1. 1. Best webz browser

• Internet Explorer 6/7/8
    • Google Chrome
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Apple Safari
    • Opera
    • Other

Hey everyone.

I want to know from other people's opinion what web browser is best.

Recently, I came back from Mexico because my IE messed up and my parents took to the max by having the whole computer reformatted at one of my mom's friends.

So I am back in the U.S. have a new version of XP, service pack 3 with a Vista interface. And I have all three browsers and I wanna know, what webz browser is the the best.

Remember, no flaming! And follow the rules, thank you.

I use IE8 alongside my Windows 7. It has a very firefox feel to me, with the smaller tab from IE7 and the favorite's bar. But I don't mind the FF look, because I really like FF until it began deleting all of my favorites -_- Then I was like "Uh...no."

IE8 runs fastest on my laptop anyways.

• 2 years later...

IE is plenty fast, but plain and simply, it is not compliant with the most recent web standards ( HTML5 ). For example, I don't believe it implements the border-radius tag in CSS3, or text-shadow. It uses CSS-hacks ( filter property ). It tries to force you to rely on activeX, and has annoying questions. It's easily hacked, and therefore insecure. The list goes on. BUT it remains: IE ( 8 and 9 especially ) have decent speeds.

Chrome is nice. It is secure, has a great renderer ( webkit ). I believe it's near complete-compliance with HTML5, if I'm not mistaken. Has the best JS engine out there. Uses multi-threading, and shared memory. Multi-threading is nice, because that's part of the security. However, it's also a nice pain in the crack, because with all the processes, you end up consuming lots of memory with chrome, for only a few tabs being open. Don't even get me started on plugins, and such.

Firefox is just okay in my opinion. Not terribly bad, or good. It has tons of plugins/add-ons ( could someone explain the difference? O.o ) Unfortunately, Firefox has always made an impact on my system that makes it slow down significantly ( and consumes mucho memory, in my experience ).

Opera is a nice in - between of Firefox and chrome as far as performance vs rendering. It has a little less support than chrome as far as HTML5 is concerned, but a little better performance than firefox. I can haz content.

Safari probably runs great on a mac, but on my windows machines that have ever ran it, it's pretty slow to start up, and only mediocre once it's started. However, it does share the web-renderer with chrome, so I suppose it's not all that bad.

Yup, that's pretty much it. I myself prefer to use Chrome.

• 2 weeks later...

I say it's ultimately your preference...as long as you don't use IE...

IE is horridly slow and incompatible with a lot of things. I believe the only reason that it's even still around is because it's bundled with the majority of Windows installs and the less savvy users just use what comes out of the box.

My run down of the worthwhile browsers:

Mozilla Firefox:

+ Add-ons and extensions galore

+ Supported by a team that cares about their browser

+ Compatible with the majority of the web today

- The more add-ons and extensions you install, the slower it becomes and the more resources it consumes

- Mozilla is not supporting older versions AT ALL a week after the latest version comes out

(- Some server management stuff does not work with it)

(- Not easily deployed to a large user base, and it doesn't help that Mozilla is now using a 6 week update schedule)

Google Chrome:

+ Fast to install AND to use

+ Interface is simple

+ Google supports it

+/- Updates almost weekly

- Hard to find a changelist for the updates

- Not as customizable as other worthwhile browsers, even with extensions and apps from the Chrome Webstore

(- Not easily deployed to a large user base, and by default it only installs from the web for the current user)

Opera: (Never used it, but this is what I have heard...don't hold me to it)

+ Completely customizable

+ Powerful and can handle almost anything you throw at it

(+ Easily deployed in business environments)

+/- Not the worst at anything, but not the best at anything

- Not simple in the least; you need to really know what you're doing to get it configured

Safari: (Never used it, but I've heard about it at work and from both Mac and PC user-friends)

+ Extremely fast (but only on Macs)

+ Compatible with most things (more Mac-related things though)

- Really slow on Windows machines as it is designed for Macs

- Designed for Apple-designed content and mediatypes; Apple wants their stuff to come first