pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

11 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Bad ROM dumps.

If you're getting index exceptions, your exefs is bad.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Is there a better way to dump a ROM from my game cartridge? Or should I just try to find one off the internet?

Edited by Jarhett
wanted to clarify that it was a physical game

4 hours ago, Jarhett said:

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Is there a better way to dump a ROM from my game cartridge? Or should I just try to find one off the internet?

Assuming you followed a youtube tutorial, I'd try following another or reading the comments.

The4thGenGamer's tutorial has a few inaccuracies with a step...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys 

I’ve been trying to make a randomised ultra sun CIA but it instantly crashes when I run it on citra even though the game is recognised in the directory by the emulator. I used the latest version of hackingtoolkit9DS and pk3ds. Also my rom isn’t bad because loading the decrypted cia directly works perfectly on citra.

Any ideas?

51 minutes ago, optimisdiq said:

Hey guys 

I’ve been trying to make a randomised ultra sun CIA but it instantly crashes when I run it on citra even though the game is recognised in the directory by the emulator. I used the latest version of hackingtoolkit9DS and pk3ds. Also my rom isn’t bad because loading the decrypted cia directly works perfectly on citra.

Any ideas?

You're doing something wrong making the CIA. This is unrelated to pk3DS as your edits were performed.

Be sure to compress the exefs if whatever tool you're using to build doesn't do so.

• Like 1

Hi y'all! I've been trying to use PK3DS to modify Kobazco's already modified Setting Sun romfs, but whenever I try to open the romfs folder from their GARC download, it just chimes and greys out all of the buttons. Any advice or suggestions?

Edited by WovenTears

27 minutes ago, WovenTears said:

Hi y'all! I've been trying to use PK3DS to modify Kobazco's already modified Setting Sun romfs, but whenever I try to open the romfs folder from their GARC download, it just chimes and greys out all of the buttons. Any advice or suggestions?

You need a complete ROM dump.

Hi, I've been having some issues getting a randomizer to work properly, I decided to randomize it so megas can appear in the wild and it sets it to form 31 which isn't the mega form but form 1 is the mega instead since i tried that and it worked, however when trying to catch a mega charizard Y the game froze and then i battled a random trainer and it froze again halfway through the battle. Is there any way to fix this, I am using an old 3ds system with an older firmware as it is the only thing i have that can play any randomizers.

Help is appreciated, Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Jaygalbraith said:

Will we get an option to randomize field items, asked before but no one answered for 9 months

It has been asked and answered much longer ago.

Scripting has not been figured out. Cannot edit something if it is not known how it works.

7 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

It’s almost as though you didn’t look at the images in the first post.. 😜
image.png

To be more specific I can get to that point but it doesn't let me rebuild as a .3ds file so do I have to use another program or something

3 minutes ago, ttyybb said:

To be more specific I can get to that point but it doesn't let me rebuild as a .3ds file so do I have to use another program or something

you need to use another tool to rebuild/repack a .3DS

Once again, first post:
image.png

Was working then I closed it and went to re open then this. 

Exception Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializePersonal()
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializeAll()
   at pk3DS.Main.openQuick(String path) in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 226
   at pk3DS.Main..ctor() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 51
   at pk3DS.Program.Main() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Program.cs:line 29

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.394, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Brady\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Brady\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
The program must now close.

Edited by TheChamp

So I know that HMs are no longer used in the Gen 7 games, but would it be possible to add them back into the Personal and TMs tabs? They still exist and are 100% functional in the code, but pk3DS can't currently edit what moves they teach or which Pokemon can learn them. That's seven TM options just sitting there doing nothing.

So did everything including braking down the 3DS File into a bunch of Bin Files (I unpacked the game files) but for some reason Pk3DS doesn't recognize the game files nor will it select the file that holds it (even when I drag and drop the folder to the active program I just get that doesn't work bing from windows). Thoughts?

Edited by Deogiblue

First and foremost I am using 4thGenGamers tutorial in order to randomize my Generation 7 games. Initially I was able to randomize everything outside of static encounters with no problem. I guess I got greedy😅 I wanted the static encounters randomized so I followed the tutorial again and again trying to ensure everything was being done exactly as I was instructed. In the tutorial I noticed that they had deleted the update software after the LumaLayeredFS patches were completed, I never had update software installed in the first place so I decided to start from scratch, restoring all original files and this time updating before I dumped PKMN Sun onto my SD card. I completed the tutorial only to pop in Sun and find out that now nothing will randomize. Rinse wash repeat still nothing. Started from scratch again deleted the dump with the update and reverted back to the initial way of dumping the non-updated .3ds file.

Instead of randomizing everything but static encounters like it did initially now nothing is being randomized. Rinse wash repeat still.... nothing. Its becoming very frustrating and I've been goin at it for about a week and a half.

I currently have

1. New 11.9.0.42U
  2. Luma v9.1 (updating every few times I try to ensure I'm keeping a stable application)
  3. Enable game patching selected
  4. "Show NAND or user..." selected (not sure if that applies to my issue)
  5. Text References for static encounter randomization being saved in English
  6. ".code.bin" being changed to "code.bin" even tried outlines, no outlines and "code.ips" 
  7. CFW and all other applications operating normally
  • no Arm11 exceptions
  • No game crashes 

I've attached the root of SD card, my luma folder, and the location of my "code.bin"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Root of SD card.png

Luma.png

code.bin.png

Edited by MF4Long

It was probably explained here somewhere, but I ask for simplicity sake;

I used the Youtube Tutorial originally, and still do for reference on occasion. I'm trying to figure out what the application looks for as far as RomFS/ExeFS
I still have trouble opening them on some occasions.

Funnily, after saying this I got it working. Still interested in reading deeper on how this works and all. I'm guessing there isn't a  Public Discord or anything for this though is there?~

Edited by Absunine
Update

On 2/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, DarkEspeon said:

Is there any way to edit in-game traded pokemon? I don't see an option for that in pk3ds. Are there other tools for that?

UPD: If I use another tool to edit an already edited rom with pk3ds, will it crash? 🤔

Well, I guess no one here knows. SMH the support of this tool...

Maybe someone knows anything about flags and effects in Move editor window? I'm trying to make Moonlight restore more HP in rain. Is it possible to do so? 

2 hours ago, DarkEspeon said:

Well, I guess no one here knows. SMH the support of this tool...

Maybe someone knows anything about flags and effects in Move editor window? I'm trying to make Moonlight restore more HP in rain. Is it possible to do so? 

The tool is free, open source, and has been out for years.

If you want to change behavior of the battle engine, you need to modify game code which is wayyy outside the realm of what pk3DS is set up to handle.