the GitHub version (link in first post).

Open Visual Studio and open the GitHub version that you downloaded.

Compile it in Visual Studio (one of the buttons on the menu bar). That will make pk3ds.exe that you can choose what to randomize.

Ah. i dont know how to use source versions of stuff. dunno how to compile it

Also accounting for what the gentlemen above me said, you could also just download SharpDevelop to compile the source if you want to get around the huge visual studio size requirements. I would upload the compiled source but I lack the permissions, sorry.

Will better randomize options ever be added to the personal editor? I want to randomize abilities for pokemon species but I don't want to randomize typings. Current version randomizes typings as well and there doesn't appear to be a way to avoid that. :(

From what I've noticed with some testing, it appears that the classes 103 (Pokémon Trainer Calem) and 104 (Pokémon Trainer Serena) cause crashes in OR/AS. There might be more though. I'm currently playing through AS. If I find more classes who crash, I'll post it here. Double Battles against 2 Trainers always crash in both X/Y and OR/AS, if you mix a class who has a model assigned to in battle (e.g. Archie or Steven) with a class who does not have a model (e.g. Youngster, Team Magma Grunt). The person you are battling together with in a Tag Battle, also needs to have a model, otherwise the game will crash.

Incomplete list of Trainers, which classes should not be changed to avoid crashes:

X/Y:
Calem 130-132 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Glittering Cave)
Calem 338-340 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Flare HQ)
Calem 435-437 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Route 7)
Tierno 438 - Pokémon Trainer 056 (w/ Trevor 439, Route 7)
Trevor 439 - Pokémon Trainer 057 (w/ Tierno 438, Route 7)
Serena 575-577 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Glittering Cave)
Serena 590-592 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Flare HQ)
Serena 596-598 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Route 7)
Calem 604-606 - Pokémon Trainer 103 (Poké Ball Factory)
Serena 607-609 - Pokémon Trainer 104 (Poké Ball Factory)

OR/AS:
Brendan 674-676 - Pokémon Trainer 127 (Meteor Falls)
May 677-679 - Pokémon Trainer 128 (Meteor Falls)
Steven 680 - Pokémon Trainer 219 (Southern Island)
Steven 942 - Pokémon Trainer 219 (Mossdeep Space Center)

Something minor I also noticed: When randomizing TMs, the Attack description in the TM menu remains unchanged. E.g. the original Rock Tomb TM still has the Rock Tomb Description although in my game it will teach Light of Ruin.

I've encountered Serena and who I assume to be Calem (what ever the name was for the male trainer in X/Y was. Since I played as him I did not have him as my rival. :P ) in my randomzier without getting a crash. They don't appear to have intro animations (it does show the ball being tossed out though), but their models do show up after I defeat them. I even seen Serena's classic face palm animation. :D

So not sure how you got crashes from encountering them. Of coarse the tag battles would be where the crashes would happen. But I've run into Serena/Calem in 1v1 trainer battles in Omega Ruby without issue. :D

Edited by Apache Thunder

Will better randomize options ever be added to the personal editor? I want to randomize abilities for pokemon species but I don't want to randomize typings. Current verison randomizes typings as well and there doesn't appear to be a way to avoid that. :(

I've encountered Serena and who I assume to be Calem (what ever the name was for the male trainer in X/Y was. Since I played as him I did not have him as my rival. :P ) in my randomzier without getting a crash. They don't appear to have intro animations (it does how the ball being tossed out though), but their models do show up after I defeat them. I even seen Serena's classic face palm animation. :D

So not sure how you got crashes from encountering them. Of coarse the tag battles would be where the crashes would happen. But I've run into Serena/Calem in 1v1 trainer battles in Omega Ruby without issue. :D

Isn't the current source version of pk3ds set to have options on the personal editor?

For me, about a month ago, I just edited the randomizer code for the personal editor and remove the typing. Easy 5 minute solution.

I've encountered Serena and who I assume to be Calem (what ever the name was for the male trainer in X/Y was. Since I played as him I did not have him as my rival. :P ) in my randomzier without getting a crash. They don't appear to have intro animations (it does how the ball being tossed out though), but their models do show up after I defeat them. I even seen Serena's classic face palm animation. :D

Huh, that's weird. I had two single battles against Serena/Calem in AS, and they would initiate but then crash after winning the battle when the victory animation is supposed to play. Well, I remade a randomized AS from a fresh dump, and so far (up to Wattson) it didn't crash. :D

Will better randomize options ever be added to the personal editor? I want to randomize abilities for pokemon species but I don't want to randomize typings. Current verison randomizes typings as well and there doesn't appear to be a way to avoid that. :(

The current source version has randomize options (you can select only abilities) my only complaint is that pokemon don't retain abilities after evolution even when they normally would.

Hi. I am very new to this site. I would very much like if someone could tell me how to download and use the Randomizer and Roms. I have an Omega Ruby Rom, but it's password protected... I'm frustrated, could someone please help?

Hi. I am very new to this site. I would very much like if someone could tell me how to download and use the Randomizer and Roms. I have an Omega Ruby Rom, but it's password protected... I'm frustrated, could someone please help?

Try looking at this guide to ROM decryption: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/wiki/Decryption

Note that if you are on a firmware above 9.2 on your 3DS, you will be unable to decrypt it, or even use it (which requires a Gateway flashcart).

Huh, that's weird. I had two single battles against Serena/Calem in AS, and they would initiate but then crash after winning the battle when the victory animation is supposed to play. Well, I remade a randomized AS from a fresh dump, and so far (up to Wattson) it didn't crash. :D

Interesting. Perhaps the models are only present in Omega Ruby? I saw Calem and Serena and Serena has appeared more then once. The first time was the double battle in Meteor Falls. :P

Also I guess the source code added the options? It wasn't too long ago that I recompiled the program. Guess I got to do it again. :P

EDIT: I see the options for it now.

Also possible feature suggestion. But perhaps add a "restore backup" button in each menu. The program maintains backups the first time you open a unpacked rom with it. So adding the button would make restoring backups faster as I have to do that manually at the moment.

Also not sure if you want to do this or not, but perhaps add Pokemon species 722 to the level up randomizer? (or at least point me in the source on how to add him manually my self). Species 722 is technically a missingno, but that so happens to be "Egg" in my randomizer LP. I would like to give him some randomized level up moves, but I don't see a way of accessing his species in the level up modifier as it's currently setup (adding him to PkHeX was easy, but Pk3DS seems to store species lists differently)

He does show up as "000" in the personal editor, so I already fixed his base 0 stats and gave him a dual typing as well as allowing him to learn all TMs since he currently has no level up pool.

For the most part "egg" is pretty stable in battle. Some moves like all the "claw" moves however have issues with him. When it says "Egg used Shadow Claw" or some other claw based move, it would seemingly do nothing for almost 20 or more seconds (but music and what not still playing). I thought it froze, but it did eventually execute the animation and work after that. Very odd. I decided not to give Egg any more claw moves. :P

There was one other move that did cause a crash when used by Egg, but I have forgotten what it was. I did mention it in my LP. I might go back and rewatch one of my recorded eps to find out. But it's not really that important right now. :P

Added targeted manual restoration; open a RomFS sub-form and hold CTRL+SHIFT. The files necessary to that tool will be copied back from the backup location into the RomFS, and then loaded into the program.

pk3DS only edits data that exists. Out of bounds species do not have data associated with them; lack of models, animations, movesets results in the default usage of the 0th entry of data, afaik.