pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

so I try to open shiny rates on moon and it gives me this error message and crashes pk3ds

Exception Details:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at pk3DS.ShinyRate..ctor() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\ShinyRate.cs:line 59
   at pk3DS.Main.B_ShinyRate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 1029
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.394, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\derek\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\derek\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.

Can someone help I just wanna mess with my shiny rates

oh one more sidenote it also says no PID generation routine before closing the shiny rates tab

Edited by the aggron

Hey guys, I got a similar error message to the user above, but now everything is grayed out and I can't randomize the game! I tried deleting it then re-downloading but that doesn't do anything. It was working when I first opened it, but after I got the error message I clicked 'Abort' and now it's stuck.

I was hoping to play randomized Sun today but too bad...

EDIT: I managed to get the error message again. can anyone help? It's not similar to the guy above, my bad...

Exception Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at pk3DS.Main.<B_Wild_Click>b__36_0() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 635
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.394, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\**\Downloads\pk3DS_Build_-_Windows_394_artifacts\New Folder\pk3DS.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

C:\Users\**\Downloads\pk3DS_Build_-_Windows_394_artifacts\New Folder\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
The program must now close.

Edited by pancakeboy

I have another problem now! I tried to change Dragon Rage and Sonic Boom to 40 and 20 base power to prevent BS, but it doesn't work at all. At least the in-game move summary shows 40 power for Dragon Rage, but when I use it, it clearly isn't! It's still set at 40 HP! Does anyone know what's going on?

29 minutes ago, pancakeboy said:

I have another problem now! I tried to change Dragon Rage and Sonic Boom to 40 and 20 base power to prevent BS, but it doesn't work at all. At least the in-game move summary shows 40 power for Dragon Rage, but when I use it, it clearly isn't! It's still set at 40 HP! Does anyone know what's going on?

Fixed damage moves are fixed damage in the game code; the game overrides the calculated value based on the move ID. This isn't something pk3DS is set up to modify (too complex).

So did all i wanted, then i get a ROM .3DS, but i want a .CIA too. I tried a converter from 3DS to CIA, but it didnt work.
Is there any way to save all of your changes to aplly again on a cia? Universal Pokemon Randomizer have som thing like this.

Anyway, great tool.

(Sorry my bad english)

1 hour ago, Ludovic said:

So did all i wanted, then i get a ROM .3DS, but i want a .CIA too. I tried a converter from 3DS to CIA, but it didnt work.
Is there any way to save all of your changes to aplly again on a cia? Universal Pokemon Randomizer have som thing like this.

Anyway, great tool.

(Sorry my bad english)

pk3DS works on unpacked ROM data, which can be dumped from a cart or installed data. You can rebuild the ROM however you want (with other tools) when you are done editing the files.

UPR does not work on 3DS games, thus it does not have anything to do with CIA files.

4 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

pk3DS works on unpacked ROM data, which can be dumped from a cart or installed data. You can rebuild the ROM however you want (with other tools) when you are done editing the files.

UPR does not work on 3DS games, thus it does not have anything to do with CIA files.

Yeaj i know this. Ive made a randomize on a Alpha Sapphire.CIA, then, i did all over again on a AlphaSapphire.3DS. But i did a lot of changes in UltraSun.3DS (about a week of work) and dont want to do everythig again on a UltraSun.CIA.
I mentioned "UPR" just to sample that UPR export a FILE that contains everything you changed, so you can load again and automatically apply;
I want a .3DS and a .CIA files of the same.
Just Rebuild the files to a CIA dont work. (Because i extracted from a .3DS) (The inverse don't work too)

Is there somenthing a can do?

(Hope it was clear this time, again, sorry my bad english)

Edited by Ludovic

On 1/24/2019 at 2:40 PM, Kannachan2345 said:

How would i do that?

I've tried so many times, Alpha Sapphire and Ultra Sun, it did never work for me.
Every other way to convert a 3ds to cia, the game works, but freezes at some animations. You should do everything in a cia again

When i try to open "Wild Encounters" keeps getting this error. What Can I Do?

Exception Details:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: O valor '150' não é válido para 'Value'. 'Value' deve estar entre 'Minimum' e 'Maximum'.
Nome do parâmetro: Value
   em System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   em System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   em pk3DS.Main.<B_Wild_Click>b__36_0() na C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:linha 666
   em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   em System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Spoiler

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.393, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Conquista Top\Desktop\US Kaizo CIA\Soft\pk3DS Build 393\pk3DS.exe

System.Windows.Forms.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=pt-BR, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_pt-BR_b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

C:\Users\Conquista Top\Desktop\US Kaizo CIA\Soft\pk3DS Build 393\pk3DS.Core.dll

mscorlib.resources, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=pt-BR, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mscorlib.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_pt-BR_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.resources.dll

--------------------
User Message:
The program must now close.

Hi. I'm trying to randomize Pokémon Ultra Moon but I have run into trouble with pk3DS.

I downloaded the latest version (394) on my mac and tried using Wine, but trying to open the folder with the Exe/RomFS just beeped and did nothing.

I went to the GitHub, cloned the repository, and built from source in Visual Studio, and the same issue occurred.

Finally I tried it out in a fresh Windows 10 (10.0.10240) and the same issue occurred - `Open`ing the directory did absolutely nothing - nothing could be typed, nothing showed up in the place where the name of the directory is supposed to go, and none of the options were enabled, just like when I ran it via Wine.

The filenames of the ExeFS/RomFS are 'DecryptedExeFS.bin' and 'DecryptedRomFS.bin' respectively.

Is there something I am doing incorrectly? Does this program only work on earlier versions of Windows? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if I could be informed of proper usage.

If more information is required, please feel free to ask, though there's not much to share since I can't get very far.

Thank you.

Edited by Sparen

29 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

pk3DS requires folders of unpacked game data, not raw dumps. You need to unpack them first with another tool.

It turns out that I wasn't paying attention in one of the tutorials I looked at.

It would be helpful to have an error message rather than the program simply doing nothing, but it seems that this was my problem rather than one with the program.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I've been trying to make a rando of Alpha Sapphire with pk3ds. I've done multiple randomizers a little over a year ago, and decided to make a new one with random encounters, trainers, level up moves, and starters/gift pokemon. Whenever I change the .cro's, my game will crash as soon as I enter the overworld, IE when the door of the truck open. I have tried the same thing for copies of Sun and X, and the same thing happens, right when I enter the overworld. I did some research and tried to use the rebuild CRO tool in pk, but all that does is use the default CRO's with no modifications. If I don't modify any of the CRO's, and only the RomFS, then it works perfectly fine. I'm not sure if this is a program issue or a read issue with my cfw. I'm currently running Luma v9.1-89cc6ed on Boot9Strap and system version 11.9.0.

EDIT: I used the same patch on another 3ds which was ccw’d yesterday, still no luck. If I’m doing anything wrong, please tell. I have patching enabled on Luma, the only issues are those specific files.

Edited by MysticPenguin3

• 2 weeks later...

So after much trial and error, I finally managed to extract the Omega Ruby rom and made all the appropriate changes to files and folders (I think).

Now I'm at the point of attempting to randomize the rom, and whenever I load it I to the pk3ds program, the program crashes. Did I skip a step somewhere?

Edited by Kris2005

• 2 weeks later...

when attempting to randomize static encounters & trainers for ultra sun, i get this error.
i'm really unsure of what to do. any ideas?

Exception Details:
System.FormatException: Invalid GARC Version: 0x0000
   at pk3DS.Core.CTR.GARC.unpackGARC(Stream stream)
   at pk3DS.Core.CTR.GARC.unpackGARC(Byte[] data)
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.GetMemGARC(String file)
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.GetGARCByReference(GARCReference gr)
   at pk3DS.Main.<B_Static_Click>b__60_0() 

When I try to open "Personal Stats" or open anything under the ExeFS tab, it gives me the unhandled exception error message and forces pk3ds to close. I've looked at almost all of the replies here and nothing is working. I've tried to decrypt the .trim.3ds file, but I culdn't find out how to do that through gm9, so I copied it as a .cia file and tried to decrypt it there, but it said it wasn't encrypted. I've made sure that pk3ds is is in a clean folder, I've made sure that my antivirus isn't interfering, and I've deleted and re-copied my game onto my sd card. Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Just in case it's needed, here the error message I get:Exception Details:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method,