pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

On 11/11/2018 at 12:07 PM, Aergun said:

Hey guys, Im kinda struggling with the poké mart function in Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. I randomized the items in the poké mart and the items you usually find, but the changes aren't showing.

Im using a decrypted rom and I tried the "remove the . from .data.bin" and it still didn't work. 

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get help on the matter!

Are you playing on an updated version of the game? The edited code.bin file has to be from the same patch you're playing on, also remember to remove the first full stop from the ".code.bin" file before you add it to the patch. Let me know if any edits you've made to the Move Tutors, Pickup Items, Shiny Rate, TM's/HM's or O-Powers work because they are all stored in the code file.

Hey guys. I just wanted to know if it is actually possible to randomize overworld field items in Pokémon X & Y. I just can't get it to work and can't detect any errors. Furthermore, I checked more than five Pokétubers' randomized X & Y series. In none of them, the randomization of field items worked.

Randomizing starters also proves problematic. When I pick one of the 3d model starters, I actually receive a different Pokémon. For example, one of the model starters was Gengar but when picked it it became a Meowth. The same goes for the other two model starters.

But it gets worse. When I proceed to the first rival battle, I get an error message and the 3ds has to shut down. This doesn't happen when I don't randomize starters.

Does PK3DS work on Mac?

Can I use PK3DS to edit dialogue to include a Yes/No/Multiple Choice section that wasn't there before? For example, changing dialogue to include a part that requires a Yes/No answer with two different chains of dialogue depending on the response?

Can I edit opponent's Pokemon teams?

Can I add a prompt to battle somebody where there was none before? For example, changing dialogue to include a Yes/No option, and picking Yes starts a battle with them when there wasn't a battle there before?

I get an error when trying to change the species for static encounters.

Exception Details:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at pk3DS.StaticEncounterEditor7.GetAllies() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\StaticEncounterEditor7.cs:line 252

5 hours ago, TeamNingoChamp said:

I get an error when trying to change the species for static encounters.

Exception Details:
   at pk3DS.StaticEncounterEditor7.GetAllies() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\StaticEncounterEditor7.cs:line 252

Fixed, re-download :)

Heya. I'm new to randomizing 3DS games so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything on the internet regarding this issue.

I use Citra and have followed this tutorial. (I know it was made in 2017, but it was the latest one that focused on Citra that I could find)

I've done everything this tutorial says correctly (down to renaming the ".code.bin" and moving the ExtractedExeFS folder on the 2nd try after research) but the stuff that's randomized is inconsistent. The first time I tried randomizing it, the starters and Wild Pokemon weren't randomized, but types, trainers and movesets were. The 2nd time I tried, Wild Pokemon and types were randomized, but movesets were not.

Is there something else I gotta do that the tutorial didn't mention? Or is the tutorial itself outdated (in which case, could someone point me to a newer tutorial)? Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I may have fixed it, everything's randomized now. The only thing I did was put the folders of all the required programs into one folder and then dump and randomize it like normal. Dunno how that of all things fixed it, but I don't care!

UPDATE: Had to re-randomize the game due to a bug regarding Trainers and Mega Pokemon that's already been discussed here. Was going to randomize Personal Stats when I got this error:

Exception Details:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '65535' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
Parameter name: SelectedIndex
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at pk3DS.PersonalEditor7.readInfo() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\PersonalEditor7.cs:line 221
   at pk3DS.PersonalEditor7.readEntry() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\PersonalEditor7.cs:line 236
   at pk3DS.PersonalEditor7.B_Randomize_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\PersonalEditor7.cs:line 357
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.388, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
D:\Games\Pokemon\Ultra Sun Randomized\PackEnglishV9\pk3DS Build 388\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
D:\Games\Pokemon\Ultra Sun Randomized\PackEnglishV9\pk3DS Build 388\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.

Edited by UltraOsh
An update regarding an error I got.

29 minutes ago, cococatlike said:

Hello, sorry im new so I might be missing something. I am trying to download pk3ds but the link sends me to a bad gateway with the error 502. Any suggestions?

20 minutes ago, Snek said:

The Download Link has been down for about an hour and a half.

What should i do?

Hi, the team is aware of the issue and is working to restore access :)

This has been asked about before though I never saw an answer as to how to correct the issue. I am doing playing the physical copy of Ultra Sun and have done everything to randomize the game. Everything has worked perfectly as it should except for one thing. When ever I get into a trainer fight that uses a Pokemon that can "Mega-Evolve" they always have the stone to do so. I wouldn't mind this as it adds to the challenge however the game seems to bug out when the Mega is knocked out. It shows the fainting animation and I receive EXP for defeating them however (if they are solo) it will say they are sending them back out and I get stuck in battle unable to attack nor can I lose as the opponent doesn't attack either. If they have multiple Pokemon, then they will get knocked out as usual, they send out a new Pokemon, however it never marks them as defeated and once you reach the final Pokemon of their team they will send it back out and once again you get stuck like the solo one. This isn't a consistent error however as a I fought a Mega Mewtwo Y (and a couple other Mega forms) and the battle ended as expected upon it's defeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to randomize Omega Ruby which was extracted from my physical copy.

Some of the editors apparently work but some do not. For example if I open the "Personal Stats" editor the program terminates with the following message:

Exception Details:
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at pk3DS.Main.<B_Personal_Click>b__34_0() in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 580
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.390, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Alpha\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Alpha\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
The program must now close.

Maybe I missed something but since some of the editors are working I have no clue what this could be about. I skimmed some pages in this thread without success as well.

I am doing an ORAS rom hack and i ran into a problem. The problem is, after editing wild encounters i get a black screen when i enter Route 102. I remember having similar problem while making a HGSS rom hack using PPRE but there was a solution,  just type something gibberish in the scripts so that the program wont save the scripts and saves only the encounter data or something like that. This problem seems to be very similar to that but i found no way to fix it so any help is greatly appreciated. 

It seems to trigger when there is a cut scene or scripted part of the game when you enter a new area, otherwise it flies smooth like if you have previously visited the Route 102 and have already encountered May and seen those Beautifly flying around cut scene then you will never encounter black screen, but if its your first time entering route 102 then you will be met with a black screen. I have faced similar problem when modding HGSS using PPRE but there was a solution for it back then, you open scripts and then type some gibberish so that the program wont save the scripts and just saves the wild pokemon encounter data. Any help regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated.

I used Dotnet 3DS toolkit to extract rom and edit the contents using PK3DS and then repack it using PK3DS rebuild .3DS

For some reason i am unable to use the latest build 390 as its giving me weird "RomFS file count does not match the default game file count"error which makes no sense cause its a freshly extracted rom, making it impossible to rebuild the rom using latest version of PK3DS, and rebuilding the rom with Dotnet 3DS toolkit makes it so that it cannot be play tested on Citra, so my only other option to rebuild the ROM is by using older version of PK3DS (i believe its December 10th build) 

EDIT - 
The only solution i have come up with so far is to save the game just before entering Scripted areas where there will be some cut scenes (like the one in route 102 where you will encounter may and will watch a bunch of Beautifly's fly by) and then switch to normal Omega Ruby (or any Omega ruby rom without edited wild pokemon encounters), save the game after the cut scene and then switch back to my modded rom, which is not optimal as you can see.

EDIT 2 - 

The issue seems to be with the DexNav. Turnoff Dexnav and have normal map on and the problem is gone. I still have no clue why ... So far it only happens on Route 102. 

Edit 3

Figured it out, Its caused by exceeding 18 pokemon in a single location and Route 102 already have 18 pokemon to begin with. 

Edited by KingDeadly

Hi,

im new to this forum and just wanted to update you guys on the x/y series. Ive randomized several roms with success and I would say that I know what im doing. For some odd reason (i guess non-support) for the x/y series since they havent been playable on citra since now, the program isnt fully working. You cant randomize these things (if I miss something please let me know):

- TM/HM's

- Pickup Items

- Poké Mart

- Disable Dragonrage/Sonic Boom etc

- and for some odd reason the level from the trainers varies way too hard. some got my new lvl curve and some are vanilla like. 

Tested several times with different method and different ways to randomizer even different roms.

I hope my post is useful. thanks for your time.

5 minutes ago, BurningFoot said:

Is there a way to edit abilities, specifically what type they might affect, ie static has a 50% chance to force an encounter with an electric type if it's possible, or water absorb for water type moves, can those be edited for other types?

That's in the game code (exefs); inserting new code isn't really feasible.

Such a topic isn't related to pk3DS, it's more a general ROM hacking thing.

Great job, this is an amazing tool! but just dont work on Pokemon Y for me. Ive randomized all wild encounter, and then changed some pokemon from the first routes. When i play the game, every other things are working, but the wild encounters is the same as the original (sorry bad english, im brazilian)

Edited by Ludovic

Can't get pk3ds to carry over the randomized learnsets to the trainer randomizations. Literally no matter what I do. Yes, I've followed previous advice you've given to others. Yes, I AM randomizing the learnsets first [repeatedly, in fact!]. And yet, every time I randomize the trainer mons, even though I'm selecting "Use levelup only" it continues to give them their standard levelup moves, not the ones I literally just randomized prior.

The mons I catch are fine and have randomized moves. The trainer mons are randomized to my settings just fine. And yet, they still somehow magically conjure up the moves they originally had, rather than pulling from the randomized set.

Am I doing something wrong??? Is there some hidden option I need to select? Is the text dump just stupid and doesn't list out the randomized movesets for trainers? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong and feel like an idiot.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:23 PM, ABZB said:

Has anyone figured out how Necrozma's Ultra Burst and Rayquaza's Mega Evolution are encoded?

Huh - Z-Crystals work for mega-evolutions: if the Pokemon can use that Z-Crystal, the Z-move button shows up, and works as normal, and the following turn, the Mega-evolution button will have replaced it.

The other way - for the species-specific Z-moves (the ones you can set in Personal):

If both the base form and the mega form have such Z-move set, then the move the Mega form has is available, and must be used before Mega-evolution becomes available. If different moves are set, the Mega form's move is the one that will be used.

If only the Mega form has such a Z-move set, then it will mega evolve normally, no Z-move will be available in either form.

Edited by ABZB

I tried to randomize the tms in my pokemon sun game and i do everything right but when I go into the game the tms are not randomized at all. Is there any way to keep the tms randomized? Same thing happens with Ultra moon

update:i got it to work with pokemon sun due to the title id bin file and lunar ips just need to figure out how to do it on ultra moon

Edited by Kannachan2345
got it to work on one game