pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

Exception Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializePersonal()
   at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializeAll()
   at pk3DS.Main.openQuick(String path) in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 226
   at pk3DS.Main.B_Open_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\BuildAgent\work\ccf72a59f9911202\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 101
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.385, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Fierce\Desktop\PKDS\pk3DS.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

Accessibility, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Fierce\Desktop\PKDS\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.
. what does that mean?

On 10/18/2018 at 5:17 AM, IcieJiraceon said:

not sure if this is added or not but is there a way to rename a move or change the description in the move editor?

I don't know how to rename a move but to change the description it's in the Game Text GARC. Google "[whatever game you're hacking] Game Text" and then use CTRL+F to find the move you're looking for using its current description. Scroll up to find out the file it's in and then you'll just need to figure out what line that move is on within the file, I personally paste it all into notepad to figure out the line it's on.

• Like 1

Having some issue with cro files, game always crashes when I try to do something in it that requires use of the cro file (like opening the shop for example). It's only started crashing since I uninstalled all the USUM official updates so that my edited code.bin file would work properly. It seems I have to choose between a working code.bin or a working cro file, is there a better way to do this? I heard you can update the code using "ips" instead? How would I do that? Alternatively, is there another way to get the cro files working without updating the game?

*Edited: Just figured out how to fix it, the code.bin file was outdated so I needed to use the one from patch 1.2.

Edited by Vars_An
Update

On 12/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, Ericjwg said:

@Kaphotics are there any ways to use modified cro in USUM? I manually editd some cro. Using luma layeredfs, game crashes right after launched (didn't rehash the file); game crashes after title animation. (rehashed with pk3ds)

I was having similar issues with the cro files as well as the code.bin. I think the reason for this is that they are not correct for whatever patch you're using, for example if you're playing on USUM 1.2 and you're editing files from the vanilla game (1.0) then some of those files wont work. Either uninstall updates to go back to 1.0 (not the ideal method) or replace some of the files you're editing with the updated ones, this reddit comment explains really well how to do it: 

When I am randomizing my item shops it doesn't go through, is there a reason for this? When I go back to change it the item shops don't stay randomized. I press save everytime btw. The shops display normal items everytime I go  in and look after I randomized them and saved them.

Also if I randomize the encounters and then start playing, is there a way to go back and change something, such as the level of the wild pokemon and go back and change it? I was using the 0/8/2 encounter data to change that.

The reason I don't want to do it all over again is because I change the evolution levels of the pokemon which takes a long time so I just want to edit some things because if I do it again i would have to edit all the evolution levels from scratch.

If there is a way to save evolution preferences then I would do that

Sorry to bother you,

i tried randomizing my Omega Ruby with 3ds and Luma as CTF. Everything works fine except the Trainer arent randomized. I tried various fixes like deleting the update data and using different builds of pk3ds.

Any Idea how to fix that? :(

Hi, i'm making a omega ruby hack rom and i have many questions :

When i want to change the character's texture, wich folder and file in romfs must i pick? (extracted with garc and all)

Can i change the type chart into a normal one without clicking on the little squares in pk3ds? because I've changed it into reversed and i want to rechange it...

I recently just started using this after figuring out how to get it to work, and notice in the trainer editor that there is a field called "AI Val". Does anyone know what it is for and what happens if I change it to a higher or lower number?

Edited by TheMCNerd2018

14 hours ago, TheMCNerd2018 said:

I recently just started using this after figuring out how to get it to work, and notice in the trainer editor that there is a field called "AI Val". Does anyone know what it is for and what happens if I change it to a higher or lower number?

Not much seems to be known about the specifics but it basically determines how the opposing trainer plays. From my experience so far the value "7" seems to be best for single battles on Ultra Sun/Moon and is used for a lot of the important battles in the game. It's important to have the right AI values for trainers otherwise they might start attacking their partner in a double battle or use moves that are have no effect on your mons etc.

24 minutes ago, Vars_An said:

Not much seems to be known about the specifics but it basically determines how the opposing trainer plays. From my experience so far the value "7" seems to be best for single battles on Ultra Sun/Moon and is used for a lot of the important battles in the game. It's important to have the right AI values for trainers otherwise they might start attacking their partner in a double battle or use moves that are have no effect on your mons etc.

Yeah, that is what it originally was for the battle I modified(the Principal of the trainer school). Not sure if I should use 87, considering some post-game trainers like Ghetsis and Giovanni have an AI value of 87. I assume it depends on the trainer's team?

11 hours ago, TheMCNerd2018 said:

Yeah, that is what it originally was for the battle I modified(the Principal of the trainer school). Not sure if I should use 87, considering some post-game trainers like Ghetsis and Giovanni have an AI value of 87. I assume it depends on the trainer's team?

I think a lot of them achieve different things rather than necessarily being better, I preferred 7 though because 87 would often make weird switch-ins like a Grass type into a Fire type.

Also when I switched the important trainers from 87 to 7 they seemed to get significantly harder.

Edited by Vars_An

10 hours ago, Vars_An said:

I think a lot of them achieve different things rather than necessarily being better, I preferred 7 though because 87 would often make weird switch-ins like a Grass type into a Fire type.

Also when I switched the important trainers from 87 to 7 they seemed to get significantly harder.

Yeah, I tried switching it to 87 one time to see if anything would change, and I also noticed the weird switch-ins, as well as VERY weird switch-outs(the AI tried switching to their Xerneas when my Mega Steelix was at +6 Attack and Defense and going to use Gyro Ball). Needless to say, I changed it back to 7 and am keeping it there. Seems to be the best option for the team I gave the trainer. 

Also, would it be possible to make the VGC Finals theme play during a trainer battle if one wanted to do such a thing?

17 hours ago, TheMCNerd2018 said:

Yeah, I tried switching it to 87 one time to see if anything would change, and I also noticed the weird switch-ins, as well as VERY weird switch-outs(the AI tried switching to their Xerneas when my Mega Steelix was at +6 Attack and Defense and going to use Gyro Ball). Needless to say, I changed it back to 7 and am keeping it there. Seems to be the best option for the team I gave the trainer. 

Also, would it be possible to make the VGC Finals theme play during a trainer battle if one wanted to do such a thing?

I think 87 is supposed to bait a move from the player, like a Fire type move onto a Grass type and then the AI would switch into a mon with Flash Fire (if it has one). So in theory it could work well on certain trainers but if they don't have a mon that can absorb the move it's trying to bait out then it just ends up looking stupid.

Also about the VGC Finals music, I didn't even know that was a theme song in the game but I'm pretty sure what you want to do is possible, just maybe not with PK3DS. 

Edited by Vars_An

On 11/9/2018 at 1:29 PM, Vars_An said:

I think 87 is supposed to bait a move from the player, like a Fire type move onto a Grass type and then the AI would switch into a mon with Flash Fire (if it has one). So in theory it could work well on certain trainers but if they don't have a mon that can absorb the move it's trying to bait out then it just ends up looking stupid.

Also about the VGC Finals music, I didn't even know that was a theme song in the game but I'm pretty sure what you want to do is possible, just maybe not with PK3DS. 

Yeah, its effectively a remix of the Generation 1 Champion music, and was present in the files since X and Y were released. I believe it would play during the final battle in the VGC. I'm not sure if there is a trainer class in the game that actually loads the music file though.

Hey guys, Im kinda struggling with the poké mart function in Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. I randomized the items in the poké mart and the items you usually find, but the changes aren't showing.

Im using a decrypted rom and I tried the "remove the . from .data.bin" and it still didn't work. 

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get help on the matter!