pk3DS: Pokémon 3DS ROM Editor and Randomizer

1 hour ago, PokeMaster99999 said:

...Okay then. That's quite disappointing. Since this is my first time using pk3DS (only got 3DS cfw/Luma in late November), I had no idea of this, or that it wouldn't have worked for ORAS.

So, I have to ask...why let someone edit something that doesn't work? As in, why not just have changing moves disabled in shop.cro (but leaving changing BP costs in)? I don't get it.

Lastly, I'm guessing ticking already-implemented moves (e.g. Fire Punch, Shock Wave, Water Pulse) works just fine? For example, ticking Earth Power on Typhlosion would allow Typh to learn it? I've been hesitant to touch Tutors since seeing the "Incompatible" label.

pk3DS serves multiple purposes:

* data visualization

* data editing

* data randomizing

The more inter-connected certain edits need to be (ie, more advanced handling), the less likely they are to be fully fleshed out.

===

pk3DS shows the Tutor's list of moves it can tutor (what shows up in game), what they actually teach is separate from the displayed value. Updating the actual move table is extra handling which still has not been added (adding/fixing stuff takes time, and I have other things that interest me more).

Remember, the community does not have the source code or flawless knowledge of how the games execute. Figuring out how to edit stuff and then simplifying it for regular users takes a lot of time :)

• Like 1
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

What file do i need to change tms and where do i put it in the luma title folder?

also, whenever i randomize trainers, if they have a pokemon that can mega evolve, it's always holding its mega stone! how do i turn this off?

Edited by MAXmewtwo

So I'm guessing there's no way to change the properties of Revelation Dance so as to make it identical to Hidden Power?

For example, I set Revelation Dance's "Effect" field to 135 and "Flags 1" to 120, which are the same as Hidden Power's. I try it in game, and...Revelation Dance still has its original effect.

I then try to edit the raw hex (the a/0/1/1 file), but...yeah, I can't find Hidden Power, let alone its unique flags and data. 

There goes my dream of a physical Hidden Power clone...

5 hours ago, MAXmewtwo said:

What file do i need to change tms and where do i put it in the luma title folder?

I only really know USUM off the top of my head, but it most likely is the same for others (I've got Rutile Ruby downloaded, and it seems to be the same).

TMs are stored in .code.bin, which is located in exefsdir (NOT romfsdir). To edit .code.bin stuff, there needs to be a full-stop before "code". Once you're done editing, plop the .bin in the 0400000<gameid> folder, where the romfs folder should also be, and remove the full-stop before "code". It does not need its own folder or anything.

USUM also allows you to edit the type chart and shiny rate through .code.bin; not sure what ORAS offers.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PokeMaster99999 said:

I only really know USUM off the top of my head, but it most likely is the same for others (I've got Rutile Ruby downloaded, and it seems to be the same).

TMs are stored in .code.bin, which is located in exefsdir (NOT romfsdir). To edit .code.bin stuff, there needs to be a full-stop before "code". Once you're done editing, plop the .bin in the 0400000<gameid> folder, where the romfs folder should also be, and remove the full-stop before "code". It does not need its own folder or anything.

USUM also allows you to edit the type chart and shiny rate through .code.bin; not sure what ORAS offers.

thanks for the help, though i'm not sure what you mean by removing the full stop, i'm pretty new to working with files and hacking my 3ds. 

(yes, i'm also using USUM)

Edited by MAXmewtwo

1 minute ago, MAXmewtwo said:

thanks for the help, though i'm not sure what you mean by removing the full stop, i'm pretty new to working with files and hacking my 3ds.

I myself only started in late November (when I got my R4i or whatever, which allowed me to install Luma and CFW), so I know the feeling.

What I meant is that, whilst editing, the bin file should be named ".code", but when you're putting it onto your SD card, it should be "code".

The first one has a full-stop at the start, the second one doesn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PokeMaster99999 said:

So I'm guessing there's no way to change the properties of Revelation Dance so as to make it identical to Hidden Power?

For example, I set Revelation Dance's "Effect" field to 135 and "Flags 1" to 120, which are the same as Hidden Power's. I try it in game, and...Revelation Dance still has its original effect.

I then try to edit the raw hex (the a/0/1/1 file), but...yeah, I can't find Hidden Power, let alone its unique flags and data. 

There goes my dream of a physical Hidden Power clone...

There is a second set of flags somewhere that controls a lot of stuff starting in Gen V. What and where is not yet known.

Edited by ABZB

Sorry if this has been asked before but it is possible to actually edit what an ability does?

So like EG: In ORAS, changing Run away to act like Speed boost (Bad example as you might as well just have Speed boost but hopefully you get what I mean)

If it is possible, maybe add it in like an editor sort of like the move editor?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble editing story text but it seems editing game text works just fine. Am I doing something wrong? i copied the a/0/4/2 file in that file format to my romfs using luma LayeredFS and tried SaltySD both get the same problem story text not changing. Is there a way to know that pk3ds wrote those files correctly?

1 hour ago, Aquillian said:

I'm having trouble editing story text but it seems editing game text works just fine. Am I doing something wrong? i copied the a/0/4/2 file in that file format to my romfs using luma LayeredFS and tried SaltySD both get the same problem story text not changing. Is there a way to know that pk3ds wrote those files correctly?

Works fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm creating a Pokémon rom-hack using Pokémon Y and I have a problem:

While editing trainers I choose a prize from the list to receive at the end of the battle. I receive the items but there are always two empty bubbles, is there any way I can put text into them?

1 hour ago, Heitor1010 said:

I'm creating a Pokémon rom-hack using Pokémon Y and I have a problem:

While editing trainers I choose a prize from the list to receive at the end of the battle. I receive the items but there are always two empty bubbles, is there any way I can put text into them?

There's a text file that contains battle text messages like giving an item. Not sure which it is. Try looking up a trainer that already gives items.

6 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

There's a text file that contains battle text messages like giving an item. Not sure which it is. Try looking up a trainer that already gives items.

Thanks. Do you know if it's in story or game text?

Edit: I found it but I don't know what to do in order to change the empty bubble texts. I have a lot of files about giving items in Battle Chateau, but how can I change the texts outside of it? For example, on Route 2's trainer.

Edited by Heitor1010

1 hour ago, Heitor1010 said:

Thanks. Do you know if it's in story or game text?

Edit: I found it but I don't know what to do in order to change the empty bubble texts. I have a lot of files about giving items in Battle Chateau, but how can I change the texts outside of it? For example, on Route 2's trainer.

It should be the same text file as the intro-battle text.

Hello everyone.

I'm having this issue with PK3ds, I am trying to edit/randomize Ultra Moon, and everytime I enter any tab and then X out of it, I get an error message and it crashes the program. I tried alot of things like reisntalling the program, re-dumping the game, running as admin and erasing Temp file contents. Nothing Works. Can anyone lend a hand?

Exception Details:
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Ameen\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpC0D8.tmp' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at pk3DS.Core.CTR.GARC.packGARC(Byte[][] data, Int32 version, Int32 contentpadnearest)
   at pk3DS.Core.CTR.GARC.MemGARC.set_Files(Byte[][] value)
   at pk3DS.Main.<B_Evolution_Click>b__40_0() in C:\BuildAgent\work\86ef6ef9a1b8eb38\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 719
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.301, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Ameen\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.exe

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Ameen\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
The program must now close.

1 hour ago, Endermeen said:

Hello everyone.

I'm having this issue with PK3ds, I am trying to edit/randomize Ultra Moon, and everytime I enter any tab and then X out of it, I get an error message and it crashes the program. I tried alot of things like reisntalling the program, re-dumping the game, running as admin and erasing Temp file contents. Nothing Works. Can anyone lend a hand?

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Ameen\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpC0D8.tmp' because it is being used by another process.

Disable your antivirus and run the program as administrator. Likely the antivirus is scanning the repacked files when the program is trying to move the repacked file back into the GARC's folder.

43 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Disable your antivirus and run the program as administrator. Likely the antivirus is scanning the repacked files when the program is trying to move the repacked file back into the GARC's folder.

You are a champion my friend, thank you very much for your help, it works fine now, well, at least better than before, the error still occurs, but its a bit rarer to happen now, and it does end up crashing the prog.

Edited by Endermeen

There is also an issue with the ExeFS tab, all of them give me the following error when trying to open:

Exception Details:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at pk3DS.TMEditor7.getList() in C:\BuildAgent\work\86ef6ef9a1b8eb38\pk3DS\Subforms\Gen7\TMEditor7.cs:line 70
   at pk3DS.Main.B_TMHM_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\BuildAgent\work\86ef6ef9a1b8eb38\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 916
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

pk3DS, Version=1.0.0.301, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Ameen\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.exe

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

pk3DS.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
C:\Users\Ameen\Desktop\3DS Randomizer Pack\Step 2 - Randomize\pk3DS.Core.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program (albeit with potential side-effects), but please report this error.