Video Games ruined my brother

FLOOTENKERP

My brother, Smoke is his online name, is ruined by video games. Here's how it all started, we got into a debate, like we usually do. I told him it is illegal to download a game even if you own it, you must dump it from your game. He said if you own the game, you can download it and still have it be legal. He turned to his site and started a thread http://www.pspmod.com/forums/all-about-psp-games/56341-okay-download-backup-psp-iso.html and then stated lies about me saying GameFAQ's offered ROMs yet still said downloading them is illegal. I posted saying that was a lie, and then he told me not to make spam accounts, that the site already had enough. It wasn't soon until he came over here and made a thread that is now closed under the Site Feedback section under the username of "Pokefail". I rushed to SCV on IRC and asked him to ban his username. That's when all hell broke loose. He started registering a new account, and I started telling him not to, I began to shout and it got pretty physical. We got into a fight and we were basically punching each other in the face and kicking each other all over the place. Our mother ran in and started shouting, she was frightened by the situation, I've never heard her yell like that before. That's when this turned for the worse. I started laughing at him as we saw that people who went to his site started saying that I was right, he got very angry, then the debate entirely changed. You see, my mom was going to buy me a PSP slim, my brother already had a phat. He stole this PSP slim from someone long ago and decided that the slim had a better d-pad, so he opened up the 2 PSP's to switch the d-pads. The slim broke and the phat was in terrible condition, it was not long until he decided to give me the phat so he could buy a slim. My brother's ego was huge as he started yelling at our mother that he wants the PSP and that he deserves it more, as I said I told her beforehand, and that I was buying it myself, so you wouldn't have to pay anything. I said he already has a perfectly good working one with him, so I deserved the slim. My mom acknowledges that I have a point and begins to tell my brother that she was only letting me get one. That is when everything went haywire. He started throwing a fit, literally striking his own mother in the face, my mom started to cry as my brother walked out of my room and hit the wall with tremendous force breaking a huge hole in the wall. When he noticed it he began to cry and lied on the sofa crying saying the words "Kill me now". I was shocked that this came to such an extent, it was terrifying. Currently, it's done for now, my mom decided to let us both get PSP slims to avoid any issues, and my brother is currently out with my mom going to Game Stop and getting groceries...

The thing I'm trying to tell you with this stories is that my brother took video games way to seriously that he actually took it to such an extent, it was so shocking... he would actually damge the house and hurt his own mother because of a video game. this distracted me from everything that was going on, for example at the same time sabresite was asking me for help with some things, and I had to tell him something unbelievable came up... it was so strange...

Please tell me what I should do because my brother will not leave video games alone and utterly hates me and all of you for liking Pokemon. Also share your opinion on the story if you were able to read it all....

How old is your brother? He seems to be no more than ten. Your mother should have said no without allowing a chance for your brother to respond.

I am surprised that his behavior has been allowed to progress to that point. Has he been told at all that his actions are rude and bothersome?

lol, yeah. But what reallybothers me about the situation is my parents. My mom does whatever she can to avoid the situation, and my dad would just not let either of us get our way, even if one of us didn't do anything wrong. They aren't really good when it comes to fair parenting, mostly due to the fact that my dad is 60 and my mom is 50.

That is horrible....I would be very much so dead if I were to ever throw a fit like that.

I hate to be the one to mention it, but perhaps he needs counseling? CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy) seems like it would be fitting to what he would need to change his mindset of video games!

</Psychologist babble>

Does your father know that he struck your mother? Someone needs to step in and take care of this, and there is no better person than your father. You can't just ignore it.

At least he was devastated at his own violent outburst, though. That shows that he isn't really trying to be malicious, he just has a temper problem that needs to be curbed, and he'll need help to do so. Something like a school counselor might do him wonders.

Also, it isn't "video games are making him violent!!!!11111". Don't use them as a scapegoat. It's your brother's attitude and perception that cause these things, not some inanimate electronics.

To continue with Varna's post, a school counselor can do a great deal of good. You learn after a few visits that they're more than just the people that screw up your schedule yearly. (That was the problem with mine -_-) They truly can help.

My counselor last year was brand-new as my old one had retired...she became one of my greatest fans, and was deeply upset towards the end of the year when I had failed to tell her of my scholarship achievements...because I was one of her first students accepted to college.

That being said, Ms. McG was really cool once you got to know her more...she helped me whenever I felt depressed and through other periods of mental illness, allowing me to talk through whatever whenever. You just have to be open with the counselor to get the help you need. And the best part is, it's free AND confidential!

Wow i can't really help you much but wow only 13? and he a put a hole through a wall.

My Mum on the other hand is surprisingly tough, because of how sportsy she was during her time at school, so even if you think about doing something like that to her, the only thing your going to get is a big red hand mark at the side of your face.

Let me start off by that video games did not ruin your brother. Your brother ruined himself by being obsessed with games.

Now about what happened, it all started with a conversation that started with a question with a f***ing obvious answer? Seriously, the only way to have a legal ROM is by ripping the ROM off of the original game and only using it to play your backup saves.

Then the debate changed since you where going to get the Playstation Portable slim (I have my reasons for saying the full name). Which his EGO got jealous and decided to trade the broken Playstation Portable. Then it turned into a fight again. It's only a damn handheld, nothing to get jealous of.

He should really be ashamed of himself by hit his own mother. It really is a low move. Even lower then not respecting your parents. =\

Hopefully things will work out for you Floot in the near future. You and your family.

Does your father know that he struck your mother? Someone needs to step in and take care of this, and there is no better person than your father. You can't just ignore it.

At least he was devastated at his own violent outburst, though. That shows that he isn't really trying to be malicious, he just has a temper problem that needs to be curbed, and he'll need help to do so. Something like a school counselor might do him wonders.

Also, it isn't "video games are making him violent!!!!11111". Don't use them as a scapegoat. It's your brother's attitude and perception that cause these things, not some inanimate electronics.

No, mu dad doesn't know. And when I say the phrase video games ruined my brother, I meant that he was addicted to them but he won't stop.

To continue with Varna's post, a school counselor can do a great deal of good. You learn after a few visits that they're more than just the people that screw up your schedule yearly. (That was the problem with mine -_-) They truly can help.

My counselor last year was brand-new as my old one had retired...she became one of my greatest fans, and was deeply upset towards the end of the year when I had failed to tell her of my scholarship achievements...because I was one of her first students accepted to college.

That being said, Ms. McG was really cool once you got to know her more...she helped me whenever I felt depressed and through other periods of mental illness, allowing me to talk through whatever whenever. You just have to be open with the counselor to get the help you need. And the best part is, it's free AND confidential!

Here's the thing, we both are homeschooled. We go take online courses, so we are stuck with each other all day. Yeah, out of all the odds.

Let me start off by that video games did not ruin your brother. Your brother ruined himself by being obsessed with games.

Now about what happened, it all started with a conversation that started with a question with a f***ing obvious answer? Seriously, the only way to have a legal ROM is by ripping the ROM off of the original game and only using it to play your backup saves.

Then the debate changed since you where going to get the Playstation Portable slim (I have my reasons for saying the full name). Which his EGO got jealous and decided to trade the broken Playstation Portable. Then it turned into a fight again. It's only a damn handheld, nothing to get jealous of.

He should really be ashamed of himself by hit his own mother. It really is a low move. Even lower then not respecting your parents. =\

Hopefully things will work out for you Floot in the near future. You and your family.

Yeah, I hope things do improve. It is somewhat funny how these debates come out of nowhere, but they always end up violent, but not nearly as violent as this.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. >.<

Maybe a family discussion would help, then. Get your mom, dad, and brother all together and talk things through...because obviously something is not right. Your brother is overly obsessive about his games, he hit his mother (that alone sends a high warning signal) and it sounds to me like boundaries need to be set. That being said, Floot, you as the older brother would have to be the one to step up and say "Mom, dad, we need to talk" and express your concern, the way you have here.

I'm glad someone said this, its not video games fault the way you were implying in the title, but a separate issue that really doesn't have much to do with what you were talking about Floot.

Another thing to do is to get rid of the cause e.g. the Playstation Portable.

Once the 'problem' has been removed you will see a difference.

The old "take away what seemed to have caused the fight" route doesn't always work. In my experience, it just agitates the people involved further. "See, now look what you went and did, you got it taken away! >:|" and etc, etc.

He needs to know that such behavior won't be tolerated, but it also crucial he doesn't feel alienated. Just have a nice big family chat, firm but fair. Get your parents to lay down the law. Hopefully that'll take care of everything.

All of you make this sound so simple. My mom refuses to let my dad know any of this ever went down because she doesn't want our dad to get to angry because she fears he will get a stroke because he has high blood pressure and diabetes. I can't have a family talk and my brother knows that. He continues to make my life hell, even pressing the power button on my computer while I'm doing things at moments and laughs in my face because he knows I won't do anything about it because my mom doesn't listen. Here's the thing I really hate. My mom is the kind of mom who believes she knows what you are about to say. This would be fine and good because I could just tell her no, I'm leading to a different point, but my mom is deaf, and when she thinks she already knows what you are gonna say she looks away from you... so there is no possible way of me telling on my brother because she immediately gets angry and tells me not to start any problems. I actually hate my little brother, and I'm not to far from considering sending him to the hospital, now if anyone could give me advice on how to talk to a deaf mom who doesn't want my father to know about anything bad that goes down, and a diabetic with high blood pressure father who can get a stroke at any given moment by getting angry, that would be great. My dad is 63 and my mom is 52, so they are really old enough to be my grandparents.

Does he act like that all of the time? As in, does he bother every living human being that he comes in contact with or just you? Because if he just bothers you than you could potentially stop his actions by acting more calm around him, that way he might lose interest.

Now I know it is easier said than done, but think of it like this: You'll end up bettering yourself by controlling your emotions (I do not mean to say you may have an emotional problem, just saying that being able to be in full control of one's emotion is better than not) and you may stop that kid's actions.

Now if he bothers other people as well then you might as well try to confront your mother. If you can manage to act like an adult, and not say childish things and sound as if your whining, she may end up opening her supposedly deaf ears.

PS: Your father is on medication right? If so he should be fine, even if angered. I would say your mother may be a tad too cautious, unless his doctor said otherwise.